SHEEP-STEALING.— Three aborigines, named Ned Tittawitta, Johnny Gumflat, and Johnny Pointpiercer, pleaded guilty to the charge of stealing 213 sheep, the property of Thomas Rogers, Yorke's Peninsula, on the 13th August last. They were committed to gaol for six months with hard labour.

Sheep-stealing.—Four aboriginals, named respectively - Adelaide Bob, Coorowampa Wheelbarrow Jemmy, and Tommy, have been brought over from Yorke's Peninsula in the cutter Endeavour, in charge of two policemen, charged with stealing 220 sheep at Yorke Valley, Yorke's Peninsula, the property of Thomas Rogers. They were taken before the Police Magistrate on Thursday, but remanded till Monday next for the attendance of Mr. Moorhouse, the Protector of Aborigines.


Wallaroo Times and Mining Journal (Port Wallaroo, SA : 1865 - 1881), Saturday 28 December 1867, page 2

The flat race, 200 yards, was won by a blackfellow, " Jemmy," who distanced his competitors, notwithstanding his spindle shanks.

We are informed that the native who won the prize at the foot race, on 26th instant (£1 5s), elated with his sudden accession of fortune, so far forgot his sense of propriety—although a married man as to make proposals to a sable Louisa to become Mrs Black Jemmy number two.
The lady, probably enticed by the wealth as well as prowess of her suitor, consented, and accompanied him to Messrs Hamilton Brothers to procure a new rig in the style of the first London Houses." Being decked out in the latest fashion, so far as the 253 would go,—including even a petite bonnet, if we are rightly informed,—the happy bride accompanied her husband to Kadina to spend the honeymoon. We are lol-l Jemmy has no intention of altogether discarding Mrs Jemmy number one, but probably thinks if he can earn money so easily he can afford to keep two wives instead of one.

One of those curious but interesting exhibitions, ceremonies, or whatever they may be called, a native corroboree, took place in the vicinity of Moonta on the evening of Feb. 3. The corroboree was a very grand one, no less than two kings being present, King Tommy and King Jemmy, with, no doubt, the requisite number of queens,' princesses, and princes. King Jemmy is said to have been rather a remarkable man as far as corporal structure was concerned, his frame being evidently a powerful and muscular one. Two tribes were present, numbering, in the aggregate, about one hundred and fifty persons. As the sun went down immense fires were lighted, and by the pale light of the moon, and the ruddy glare of the fires, the sable warriors yelled, danced, and performed. Each one was naked, with the exception of a cloth tied round his loins, and the paint of various colors which had been daubed all over his body. The wildness of the scene, the weird look of the paint bedaubed, pie-bald looking blacks, the sombre relief into which the trees and shrubs in the background were cast by the flickering light of the wood fires, formed a strange and imposing picture, vividly impressing itself on the memories of the spectators, of whom there were from two to three hundred from Moonta present.


Sat 2 Jan 1875. Adelaide Observer (SA : 1843 - 1904) Trove

At Boorkooyanna, Point Pierce, the Mission Station of the Yorke's Peninsula Aborigines Friends' Association, a marriage in " high life" has been celebrated with unusual surroundings, Prince "John," the acknowledged heir of "Tom," the King, having led his coloured affiance to the hymeneal aItar. At 11 a.m. there were evident signs of the approaching event as the natives gathered wearing holiday dresses, cheerfully smiling, and indulging in ringing laughter. The day before a conveyance had been sent for the King and Queen, who were found some miles away 'at the royal wurley feasting on kangaroo, followed by a smoke of the " backie pipe" as a favourite dessert. The bridegroom-elect acted as coachman to their Majesties, who were accompanied by a favourite few. Having arrived at the Mission Station they reported themselves, and then passed the night in the open air. Early next morning our Kadina correspondent had a formal and cordial introduction to the monarch and his consort, and he has furnished the following report:—

" The King is advanced in years, and is rather grey. He was dressed in striped trousers which were rather too narrow for him, but his coat was of excellent quality and admirable fit; it showed his fine proportions to great advantage. His Crimean shirt was scrupulously clean, boots he had none, and his royal big toe appeared to have seen much active service in the battle of life. His brow bore no diadem or other insignia of regal descent, but had an ample crop of curly black hair that seemed to testify of absolute liberty run wild. He is about five feet nine inches high, and a little over 12 stone in weight, with broad square shoulders, light limbs, and broad flat feet. The sovereign's eyes are full and clear, and he can look you straight in the face. His organs of benevolence, veneration, and firmness are fully developed, especially the last, while his combativeness is less than his acquisitiveness, and contrary to expectations moral faculties are decidedly more prominent than animal. The Queen is a fine specimen of her race, considerably above the average size. Her cranium indicates natural ability and good temper; yet contrary to the common opinion that all lubras are slaves to their husbands, she manifested the fact that she had a will of her own, for when the King ordered her to go 300 yards on a message she absolutely refused, then told him to go himself, and the autocrat obeyed. An old misanthrope suggests that this is one of the surest signs of civilization and refinement in female life. The bride-elect is an honour to her tribe and a favourite at the Station, where she has been for six or seven years. She is able to read and write welL The bridegroom is a noble specimen of the genus homo, and shares not more than a moiety of the blood of the second son of Noah. He is above average size, and his physique challenges the attention of even a moderately observant eye.

An interesting occurrence took place at 9 o'clock in the morning, when the King and Queen went to inspect the palace just finished and designed for the permanent residence of the young couple. It Is externally oblong, measuring by estimation 378 inches by 168 inches, with a corresponding height of walls, carrying well-selected mallee rafters, to which is fastened with ample cordage a well-set covering that has been gathered from the marshy portions of the neighbouring plain. The main entrance has a plain batten door with latch and string. The first object that strikes attention in tbe interior is the dinning-table. Turning towards the fireplace—which every Englishman does when he enters a room unless some special object attract—the mantleshelf and its adornings meet the eye, flanked on each side by two sets of shelves well furnished with culinary and kindred utensils. After gazing at these for some time and carefully examining some knives and forks, the King burst into a hearty laugh, saying " All same as whitefellow.'' The room is furnished with an excellent iron bedstead, a washstand, sundry seats, &c. The parents seemed thoughtful while inspecting the furniture, and His Majesty said, "Me like one house too.'' The interest is heightened when it is known that under the architectural direction of the Rev. Mr. Knhn; formerly connected with the Moravian Church, the Prince was the builder of his own house; and not only so, but has parchased the furniture out of his savings since he resided at the Station. He has still a handsome balance, which he is husbanding to meet contingencies. Before the wedding the Queen was called into the Mission-house and dressed in a new robe. It fitted well, and this, with a knot of ribbon on her breast, excited her husband's admiration and approval, but she said little. The morning was. very fine, and there was unusual briskness at an early hour; even a large parrot in the eastern verandah seemed to catch the spirit of the day. He whistled the first part of 'There's nae luck aboot the hoose,' and paused. I will not say that the songster did not think it wise to finish this, but he began and ended the next tune as if he considered it more appropriate to give 'Pop goes the weasel.' Pots and pans and crockery were rattling under the basty touch of happy native maidens' fingers, and snatches of whistle and song were bom on the early breeze of mom. At 11 o'clock the schoolroom presented a striking appearance. Seats in horseshoe form were placed for the spectators, while on the right of the desk the Queen took her place; and the King, who led the bride, having safely left his charge to the care of three bridesmaids, resumed his seat. To tire left of the desk Mrs. Kuhn and her daughter sat, and near them a number of young girls stood in rank each holding a beautiful bouquet of freshly-plucked flowers. The boys stood opposite similarly equipped. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Mr. Kuhn, assisted by the Rev. B. G. Bayley, Congregational mhustar. The bridegroom spoke in a clear full voice and in a spirit and manner calculated to win approval; and the bride, after a long struggle to keep her feelings under control, wept. Mrs. Kuhn, a close observer of character and with some knowledge of practical philosophy, was instantly at the side of the bride, and by taking a firm hold of her arm inspired sufficient self-possession. As soon as the marriage ceremony and the address which followed were over the girls who held bouquets, led by Miss Selina Kuhn, presented them to the Princess, while the boys handed theirs to the Prince. The marriage was by special licence, and as the pair were under age the consent of the parents was obtained according to law. King Tom's sign manual, in the form of three heavy crosses, having been witnessed as ' his mark,' refreshments were liberally supplied to all who chose to partake, and then a conveyance to Victoria Bay, where a boat awaited the party, completed the arrangements made for the royal marriage at Boorkooyanna.

" So far as your reporter has seen I gladly bear testimony to the excellent arrangements and the prosperity of this Mission Station. At public worship I was greatly pleased with the evident reverence of the natives, also with their very good singing. I have examined their writing copies, which bear evidence of care, and am satisfied that the certificates forwarded to the Registrar-General, signed by four natives, are quite equal to the average penmanship of South Australians. That the ignorant savage is here being raised into a state of intelligent civilization is a statement at which the sceptic may shake his head; nevertheless it is true, and the Boorkooyanna Mission Station not only gives promise of success, but success there has already been achieved. Several of the non-resident natives ask for medicine for pains and wounds, to all of which requests the m&t prompt attention is paid by Mrs. Knhn; and on the day that I spent at the station two females and two children 12 or 14 miles seeking medical aid—one for dysentary and another for measles. One of the patients informed me that she had on a former occasion received efficient medical help from Mrs. Kuhn."

Fri 19 Nov 1886, Yorke's Peninsula Advertiser (SA : 1878 - 1922) Trove

Death of King Tommy.—On the 15th inst., at the Mission Station, Point Pearce, Old King Tommy, head man of the aboriginals on Yorke's Peninsula, joined the great majority. With him no doubt ends the line of kings belonging to this tribe. His father, grand and great-grandfather, occupied the same position. From what was known of the old man's urbanity and kindness, his rule must have been a mild one. His kindness begat kindness from others. He was loved by all the natives both young and old. He was well known by the old settlers on Yorke's Peninsula, and was receiving a pension from Sir W. W. Hughes up to the time of his death. To all appearance he had attained to his threescore years and ten, and up to within the last few months was hale and hearty. He has often told his experience with the first white men he met, which meeting took place on Wauraltee Island, Some sailors came ashore and gave him a smoke, which made him sick. He thought "white fellow poison him." Not-withstanding this experience he took to smoking, which he did not give up until compelled by Nature's inevitable law. The Superintendent of the Mission had a conversation with him about two hours before he died, when he said he was going to leave, and hoped it might be soon. He had no fears and was perfectly resigned. His stories of travel were quite interesting. Before the whites settled on the Peninsula he has gone up the Murray for grasstree to light fires, and was never molested by the other natives. He has frequently swam to Wauraltee Island with a fire stuck in his hair. The distance is between 2 and 3 miles, but he would choose low tide for it, when he could occasionally rest on sandbars. We doubt if any of the young ones would do it, as they are too much frightened of sharks. His wife, Queen Mary, died about five years ago. She, too, was as fine a type of a native woman as we have ever met. One son of the old woman's, a half-caste, with his two sons and two grandchildren, children of a daughter of the old man's, remain, but it is not likely they will ever wield the sceptre over the aboriginals on Yorke's Peninsula.

(point pearce's oldest resident passes.

Point Pearce's oldest resident, Mr Robert Wanganeen, passed away at the Wallaroo Hospital on Monday, July 12th.

The late Mr Wanganeen, who was 93 years of age came to Point Pearce Mission from Poonindie Station when he was a boy, and has lived there ever since, where he was held in high esteem by all who knew him.

In his younger days he was employed on the station clearing sheoak scrub, lumping wheat at Balgowan general farm work, bullock driving, and was for a number of years employed by Mr S. Moody on his farm. He was also coach driving for the officers in charge of the Mission Station. The deceased, prior to his death, was the oldest native in any institution in South Australia.

He was married in 1880, his wife predeceased him five years ago. Nine chiidren were born and five survive. There are 34 grandchildren, 81 greatgrandchildren and 4 great-great-grandchildren. He was buried in the Mission cemetery. Rev. Northern officiating at the graveside.



Known in many parts of the State as an expert shearer, Tom Adams (aged 84 years), an aborigine, of Point Pearce Mission Station, can look back on many interesting experi ences of the early days. Born at Skilly, near Balaklava, he was as a small boy transferred to Poonindie Mission on the West Coast, which was founded by Bishop Hale. So far as can be ascertained, he is the only surviving inhabitant of that mission who was resident there during the control of Bishop Hale. He remained there until the mission land was cut up. He was always among the sheep, and tended the flocks to keep the dingoes (which were numerous) from destroying them. White people were few and far between, but in numerable natives would come and go, and were always assisted with food and clothing by the bishop, who was known as 'father' by all the natives far and near. When a young man Tom took on shearing as an occupation, and has not mised a season since. As far north as Beltana, and in the north west of this State he has gone to fulfil shearing engagements, and for nine consecutive years shore for Mr. J H. Angas of Hill River Estate.

At one time during his career he received a challenge from a notable shearer who had a reputation for high tallies. They met and Tom easily disposed of his rival, shearing 140 sheep without being troubled by the 'big-gun' shearer. He afterwards received offers to go to New Zealand and Queensland, but was content to remain in this State. Tom does not class the shearers of to-day with the old hands, as they are mainly out for high tallies and do not, he thinks, give of their best in the way of good high-class shear ing. Tom Adams was born a generation ahead of the advent of the shearing machine, with which, it is believed, he would have made history as one of the foremost shearers of Aus trala. His surviving children are Messrs. T. F. and C. Adams, and Mesdames R. Wilson, J. Edwards, H. Angie, and W. Salisbury, senr. All live at Point Pearce.

OLDEST NATIVE OF POINT PEARCE Tom Adams, Expert Shearer, Passes at 89 (An Appreciation by "G. M.")

Tom Adams, oldest native at Point Pearce Mission Station, died on Monday while sitting in his chair. He was known in many parts of the State as an expert shearer, and was about 89 years of age. Scarcely knowing what a day's illness was, Tom Adams had lived a true openair life. Surely one could not wish a more fitting close to a long life of outdoor activity. He appeared to be well and healthy to the end.

Tom has now laid down the spade, hoe, and shears, for right up to the last shearing season he performed his work. A greater shearer than he never tramped the bush to follow his calling. He claimed to be the first legitimate halfcaste born in South Australia. From information gleaned from him, it can be safely recorded as correct. Born at Skilly, near, Balaklava, he was when a boy transferred to Poonindie Mission, on the West Coast, under Bishop Hale. Later the mission property was subdivided and Tom, with his wife and family, moved to Point Pearce. For years as a shearer he had tramped the West Coast, which was then little known; as well as the northern parts of this State. For nine consecutive years he had sheared for Mr. J. H. Angas, of Hill River Estate. He had been offered good positions in other States, but always remained in South Australia.

Tom was one of the few men of his type. Hard work and arduous times could not make inroads on his physique. He was at the time of his death as upright in stature as when in his teens. This is surely evidence that the present generation, which lives in ease and comfort, cannot compare with the rugged type of our pioneers. Tom's memory will always be revered at Point Pearce as a true type of natural-born Australian citizen. He has left four daughters and two sons, all of whom are at Point Pearce. He was also responsible for the upbringing of John Milera, a much-respected native of Point Pearce. "OVER THE BORDER" Just over the border, Gone to his rest. Tramped his last tramp on the station--. One of the best. Just over the border, Into the Haze. But to live, and to work, and to die, Tom has shown us "It pays."


The Chief Protector of Aborigines (Mr. F. Garnett) writes:—Mrs. Louie Adams died at the Point Pearce Aborigines Station on September 23. She was about 85 years of age, and was one of the oldest natives on the station, being much respected and loved by all her people, because of her many estimable qualities. She and her husband lived originally on the Poonindie Mission Station, until that institution was closed, when they went to Point Pearce. She always spoke of Bishop Hale, the founder of Poonindie Mission, with veneration and affection. Her husband, Tom Adams, who is also about 85 years of age, has had a magnificent constitution, and has always lived a temperate life. This year, notwithstanding his advanced age, he again took his stand as a shearer of the station sheep, and did good work. He began shearing in his teens, and has never missed a season, following the work from shed to shed, and averaging, until recent years, his 100 sheep a day, shorn with blades in a way to delight a squatter's heart.


One of the few of the remaining pureblooded natives died at the Point 'Pearce Mission Station on the last night of the old year, says the Register. The old man, Ben Simms, took his cognomen from one of the oldest families in Moonta under romantic circumstances, He was working for Mr Simms, and told Mrs Simms that he was going to be married. She said, " You must have a name, then," and promptly he took the name of Simms. He was thrice married, but survived all his partners. Ben Simms was buried on New Year's Day in the Point Pearce Cemetery.

News (Adelaide, SA : 1923 - 1954), Tuesday 28 September 1943, page 3

M.M. for Half-Caste Who "Killed a Few Japs" Corporal Tim Hughes, a half-caste aboriginal, formerly of Point Pearce Mission Station, was recently awarded the Military Medal for conspicuous bravery at Milne Bay.

WHEN home on leave, he was asked by his mother how he had won the award, and he replied. "Oh, for killing a few Japs, like everyone else over there." Cpl. Hughes, who is 23, has been in the A.I.F. for more than three years. He served in England, Tobruk, and Syria before the New Guinea cam paign. The secretary of the Aboridines' Protection Board Board (Mr. Penhall) said today that he could not recall any other instances of aborigines having been honored by military awards. Cpl. Hughes is a son of Mrs. G. Elphick, of Ann street, West Thebarton, and of the late Mr. Walter Hughes. His father died six years ago. Mrs. Elphick said today that her son was educated at Point Pearce Mission Station. He had worked in the salt industry, and at grapepicking, before enlisting. He had been actively associated with the Maitland Methodist Church and Sunday school. "Tim never mentions the war, or his experiences, in his letters." said his mother. "A couple of his mates told me he was going to be recommended for the medal, so I asked him about it when he was home on leave. "He brought me back a 7-lb. tin of lollies all the way from New Guinea. He said it had been given to him by 'the Yanks,' and he was determined to hang on to it until he got home." She said Tim was fond of the sea, and for a time had thought of joining the Navy.



The carnival held at the Wayville Showgrounds under the auspices of he Underdale Athletic Club was a pronounced success. It was the club's seventh annual venture, and the large fields and good attendance testified to the Excellence of the organisation. The club arranged for Tim Banner, the ex-world's champion, to appear, and many spectators journeyed to the oval to see this runner in action.

A Point Pearcenative, R. Wilson, began by winning the first heat of the Sheffield easily in 11 4-5 sec., and anotner native, F. Karpenny, won the succeeding heat, and still another, in F. Warrior, qualified for the second round in the eighth....


Wins Underdale Gift And Handicap

A TEAM of Aboriginal runners from the Point Pearce Mission Station' surprised local competitors in races at the Gift meeting of the Underdale Athletic Club at the Wayville Oval yesterday. The best of the team was R. T. Wilson, a sturdily built fellow, who won the Underdale Gift and the .75 yards handicap, the chief events of the programme. Wilson won the first heat, of the Underdale Gift race- in 11 4-6 sees., and another member of the team, F. Fv Karpenny, von the second heat easily. Wilson broke the tape about a yard ahead' of G. Bead in the final in 11 4-5 sees. Then in the 75 yards handicap Wilson and another team-mate. Warrior, trained first and -second place in seven seconds.. Karpenny brilliantly won a heat of the 4iO yards event, but failed in the final, H. Lang won the Old Buffers' championship (75 yards) for the third time. The 100 yards match race between Tim Banner, former world's champion, and W. E. £. Mobbs (4) and M. J. Dunn (2) was won by Banner by inches. His time was ft 0-10 sees. Miss Myrtle Thomas, woman champion cyclist of the State, did not strike her top form in the final of the women's half-mile race, and was easily defeated by Misses Paget and Maddiford.

Unusual Charge

An unusual case brought under the Aborigines Act was heard last week. Phillis Angie, 22, domestic, of Point Pearce, was charged that, being an aborigine, she refused to remain within the Point Pearce aborigines' reserve, to which she had been removed by the Aborigines' Protection Board. She pleaded guilty and was ordered imprisonment for six weeks.


News (Adelaide, SA : 1923 - 1954), Tuesday 18 December 1934, page 3

Paintings From Pt. Pearce The Director of the Art Gallery (Mr. Leslie Wilkie) has returned to Adelaide from the Point Pearce Aborigine Mission, where he painted nine natives. The paintings were secured as a record of the coloring and features of South Australian aborigines. "It was hard work from morning until night," Mr. Wilkie said today. "One day the temperature reached 109 degrees. Some of the natives spoke English exceptionally well. In fact their intonation and form of speech was superior to that of many white men. The natives Mr. Wilkie painted belonged to the Narrinyeri tribe. The paintings will be placed on exhibition at the Art Gallery.



A distressing happening in connection with the visit of Point Pearce natives to Gawler on Monday last was their appearance in the Gawler Court on Tuesday morning, charged with being in unlawful possession of liquor. The defendants were Herbert John Milera, Norman Lennox Angle, Wilfred Lawrence Wanganeen, Edgar Wanganeen, Leslie Nortnari Wanganeen and Alfred O'Loughlin who pleaded not guilty.

Mounted Cons. Smith, of Gawler, gave evidence that on Tuesday morning at about 10 o'clock he walked into the Globe Hotel at the South end of Murray Street, and in the parlor at the back of the bar saw the defendants seated at a table. Each had a glass of liquor in their hands. He said to the licensee — 'I'm surprised at you coming at this sort of thing.' The landlord replied, 'They pestered me that much for drink, and said that if I gave them a drink they would just get away, and so I decided to give them one to get rid of them.' One of the defendants then said, 'You are pretty hard on us. Three butchers of beer among six of us. That much would do no harm, hardly a mouthful for each.' Witness said, ''Who is going to have the beer?' and received the reply, 'We were going to have a 1/3 glass each.' The constable then said to Milera; 'I thought you were a T.T.?' Milera replied, 'Yes, I did say that, but we have always to put up these sort of tales.' Another said, 'We were going to whack it up amongst us.' He took their names and got them to the police station, where the charge was made out.

Virtually each defendant, who was tried separately, told the same tale that they went into the hotel to bid good-bye to the landlord, and they saw the three butchers of beer on the counter. They had had none of the liquor, and what the constable stated was not true. The Bench (Messrs. Cox and Bright, J's.P.) smiled when one broke out: 'I just walked in with a cobber to bid farewell to the landlord.' The charges were considered proved, and a conviction without penalty was recorded with 15/ costs in each case, in default three days' imprisonment.


A novel football match was played on the Jubilee Oval last Saturday afternoon between a representative team from Gawler and a team comprising aborigines along the Murray, and from the Point Pearce Mission Station. The natives played and kicked surprisingly well, and some of them were amazingly fast. The game was keen, but nevertheless clean and friendly throughout. The final scores were:—Natives, 12 goals 19 bchinds; Gawler, 10 goals, 17 behinds. Our composite shows:—1. The aborigines team and supporters. 2. A scramble for the leather. 3. The Gawler representatives. 4. Native women at the match.



The death of Princess Amelia, which recently occurred at the Point Pearce Mission Station, removed not only a familiar figure from the streets of Moonta, but also the last of the tribe of natives which formerly occupied the district where Adelaide now stands. Amelia was her maiden name, but she married Mr. C. J. Savage, pi Moonta, and for many years they resided in Moonta and at North Moonta. A few weeks ago she was not enjoying gobd health, and went to the mission station at Point Pearce, where she died .

Princess Amelia was a daughter of he head of the tribe to which she belonged. A representative of 'The Advertiser' who interviewed her some time ago in the interests of native nomenclature, found that although aged she still possessed a fair memory, and more than average native intelligence. She had been educated in some of the early Adelaide public schools. She said that Princess Amelia Walker was the name she was known by among the white people of Adelaide when she was a 'girl, but her native name was Princess Everety, and that she was the only surviving member, of the Lundagunya tribe of aborigines. She was a daughter of the last king, who was at the head of the tribe when the whites were surveying the city of Adelaide. Her father's name, she said, was King Perna Adyunda Rudkee. but the white settlers called him King Rodney for short. Princess Everety related interesting matters concerning her father, the tribe generally, their customs and warfare, and gave accurate information concerning the settlement of Adelaide when the district was covered with gum trees and mallee, and later when it became dotted here and there with the homes of settlers. Some of the information she imparted was amusing as well as informative. The white people, she said, among other things, induced her father to don European clothes in the early days, and when he went' out so attired to his people they all bolted from camp into the bush, and he after them. They ran miles before they learned that it was the king from whom they ran. A light-hearted soul was Princess Amelia, quick to see a joke, and hearty was the laughter that fol lowed. She must have been nearly 90 when she died.

News (Adelaide, SA : 1923 - 1954), Thursday 11 August 1927, page 15


Trophy for Best Display

"Is boomerang throwing among the aborigines of South Australia dying out?" Spectators at the Charity Carnival will be able to answer this question themselves after seeing in action three competitors who have journeyed from Point McLeay and Point Pearce to show their skill with the curved wood.

Features of the last Charity Carnival were the skilled exhihitions by Clarence Long and George Murray, two full blooded aborigines from Point McLeay. This year, through the courtesy of Mr. C. Ranmey (former superintendent of Point MLceay) and Mr. J. B. Steer (superintendent of Point Pearce Station), it has been possible to arrange a compe tition between exponents of boomerang and spear throwing, native arts which are dying with the fast-disappearing aborignal race. The competitors are:- Clarence Long, of Point McLeay; Jim Johnson, of Point Pearce; Frank Blackmoore, of Point Pearce. A trophy will he awarded, to the native who gives the best exhibition.


News (Adelaide, SA : 1923 - 1954), Saturday 13 August 1927, page 8

Uncanny Boomerang Throwing An exhibition of boomerang and spear throwing began the arena proceedings for the day. Bedecked in war-paint and fea thers three full-blooded aborigines -Clarence Long, of Point McLeay, and Jim Johnson and Frank Blackmore, of Point Pearce, delighted the large crowd. Sir Edward Lucas, who judged a com petition of a similar nature later in the afternoon tried his hand at boomerang throwing with fair success. The aboriginies were handicapped in their exhibition by being new to the boomerangs used. Their uncanny efforts nevertheless brought looks of wonderment on the faces of many of the spectators.


The Chief Inspector of Aborigines, in' his report for the year 1915-16, states that 20 aboriginal South Australians were accepted for active service in the expeditionary forces. Several others offered, but were rejected. The enrolled men hailed from the following 'centres:— Point Macleay Station, 11; Point Pearce Station, 3; Wellington, 3; Coorong, 1; Goolroa, 1; and Victor Harbour, 1.

Natives Enter Machine Age

A regulation approved by Executive Council yesterday empowers Government officers to take action against natives for dangerous driving on aboriginal reserves. Many natives at the Point Pearce and Point McLeay reserves own cycles and managers of both stations are believed to be concerned about the danger of accidents.



The second reading of a Bill to make better provision for committing half-caste aboriginal children to institutions under the control of the State Children's Council was moved by the Commissioner of Public Works (Hon. W. Hague) in the Assembly on Tuesday. The Minister said the Bill referred to the children at the Point Pearce and Point McLeay mission station, where there are 95 and 81 children respectively between the ages of one and 14 years. There were practically no full-blooded native children on the stations. Experience had shown that when the half-castes grew up on the stations they were unwilling to work, and refused to be placed out. They seemed to regard the mission stations as a permanent home from which they could not be turned away. It was felt that the children should be taken from their present environment and placed in a new atmosphere, free from the contaminating influence of their present mode of life. There was no machinery in the Aborigines' Department for placing out and supervising halfcaste children: but the State Children's Department possessed such machinery, and the Government proposed to hand over those children on the mission stations to the control of the State Children's Council. At present those children could not be taken charge of by the Stat Children's Council except by judicial process. The idea was for the council to take charge of the children and place them out in the homes of the people until they were 18 years of age, when it was hoped they would not be anxious to return to the mission station.

Mr. Allen hoped the measure would not he agreed to. It was a slur on the mission stations, which had been doing good work in the past, and there was not the slightest necessity for it. It was not a humane measure. The Point Pearce Mission was on one of the best-managed stations in the Commonwealth. The natives themselves had feelings which should be considered. Trouble had been caused in the past by interference from well-meaning people outside, who considered they could control the station better than the manager. Unless it was shown that the parents were unable or unwilling to look after their children the Protector of Aborigines had no right to take them away. The way the children were cared for at Point Pearce would be a credit to any white community.

The debate was adjourned.


The Commonwealth decision to allow aborigines to vote meant that about 1,500 natives in South Australia would be entitled to enrol as electors for Senate and House of Representative elections, the Protector of Aborigines (Mr. W. R Penhall) said yesterday. Aborigines had always had the right to enrol for South Australian elections and some who lived in Aborigines Department cottages, were included on the Legislative Council roll as inhabitant occupiers. Mr. Penhall said that it was not unusual for 150 aborigines at the Point Pearce and Point McLeay missions to record 100 p.c. polls at State elections. They had always shown themselves keenly interested in State politics and he recalled a 100 p.c. poll at Point Pearce in which there were no informal votes. More than 100 SA aborigines discharged from the services would now be entitled to a Commonwealth vote.


Wanted To Hear Debate On Aborigines Bill

One of the most alert listeners in the public gallery at the House of Assembly yesterday was Mr. Mark Wilson, one of the four full-blooded aborigines left at the Point Pearce Mission Station.

In Adelaide for treatment for leg trouble. Mr. Wilson visited Parliament House in the hope of hearing some of the debate on the Bill which proposes to transfer the control of aborigines to a board. In this he was disappointed, as the debate was not resumed yesterday.

Mr. Wilson, however, made good use of his opportunity by interviewing the Independent member for his district, (Mr. Davies), whom he supplied with information which Mr. Davies proposes to use when he speaks on the Bill next I week.

Mr. Wilson's sentiments can be summed up in his remark to Mr. Davies that "the present system of control has now had 100 years to prove itself, and it hasn't."

Mr. Wilson"s visit recalls an Incident at the Point Pearce station during the last State election campaign when he was asked to preside at a meeting held by Mr. Davies. Mr. Wilson startled the whites present by declaring in perfect English, when opening the meeting, "I would like to stress the fact I that brain and intellect are not the exclusive heritage of any race or color."

The population at Point Pearce Is about 300, and produced about 80 votes at the last election.

Y.P. Dies

The death of a wellknown Yorke Pen. aborigine, at Malvern at the week-end, was announced by the Protector of Aborigines (Mr. W. It. Penhall) this week.

Mr. Penhall said that Joe was one of the most notable natives he had ever come in contact with. He was an expert at farm fencing, and have done hundreds miles of fencing in his around Point Pearce.

He was a highly respected citizen, and a confirmed church-goer. An expert athlete and footballer, Joe was especially known for his cricket ability.

"If Joe had been properly in footwork, he'd represented Australia at cricket," Mr. Penhall said.

"One match we played together, in which I was captain of the team, was at Urania in 1920. We made partnership score of 150 in 90 minutes, Joe making 102. He was a fine type of man."

500 Aborigines To See Queen

Provision has been made for more than 500 aborigines to see the Royal Progress through Adelaide, the State director of the royal tour (Mr. M. A. F. Pearce) said yesterday.

Forty native children from the hostel at Alice Springs and 40 natives from Ernabella Mission would see the Progress in Hindley street. Space would be provided in Light square for 50 children from the United Aborigines' Mission.

These children would come from Colebrook Home and from parts of the River Murray.

Four hundred natives from Point McLeay and Point Pearce Mission stations would see the Royal Progress from North terrace.

The Protector of Aborigines was arranging for natives from Port Augusta and Alice Springs to visit Whyalla to see the Queen, Mr. Pearce said.

Fifty natives from Koonibba Mission would present a display at Whyalla.


Whilst Mr. Robert Thomson was hunting for horses this morning in the vicinity of an old well distant a mile from the township he heard human sounds, and proceeding to the well discovered a native named Charley, of Point Pearce Station, in an exhausted condition at the bottom of the well. The man fell down last night. Assistance was speedily obtained, and the native was hauled to the surface with ropes. It was found that he had sustained severe injury, and also that wine had been supplied to him. He was conveyed to the Mission Station for treatment. The matter is in the hands of the police for investigation, as this is not the first case of wine having been supplied to natives.