... Agery Home Page ...
Agery - The name, taken from the local Agery Swamp, is a corruption of the Aboriginal word ngadjali meaning ‘pipe clay’. The Agery Post Office, on section 19, Hundred of Tiparra, 16 km South-East of Moonta, was opened in December 1890, and Agery School in 1880 with Elisha Williams as teacher; it closed in 1982.
District Council of Yorke Peninsula - History of Agery
Agery is believed to be a corruption of the aboriginal word for "pipe clay", "Ngadjali"* and probably refers to a white silt found here**. *Place Names of South Australia **The Geology of Yorke Peninsula. Page 30
On the 8th September, 1945, the Agery Memorial park was dedicated to the men and women of the district who served in the Armed Forces during the Second World War*. *A History of Agery. Page 30
The park surrounds a lake which was once the Agery swamp. In its early years the swamp was fresh water and was used to supplement domestic supplies, however, after it was deepened it turned salty. Agery Centenary 1875-1975. Pg 3
Agery in the Newspapers:-
December 20 1879. Reaping is now in order of the day all round this part of the district, and the farmers are at it early and late, so that there is not much time to think about the markets, especially whilst the price offered is so low as at present. Most of us think the margin between the prices here and those now ruling in England, is too great, and are of opinion that a little more money should fall into the producer's hands.
As a rule, I think about 15 bushels to the acre will be the average about here, but we can scarcely tell until we have finished reaping. The wheat is of good sample, the earn being well filled out, and the grain plump and sound, weighing from 4.25d. to 4.5d. bushels per bag.
Most of the farmers will be rather late before they finish reaping this season, as we have had several cool days, and harvesting operations did not commence quite so early as usual.
Mr. Chamberlain, surveyor, has been here recently and I observe some trial holes have been sunk for the purpose of fixing on a site for a dam. Fiom what I can gather the spot fixed on as the most favorable is a little to the east of the Agery tank, where probably, some of the sections will be reserved, as a water reserve.
The Wesleyans still hold services every Sunday at Mr. Wearne's, but I understand the place is getting rather too strait for them, and the intention is to start building a chapel as soon as the harvest is fairiy over, when most of the farmers will be able.
NEW WESLEYAN CHAPEL, AGERY.
The people at Agery, for several years have been content to meet for divine worship in a wooden building, have decided on the erection of a more commodious and suitable structure, which is being erected by Hague and Co., at a cost of £300, which will give sitting accommodation for about 150, measuring 36 feet by 25. The site is on a piece of land given by Mr B. Bowden, one of the trustees, and is about a mile nearer to the Agery swamp, being more central. On Wednesday Sept. 23, the afternoon being a half-holiday, the business people and others were afforded an opportunity not only in witnessing the somewhat novel ceremony, in the laying of four memorial stones but of seeing the beautiful country, the fields of green corn stretching out on both sides of the road and greeting the eye in every direction. A paddock of 200 acres, belonging to Mr Stacey, and which was not sown until late in July was looking well, and promises from present appearances to return a good yield. Further on about two miles we noticed another large paddock, said to contain 400 acres, and owned by Mr Tiddy of Maitland was fine sight, being from 9 to 12 inches high, this is considered the best in the neighborhood, and is mullenized land, from which three bags per acre were reaped last harvest. The crops generally although short are looking healthy and strong, and will with genial weather the next four or five weeks give an average crop. The Agery dam is half full, but at Kalkabury there is little caught, rain having ceased when a fine stream commenced to run. On arrival at new building, around which three or four hundred people were assembled, the Rev. C. Lane, the circuit minister, who conducted the ceremony, gave out a hymn, which was sung by the audience, the 100th Psalm was then read by Mr Glasson, after which Mr T. L. Brown offered up a short prayer. Before the ceremony commenced Mr Lane announced that Mrs Hancock was to have been present and laid one of the stones, but that through illness it was impossible for her to be present on that occasion a telegram to that effect being received from her husband, Captain Hancock, Wallaroo Mines, but, that Mrs Lane would act as proxy on her behalf. A copy of the memorial was then read, which with copies of the S. A. Advertiser, Y. P. Advertiser, and Wallaroo Times were placed under one of the stones, as follows" The Memorial Stones of this Church were laid by Mesdames Lane, Roach, Wearne and Miss Holman, on Wednesday, September 23, 1885, in the 48th year of the reign of Her Most Gracious, Majesty, Queen Victoria; the Governor of the Colony, Sir William Cleaver Francis Robinson, K.C.M.G., President of the Conference, Rev. C. T. Newman ; Chairman of the Yorke's Peninsula District and Superintendent of the Moonta Circuit, Rev. C. Lane; Trustees of the Church, Rev. C. Lane, W. B. Wearne, Thomas Matters, William Matters, Benjamin Bowden, H. R,. Hancock, J. Butterfield and H. Howlett; Architect, Thomas Jones, C.E.; Contractor, firm of the late T. Hague, (represented by John Snell), at a total cost of about £300 ; Plan of Local Preacher's ; also copies of the above papers. Mr Jones C.E., then called upon the ladies Mesdames Lane, Wearne, Roach, and Miss Holman, to each whom of were presented a beautifully chased silver trowel with their respective names, engraved thereon and occasion of presentation, when each in order laid the stones allotted them under the supervision of Mr Jones, who pronounced them well and duly laid. Mr Lane said it was always customary on occasions like the present to make some remarks as to the doctrine of the church in whose interests they had that afternoon assembled, but would only briefly observe that there were similar to those of the church of England, from which they (the Methodists) had sprung. That the house which they were about to erect was to prepare spiritual stones for the temple of Christ. It would he said be superfluous for him to eulogise the ladies on that occasion, who in no small degree contributed to the happiness and comfort of man, and were always ready in every undertaking to give a helping hand. The proceedings terminated with an invitation to all present to place their donation on the stones. A move was then made for the old chapel, where tea was being prepared, on the road to which one was reminded of the fairs in the old country by the number of horses and vehicles that lined each side of the paddocks, from the handsome wagonette down to the four wheeled farmers waggon were to be found : we attempted to count them but when eighty was reached we gave it up. There could not have been less than 500 people around the old chapel impatiently waiting their turn to sit down and partake of the tempting danties of the small but well protect ad tables, which could only accommodate with a booth at the side 25 at a sitting, so that nearly three hours elapsed before the last batch could be seated. A public meeting subsequently held and presided over by Mr Brown of Moonta Mines, was largely attended, when addresses were delivered by Rev. C. Lane, Mr Glasson and others. The proceeds amounted in all to £64 odd, exclusive of donations promised which, when collected will be over £70. A tea meeting by the Primitives at the Bald Hills the same day, somewhat detracted from the number that attended last year.
LAYING FOUNDATION STONE OF AGERY CHURCH.
Wednesday last was the day fixed for the laying of the foundation stones of the new Agery Wesleyan Church and the usual tea meeting combined. The site commands a very pretty view of the surrounding district, and the church, which will seat about 150 will prove of great value in this thickly populated district. In spite of the threatening clouds that were continually passing over during the morning, the day turned out bright and clear. From noon vehicles of every description, from the handsome four-wheeler down to the farmer's humble market cart, were seen wending their way through the picturesque scrub to the scene of action which was thronged long before the time specified for commencement. It was nearly an hour after the appointed time before the ceremony commenced, owing to some of the ladies being late. After singing a hymn, Mr. Glasson read an appropriate chapter from the Bible, which was followed by prayer by Mr. Brown. The Rev. C. Lane, before asking the ladies to perform the ceremony of laying the stone apologized for the absence of Mrs. Hancock, who was so indisposed that she could not be with them, Mrs. Lane would therefore take her place. He then read the document that was to be placed under the stone, which was as follows :—
"The Memorial Stones of this Church were laid by Mesdames Hancock, Roach, Wearne and Miss Holman, on Wednesday, September 28, 1885, in the 48th "year of the reign of Her Most Gracious Majesty. Queen Victoria; the Governor of the Colony, Sir William Cleaver Francis Robinson, K.C.M.G., &c.; President of the Conference, Rev. C. T. Newman ; Chairman of the Yorke's Peninsula District and Superintendent of the Moonta Circuit, Rev. C. Lane; Trustees of the Church, Rev. C. Lane, W. B. Wearne, Thomas Matters, William Matters, Benjamin Bowden, H. R. Hancock, J. Butterfield and H. Howlett; Architect, Thomas Jones C.E.; Contractor, firm of the late T. Hague, (represented by John Snell), at a total cost of about £300; Plan of Local Preachers; also copies of the South Australian Advertiser, Yorke's Peninsula Advertiser and Wallaroo Times.
Mr. T. Jones then called upon the ladies to lay the four stones, which was done in the following order :—No. 1 stone, Mrs. Lane (for Mrs. Hancock,); No. 2 Mrs. Wearne; No. 3, Mrs. Roach; No. 4, Miss Holman, each being presented with a handsome and splendidly engraved silver trowel, bearing the name and the occasion. After the above had declared the stones well and truly laid.
The REV. CHARLES LANE then said it was customary at such occasions as the present to make a brief statement of the doctrines and discipline of the church. The doctrines, in brief, were those of the Church of England, of which the Methodist Church was a daughter. Her ecclesiastical constitution was, so to speak, a combination of the monarchial idea of the English Church, the aristocrisy of Congregationalism and the democracy of the Presbyterians wielded into one grand whole. The object for which the building was being erected was that of preparing of spiritual stones for the Heavenly Temple, and he prayed many souls would be born for glory within these walls. At the close he returned thanks for the ladies who had laid the memorial stones, after which several handsome donations were laid on the stones, to which the proceeds of the tea being added, the handsome sum of over £60 was realized. An adjournment was then made to the old chapel, where a good tea had been provided, to which many who were able to gain admittance did justice after a long drive. This might be termed a "tea fight" in reality, for to gain admittance one had to properly fight his way in, and then wait his turn to get a seat. The arrangements were not all that could be desired, the room being so small, and the consequence being tea had to be laid upwards of a dozen times, and so the ladies were busily engaged the whole of the afternoon. The usual out door amusements were indulged in by many, while others preferred a stroll round the country. In the evening a public meeting was held, large numbers staying behind, when the ordinary speechifying was indulged in.
ANTHRAX AT AGERY.
Mr C. W. Bowden's Farm quarantined. Two Horses Dead. Following on the recent outbreak of anthrax on Mr Queale'a farm, which has resulted in the loss of 17 head of stock, the discovery of two cases on Mr C. W. Bowden's farm at Agery has caused some concern and uneasiness amongst the stock owners of the district.
The scene of the fresh outbreak is about 10 miles from Moonta and 15 from Queale's farm. .A horse died on Thursday last week, and another on Monday. Deeming the cases to be suspicious Mr Bowden wired the Chief Inspector of Stock, and in response Deputy Chief Inspector (Mr T. H. Williams) was sent to investigate. On arrival he found that the first animal had been buried, but from the description of the symptoms he bad little doubt but that it had died from anthrax. He was able however, to make a post-mortem examination of the second horse, and his examination revealed the presence of the disease. The microscopical examination of the blood also revealed bacteria of anthrax. The body of this horse was burnt to a cinder on the spot, and the farm quarantined.
So far none of the other horses (which are to be inoculated), or the sheep and cattle have shown any symptoms, of the disease.
Inspector Williams, who considers this to be a distinct outbreak from that at Queale's farm, and is hopefal that it will not spread, gave some valuable advice and information respecting the disease during his visit.
The disease, for which there is no known cure, said Mr Williams, destroys the constituent of the blood. He had no idea as to the cause of the disease, but it was possible that the land contained the spores, which very often caused an outbreak. There bad been many suspicious cases in the state, and be was afraid that anthrax was more prevalent than was supposed.
The general symptoms in the early at ages of the disease were :—The animal first goes off its feed, appears dull and lies about, showing colic pains. There might be a slight swelling of a puffy nature about the throat and neck. One of the chief things to notice was the temperature, which often ran up to 106 degrees. On noticing an animal under suspicious conditions owners would do well to seek advice by wiring the Chief-Inspector, who would render every assistance. The Act made it compulsory for owners to report to the Chief-Inspector immediately on noticing any such cases.
It was necessary that caution be exercised by persons handling animals that had died from anthrax as the disease was easily acquired by man. A dead animal should not be dragged away, but burnt on the spot. If the skin was worn through iroin dragging the soil would become contaminated with the bacteria.
During the evening several gentlemen, including the members of the Town Council, at the invitation of Inspector Williams availed themselves of the opportunity of viewing under a powerful microscope specimens of ths germs of anthrax, bubonic plague, and consumption. The Mayor (Mr W. Cowling), on behalf of those present, thanked Mr Williams for the privilege he had afforded them of viewing the specimens, and, In response, the inspector stated that he considered it to be his duty as a Government officer to give the public every Information on such subjects.
MR. ROBERT CARROLL, AGERY.
Sincere regret was expressed when it became known that Mr. Robert Carroll, a highly respected resident of Agery, had passed away suddenly on Friday morning, August 2, at the age of 67 years. Deceased was born in County Galway, Ireland, and was a colonist of 55 years; he leaves a widow and three sons and two daughters. His remains were laid to rest in the Catholic portion of the Moonta cemetery on Sunday, August 4, with those of his beloved mother, who died 13 years ago. Despite the inclement weather, the large procession of vehicles, which numbered about 50, testified to the high esteem in which the deceased was held. The burial service was read bv the Very Rev. Father Blake, of Kadina.
SCHOOL AT AGERY.
In the assembly on Wednesday Air Allen asked whether it was intended to build a school at Agery in accordance with a petition from the residents. The Premier stated that a resident had offered to surrender 2.5 acres of his leasehold, and when the land was secured the Government would consider the question of building a school at an early date.
FARMHOUSE BURNED AT AGERY.
On Thursday on the estate of Mr. John Welch, at Agery, Yorkes Peninsula, a substantial farmhouse, with the whole of its contents, was destroyed by fire. The dwelling had been tenanted for several years by Messrs. R. H. and A: G. Burns, young share farmers. Since October, 1914, the younger partner has been on war service with the 9th Light Horse Regiment, and has regularly remitted the bulk of his pay to his brother to provide assistance on the farm during his absence. On Saturday last, owing to a brother (Pt. A. J. Moar) of Mrs. R. H. Burns having recently been killed in action in France, Mr. Burns journeyed to Milang with his wife and their family to condole with the bereaved parents. They were on their way back to Agery when they learned of the total destruction of their home and furniture. The fire was accidentally caused by a lighted match. The house was the property of Mr. Welch. Nothing was in sured.
A very successful fair, which was organised by the ladies of the local Methodist church to raise funds for the purchase of a piano for the Sunday school, was held on Wednesday last. Mr J. H. Colliver, of Arthurton, after a very fine address, reminiscent of the pioneering days of Agery, congratulated the women folk on their enterprise and declared the fair open. Little Ruth Lodge and Maureen Bowden presented Rev. Offler (chairman) and' Mr Colliver with a pretty buttonhole each . Brisk business was transacted at the various stalls and every article was sold, the total takings amounting to between £18 and £19. Afternoon and high tea were served, and patrons were treated to a delightfully sumptuous feast. The tables were daintily and tastefully decorated and laden with such edibles that reflected great credit on the ladies who prepared them. Everything went with a swing and not a single hitch occurred to mar the whole proceedings. In the evening a concert was given and the items were well received, and grateful thanks are extended to all who contributed to the entertainment. The ladies who worked on the stalls under the supervision of Mrs Alf. Eden were untiring in their efforts to make the venture a success and they must feel gratified (writh the splendid results. Also the ladies who provided the wants of the "inner man" are to be specially commended for the excellent spread. Those who took part in the concert were Mr and Mrs Len. Lodge, Mrs C. White, Mrs Hartley Cadd, Mr Dan Pedler, Master Hugh Mutton and Rev. A. Hemmings.
Back to Agery.
During the afternoon a meeting of trustees was held, to discuss the "Back to Agery" jubilee celebrations, and a committee was formed, comprising the whole of the trustees, to make preliminary arrangements. Mr Alf. Eden was appointed secretary and Mr C. W.
Bowden chairman. It was resolved to fix the event for September, 1935 the definite date to be determined later. There are to be renovations to the church and fence, and prices are to be obtained for the erection of a porch at the front entrance. It is considered that the celebrations will develop into a big affair.
Glorious rains have fallen during the week and crops are making a good recovery after the severe north winds.
Flu is very prevalent in the district, and several families are down with it.
Mr S. Tunkin, who is 91 years of age, : had the misfortune to fall last week and injure his hip, consequently he is confined to his bed and is suffering great pain.
SILVER WEDDING AT AGERY.
Mr and Mrs C. W. Bowden, of Agery, celebrated the silver jubilee of their wedding:. They were married at Balaklava in 1910 by Pastor Day. Mr Bowden is a son of the late Mr and Mrs Benjamin Bowden, who were among the pioneers of the Agery district, and original members of the Agery church. Mrs Bowden was Eleanor B. Tunkin, daughter of Mr Samuel and the late Mrs Tunkin, and was born at Mintaro. She is president of the Women's Guild at Agery. Mr Bowden has represented Agery ward in the Clinton District Council for nine years, and has been chairman of the school committee for the same period. He is also an active member of the Moonta Glee Club. There are four children. About 100 friends joined in the celebration. Decorations to the wedding cake were done by Mr Len Lodge. Toasts were honored by the Rev. G. B. Tucker, the Mayor of Moonta (Mr R. J. Hughes), and Mr . Lloyd Howlett. Mr Bowden proposed : the toast of the bridesmaids, two of whom (Mesdames W. T. Bowden and A. Eden) were present. Others who spoke were Messrs L. H. Bowden, A. Eden, and E. H. Hancock, and R. R. Bowden. Mrs Hartley Cadd, Misses Clarice Edwards; Winnie Allen, Doris and Mary Bowden, and Mr Dan Pedler contributed to a musical program.
BACK TO AGERY. CHURCH JUBILEE CELEBRATIONS.
These celebrations, which commenced on Saturday, September 7th, and terminated on Monday night 9th, mark an epoch in the history of Agery. The attendant successn exceeded expectations.
The church building, the land for which was donated by the late Mr Benjamin Bowden, cost £230 according to an old balance-sheet. The late Mr John Snell, of Moonta, was the contractor for the carpentry work, and the masonry, work was done by the late Mr Thos. Prisk, who was assisted by the late Mr H. Breaker. The vestry was built about the year 1912. The original trustees were Messrs H. Howlett, B. Bowden, T. Matters, C. T. Newman, Wm. Matters, John Butterfield, H. R. Hancock, Wm. Wearne, and Rev. Charles Lane. The foundation stones were laid by Messrs H. R. Hancock, J. Roach, W. Wearne, and Miss Holman. The present trustees are Messrs C. W. Bowden, L. H. Bowden, L. R. Howlett, L. T. Lodge, L. C. Lodge, E. Lodge, F. J. Eden, T. Howlett, and A. Eden (secretary and treasurer).
There was never a dull moment, and the '"reunion" spirit was most marked. The Agery folk have every reason to be delighted with the results from every angle. Visitors were present from all parts of the State, and every-body espressed their satisfaction at the manner in which they were catered for. The committees that were appointed to carry out their respective duties were hard worked, and the ladies especially had a herculean task in providing sufficient edibles for such a large number of people. This they performed with that efficiency which has characterised the Agery ladies for the past half century. Although the final figures are not yet available, the takings for the three days, including donations, amounted to just over £200. The takings for Saturday and Sunday, which were in aid of the church, amounted to £45 17/, and the trustees are gratified to know that after allowing for the costs of renovations, they will have a substantial credit balance. The Public Hall trustees are also jubilant with the results of Monday's proceedings. It is believed that the takings, includings £106 for the queen competitions, are in the vicinity of £160.
It is estimated that the cost of the new hall, including the piano, and furnishings is about £360. The liability should not now prove a burden to the trustees, and if the unanimity of the people of the district which now exists can be maintained, it should not be many years before the debt will be wiped off.
The weather on Saturday proved glorious for the occasion, and at 3 p.m. the church, which presented a hand-some appearance (having been renovated for the occasion), was filled to its utmost capacity, and many could not gain admission. The Rev. A. Hemmings, superintendent of the Moonta circuit, welcomed the visitors, and expressed the hope that the Jubilee would be a blessing to all and that the reunion would bring back many happy recollections of bygone days. He especially mentioned the enterprise of the worthy pioneers of Methodism in the district and gave an interesting history of the early church at Agery, which he had gleaned from records that he had obtained. He commended the present church body for their efforts in beautifying and making the church a place of worship worthy of the highest traditions of Methodism. He thanked the Howlett family, and the Bowden family for the presentation of a handsome hymn board and communion table, and a pulpit chair respectively, in memory of their beloved parents, who had passed to the greater beyond; to the Sunday school, for two pedestals; the Ladies Guild, two brass vases ; Mrs Hallo,brass vase; Mr and Mrs Lodge, sen., two polished wood collection plates and pulpit cushion; and Mrs Spencer Stevens, a hand-embroidered cushion cover.
The Rev. G. B. Tucker occupied the chair, and introduced Mr Thomas Matters, the only surviving member of the original trust, who very ably performed the ceremony of unveiling the tablet (which is placed in the interior of the church) in honour of the first trustees, acting trustees, and pioneer members of the church. Mr Matters' kindly references to the sacrifices of those early stalwarts was a revelation to many. He brought along and displayed a silver trowel which was used by the late Mrs Wearne in the laying of the memorial stones of the present building, the inscription thereon bearing the date September 23, 1885.
'The Rev. H. A. Gunter also expressed his gratitude at being, able to attend the function, and thanked the Agery people for their invitation to conduct the services on the Sunday.
At the conclusion of this service, which included hymns and prayer,a sumptuous tea was served in the new hall, where over 300 partook of the good things provided. The Jubilee cake, which was iced and decorated by Mr Len Lodge, was an object of admiration, and was cut by Mr T. Matters.
The evening's entertainment was also held in the hall as the large crowd could not be accommodated in the church. Mr Hemmings was chairman. A lengthy program of speeches interspersed with musical items, was submitted, and was well received. The children's choir, under the baton of Miss Mary Bowden, gave three items, the rendition of which was very plea-sing, the musical ability of the conductor, being reflected in the performance of these children. It is hoped that the choir will continue. Mrs Buchanan, Miss Audrey Brown, Miss Hughes, Mrs Sweet (Wallaroo) and Mr K. Weaver (Kadina) contributed solos, duetts, and trios, and Miss Effie Butler (Willamulka) rendered a solo. Each item was very nicely rendered and gained hearty applause. The Revs. A. Hemmings and H. A. Gunter, Messrs T. Howlett and R. R. Bowden were the speakers, and Mr. Alf Eden submitted a financial statement.
On Sunday afternoon the church was again crowded, and the Rev. Mr Gunter preached a delightful sermon. Miss Mary Bowden rendered with great effect the solo "Rock of Ages." Owing to the large crowd that was outside, it was decided to hold, the evening service in the hall, which also proved inadequate to accommodate the large attendance. The Rev. Mr Gunter again preached land a most enjoyable time resulted. The choir under Mr Len. Lodge rendered the anthem "Across the Bar" Everybody expressed themselves as being particularly pleased with the whole of the services.
The following special donations were received:—Mrs M Kendall, Victoria, £2; Mrs T. Matters, Unley, £2 2/, Mrs W. Matters West Australia, Mrs G, Matters, Parkside, each £1 1/ ; Messrs. T. Jacka, Adelaide, and S. S. Woodward, Agery, £1; Mrs M. Mellen, East Moonta, 10/.
Back to School.
Ideal picnic weather again prevailed on the Monday, and the sports committee felt assured of great success. At 10.30 people began to arrive, and at 11 o'clock assembled at the school. Mrs C. W. Bowden, who was a former teacher at Agery in 1906-1909, had charge of the proceedings and after falling the scholars into line and marching them into school, the roll was called, and also the name of every teacher who had labored at Agery. There were scholars present who attended school under the first teacher (Mr Elisha Williams), some scholars for every subsequent teacher. Mrs A. Mahar, of Moonta, was the oldest scholar present, and, with Messrs R. R. Bowden and T. Howlett, and Miss A, Howlett, attended Mr Williams' school. The proceedings proved quite successful and created a lot of fun and amusement. Mrs Squires (nee Stacey), Mrs Bosley (nee Florrie Pedler), Mr Dan Pedler, and Messrs Dan and Jim Philips, dressed in school clothes, provoked great hilarity. Florrie Pedler presented the teacher with a bouquet of dandelions and billy buttons picked by the roadside. The excuses from absent scholars caused much merriment. Apologies were read from Mrs Will Honnor (nee Ellen Moloney), New South Wales, and Miss Laura Starrs, former teachers. At the conclusion three cheers were given for the teacher.
Prior to the commencement of the sports an official luncheon took place in the hall. Mr C. W. Bowden presided and extended a cordial welcome to the officials which included two of the patrons, Messrs B. Pattinson and D. M. S. Davies, M's.P., and Mr J. J. Henschke, chairman of the District Council of Clinton. Mr Hartley Cadd, in an excellent speech, submitted the toast of "The Parliament," which was responded to by the members for the district. Apologies were received from Messrs McBride, M.H.R., and the Hon. Walter Duncan, M.L.C., both of whom contributed to the funds.
The sports proved a great success, The lengthy program was put through in good time, and some good racing was witnessed in several events. The committee has been requested to make the event an annual affair. Mr Les. Fielder, of Moonta, rendered valuable assistance to the sports, having erected amplifiers on the ground. Besides contributing selections, he assisted, greatly by announcing each event as it came on, also the result of each race.
The Kadina Cycling Club sent a large squad of riders, and the cycling events were very interesting.
After the sports Mr Leslie Woodward presented the cup annexed by Mr Glasson Andrewartha, in the 1.5 miles trot, and, on behalf of Messrs Emerson & Davey, the president presented their cup for the two miles trot to the same owner, who won the event with the same horse, Rough Passage. Mr. Andrewartha replied and generously offered a similar trophy if the committee made the sports, an annual event. Mr Laurence Goote presented his cup for girls under 14 years to Miss Betty Keen, Miss Keen was indisposed and her father received and acknowledged the prize.
The afternoon tea was well patronised for about "three hours, also the counter lunch and cool drinks.
Official Opening of Hall.
At 8.30 the official opening of the hall was performed by Mr Leslie Bennett, of Moonta, who in an excellent address, congratulated the folk of Agery on their enterprise. It was indeed an eye-opener to him and he was proud to be present, and to think that the people realised their responsibility as to the social requirements of the district. The structure they had erected had proved them worthy successors of those great hearted pioneers who had blazed the trail 50 years ago. Mr Henschke supported.
The dance commenced with the polanaise led by Mr Bennett and Miss Doris Bowden, and, owing to the huge crowd, had to be relayed.
At 9.30 the queen competition closed, and the pageant arranged by Mesdames Hartley and Clarrie Cadd presented a most charming and spectacular scene as they marched on to the stage. The honor of crowning the winning queen fell to the popular Mr Henschke, who in a happy and appropriate speech crowned Miss Nellie Masters the "Jubilee Queen of the Hall," and also presented each queen with a box of chocolates. The attendants were also charmingly attired and each received a present.
Dancing continued till 2 a.m., and thus ended the most successful function ever held at Agery.
Mr. T. J. Jacka
Mr. Thomas J. Jacka, who died suddenly on September 9, at Agery, Yorke Peninsula, during the Agery Methodist jubilee celebrations, was born at Redruth, Cornwall, on July 27, 1868 His parents arrived at Moonta in 1871. He was educated at Moonta, and later entered the nrintine trade. aobrenUced to Mr. E. H. Derrington, who was proprietor of 'Yorke Peninsula Advertiser. At the age of 18 years he left for Broken Hill, and spent some time with the 'Sliver Age' and 'Broken Hill Times' offices. In 1895 he and the late Mr. J. Herman entered into partnership as commercial printers. Mr. Harman died In 1919, and the business was managed by Mr. Jacka until his late partner's son and his own son were taken into partnership. Later they formed a limited company, of which he was managing director, which position he held till his death. At Broken Hill he was a member of the local Freemasons' Lodge. He was very fond of sport, particularly cricket. He went to England last year to witness the Tests. In 1893 he married Emily Susan Phillips, a daughter of Mr. Joe Phillips, manager of the Junction North mine. He left two sons and one daughter, C. R. (St. Peters), O. L. (Enfield), and Mrs. W. B. Southcott (Rosefleld).
Mr. Elijah Lodge of Agery, who died at the Moonta Jubilee Hospital after a long illness, was born in England, and came to South Australia in 1859 with his parents in the ship James Jordan. He was educated at Gawler River public school (now called Loos school). and went to Yorke Peninsula in 1877 to begin farming at Dowlingville with his brother John. He remained there until 1896, when he went to Agery and secured the farm off the late E. T. Sprigg. and resided there continuously for 48 years. His wife (nee Miss Barrett, of Gawler) died in 1940. There are three daughters and two sons who survlve—Mesdames R. B. Bowden and Mrs. D. J. Redding. Kadina: Mrs. Alf Eden, Agery, Messrs. L. T. Lodge, Agery, and L C. Lodge, Moonta. There are also 17 grandchildren and 11 great grandchildren.
AGERY BOY WINS MILTARY CROSS.
Included in awards to five South Australians for bravery in the S.W. Pacific was Lt. Lionel Frank Bowden A.I.F., son of Mr and Mrs C. W. Bowden, of Agery, and husband of Mrs Rita Bowden, of Fullarton. He was awarded the Military Cross.
The citation reads:
During the attack on Apunga, New Guinea, Lt. Bowden, commanding a platoon when under fire, made personal reconnaissance of enemy defensive positions, the outcome enabled the company to be manoeuvred, thus attaining the element of surprise. The platoon then attacked the position and gained the dominating ground. During the attack on Maprik which followed, the company made several attempts via different approaches to gain the objective. After considerable crawling through the undergrowth, Lt. Bowden brought his platoon on the edge of the enemy perimeter, from where they captured the whole feature.
Lieut Bowden enlisted with the , A.I.F. in 1940, and served in the Middle East and also in New Guinea, This is the second award to an Agery boy—the late Sgt Ted Lodge having been awarded the Military Medal for skilful leadership in carrier patrol work. Agery folk were delighted to learn of the latest award.
"BACK TO AGERY."
Successful "Back to Agery" celebrations were held on October 27 and 28. A social evening and dance was held on Saturday. Mr Fred Eden was the M.C., Miss Browning sang a solo and community singing was enjoyed. During the evening, Mr Eden read greetings from old Ageryites who were unable tu be present, and also made an appeal, as a Jubilee gesture, for hall funds. As a result, £75 was subscribed by those present; the target is for £150, Supper was served. The ball was decorated with streamers and beautiful flowers, those responsible being Mrs Alan Lodge, Ruth Lodge, Janet Edcii and Claire Russell. Music for the dancing was supplied by Ruth Lodge, Mrs jack Braley (piano), aud Brian Eden (drums).
On Sunday, services were held in the church at 3 and 7 p.m., conducted respectively by the Rev, H. P. Lambert and the Rev, F. Albury, both sermons being appropriate for the occasion.
Visitors and old residents were present from Adelaide, Wallaroo, Kadina, Arthurton, Sunnyvale and Moonta. Solos were rendered by Mrs Bowden (Adelaide), Misses Butter (Kadina), Bowden (Moonta Bay), and Browning (Agery), a duet by the Rev. Mrs Albury (Moonta), and a recitation by Miss Howlett (Moonta). A song service held prior to the evening service was inspiring to all. Mr Len Lodge was organist for the services.
The floral decorations were outstanding, the Communion table being adorned with roses grown by Mr A Eden. The decorations were in the hands of Mesdames Alf Eden and Les Lodge and Miss Hazel Nankivell, Tbe trustees of the church are to make arrangements to hare renovations made to the exterior of the church early next year. Tea was served to 80 in the hall.