... Brentwood Home Page ...
Brentwood Cemetery Index Website
Minlacowie Hundred Map Website
Books about Brentwood
District Council of Yorke Peninsula - History of Brentwood
Brentwood was named by one of the early settlers after his birthplace in England. It originally meant "Burntwood."* *Place Names of Australia.
A well known property here is "Sandalwood Park" which covers some 260 hectares of the best barley growing country in South Australia*. Originally settled by Mr Thomas King in 1875 it was judged to be the best-kept farm and homestead on the Peninsula and was awarded first prize by the Agricultural Beureau**.
*"The Advertiser", 12th August, 1980. **The Cyclopedia of South Australia. Volume 2. Page 669.
Most of the barley grown in this area is shipped to Port Adelaide where the South Australian Malting Company convert it into malt. The company, which began operations on reclaimed land at Port Adelaide in 1972, now has the largest malthouse in the southern hemisphere and can produce 80,000 tonnes of malt per year. Malt on a tonnage basis is South Australia's largest containerised export. Japan, the largest importer, takes 22,000 tonnes per year. Export orders for 1981 were valued at $15 million*. Malt is used in the making of beer, stout, whiskey and some confectionery. *"The Advertiser", 28th August, 1980
Brentwood is the nearest town on the west coast of the peninsula, from Warooka, about 10 miles north. There are two or three roads to this locality, but travellers will find it to their advantage to get through via Yorketown, although the distance is much greater. The nearest route is along the sandhills, but the track is heavy and uninteresting. On the other hand, from Yorketown via Lake Sunday good roads and scrub obtain for the whole distance.
Business at Minlacowie.
In reality Brentwood is Minlacowie. The jetty is close to the township. The volume of business transacted by wheat buyers at Port Minlacowie is yearly steadily increasing. This season over 23,000 bags of wheat have been shipped, and a quantity is still available for export. The transport of this quantity of produce and the importation of fertilizers provide considerable work for teams, most of which are owned by farmers. Vehicles require repairing, and horse shoeing, hence the village blacksmith, Mr. W. Juers, is enabled to secure constant employment for his energy and engage several employes in the fulfilment of his orders. This means again an increase in the consumption of household commodities. which the resident storekeeper, Mr. A. Anderson, finds it a pleasure and profit to provide at his splendidly stocked store, wherein is also the post office. Mr. Anderson is the postmaster. The school children are taught by Miss Middleton, and the religious requirements of the residents are catered for by ministers from Minlaton. The district is strong in athletic talent. Considerable success has attended the local cricket and football clubs for many years. Although small in comparison to other Yorke's Peninsula towns, Brentwood is solid, and the prospects are very encouraging. The only evidence of unemployed on the peninsula is provided by the swagsman, who is frequently a greater tax upon farmers and tradespeople than a small army of aboriginals. Farming is the chief occupation of residents here.
Brentwood Methodist Church 50th Celebrations 1927. Thanks to A. Wilson for the old photographs of Brentwood.
BRENTWOOD - METHODISTS Jubilee Celebration Held
It was a happy thought that prompted Methodists to hold a back to Brentwood celebration to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the opening of the Methodist Church.
Residents of surrounding districts joined in a happy social gathering. It is estimated that 300 visitors partook of high tea, which proved a sumptuous and enjoyable function.
Many former residents or Brentwood who were present at the opening of the church returned to take part in the proceedings. Rev. J. H. Lyons, as chairman, kept the company in high spirits with his wit and humor.
Mr. John Boundy extended to the visitors a very hearty welcome and expressed pleasure at the opportunity of meeting so many friends. Other speakers were Messrs. T. King, of Ballarat (Victoria), C. Green (Normanville), R. Anderson (Brentwood). P. D. Anderson (Wallaroo), T. Giles (Minlaton), Rev. S. Martin (Adelaide).
Messrs. C. Green and Henry Boundy, two of the original trustees of the church, and Mrs. G. Ford, the first woman to be married in the church, were present.
A huge cake was made, the ingredients for which were provided by Mesdames J. E. Martin and E. G. Vanstone. The latter undertook the making of the cake, which was delicious, and Miss Ethel Anderson (grand-daughter of Mrs. T. Anderson, who laid the foundation stone of the church) iced it, transforming it into a veritable work of art. Round the cake were 50 small candles, which were lighted and burned while the first sitting of visitors had tea.
To Mrs. Ford fell the honor of cutting the cake, and each visitor was presented with a portion on leaving the table.
On Sunday jubilee services were held, the attendances being a record. Many were unable to gain admission. Rev. S. Martin, a former minister of the church, conducted the services, and the Minlaton Methodist choir, with Mr. Smith as conductor, was responsible for the musical portion.
Among former residents present were Mr. and Mrs. T. King (Ballarat, Victoria), Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Ford (Glen Osmond), Mr. and Mrs. H. Boundy (Minlaton), Mr. P. G. Vanstone (Moonta), Mrs. Henry Martin (Moonta), Mr. F. Green (Nornmanville), Mr. P. D. Anderson (Wallaroo), Mrs. G. Ford (Victoria), Mr. and Mrs. Goad (Brim, Victoria), Mrs. S. Vanstone, Mr. and Mrs. Peter King. Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Martin, Mr. and Mrs. A. Anderson, Mr. and Mrs. T. L. Anderson, Mr. and Mrs. John Anderson, Mr. and Mrs. S. V. Vanstone (Yorketown), Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Martin, Mr. and Mrs. J. Vanstone, Mr. and Mrs. A. L. Dodd, Mr. and Mrs. T. Giles, Mrs. Simon. Mrs. S. Vanstone, Miss Boundy, Miss Vanstone, Mr. G. Martin (Prospect).
Settled In 1860's
BRBNTWOOD. — Pioneers of the Brentwood district arrived in bullock drays on Yorke Peninsula in the 1860's, when the whole of the country was dense scrub and large mobs of kangaroos, wallabies and emus were a conimon sight. Many families came from districts of Aldinga, Myponga and Morphett Vale and took up land for farming pursuits. The town, which is still small, was named Brentwood by an early pioneer who originally came from the town of Brentwood in England. The local general store and post office was originally owned by Mr. Mudge who sold it to Mr. A. Anderson. In March Mr. Anderson's daughter, Mrs. R. A. Wilson, disposed of the business to Mr. A. G. Munt after it being in the Anderson family for over 60 years. Descendants of the Martin's, Treasure's, Anderson's, Boundy's, Vanstone's. Twartz's and Honner's still carry on farming in the district. Many people are working farms originally owned by their grandparents and great-grandparents. One of the earliest settlers, Mr. Joseph Vanstone, who was living with his daughter, Mrs. Roberts, at Wandearah, passed away recently at the age of 86. A grandson owns the farm originally occupied by Mr. Vanstone.
The oldest resident of the district is Mr. Alfred Twartz, who still owns his farm but has it worked by share farmers. Until last year practically all grain grown in the district was shipped from Port Minlacowie. Now farmers and carirers cart the wheat to Edithburgh and Wallaroo and the barley to Minlaton stacking site. Most farmers receive good returns from their wool clips earn year.
Married 60 Years.
Celebrating the diamond anniversary of their wedding, Mr. and Mrs. M. Cussion were "at home" to hosts of friends at Edward street, Woodville, today. They were married at Brentwood, Yorke Peninsula, on November 30, 1886.
Mr. Cussion, who is 87, was employed by Messrs. Colton. Palmer and Preston, Ltd., until he was 80. He was born at Gumeracha and spent his boyhood at Port Elliot. Mrs. Cussion. who was born at Yankalilla, just over 83 years ago, left there with her parents when she was 11, and travelled by bullock dray to Port Minlacowie. Her people were the first white settlers in the district, and for nine months they were almost isolated. Mr. Cussion had to pick his way through the scrub to find his new location, as there were no roads on Yorke Peninsula, south of Minlaton. in those days. Members of the family are Mesdames S. Perkins (Prospect), T. Kiley (Adelaide), and G. Coley (Glenelg). Messrs. J. Cussion (Croydon), and C. Cussion (Seaton Park). A son was killed at Gallipoli. There are four grand-children, and three great-grand-children.
Brentwood Cricket Club.
This club played its opening game on Saturday, September 20. A very interesting match between the married and single members of the club took place, and resulted in a victory for the single men, who scored 55 and 78=133, against 48 and 60=108. A meeting was afterwards held, at which the following officers were elected:—President, Mr. Jas. Anderson; vicepresident, Mr. H. Boundy; secretary, Win. Harris; treasurer, J. Mudge; committee, Messrs. W. Harris, A. Treasure, J. Holland, T. King, Jno. Anderson, and J. Mudge.
Brentwood Educational Requirements.—
A deputation consisting of the Rev. J. N. Mills Messrs. H. Eoundy, J. Anderson, R. Honner, and T. Gleeson waited on the Hon. T. King (Minister of Education) on Friday, April 4, with the request that a school might be erected as soon as possible at Brentwood, in the Minlacowie district. Mr. W. D. Glyde, J. P., introduced the deputation. It was pointed out that Brentwood was the principal township of Minlacowie, and was situated within about two miles of the Minlacowie Jetty, from which all the produce of the neighbourhood was shipped. A plan showing the site chosen was produced, and it was alleged that some twelve months ago that site had been favourably considered by the late Council of Education. The nearest school to it was a provisional school, which was five miles distant. A chapel had been utilized as a school, and the Council of Education had sent a teacher, but in consequence of the want of necessary accommodation within two miles of the budding the teacher had left. The trustees of the chapel were unwilling to let their building free of charge to the department, unless they obtained an express promise that a school and a teacher's residence would eventually be erected. The late Council of Education had promised to erect a building if the average attendance at the temporary school reached thirty for three months ; but although over forty children had regularly attended for that period nothing had been done. There were eighty children of school going age within a radius of two aud a half miles, and the deputation could promise a regular attendance of over sixty children. They requested that a school building to accommodate sixty scholars, together with a teacher's residence, might be built. There was already a Sabbath school at Brentwood possessing an attendance averaging over fifty children. If the department would promise the school the trustees of the church would permit their building to be used free of charge as a school for a farther period of six months. Mr. Anderson also promised to find accommodation for the teacher until a teacher's residence was constructed. Mr. King, in reply, said that the difficulty of providing sufficient school accommodation to meet the requirements of country districts was daily growing greater. However, the late Council had promised them a school, and it was neither his province nor his wish to upset the promise, as he felt himself bound by it. He could hardly say whether the school would be erected in six months or not. If the trustees allowed the department to open a school in the chapel again the attendance at that school would be a criterion which would enable him to decide as to what size the school should be. They had had returns from districts stating that there were from 140 to 150 children of a school-going age. These returns had been cut down to perhaps 100, much to the disgust of the residents; and yet, in some instances, they found that the average attendance was only from twenty-five to thirty. If the atteadance were kept up to what the Council fixed as a minimum he would promise that they should have the school. If the school could not be erected within six months, then the department would be prepared to pay the trustees a rent for the chapei until such time as a proper building were constructed. Of coarse, with a schoolhouse in the country they were bound also to build a teacher's residence. If Mr. Anderson would see the teacher accommodated he would do his best to send one down and to push on the erection of the school. Mr. Clyde informed the Minister that the residents would furnish stone, lime, and sand for the school building free of charge, but that they conld not definitely promise to supply water. The deputation thanked Mr. King for his courteous reception and withdrew.
Brentwood School, later Brentwood Rural School
Date Range: 1879 - 1996 Inventory of Series Description
Brentwood School was opened as a Provisional School, on 21 July 1879. Forty four male and female students attended the school, which was held in the church, and taught by Mr David Aitken. In October 1880, a stone school building and house were completed for 1049 pounds, upon land donated by Mr Twartz. The new school accommodated 60 students and the residence had four rooms. 
By 1937, the school building and residence were in great disrepair. Remodelling was requested from the Education Office by the School Committee and the Head Teacher, Mr Prater. The work, which cost 778 pounds, was not completed until 1939, after much correspondence between the Superintendent of the Education Office and the Head Teacher. The Head Teacher continued to report problems experienced during harsh weather (2).
In 1959, ETSA electricity was connected to the school and the first septic toilet was installed in 1961 (3).
The early curriculum focused on Comprehension, English Grammar and Arithmetic. By the centenary of the school, an increased emphasis was being placed on physical education. By 1979, the school had 18 students and three staff: one full-time teacher, Mr Trevor Arney, a part-time teacher, Ms Sue Gardner, and a part-time teacher's aide, Ms Wendy Koennecke (4).
Brentwood School became Brentwood Primary School in 1920, then Brentwood Rural School in 1963. The school celebrated its centenary in 1979, with current students, old scholars, and the community. A centenary history of the school was written as part of the celebrations. Enrolments were expected to increase to 22 the next year (5).
After steady falls in enrolments, the school closed in December 1996.
(1] GRS 10437/1 (2) GRG 18/2/1937/1333 - Correspondence docket contains architectural drawings of the school residence. (3) GRS 10437/1
Contents Date Range Series Date Range Number of Units Public Access Series Id Series Title
1879 - 1996 1879 - 1996 2 Part Open GRS/12346 Admission registers - Brentwood Rural School
1880 - 1969 1880 - 1969 1 Part Open GRS/12164 Inspector`s registers - Brentwood Rural School
1886 - 1933 1886 - 1933 1 Open GRS/13919 Visitors` book - Brentwood School
1907 - 1969 1907 - 1969 1 Open GRS/12165 Teacher`s examination registers - Brentwood Rural School
1916 - 1996 1916 - 1996 1 Part Open GRS/5023 School Council and Welfare Club Minutes - Brentwood Rural School
1927 - 1996 1927 - 1996 1 Part Open GRS/5022 School Journals and Newsletters - Brentwood Rural School
No Date - No Date 1946 - 1996 0 Not Applicable GRS/5044 Roll books
1947 - 1979 1947 - 1979 1 Part Open GRS/5024 Punishment book - Brentwood School
1970 - 1971 1970 - 1971 1 Open GRS/13922 School magazines - Brentwood School
1978 - 1979 1978 - 1979 1 Open GRS/13923 Minutes - Centenary Committee, Brentwood School
1979 - 1979 1979 - 1979 1 Open GRS/13921 Centenary celebrations reunion roll - Brentwood Rural School
1979 - 1979 c 1979 - c 1979 1 Open GRS/13924 Correspondence - Centenary Committee, Brentwood School
1988 - 1996 1988 - 1996 0 Not Applicable GRS/4837 Accident & injury reports
1989 - 1996 1989 - 1996 0 Not Applicable GRS/4836 FINANCIAL RECORDS