... Clinton Centre Home Page ...
Books about Clinton Centre
District Council of Yorke Peninsula - History of Clinton Centre
On Yorke Peninsula reference is sometimes made to Rural Centres. In the Hundred of Clinton there are three, Kaiton, Winulta and Clinton Centre*.
*The Minutes Are Confirmed - Preface to "A Short History of the Council of Clinton."
It is believed Clinton Centre was so named because it was almost central between Arthurton and Port Clinton. It was never surveyed as a township but farmer s in the area donated land for the erection of a church, a school (not closed), tennis courts and a cemetery (also closed). There are no business premises in Clinton Centre and people of the area are catered for by tradespeople performing a round from Arthurton.
In most of these rural or country centres there was an unofficial Post Office which operated from a private home. At Clinton Centre there was such a post office for 83 years but it closed a few years ago. The district is now served by private bag or road bag service*. *Mr. K. Phelps, Port Clinton.
In the Hundred of Tiparra, which was amalgamated with the Hundred of Clinton in 1878 to form the District Council of Clinton, there are, besides the township of Arthurton, the rural centres of Agery, Sunny Vale and Kalkabury*. *The Minutes Are Confirmed - Preface to "A Short History of the Council of Clinton."
Mr. W. Fowler, who died on Monday at Yarroo, at the age of 81 years, was widely known. He went into partnership about 1849 with the late Mr. T. Guy, on the shores of Lake Alexandrina. He, however, relinquished his share in the run on the lease during the fifties, took up land on Yorke's Peninsula, on a station called Moorowie, adjoining the holdings of Messrs. Gilbert, Lander, and Stephens. This station formed his residence for many years, and he was a successful breeder of highclass sheep and horses. Subsequently Mr Fowler took up land near Port Wakefied, and made himself a comfortable and picturesque home overlooking the gulf, on the station known as Yarroo, where he lived until the time of his death. He subdivided the property into farms, built homesteads, and successfully leased them to tenant farmers. Mr. Fowler's advice on practical matters was always welcomed, and his oldest acqnaintances referred in the highest terms to the good and admirable traits in but character, which made him a typical pioneer colonist. He continued in strong and active health even after reaching his seventieth year, but three or four years ago he had a sunstroke, which weakened his physical strength, but did not seem to impair his mental faculties. Mrs. Fowler died ten or twelve years ago.
Mr. William Fowler, of Yarroo
Our Port Wakefield correspondent: writes:- "Mr. William Fowler, of Yarroo, who died at his residence on Monday afternoon, at the age of 83 years, had enjoyed excellent health until over 80. His deeds of philanthropy will ever live in Port Wakefield. He had been the patron of the Port Wakefield Institute ever since its formation, and he donated £50 toward the building conditionally that it should be kept free from debt, which has been done. The Port Wakefield Defence Rifle Club also benefited largely by his donations, and every other deserving institution received his support. The blind, deaf, and dumb institutions in the State will much miss his help. He was often termed 'Our Carnegie.' "
WILLIAM FOWLER'S WILL,
A Large Estate. The will of the late Mr. William Fowler, land and stocks holder, who died at Yarroo, on December 9,1901, has been filed for probate. The estate, which is sworn not to exceed £40,000 in value, has been left chiefly to relatives of deceased, but several public, institutions also will benefit under it.