People of Maitland
Mr. William Adair
Born Peachy Belt, South Australia, Australia on 11 Oct 1855
Died in Maitland, South Australia, Australia on 9 Oct 1945
1945 Trove, DEATHS ADAIR.—On Oct. 9, at Maitland, William Adair, dearly beloved husband of the late Jacintha Adair, and loving father of Frederick, John, Cyril, Edward, Walter and Jessie, late Edith and Hilda, brother of Annie Smith, Vic. Aged 90 years.
Mrs. Jacintha Adair
Born in Halletts Station, South Australia, Australia on 2 Feb 1853
Died in Maitland, South Australia, Australia on 9 Sep 1918
1918 Trove, ADAIR.—On the 9th September, at Maitland, Jacintha, the dearly loved wife of William Adair, of Maitland, aged 65 years.
Mr. Lisle Edgar Adams
Birth July 3 1906 Maitland, South Australia, Australia
Death June 18 1940 Maitland, South Australia, Australia
1940 Trove, With a .22 rifle lying across his knees and a wound just above his left eye, Lisle Edgar Adams, 34, was found dead in the garage of his farm, between Maitland and Sandilands. A report for the coroner (Mr. F. H.Francis) is being prepared by Mounted Constable Robinson. A widow and three young children are left.
Married MyHeritage Mia Betsey Burdette Moulds
Mr. John Maxwell Aitken
1940 who died at Maitland on June 19, was born at Maxwelltown, Scotland, in 1876, and on coming to Australia, settled at Port Augusta. He married Miss E. Massey, and lived at Port Augusta for 40 years. He was afterwards postmaster at Orroroo and Clare and took charge of the Maitland Post Office in July, 1935. He was a member of the Maitland Congregational Church and also belonged to the Masonic and Forrester Lodges. He was a member of the Maitland Bowling Club. His widow survives, and there are two sons, Messrs. R. M. Aitken Berri) and A. J. Aitken (Clare), and two daughters. Misses Mavis (Adelaide Hospital) and Margaret (Maitland).
1940 Mr. J. M. Aitken, postmaster at Maitland, formerly stationed at Clare, died suddenly from a heart attack while at work on Wednesday. He would have this year been entitled to his long leave in the Postal Department. Mr. H. J. Aitken, of Clare, is a son of the deceased.
Mr. Robert Maxwell Aitken
1941 Robert M. Aitken Dies of Wounds. While engaged along with other members of the A.I.F. in fighting our battles at Tobruk, Private Robert Maxwell Aitken was recently wounded in action and died of wounds on Sept, 14th, the date of his mother's birthday. The sad news was conveyed through the Minister for the Army and the Military Board by local arrangement on Wednesday afternoon to his wife —Mrs. Lorna Aitken, of Gleeson Street, Clare. The late Private Aitken was a son of the late Mr. John Maxwell Aitken, who died at Maitland a little over 12 months ago, formerly being post-master at Clare, Maitland and other places. Bob's mother resides at Cheltenham in Adelaide, and his brother, Mr. H. J. Aitken, of Clare, is employed by the Mid-North Electricity Coy. For some months the deceased soldier had been in action at Tobruk and quite recently his wife received the "A.I.F. News," a newspaper printed by the Tobruk garrison, in which the birth notice of their now 4 months old son— William Maxwell Aitken, had been proudly inserted by the father, who had not seen his only son. The late Private Aitken was employed at the time of enlistment with the Berri Distillery, although he had lived previously at Clare for a number of years with his parents when they occupied the postal residence here. He was married to Miss Lorna Snashall, of Clare, in the month of July, 1940; was given a send-off along with 11 other Clare and district soldiers at a big gath ering in the Clare Town Hall on Sunday, October 20, 1940; a finally left for active service in November. We extend to his wife, mother, brother, small son and other rela tives, our very sincere sympathy, trusting that the knowledge that he fulfilled his duty nobly will help them to bear their loss with the courage and fortitude still being displayed by his comrades in action "Greater love hath no man than this, that he laid down his life for his friends."
Mr. John Thomas Allen
Birth Strathalbyn, SA, Australia April 5, 1852
Death Maitland, SA, Australia May 30, 1919
1919 ALLEN.—On the 30th May, at Maitland Hospital, John Thomas, dearly beloved husband of, Susan Allen, late of Arthurton, aged 61 and 10 months. "Our brave dear sufferer at rest."
Geni - John Thomas Allen
Mr. Henirich Gottlieb Altus
Mr. and Mrs. H. G. Altus celebrated their silver wedding at their residence, Elizabeth street, Maitland, on January 18, when some 50 relatives and friends were entertained. The guests included the Mayor (Mr. T. E. Ash) and the members of the Maitland Town Council (Crs. Fischer, Thomas, and Harris), and the town clerk (Mr. A. E. Speers). Mr. Altus has been a councillor of Maitland for many years, and has with Mrs. Altus taken a prominent part in the affairs of the town since they settled there, shortly after their marriage. They were married at Kapunda by the Rev. Thomas McNeil. Mr. J. S. Honner proposed the toast of 'Our Hosts.' and referred in eulogistic terms to Mr. and Mrs. Altus. He wished the happy couple long life and prosperity. The toast was supported by the Mayor, councillors, town clerk, and others, and was responded to by Mr. Altus. The presents were numerous and costly.
Mrs. Rosalie Pauline Altus
Born24 Jul 1877, Bethel, SA
Died 17 Jan 1945, Maitland, South Australia, Australia
Lehmann Henschke - Person Sheet
Mr. Howard Gilbert Altus
ALTUS.— On July 11. at Repatriation Hospital. Howard G., beloved brother of Gert and Merv. 36 years.
Lehmann Henschke - Person Sheet
Mr. Peter Howard
FAREWELL TO MR. PETER HOWARD AT MAITLAND.
Maitland is losing one of its most respected residents, one of its earliest pioneers, in the departure of Mr. Peter Howard. During his sixteen years residence in the neighbourhood Mr. Howard has bean a prominent man, and has enjoyed the respect and confidence of all classes and creeds of the community, and justly so. All matters connected with the social and moral welfare of the people have found in him a warm supporter. The development of the material resources has also derived considerable assistance from Mr. Howard's energy enthusiasm. He has been emphatically a good and honorable citizen ; a type of man that Maitland can ill afford to lose just now, and whose going away will leave a gap that is not likely to be filled again very soon, having for a good many years been a prominent member of the local Wesleyan Church. Mr. Howard with Mrs. Howard and family were invited a short time ago to a complimentary social by the trustees and members of that communion. The event was celebrated in the church. A large number of friends assembled ; the Anglican and Congregational Churches of the town being also represented. The Revs. J. Chapman and J Kuhn (Congregationalists), Mr. T. M. Sutton (Superintendent of the Point Pearce Mission), and Messes. B. Cornish, H. Lamshed, A. Jarret, C. Miller, A. Jarrett, sen., and J. O. Tiddy recounted of the services that Mr, Howard had rendered to the church, and testified to the great regard of the members for him, and assured him that his character and work would be remembered with gratitude many years to come. The name of Mrs. Howard was also coupled with that of her husband, whose many generous efforts she has invariably and effectively seconded. At the close the Rev. H. H. Teague, on behalf of the trustees and congregation, presented Mr. Howard with a purse of sovereigns. Mr. Howard was deeply moved and replied in feeling terms.
The members of choir assembled at Mr. Howard's late residence, previous to its vacation, also for the purpose conveying to him an expression of the affectionate regard in which he was held by them. The Wesleyan choir in Maitland is practically Mr. Howard's creation; and the relations existing between him, as leader, and the members of the choir as a whole, have been peculiarly cordial and kindly, and no where will he be more seriously missed than in the psalmody of the church. Mr. A. J. Jarrett, on behalf of the. members of the choir, presented Mr. Howard with a beautiful album containing the following inscription neatly inserted in illuminated text by Mr. Alfred Bowman—" Presented to our leader, Mr. Peter Howard, by the members of the Maitland Wesleyan choir, in token of our love and esteem, and in memory of many years of happy association : with best wishes and prayers. Signed on behalf of the choir, H. H. Teague, Pastor; A. J. Jarrett." The album is to contain the portraits of the various members of the choir. A complimentary address suitably mounted and framed was presented at the same time. The address was as follows:— " Complimentary address to Mr. Peter Howard by the members of the Maitland Wesleyan choir, on the occasion of his resignation of the leadership, and intended departure from the town. Dear Sir, We the undersigned members of the Maitland Wesleyan choir feel that we cannot allow this occasion to pass without giving expression to the esteem in which you are held by us. As we look back over the past, we remember the many pleasant seasons we have spent together under your able conductorship. We also remember with heart felt gratitude your untiring efforts to further the interests of the choir, and believe that the union ; and harmony which have existed among us have been due to your able and efficient management, coupled with the general christian integrity which has characterized all your movements. We therefore ask you to accept the small present accomping this address as expressive of our appreciation and regard. How deeply we deplore the severance of your connection with us, we are unable express. Should we as a choir never have the pleasure of sustaining the same relation to you the future we shall ever cherish the memories you have left us, and Iook forward to a glad reunion in the great choir above. Praying never slumbers or sleeps may watch over you, guiding your footsteps through the intricate paths of life, and bringing you at last to that haven of rest where we hope to meet you and never say good bye. We remain, Dears Sir, Yours very affectionately [Here follow 20 signatures].
Mr James Oxenberry Tiddy
Mr James Oxenberry Tiddy
TIDDY.—On the 11th January, at his residence, Maitland, suddenly, James Oxenberry Tiddy", aged 74 years.
Our Sainted Dead. MR. J. 0. TIDDY.
By the removal of Mr Tiddy, Central Yorke Peninsula has lost one of its most widely known and useful citizens. For more than forty years he was closely associated with every cause and movement for the good of the community. For ten years he occupied the position of mayor. He was chairman of the hospital board from its inception, and the day prior to his death he presided at a meeting of that body. Few, indeed, have done more than he for the district, the town, or the Church. He was a man of marked personality and tireless energy—strong, masterful, resolute, fearless, outspoken. He might suffer loss, but this never daunted him. What he felt and saw he told. His brusque manner and blunt expressions caused him to be misunderstood, but beneath a rugged exterior there nestled a singularly kind heart. If his impetuous disposition led him to err in word or deed, as time passed he invariably swung around to the right, and was ready to make amends. He had keen business capacity, and succeeded in building up one of the largest trades in the State, outside Adelaide. He was upright, honourable, just, and merciful. During his long career, especially in the earlier part, he assisted many through periods of financial pressure, but never pushed a single debtor into the insolvency court. He was strongly attached to Methodism, and generously and spontaneously supported its institutions and enterprises. He was closely associated with our local church from its foundation. Here in the prime of life he worshipped with his family when his children were young; here he worshipped in old age, his children still about him, and also a troop of grandchildren. He filled the positions of circuit and society steward, trustee, and Sunday-School superintendent. His interest never flagged. One of his last acts was to start a fund for the much needed renovation and, improvement of our church property. Where his deeper feelings were concerned he was reserved, but to hear him pray, to get into close touch with him, to converse about the things that really matter, revealed him a man with noble aspirations, devout in spirit, and true at heart. At the age of, seventy-four th ecall came suddenly, and he passed hence, leaving a remarkably fine record of service. A loyal citizen of the Empire, an enthusiastic advocate of the Peninsula, particularly of Maitland, a willing helped of every good cause a friend to the needy, an affection husband, a devoted father, a lover of God, we grudge him not the rest into which he has entered. To the widow and family we tender our sincere sympathy.
THE LATE MR. J. O. TIDDY. Photo...
Our Maitland correspondent reports the death on Saturday of Mr. J. O. Tiddy, one of the oldest residents of the town, and founder of the principal store in the district. Heart failure was the cause of death after only 12 hours illness. Deceased was in his 74th year. On June 27, 1917, he celebrated the golden jubilee of his arrival in Australia. He came out in one of the celebrated Money Wigram ships, and landed at Melbourne on June 27, 1867. He was accompanied by Mrs. Tiddy, whose brothers had settled in the Wallaroo and Moonta mining areas Mr. Tiddy was a draper, and after two years spent in Ade-laide, he opened business at Moonta with success. In the seventies he removed to Maitland, and, except about two years (when he was farming), he carried on there as a general storekeeper until he retired a few years ago and left the business to members of his family. As a towns-man Mr. Tiddy had filled his share of public positions.
Mr. James Oxenberry Tiddy, who died at Maitland, aged 67 years, had an exceptionally fine record of public service for his town and district. For more than 40 years he took his part in practically every movement which aimed at improvement of conditions and promotion of the people's welfare, and he filled the chief executive position in almost every organisation with which he became identified. Of 15 years given to the municipal council he was mayor for five years. His work for the institute as committeeman, president, and trustee, was rewarded with life membership. Other offices he occupied were chairman of the hospital board, president of the A.H. & F. Society, master of the Yorke Valley Lodge, choirmaster of the Methodist Church and secretary of the church trust; chairman, and also secretary of the public school committee, local representative of the Royal College of Music, London, and president of various sporting bodies. During the past few years Mr. Tiddy had to relinquish his activity in public affairs owing to illhealth. Mrs. Tiddy survives with a family of five— Mrs. G. M. Gunning, Maitland; Mrs. G. R. Giffen, Fullarton Estate; Miss Jean Tiddy, Maitland; Mr. J. O. Tiddy, Two Wells; and Mr. R. M. Tiddy, Maitland.
Mrs. Elias Greenslade
Wed 5 Oct 1927, News (Adelaide, SA : 1923 - 1954)
Death of Mrs. E. Greenslade, Mrs. Elias Greenslade, of Maitland, a well-known and highly esteemed Yorke's Peninsula pioneer, formerly of the Gumeracha district, passed away this morning. She had been suffering for weeks, and her death, at 83 years of age, was not unexpected. She had felt keenly the recent death of her sister-in-law, Mrs. George Greenslade. In their widowhood they had lived alongside each other for years until the removal of the latter to Westbourne Park. Their husbands, the late Mr. Elias Greenslade, of Maitland, and the late Mr. George Greenslade, of Urania, were pioneer farmers of Yorke's Peninsula, weathering the lean years before the advent of superphosphates and reaping later the full reward of their patience and perseverance. Their sons today at Maitland and Urania respectively are among the largest and most prosperous farmers in the district. Mesdames Elias and George Greenslade, like their husbands, were not only generous supporters of the local Methodist Churches, but responded liberally to many appeals. The Greenslade Wing of the Methodist Children's Home at Magill was built some years ago as a result of the liberality of the two brothers and their wives, and unostentatiously and constantly they helped to sustain every worthy cause that appealed to them. Mrs. Elias Greenslade had a large family, but two sons and two daughters (including the late Mrs. H. H. Lamshed, a prominent Sunday school and church worker at Maitland) predeceased her. The surviving sons and daughters are: Messrs: G. L. and A. Greenslade, of Maitland; Mesdames J. O. Tiddy and G. Rinder, Maitland; Mrs. W. S. Lawson, of Tranmere; and Miss Fanny Greenslade, of Maitland.
One of Maitland's earliest settlers, Mrs Greenslade, died on Wednesday morning at the age of 83. Kind and charitable in disposition, she had a very wide circle of friends. From Coombe, Hampshire, she came to Australia in 1865 in the vessel Young England, and went to Queensland. She moved to South Australia in the same year, and for come time resided at Gumeracha, where she was married to Mr Elias Greenslade. When the Peninsula lands were thrown open for selection, Mr Greenslade took up a block at Maitland, and was his wife settled there in 1873. Always a strong supporter of Methodism, Mrs. Greenslade was present at the laying of the foundation-stone of the Maitland Church in 1873, and she was one of the few survivors of that ceremony who attended the golden jubilee celebrations. When the lecture hall adjoing the church was built she was the central figure in the foundation-stone gathering. One block in the Greenslade wing of the Methodist Children's Home at Magill records the fact that she laid the foundation stone of that addition, the erection of which was due to the liberality of her husband and his brother (Mr. George Greenslade, of Urania). Mrs. Greenslade had a special gift for doing beautiful needlework and many charitable organisations, including the Maitland Hospital, benefited thereby-. She was also a good worker for the Maitland Institute fetes, and church gathering. In the early days of Maitland, when medical attendance was not readily available, she spent much time nursing among her neighbors. After the death of her husband, Mrs. Greenslade left the farm to reside in the township. Of the family of ten, two sons and four daughters survive—Messrs. G. L. and A. Greenslade (Maitland), Mesdames J. O. Tiddy, and G. Binder, and Miss Greenslade (Maitland), and Mrs. W. S. Lawson (Tranmere). There are 16 grandchildren and one great-grandchild.
Mr. W. H. Hussey
Regret will be widely felt concerning the death of Mr. William Henry Hussey, which occurred on December 16. He was a son of the late Mr. G. F. Hussey, and was born at North Adelaide. He received his education at Mr. Nesbit'e school in North Adelaide. He then entered the employ of Messrs. D, & J. Fowler, and after a time went to the Bank of South Australia. From Adelaide he was transferred to Maitland, where for some time he was branch manager. Subsequently he took up sharebroking. In which he had been engaged ever since. He married Miss Emily Braund, of Prospect, a daughter of the late Mr. Samuel Braund. Mrs. Hussey is left with one son— Mr. R. Hussey who is in the office of the Vacuum Oil Company, Adelaide, and two daughters— Mesdames Arthur Trott and Percy Sand ford. At the midday meeting of the Stock Exchange the chairman Mr. W. B. Carr said it was with deep regret he had to announce the death, after a comparatively short illness,of one of their members, Mr. W. H. Hussey. He had been connected with the association for over 20 years, having joined the Exchange Hall in 1899. Ten years later he was elected a member of the Stock Exchange. Although he did not take any active part in the management of the association he always had its interests at heart, and was always to be found in his place to record his vote upon any important question affecting its welfare. He was one of the most, active operators on 'Change, mot confining his attention to any particular class of stock. He was courteous and unassuming, and was held in esteem and regard by members by whom he would be much, missed. It was decided to forward a letter of sympathy to the widow and other members of the family. The room adjourned for 15 minutes as a mark of respect for Mr. Hussey. who was held in high esteem by his colleagues, and a very large circle of other friends.
Mr. Henry Lamshed
Our Maitland correspondent telegraphed on June 13:—"After an illness of nearly two months Mr. Henry Lamshed died this morning at his residence, near to Maitland, at the age of 82 years. He was a man greatly respected in this district as one who never failed to express his convictions on public questions, and whose word could he accepted as a bond. He was one of the founders of Maitland, and many public buildings owe their admirable sites to his wise selection. His death is deeply and sincerely mourned." Mr. Lamshed was born near Plymouth, England, in 1830. He was a descendent of a family which had held land at Newton Abbott, Devonshire, for the past 800 years. When 20 years of age Mr. Lamshed arrived at Port Adelaide in the ship Lord Hungerford, and for several years worked on a farm at McLaren Vale. Then he established a carrying business at Stratbalbyn. He took up land in the Maitland district when that area was first thrown open for settlement, and had engaged in farming there until his retirement, several years ago. Mr. Lamshed was one of the foundation members of the Yorke's Peninsula District Council. He also represented the Yorke's Peninsula electorate in the House of Assembly from 1890 until 1896. He visited Europe and Great Britain in 1906. The deceased took an active interest in numerous local movements. He was thrice married. His first wife was Miss Johnston, of Brighton. In November, 1864, he married Miss Chonles, of Adelaide, who left six sons and three daughters at her death. photo included.
Mr. Henry Lamshed
August 16, 1918. Our Sainted Dead.
The pioneer of Maitland Methodism, Mr. Henry Lamshed, received his call to higher service on Thursday, June 13. For some months he had battled bravely against a painful disease. At times he was in great physical distress, but his sufferings were borne with exemplary Christian patience and fortitude. To the end he witnessed a good confession, and having served his generation according to the will of God fell on sleep. From notes prepared by himself we gather he was born at Bearalstone, Devon, on April 11, 1836. His father was a mining engineer by profession, but at an early age Henry, the eldest son, left home and engaged himself to a farmer. He read and heard much of Australia, and when twenty years of age decided to emigrate to South Australia, where he arrived on November 27, 1856, after a voyage of 117 days. After working at McLaren Vale he moved to Strathalbyn, where he became a local preacher in connection with the Wesleyan Church. He was intensely earnest and enthusiastic in his work, often walking distances of 10 or 15 miles to fulfil his Sunday appointments, and that after long hours of work with his teams during the week, his occupation being that of a carrier. In 1872 Mr. Lamshed selected land at Yorke Valley. Here he at once interested himself in the religious welfare of his neighbours, throwing his house open for public worship on the Sundays, and frequently himself officiating as preacher. The present fine property of the Methodist Church in Maitland and the extension of the circuit are largely owing to his earnest and devoted labours in the early days of settlement. He took a prominent place in local affairs, being a member of the road board and district council for many years, and later was elected to represent the Peninsula in the House of Assembly, where he sat for the years 1890-2. He was one of the oldest Justices of the Peace in the State, and for a time was a member of the Licensing Bench. One of his contemporary legislators writes of him: "Mr. Lamshed's long life carried with it innumerable useful works. South Australia is much the better for his presence and the talents he displayed in her development." On Sunday, June 23, a commemorative service was held in the Maitland Church, the building being thronged. The discourse was based on the words quoted above, and the service was a season of solemn thanksgiving for the life and labours of one who by the grace of God had "served his generation."
The death of Mr, Henry Lamshed, which occurred at his residence, near MaitIand, on June 13, removes an old and honored colonist. He was the son of a mining engineer, but his ancestors had been settled on the land for about 800 years. In his younger days he was a man of great activity, and just the type of person to make a successful pioneer. He was born in Devonshire in 1836, and came to South Australia when 20 years of age. He settled at Strathalbyn where he lived for 15 years. As a young man he took an active interest in public affairs, and for some time he served as a councillor in the Strathalbyn district. He took up land on Yorkes Peninsula, where he served as a member of the road board until its abolition. He was the first chairman of the district council. In April, 1890, he was elected to Parliament for the district, with the late Mr. H. Bartlett. He made a close study of the land laws of the State, and was a supporter of liberal legislation for the settlement of the population. He represented the Yorke Peninsula district till 1896. He was one of the first members, of the Yorke Peninsula Licensing Bench. As chairman of the School Board of Advice and the Agricultural Society, and in connection with other public bodies he rendered valuable service. For a long period he was a local preacher in connection with the Methodist Church. Mr. Lamshed bad been three times married, and had a numerous family.