... Corny Point Home Page ...
Corny Point - SA. A Briliant Blend
Sitting on the north west tip of the Yorke Peninsula, Corny Point is a delightful seaside town.
Corny Point offers sheltered beaches as well as some excellent surf beaches within 15 minutes drive, including Rock Pool, Salmon Hole, Daly Head and Berry Bay. It also offers a wide variety of water sports, time to relax and some amazing scenery. And from Corny Point to Point Turton, you'll find some wonderful rock and beach fishing, offering Salmon, Snook and Trevally.
It's an easy drive away from Innes National Park and Stenhouse Bay and some great coastal drives - making it the perfect base for travelling the foot of Yorke Peninsula.
Corny Point is 260 kilometres from Adelaide and you can find accommodation in the Corny Point Caravan Park, as well as local holiday homes.
It was named Corny Point by Captain Flinders in 1802 due to the fact that it looks like a growth on the toe of the Yorke Peninsula. The town was originally established as a place for a lighthouse, which was completed in 1882 and is 12.2 metres high. Built of local limestone, it was initially serviced by a head keeper and assistant. The lighthouse ceased being manned in 1920.
Corny Point or Corney Point.
Friendly controversy of quite long standing in the Corny Point district concerns the correct spelling and the origin of the name ''Corny Point." Reference to authentic records reveals that Corny Point was named as such by Captain Matthew Flinders in the year 1802. To quote from the Journal of this navigator: "The howling of dogs was heard during the night and at daylight the shore was found to be distant two or three miles, and was "woody, rising land, but not of much elevation. A remarkable point, which I named Corny Point, was the furthest land visible to the westward." Flinders called it Corny Point because of its remarkable formation; its appearance on the map could be likened to a corn on the foot of Yorke Peninsula.
State Library of South Australia - B 26754 Corny Point Lighthouse, storeroom and cottages 1930.
State Library of South Australia - B 32291 Loading wheat to the Argosy Lemal in the background from horse-drawn wagon 1934.
State Library of South Australia - B 32201 Old blacksmith's shop at Corny Point Post Office 1930.
State Library of South Australia - B 32264 Corny Point: School - children with bicycles stand outside 1920.
State Library of South Australia - B 32274 Corny Point: Loading wheat to the Argosy Lemal from horse-drawn wagons 1934.
The Pioneers' Tablet.
The tablet erected to the memory of the pioneers of Corny Point and district, recently unveiled by the Premier (Hon. T. Playford, M.P.) contains the following names:—
To Commemorate the Pioneers of Corny Point and District.
1856—W. & J. Gilbert.
1865—R. L. Lander.
Mr. and Mrs. J. Y. Barclay,
Mr. and Mrs. Robert Burford,
Mr. and Mrs. William Goldsmith,
F. W. Peake. Otto Klem,
Mr. and Mrs. A. E. Bucklaud.
A. J. Egan.
1881 —W. B. Glover.
Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Robinson,
1883—Mr. and Mrs. Charles Hayes
Mr. and Mrs. David Ramsay,
Mr. and Mrs. George Liddiard,
F. E. Schaeider.
WHERE IS CABRIBIE.
October 12. where is Carribie? people will ask, and I may inform them that the Hundred of Carribie is at the extreme north-west corner of Southern Yorke's Peninsula. The land fit for agricultural purposes was taken up only about eighteen months ago. Those who have settled there seemingly mean to go into farming heart and soul, judging by the large paddocks under cultivation. The crops look splendid, equal to any on the Peninsula, and Dun's Point will see a large lot of wheat shipped if the weather continues favourable. The sample will be clean, as all is new land. The only difficulty at present is the means of transit, as the old tracks have been fenced by the proprietors of the land, and one requires to carry an axe to get through the trees and bushes on the surveyed lines of road. A memorial to the Surveyor-General will shortly be presented to obtain an alteration of the present state of affairs, and we trust that immediate steps will be taken to enable farmers to bring their product to the shipping-place. The postal matters are very unsatisfactory, as we only obtain a mail weekly by going to Messrs. Wigg's section in Parra Wurlie. No doubt the Postmaster General will be able to extend the route as far as the dairy, and no doubt a suitable person can be found to discharge the necessary duties.
We have had a share of rain, and the season and the weather have been all that could be desired.
A TRIP ON THE PENINSULA.
On the following morning we got underway betimes, and as we had new country to travel over we judged it the better policy to leave the trap at our friends, and continue on our journey in the saddle. At this part of the Peninsula I may say that the settlers have the sea, or rather the water of Spencers Gulf, to the north of them, consequently the hot winds, so much dreaded by agriculturists in other parts of the colony, must beat comparatively harmless here. As the morning was inviting we resolved to take the coastline in our track as far as Corny Point, where the Government purpose shortly to erect a lighthouse. Between our starting point and the gulf we passed what appeared to be a series of 'league-long' ocean waves driving on the sand, but as we neared the water they became more abrupt. The Sandy formations we found to extend some four or five miles in a westerly direction, being on average not more than a mile or a mile and a half in length, and half a mile in depth. Judging from the size of the timber which we saw growing here, principally sheoak, there must be some valuable vegetative properties in this sandy soil. Good water is procurable at a few feet below the surface. I think that this locality is well adapted for the cultivation of lucerne and such fodder plants. The settlement is one of the most recectly made on the Peninsula, but we saw several little garden plots already laid out, and things appeared to be coming on nicely. Where wheat had been put in before the rain, good, strong, and healthy-looking plants were showing above ground, and we found the settlers still busy ploughing and sowing. Before we came to the Point the soil which I have been describing runs out, and the ordinary formations of the Peninsula come up to the coast again — a broken limestone surface, with here and there a stratum of gravel or dry marl, with a thin crust of vegetable mould above. At the Point the surface swells up in bold bare undulations, almost destitute of timber of any kind. The only grasses that we could see (it has long been stocked with, kangaroos and sheep) was short black grass and spinidx intermixed. There is very little stone in this particular locality to interfere with the plough, and the soil seem of a very fair quality. As plains are scarce on the Peninsula, these bare undulations figure on the map as 'Barton's Plain.'
At Corny Point the land bends away back in a S.S.W. direction, having as far as the eye could distinguish a boldd broken coast-line, with deep water close by. We followed the windings of this coast-line for many miles until our watches told us that the sun had crossed the meridian, when we made a halt, broke down some branches of sheoak for our horses, and ate a delicious luncheon of cake and cheese, which my companion's thoughtful daughter had provided for the trip. Here we left the horses for a time, and proceeded to examine the coast, which we found to consist principally of granite boulders ground down into all variety of shapes by the action of the water, which must fall there in terrible fury at times. Ascending a bluff promontory we had a good view of Wedge island. Thistle Island was also visible at a greater distance towards the Port Lincoln coast. Here and there several knobs of rock of less importance wore seen thrusting their heads out of the water. Our impression of this sea and shore was an inhospitible place to the mariner in 'shade or breeze or storm.' The land for agricultural purposes in this part was very limited. A dense mallse scrub almost impenetrable and of considerable extent came in places to within a short distance of the sea-line. A good deal of it has been surveyed once, but I imagine it will require to be surveyed many more times before it is wanted by ''fellow-colonists.'' I dare say a game of surveying now and again is as profitable as a game at anything else. As we were beating our retreat we came across a couple of stragglers like ourselves camped beside a well. From them we learned that the bones of some unfortunate had been found in the scrub a few days previous — the remains of some long-lost traveller. I hope he may be the last unfortunate who may share such a fate there. The sound of the settlers' axe and bullock whip are now heard along this lone desert, and the evening air is musical with tinkling of bells. The tent of the wheat grower substitutes the wurley of the hunter of kangaroos and other wild game. In a few weeks the sailor 'far out' on the mast will catch the gleam of the sun on the galvanized iron roof of the homestead by day, and the light of the large kerosine lamp streaming through its windows by night. A change is taking place in even that desert land, which must result in good being done. But we were now on our return track, and one of the first questions we had asked was, '' Did you see the petrefied native woman at Corny Point' To our surprise we learned on good authority that such might have been seen in a granite cave. After sunset we found we had three miles to travel on an old station track, but as we knew our direction and we were both tolerable bushmen that did not matter much, as there was no danger of my companion and guide taking the moon for a settler's fire the second time. On the evening of the third day we arrived at our starting point as a steady rain began falling, being satisfied with the good fortune that attended us from beginning to the end of our little trip.
The Engineer-in-Chief reported that the new lighthouse at Corny Point was completed and ready for occupation. The President stated that the lightkeepers were proceeding to Corny Point on the following day.
CORNY POINT LIGHTHOUSE. AN EXTRAORDINARY PHENOMENON EXPLAINED.
In the Marine Board report, for 1882, the following remarks appear regarding Corny Point Light:— "The Corny Point lighthouse, Spencer Gulf, has been erected close to the headland of that name, which is the turning point into the small shipping places in Hardwicke Bay. The lantern, by Messrs. Chance Brothers, is a third order fixed lcnse apparatus, increased in its intensity by a dioptric reflecting glass mirror, and the. white light exhibited therefrom on the 1st March last, may be seen from a ship's deck al. a distance of twelve miles in clear weather, and considerably further when much refraction exists. This establishment also, is described in last years report. When the Corny Point lantern was made and xixca, it was supposed to be so arranged that the light would not be seen inside Webb Rock ; but it was discovered, some time after exhibition, that it could be seen inside the danger ; and, although every imaginable scheme has been tried, and the matter has been referred to the makers, the defect has not been rectified or explained. The Board have given the necessary notice to mariners, and the Engineer-in-Chief, who is now in London, has promised to consult Messrs. Chance Brothers as to this extraordinary phenomenon." Our respected townsman, Mr. W. Russell, a gentleman of known mathematical ability having his attention attracted to the subject, set about an investigation of the so-termed " extraordinary phenomenon," and speedily arrived at a solution of the mystery. It appears thatjin arranging the light, so as to shut out the rays outside a certain bearing, it has been assumed that the light proceeds from a point instead of from a body. Mr. Russell has pointed out that this is an error. An explanation can best be given by the aid of a diagram, which may easily be constructed. Take a point to represent the actual flame of the light, and from it project a line to a point representing Webb Rock. Draw another line from the central point to clear a certain point on the coast in a nearly opposite direction, the angle between these lines being 1G0 deg. Outside of the central flame is a lense globe on the supplemental angle formed by the two lines, and between the lines is the reflector arc, with a slightly greater radius than the lense arc. Outside the globe is a lantern of ten sides. In the figure described let L represent the circumference of the arc of the powerful lenses, C the central flame, and let Wbe Webb Rock. From the central poin C lines have been projected to clear two required poi n Wand X, between which it is dangerous for a vessel to be. To indicate this danger the arc (1G0°) between CW and CX is darkened by the lantern being colored between those lines. But it is found the light can be seen within this arc, supposed to have been darkened, and Mr. Russell points out that this is owing to the light having been assumed, to be cast from the point C, instead of from the whole illuminated body within the lenses. It is evident that the line CW which shuts out the light from C, will not exclude the light of the lense globe. If a tangent TL be drawn to the lens from the extreme darkened lantern edge, the lenses will be visible anywhere in the arc, included between this line and the tangent from Webb Rock to the lense.To remedy this, Mr. Russell suggests that another strip of the lantern should be darkened up to tli • point where the tangent from Webb Rock to the lcnse cuts the lantern (and similarly on the other side.) This will effectively exclude any sight of the lenses within the arc included between WL and XL. As, however, the rays are intensely powerful, it is possible that upon those from the lenses being obscured those from the lantern may still be visible. It has, in fact, been asserted that the light can be seen almost from the back. If this is so the rays must be reflected from the lantern, and it will be seen by a diagram that the lantern rays would be visible anywhere outside of the lines forming productions of those two sides of the lantern ou which the additional darkening is done. If these rays should be found to be sufficiently strong to be misleading. Mr. Russell suggests that the difficulty may be obviated by modifying the front of the lantern somewhat, bringing it closer round the centre in front. The explanation of the "extraordinary phenomenon" is absolutely clear, and the remedy with respect to the lenses is exceedingly simple, and could easily be tested in a single night, which we arc glad to learn will be at once done. A State paper has been printed, asserting that the Corny light affair is an "extraordinary phenomenon." Wccaunol, unfortunately, erase the statement from the report, but we can save further sacrifice of our credit by at once letting Messrs. Chance Brothers know that we have gentlemen amongst us of sufficient mathematical talent to solve a problem, which was at first thought puzzling. If after the lenses have been shut out the light is still visible within the proscribed radius, although, we make no pretension to skill in lighthouse architecture, we cannot sec what difficulty there can be in effecting the modification in the shape of the front portion of the lantern, so as to remedy that defect also. However, Mr Russell has, with highly creditable read", ncss agreed to accompany the. President, this (Friday) evening to take actual observations at Corny Point, and we shall no doubt in a day or two have full and satisfactory particulars. The explanation of Mr. Russell has awakened a spirit of enquiry in other directions, and suggestions have since been received from Mr. Armstrong, and from Mr. Christie (keeper of the light). The former asserts that the only way to prevent a false light is to shut out a considerable portion of the sea. Mr. Christie offers the theory that light is reflected from one of the panes of the lantern which could of course be obviated by appreciation of Mr. Russell's principles.
WAROOKA, October 1. A whale fifty feet long was washed ashore at Corny Point on Saturday evening last.
SOUTHERN YORKE'S PENINSULA.
From Elim to Corney Point, in the hundred of Carribie, is about ten miles. Most of the country is taken up under the Scrub Lands Act, and there are some good average crops on that which is cultivated. It is expected that the yield will be from eight to ten bushels. Further inland the ground is very inferior and utterly unfit for cultivation. There is a post-office at Corney Point, kept by Mr. J. Y. Barclay, who has a farm of about 400 acres. The wheat crop appeared thin and short, but the hay harvest turned out well. He has a small paddock laid down with lucern, which seemed to be suceeding admirably. Mr. Barclay is a well-read man, and has evidently found time among his many engagements to acquire a considerable amount of information. The mails from Adelaide for Carribie pass through Edithburgh, Yorketown, and Warooka, and arrive at their destination once a week only, on Sunday mornings, and are dispatched the same day at about 2 p.m. Every Sunday afternoon Mr. Barclay conducts a Church of England service in his house, which is attended by most of his neighbors. At the Point is the lighthouse, a brick and stone erection, in the tower of which is a fixed dioptric light of the third order. The head keeper and his assistant (Messrs. Dagwell and Christie, respectively) have their residences adjoining. Mr. Dagwell was for many years harbormaster at Glenelg. Shortly before my visit to the Point a large whale 50 feet long was found one morning stranded two miles south of the lighthouse. The skeleton was preserved, and has, I believe, been bought by the Government. During the time the whale was lying on the sands a lot of people went down from Yorketown and Warooka to see it, and the place became unusually lively for a few days. The number of empty whisky bottles still lying about at the scene of the "wreck" is uncommonly suggestive. The coast, from the lighthouse as far as Daly Head, is high and bold, and from there to West Cape, and round by Cape Spencer, opposite the Althorpe Islands, to Rhino Point, it is bolder still; in places the scenery is grand.
CRUISE OF THE MUSGRAVE.
The Musgrave left the Althorpes at 2 a.m. and, anchored off CORNY POINT, where there is a white stone tower ninetyeight feet high, standing conspicuously upon an elevation of the promontory. Here the landing was easy and the inspection was satisfactory, the lighthouse and cottages being clean enough to satisfy even a Dutch housewife. The Corny Point light has become famous for a vagary of its own, which has puzzled not only the Marine Board and many nautical authorities, but such experts in lighthouses as Chance Brothers. The lighthouse in Corny Point, which lies south-west of Hardwicke Bay has this peculiarity— it throws an arc of reflected light inside Webb Rook, which lies six and a half miles south-west half south from the Point. As this arc of light may be mistaken for the true one by incautious mariners the Marine Board and others interested have been much exercised in their minds to find a remedy. When the matter was reported the Musgrave took a special cruise to ascertain the truth of the complaint, but found that the light was shut out on nearing Webb Rock, and considered the complaint unfounded, but subsequently another shipmaster. reported that he could see the light inside of the Rock, and on further examination it was discovered that such was the case, the so-called light being a reflection, the cause of which has not been fathomed. Screens have been tried and other measures adopted, but the reflection still persistently appears, and is supposed to be caused by some peculiarity in the form of one of the lenses.-- However, it does not appear to be a matter of vital importance, as vessels have only to adhere strictly to the sailing directions for Spencer's Gulf and the vagaries of Corny Light cannot trouble them. Goats seems to be the strong feature of Corny Point. The region is a barren one. where only a goat or a lighthouse-keeper could exist, but a few miles inland signs of cultivation were visible. Corny Point Light is reckoned the most useful in the Gulf.
The Earthquake Shock.
The head-keeper of the Corny Point lighthouse has forwarded a report to the Marine Board to the effect that at half-past 7 o'clock on the morning of April 17 a shock of earthquake was felt at the point. The vibration caused the verandahs to creak and the crockery in the dwellings to rattle. The shock was accompanied by a rumbling noise, which appeared to be travelling from south southwest to north north-east. The weather was fine but cloudy, with a clear atmosphere and a light breeze blowing from the south east. No cracks had made their appearance in any of the buildings, but he was rather doubtful about the underground tanks.
CORNY POINT LIGHTHOUSE.
Mr. A. Webling, headkeeper of the Corny Point Lighthouse, has reported to the Marine Department at Port Adelaide that at 8.5 p.m. on September 19 a severe earth-shock was felt, apparently travelling from about east to west, and shaking tbe light- house to such an extent that as he sat in the lantern on watch it appeared as if the building would topple over. The vibration continued about 1½ minutes at least. The apparatus was shaken considerably, the bolts which held it in position on top being wrenched out. A trifling interference with the light was corrected immediately. On inspecting the buildings the next day he found that the top of the apparatus had been torn from its fastenings, and that the iron casting which supported it was broken at the base. The base of the tower, about 4 ft. from the ground, was cracked all round. The keepers secured the top of the apparatus and adjusted the lamp, and everything was satisfactory so far as the exhibition of the light was concerned. He suggested that for the safety of the tower an inspection by a competent man should be made without delay. The cottages suffered slightly, a few cracks showing, and the store also had a few cracks. A second shock was felt at 7.7 p.m. on Saturday, but no damage was apparent, although the cylinder rattled considerably and the pendulum clocks stopped. The Marine Board secretary communicated with the Engineer-in-Chief 's Department, and it was decided to send an inspector across on Saturday by the steamer Warooka. Corny Point is about 14 miles from the township of Warooka, which received such a severe shaking by the earthquake.
The landing of stores having been successfully effected, and Mr. Parker, the head keeper, relieved from duty by a substitute, tiie steamer at about 3 o'clock proceeded on her voyage to Corny Point via the Gambier Island. Mr. Parker ie in course of transfer to Cape Jaffa in place of Mr. Young. Corny Point was reached between 9 and 10 o'clock. A quiet anchorage was sought for the night, and the party had a good sleep. A landing was effected early nest morning, when the substantial damage done by the earthquake was carefully inspected by Mr. Moncrieff and Air. Searcy. It was found that all necessary repairs had been carried out by the officers of the Engineer-in-Ohief's Department. This station is now a marvellous contrast to what it was a few years ago, when the wind took charge and shifted the sandhills daily. This has been done by judicious planting of marram grass, tamarisk, and pigface. It was here that the earthquakes seems to have had its centre, because most of the serious results reported were in the immediate neighbourhood of Corny Point and Warooka.
Corney Point Methodist Anniversary.
The anniversary of the Corney Point Methodist Sunday-school and Church was held on Sunday and Monday last. The weather was very unfavourable for travelling long distances, but nevertheless there was a very good attendance at the services conducted by the Rev. W. B. Mather, morning and evening. On Monday the tea was held in the schoolroom, the weather still being too unfavorable for the usual picnic, still, the enthusiasm of young and was not damped, if the grass was, for between 40 and 50 sat down to tea beside children. The schoolroom was filled for the annual meeting. Mr. Turner presided, and addresses were given by Mr. Churchward, B.A., and Rev, W. B. Mather. The secretary's and treasurer's reports were presented by Mr. 0, Klem, both showing a aatisf actory state of things. This annual gathering is always pleasant and the latest was no exception to the rule.
BOAT ASHORE.SMASHED ON THE ROCKS.
Mr. J. Kopp, head keeper of Corny Point Lighthouse, has reported to the secretary of the Marine Board having, on Saturday afternoon, found the sides, stern, and fragments of a boat 16 ft. long on the rocks about 700 yards south of the lighthouse. To all appearances the boat had not been long in the water. The sides, both in and out, were painted white, with blue gunwale; the bottom was painted red and the thwarts white, with red centre and a narrow blue streak around the red. The port side had three rowlock cleats, with a, diamond-shaped brass plate let in. A boat's mast, about 12 ft. long, with two galvanized iron rings and fragments of a boat sail still attached, was also found. Other portions of the boat were jammed underneath the rocks. Mr. Kopp was unable to set at them on account of the surf. There was no sign that anybody had occupied tbe boat before she stranded and broke up.
RETIRING CIVIL SERVANT.
Sir. Alfred Charles Webling whose portrait wo reproduce, was born in 1837 at Packham. in the County of Surrey, England. After leaving school he followed the sea, trading between London and Australia and India. He was in an Indian Port at the time of the mutiny. On his return to England he joined the Royal Navy, and was drafted with others to II.M.S. Euryalus, a 51-gun frigate, in which vessel he was appointed boatswain of the Duke of Edinburgh's gig on a cruise by His Royal Highness up the Mediterranean and out to the Cape of Good Hope. Webling then joined the ship Blue Jacket, bound to Australia, and, having been released from his vessel became a member of a government engaged in surveying the South Australian coast. He was one of the first party to go to the Northern Territoiy in 1864, and returning to Adelaide was variously employed at the dockyard till late in 1867, when he was appointed third keeper of the lightship, Port Adelaide. Mr. Webling has been employed in most of the lighthouses up to the present time, and, having attained the age limit, is now enjoying extended leave of absence, at the close of which he will retire from the service.
IN SEARCH OF PETROLEUM.
YORKETOWN, August 28. — Considerable interest is being taken in what may turn out to be a valuable discovery near Corny Point. A shaft is in course of sinking on good indications of petroleum. Several local residents are interested in the project and samples of oil-bearing shale have been sent to the city for assay. The peculiarity of the' formation of the country round that locality was particularly noticeable last week when the Messrs. Boundy were sinking postholes for the erection of a fence. A crowbar was used for breaking, the rock formation, and it suddenly disappeared. The man using it managed to grasp the end before it went completely out of sight. An investigation disclosed an underground cavity 11 ft. deep. Unfortunately they did not strike oil, but salt water.
Mr. F. Peake.
Mr. F. Peake, an old and respected resident of Yorketown, died on May 20, aged 83 years. He was a native of Nor.h:inip-toushire. and arrived in South Australia 40 years ago. For some years he was farming at Kallcabury, and afterwards was the first settler to crop land at CornyPoint. His late years were spent in Yorketown, where his widow (nee Nurse Salte:) for some years conducted the local hospital. Deceased was twice married. Four sons survive with the widow.
French Ship Ashore. At Corny Point Full of Water CREW SAFE.
On Wednesday night a wireless message was received through "the Navy, which stated:—"Boieldieu ashore at Corney Point; water in hold; want help immediately." The vessel had loaded over 3000 tons of wheat at Port Lincoln for France, and had commenced her homeward journey. No wireless communication could be effected with the French 'barque Boieldieu on Thursday morning'. The nearest telegraph station to Corny Point is Warooka, about '12 miles distant, and from there the agents at Port; Adelaide, Messrs. George Wills and Co., received the following telegram:—Boieldieu aground; full of water; wire orders." The agents wired 'back that they had arranged for the Adelaide Steamship Co.'s 'Ferret and Quorna, which are returning to Port Adelaide from Gulf trips, to call and render any assistance necessary. As the steam tug Eagle, which was despatched at 2.30 a.m., could not reach there until between 3 and 4 p.m., the Marine Board arranged with the Commonwealth Lighthouse Department to telegraph to the lighthouse-keeper for information, and at noon the following telephone message was received by the Marine Board through the Warooika post offiec:—"Corny Point lighthousekeeper advises that the French barque Boieldieu is ashore two, miles E.N.E. of lighthouse and about two miles from the shore. The vessel, which is full of water, is in a safe position. All the crew are safe, and still on board. It is understood that the wireless of the ship is out of order. The Quorna and Ferret have been instructed to proceed to the barque's assistance, and should reach there about 1 o'clock." Corney ' Point is a headland on the Yorke Peninsula side of Spencer Gulf, almost opposite Port Lincoln, Which is about 60 miles distant. The headland has a lighthouse, and vessels have been known to go ashore there and then be floated off safely. Captain Marshall Smith, of Port Adelaide, who knows the position well, States that it is a dangerous locality. The north side of Corney Point is rocky for a certain distance, and is also rock on the west side. When first arriving on the South Australian coast the Boieldieu reported at Borda for orders and came on to the Semaphore anchorage for stores. She left the Semaphore anchorage on December 19 for Port Lincoln to load wheat, arriving at the Port in December. Captain Cromarty, a Port Adelaide surveyor, piloted the vessel to the outport.
OFF THE TRACK.
YORKETOWN, January 21.On Friday last Mr. J. J. Anderson, of Corny Point, accompanied by his son and a returned soldier, Mr. George Smith, went out to sink a well about nine miles from the homestead, near Cotter's Castle, in the Warooka distict. They worked at the well until about 6.p.m., and then started or home in a buggy. After they had driven for a short distance the son and Smith , (the latter was spending a holiday with the Andersons) decided to leave the vehicle and go for a bit of kangaroo snooting. They arranged to join Mr. Anderson at the end of the section. By some means the two sportsmen, became separated. Young Anderson reached the buggy safely but Smith did not appeat. After a short interval the Andersons fired off shots and 'coo-eed,' but received no reply from Smith. Mr. Anderson and the lad then began a search, and remained in the bush until 11 p.m., when they decided to return to their home. Next morning, at 4 o'clock, Mr. Anderson went out in search of the missing man. Having traversed many miles of country in vain, he found it necessary to secure a change of horses, and then he went off again. He picked up some tracks near the White Hut, followed them to the pipeclap works, and from there to the Dusthole. At the latter place there were traces as if some one had had a drink of water and then struck off for the coast. The night was dark, and Mr. Anderson retorted to his home. He had 'done out' two pairs of horses in the search. On Monday morning Smith put in an appearance at the Anderson's residence. He had mistaken the route, to Corny Point. He picked up the Althorpee Light, and went towards it, thinking he was heading for the point. He then followed the coast to Koygton Head, and finally struck across country to the Permasite Company's works, near Cape Spencer, Where he arrived at 2.30 on Saturday afternoon. He had been travelling from 6 p.m. on Friday.
A ROMANTIC CAREER. Birthday of Mr. A. C. Webling.
To-day Mr. Alfred Charles Webling, I.S.O., who was a marine surveyor in the early days of South Australia, and a lighthouse keeper at Corny Point, and other parts of the coast for many years, will celebrate the eighty-eighth anniversary of his birth. Most of his life has been spent either on the sea or in the midst of it; and during his long connection with the lighthouse service he was distinguished by integrity and devotion to duty. The octogenarian was born at Peckham, Surrey (England), in 1837, and joined the Royal Navy at the age of 21 years, where he served in Her Majesty's frigate Euryalis, of 51 guns. This was the old fighter which Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh (who died in 1900) had just joined as a midshipman, and was recognised as one of the smartest ships in the Royal Navy. Mr. Webling was selected for the position of bowman of the Prince's gig throughout the commission, and he clearly recalls the farewell visit which Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort paid their son on the eve of his first putting out to sea, of the tenderness with which the Queen bade farewell to her boy, and of the pride of the young officer in his smart uniform.
The Blacks of Skirmish Point
Having completed his engagement, Mr Webling joined the merchant service and embarked upon a ship bound for South Australia. He arrived in the then 25year-old colony in 1862, and, filled with a desire to see more of the little-known areas, immediately joined the Marine Survey Department, and was dispatched on an admiralty survey trip. During his association with the Survey Department, which lasted until 1867, he had many exciting experiences. When the old survey schooner Beatrice anchored off Skirmish Point, on the Alligator River, Northern Territory, a party went ashore to take observations. Engrossed in their work, they did not notice that a number of blacks were approaching stealthily through the bush, and their first intimation of danger was a bloodcurdling yell, as the armed natives sprang up in front of them. Abandoning their instruments and fowling pieces, the party dashed to the seashore and pushed off just in time, leaving the savages to ponder over the meaning of the strange 'devil sticks' of the white fellow. Thus Skirmish Point, came into being.
How Webling Point Gets Its Name.
The veteran is perhaps to be envied, for one reason, at any rate. Like many pioneers in the days when names were scarce and places many, his name is enshrined in the map of the State. Pleasant though it is for him to be able to claim an im-perishable cognomen, the incident which gave rise to the christening of Webling Point was far from agreeable, and might easily have been tragical. On one occasion the young man was left on a peninsula near Port Broughton, with a week's supply of food, while the schooner visited other sections of the coast. His duty was to observe and record the behaviour of the tides. Like Alexander Selkirk on Juan Fernandez, he was monarch of all he surveyed. He had little to do but 'survey' in two senses, and the interest in that died as the days wore on and his food supply diminished, with no sign of the vessel. The food eventually vanished, but the ship did not appear, and the marooned one was forced, to fend for himself. Wondering whether the Beatrice had been lost and the crew drowned or murdered, and whether he would ever be picked up, he managed to catch enough fish and cockles to keep him alive. After seven days of painful anxiety he was overjoyed to see a sail on the horizon, and several hours later the Beatrice dropped anchor and a boatload of his shipmates grounded on the beach. He then found out that the schooner had gone ashore in a storm, and that it had taken several days to refloat her and make her seaworthy.
Tending the Light.
After five years' survey work, Mr. Webling joined the light service, and was stationed on the lightship at the mouth of the Port Adelaide River. He witnessed the building of the old Port Adelaide Lighthouse, and was then stationed at Cape Borda until 1872 as assistant keeper. Thence for a few months he held the position of second keeper at Cape Jaffa. The Cape Willoughby Lighthouse was Mr. Webling's next charge, after which he was appointed head keeper of the lightship that was anchored at Moonta Bay. As soon as the Tipara Lighthouse had been finished Mr. Webling was placed in charge of it, and when the well-known Althorpes light was placed in position he was again transferred. That was early in 1878. After four years be was appointed harbourmaster and sub-collector of customs at Glenelg, but when the mailboat discontinued making that place a port of call was sent to Corny Point, where he remained for 19 years, tending his lamp and performing faithfully his work of safeguarding the ships that passed that dangerous point. His seventieth birthday was reached while he was there, and in April, 1906, he had to retire. For 45 years he had been a loyal public servant, and 40 years had been spent in lighthouses and lightships, with the swish and roar of the ocean in his ears and the knowledge that upon the efficiency of his light depended the lives of scores of men and women. Not a single black mark was recorded against his name, and in recognition of his devotion to duty he was, in 1908, decorated with the Imperial Service Medal. The Governor (Sir George Le Hunte), in pinning the medal on his breast, referred in highly appreciative terms to the veteran's faithful service, and congratulated him upon his distinction.
Mr. Webling is sturdy and enjoys fairly good health, although he is confined to his chair a good deal through rheumatism. He has been twice married, and his family consists of four sons and eight daughters and 16 grandchildren. Three sons served in the Great War and were wounded. Mr. Webling, who lives in Ansell street, Semaphore, has been a Freemason for 41 years, having joined the MacDonnell Lodge, Glenelg, in 1883.
MR. A. C. WEBLING. Formerly a marine surveyor and lighthouse keeper, who will be 88 years of age to-day. photo
MR. A. C. WEBLING
Mr. Alfred Charles Webling, who died at his residence, Ansell-street, Semaphore, was born in 1837 at Peckham, Surrey. At the age of 21 he joined the Royal Navy, serving in the frigate Euralyis. which had just been joined by Prince Alfred as a midshipman. Having completed his engagement, Mr. Webling joined the merchant service, and sailed for South Australia. He reached Port Adelaide in 1862, and served in the Marine Survey Department until 1867. Mr. Webling then joined the lighthouse service, and was stationed on the lightship at the mouth of the Port River. He was later transferred to Cape Borda as assistant keeper, and for a few months was second keeper at Cape Jaffa. The Cape Willoughby Lighthouse was Mr. Webling's next charge, after which he was appointed head keeper of the lightship at Moonta Bay. Subsequently he had charge of the Tipara and Althorpe lights. In 1882 he was appointed harbormaster and sub-collector of Customs at Glenelg, and later was sent to Corny Point, where he remained for 19 years. In April, 1906, he retired after 45 years' service. In 1908 his devotion to duty was recognised by the conferring upon him of the Imperial Service Medal. He leaves a widow and two children.
MR. 0. KLEM, OF CORNY POINT. Celebrates his 82nd Birthday.
it is interesting to note that Mr. O. Klem of Corny Point, who celebrated his 82nd birthday last Saturday, September 19, is still an active worker on his farm. He cuts posts, erects fences and does a fair amount of riding. The above is a typical picture of him ready to visit a neighbour or round up a mob of sheep. When Mr. and Mrs. Klem left the storekeeping business at Edithburgh and journeyed through 50 odd miles of scrub to Corney Point, people said they would starve—and they almost did. Superphosphates came in and saved the situation. Mr Klem is a thrifty farmer and Mrs. Klem a wonderful housekeeper so they pulled through the hard times successfully. Mr. Klem came to the State with his parents when seven years of age. In those days the coastline was not charted, and light-houses to warn mariners of dangerous shoals and rocks were scarce and the vessel was nearly wrecked when off Kangaroo Island. He spent his youth at Morialta and Pewsy Vale. Mr. Klem's father, who was a professional gardener and viticultnrist, built the first hot house, and laid out the orange garden and flower beds for the late Hon. Jas. Baker. It was in 1872 that Mr. Otto Klem arrived at Edithburgh, where he and a partner opened the first store. He also took charge of the first Post Office on Southern Yorke Peninsula. At that time the mails were brought across the Gulf St. Vincent from Glenelg in a 5 ton cutter, by Abraham Martin of Sultana. He arrived regularly at 7 o'clock on Suuday mornings. In those days, he would run a special business trip across the Golf for 30/-. In 1879 Mr. Klem took up land at Corny Point, where, after the lean years of early days, many things worked together for success.
CORRESPONDENCE "CORNY POINT"
Sir—In the last issue of your paper you printed a letter from a Corny Point resident who maintains that the spelling "Corny Point" is incorrect. I cannot agree that Flinders was unable to ascertain the shape of the coastline, In support, I quote from his book "A Voyage to Terra Australis": "All the bearings were laid down as soon as taken whilst the land was in sight; and before retiring to rest I made it a practice to finish up the rough chart for the day, as also my journals of astronomical observations of bearings and of remarks. When we hauled off from the coast at night every precaution was made to come in with the same point in the morning as soon after daylight as practicable; and when the situation of the ship relatively to the land of the preceding evening was ascertained, our route along the coast was resumed." This is taken from extracts from his book printed in the April issue of the Education Gazette as he sailed south on the eastern side of Spencer's Gulf he had mapped that part which appears like a foot before he came to a protruding point, which resembles a corn in relation to the previous analogy'. On his map made in 1802, he named this point as Corny Point. He may have known people by the name of Corney; how ever, there is no reference associating them with the naming of Corny Point in his journal. In naming places after people, his journal indicates that it was his usual custom to make reference to the people concerned, e.g., Fowler's Bay, Thistle Island Coffin's Bay, Memory Cove Taylor's Isle. The fact that he may have known people called Corney can only be accepted as a coincidence in regard to the naming of Corny Point. Correct spelling is undoubtedly Corny Point. Reference to early files of "The Pioneer" containing histories of place names, culled from historical documents, and further reference to the Archives Department reveal no trace in any official document of "Corny Point" spelt "Corney Point.'' The historical tablet bearing the name "Corney Point" referred to last week is not at the school, but opposite the school.—Ed. in the near future, applications will again be called for the position.