Moonta, September 4, Evening.

Thomas Woolcock, a miner, died to-day at Yelta from, it was rumoured, the effects of poison. An inquest begun by Mr. E. H. Derrington, J.P., lasted for three hours, and then was adjourned till to-morrow to permit of a post-mortem, examination of the body being made in the meantime.

Moonta, September 5.

At the adjourned inquest on the body of Thomas Woolcock, in the Local Court-House, there was a large attendance of the public. The Jury sat for five hours, and after having retired tor 28 minutes returned a verdict to the effect that the deceased came to his death through the effects of low irritative poisoning, and they were of opinion that the poison was given to him by his wife. Elizabeth Woolcock, who was then committed for trial to the Supreme Court.

Mrs. Woolcock's Trial.

CHARGE OF MURDER BY POISONING. (Before Mr. Justice Wearing.]

Elizabeth Woolcock was placed in the dock charged with feloniously, wilfully, and with malice aforethought killing her husband,

Thomas Woolcock, by the administration of poison, at North Yelta, on September 4, 1873. The Hon. R. B. Andrews, Q.C. (Crown Solicitor), appeared for the Crown; Dr. Kauff-mann conducted the defence. The prisoner, who is apparently a young woman, and who appeared in the dock in deep mourning, having been indicted, and pleaded in a low voice "not guilty," The Crown Solicitor proceeded to open the case to the Jury. He explained that the crime of murder was the killing a person either with express or implied malice. Unfortunately, however, it would be unnecessary for him to trace the legal distinctive classes of malice, as the Crown relied on proving a clear case of the more deliberate crime. He need hardly dwell on the gravity of the issues which they would have to decide, and he had only to solicit their most serious consideration for the evidence which would be submitted. It was hardly possible to conceive a worse position than that in which the prisoner stood, but he must ask them to divest the case of all sentiment, and weigh the testimony which would be adduced with the same calmness as if the matter was simply a question of stealing a watch. Whatever might have been said outside, or whatever theories they might have heard or read, it was their duty to entirely put out of mind, and look simply at the evidence which would be placed before them. They would have time to satisfy themselves that the deceased was the person charged in the indictment ; secondly, that he had been poisoned and thirdly, that the prisoner was the means of causing his death. He could not but say that the case for the prosecution allowed a clear and deliberate poisoning as could possibly have been con-ceived by a murderer. They would hear that the immediate cause of death was salivation by mercury, and that a post-mortem examination disclosed mercury in the liver. The poison, it appeared, had been administered by small doses, and that fact most strongly supported the inference of express malice. Of course the questions might arise how could a woman such as the prisoner know what would be the effect of the administration of mercury? And why she should not have given it in large doses? They would have to consider those matters if they thought there was anything favorable in the accused to be deduced from them. The particular description of poison which had been used was white precipitate powder, which they would hear, if administered in large doses, would produce immediate vomiting, but if the quantity given was small the baneful effects would be brought about by excessive purgation. He might point out to them that the deceased and his wife never lived happily together, even in the earliest days of their married life. At one time the prisoner asked that a man named Pascoe might be allowed to lodge with them, and though the deceased objected at first, he was ultimately persuaded to consent to the arrangement. Deceased, however, frequently quarreled with the lodger. It appeared also that undue familiarity existed between the prisoner and Pascoe, and finally deceased succeeded in getting him out of his house. They would hear the details of the illness which resulted in the death of the unfortunate man : they would hear that the prisoner had frequently purchased poisons of different kinds, that she alone attended to the deceased, and that he came by his death by the administration of poison. Unfortunately it was only after the fatal termination of Woolcock's illness that suspicions had been aroused, and the result was that the doctor refused to give a certificate as to the cause of death. From the evidence which would be laid before them now it would be seen that the original illness of the deceased arose under very peculiar circumstances, the man having been working at his ordinary em-ployment, and, as usual, his dinner was sent to him from home, but soon after eating it he was attacked with giddiness and sickness. The learned counsel then called attention at some length to the leading features of the evidence, and, in conclusion, again urged upon the Jury the serious nature of the duty imposed upon them, but warned them that no consideration of consequences should influence their verdict. He did not wish in any way to press the case against the accused, and any reasonable doubt which might arise in their minds, the prisoner should have full advantage of. While doing so, however, it must be remembered that the interests of justice and the public were to be carefully guarded. He then called George Francis of North Adelaide, who said— I am an analytical chemist. On Thursday, Sep-tember 11, I received from Constable Farrell a jar. It was closed with a bung and sealed. Opened it and found that it contained the great-est part of the stomach, portion of the liver and intestine, and one kidney of a human being. There was a small quantity of bloody-looking fluid in the stomach, and loose in the jar. The mucous membrane of the stomach was almost too far gone in decomposition to say decidedly what action had taken place on it. The large intestine showed marks of considerable inflam-mation, and was much decomposed. The kid-ney was in it's natural state, the liver was vascular, or as if gorged with blood, more like an excited liver. Mercury would stimulate the liver. Analyzed the fluid separately, and the solid parts in the ordinary way by cutting them up, and then causing chemical solution. Took only a portion of each, reserving the greatest part. Detected mercury in fluid and solids. Here is the mercurial product. It may be seen through a glass. [A very small tube was put in con-taining an infinitesimal portion of some sub-stance.] I found no other poison. I was as-sisted in a second analysis—of the larger portion of the contents of the jar—by Dr Charles Gosse. The result is metallic mercury col-lected in the same way, and enclosed in this tube. Had to use portion of it to prove the analysis. [A second tube was put in.] On September 18, Sergeant Bentley brought me more of the liver in one bottle, and the other kidney and some in-testines in another. Myself and Dr. Gosse analysed the contents of the bottle which had the liver in. We got as the product a very large result in metallic mercury. Portion of it is in that tube (produced.) The rest of it was used to prove that it was mercury. The red bottle (produced) contains peroxide of mercury pro-duced by the iodine test, the next (produced) is the yellow oxide of mercury and this (produced) is the black sulphuret of mercury. All these came from the liver. That is all I analysed of the internals of the deceased. White precipi-tate is an irritant poison, composed of chloride of mercury and chloride of ammonia. The system absorbs mercury when administered in frequent small doses. I received the viscera of a dog from Police-constable Farrell in October last. It was in two bottles. I alone examined the contents, and found mercury throughout the whole viscera. I received the bottle produced marked B from Farrell, containing a small quan-tity of fluid with a white powder at the bottom, which is white precipitate. I proved it to be mercury by applying the usual tests, and I pro-duce the result. The result of this analysis was the same as that obtained from the human liver and intestines first sent to me. I also re-ceived the four bottles produced. One contains chloride of zinc, another the remainder of a medicine, the directions for taking which were on the label, but there was a powder at the bot-tom which the prescription affixed to the bottle did not account for. That powder was only car-bonate of magnesia. A paper produced marked B, labelled "Oxalic acid, poison" was also for-warded to me, and I found it to be oxalic acid. A bottle produced, marked E, labelled "Anti-monial wine," was apparently empty; but there were long crystals adhering to the inside. Those crystals, on examination, proved to be oxalic acid. By the Court—It is not usual to give the quantities in analysis, as the object is only to identify the presence of the mineral. In the dog the quantity of merrcury was small), but in the human remains it was excessive.

Examination continued—I got more than a grain and a half from the liver, and that demon, strated that the actual quantity absorbed by the man must have been very large. Mercury when found in one part of the system will be found throughout the whole of it. There are two sorts of Mercury—white precipitate and red precipi tate. The latter is an oxide. There is no evidence as to which is the most powerful poison. I should consider that mercury would produce salivation. That would be the first result of its being taken. Cross-examined—The first jar I received was a stone jar, and I could get my hand into the mouth. It was covered, and sealed on to the string and leather, so that it could not be opened without breaking the cork or cutting the string. I found mercury in the whole of the first jar; I should think about a grain weight. Mercury can be contained in the body in large quantities without injury if it is not absorbed by the system. I can swear there was no mercury in a metallic state in the intestines and liver sent to me. It could not exist in that state under the circumstances. I have no mercury in the labo ratory. I constantly use mercury. All the instruments used in the examination deposed to were perfectly new. We are specially cautious in these cases. No foreign substance came into contact either with the label or the vessels used in the analysis. I had no other analysis on hand while this one was going on ; everything else was put on one side. Mercury was the only poison detected. I tried for other substances, You can detect the hundredth part of a grain of mercury. The quantity discovered in this analyses is always small. I consider the quan tity gathered from the experiments I have de posed is very excessive. Calomel is a less powerful form of mercury than white precipitate: so is blue pill and grey powder. Corrosive sublimate is more irritant than white precipitate; it would have the same effect on the system that a hot iron would on cloth. By the Court—I could not say what quantity of mercury would destroy life in all cases, as it would depend greatly on the nature of the sys tem to which it was administered. Morphine would allay the griping, and probably the sick-ness caused by the administration of mercury. It would facilitate the absorption of the mercury into the system. Charles Gosse, duly qualified medical practi-tioner—I assisted in examining with Mr Fran-cis the viscera of a human being. We deduced metallic mercury in the liver, as shown in the tubes produced. I was not present at the first analysis. There must have been a great quantity of mercury taken by this person, as the liver was charged with it, and it could not get into that part of the system except by absorption. Small doses would be most favorable to absorption. White precipitate is chloride of ammonia and mercury. It is poison. Small doses of it would cause absorption of metallic mercury by the liver. Salivation would ensue if the doses were continued. That would undoubtedly be one stage in the poisoning. As we found the mercury in the liver, I concluded the body and all the tissues were saturated with it. Cross-examined—It is impossible to say how long the subject might take mercury before serious consequences would ensue. Mercury might be held in the system for years. White precipitate is considered by the profession to be an irritant ; not so much so as corrosive sublimate. The action of a drug given in a small dose is very different to its action when given in a large dose. I have known instances of white precipitate being taken by mistake without producing serious results. A person who has an affection of the kidneys would be very susceptible to mercury. It would be impossible to say whether previously taken mercury would in case the kidneys became affected act prejudicially. Attention would probably be directed to the affection of the kidneys. There are cases on record of salivation having occurred without mercury having been given. Salivation may arise from other causes besides the giving of mercury. Ulceration in the lower part of the viscera might be caused by dysentery, and also by typhoid fever. The latter disease may be produced, it is said, by bad water or milk or improper drainage. Ulceration may be found in all parts of the body in the last stages of consumption. Mercury usually affects the brain. In consumption the brain may be healthy. Morphine and oxalic acid would affect the brain. Adhesion of the lungs to the adjacent parts of the body would show disease. Mercury would necessarily pass through the heart if taken into the system. It would not be apparent from superficial exami-nation whether mercury had been absorbed by the liver. A man of weak constitution suffering from disease of the kidneys would be very sus-ceptible to mercury. It does not necessarily follow in the last stages of consumption, when the throat is ulcerated, that the bowels are affected. The mucous membrane of the æso-phagus is affected and discolored by irritant poisons. The whole of the viscera would be affected by mercury. The intestines I examined appeared inflamed. Convultions frequently followed the administration of irritant poisons— that is, if the dose were sufficiently Iarge. I do not know whether Cockle's pills contain mer-cury. When mercury has caused vomiting there is generally very great pain. The mind would in some instances be affected by the poi-on. The water in mineral districts is frequently affected, and that would act on the bowels. George Bull, M.D., legally qualified medical practitioner, said—I knew deceased, and am acquainted with prisoner. I was called upon to attend deceased in June last. He was a miner. I visited him at his house at Yelta. I don't recollect who came for me. The symptoms were those of ordinary catarrh or feverish cold. I did not administer any mercury. I only visited him twice on that occasion. About a month afterwards I visited him again ; he had precisely the same symptoms. Mercury would in many cases present the same symptoms of feverish cold. He complained bitterly when I visited him of the state of his throat. I examined his throat, which presented a pecu-Iiarly glary appearance. The gums were not then affected. There was discharge of saliva, but it did not amount to what I call salivation. The tongue was white as in feverish cases. The exhibition of mercury might produce this whiteness of the tongue. I then ordered a couple of podophyalin pills, which contained a third of a grain of mercury in each, but I understood from prisoner that he did not take them. She said he could not take either the mixture or the pills, as they made him vomit. There was nothing which would make him vomit. The pills were to be taken in one dose. I never prescribed either calomel or mercury for deceased again. On subsequent visits the throat was much worse, the symptoms being exaggerated. After the 26th July they called in another medical man, and I was instructed not to visit the patient again. I never went to deceased's house in August. Dr. Dickie is the Lodge doctor. Cross-examined by Dr. Kaufmann—I was not surprised to see the svmptoms worse when I found that the medicine had not been taken. I could not be sure that the pills were not taken by deceased. I never saw the glary state of the fauces in a case of consumption. The deceased only spoke of soreness in his throat. A person being poisoned by mercury would have pain in the bowels. In consumption there is very seldom any pain in the bowels. The presence of tubercules in the bowels is a sign of consumption as a rule, but it would not neces-sarily show consumption. John Dickie, medical practitioner, Moonta -Knew deceased and prisoner. Attended de-ceased on July 27 as surgeon to the Lodge of Oddfellows to which he belonged. The symp-toms were those of fever. He had a bad taste in his mouth, and complained of great weak-ness. He vomited everything he took. I did not prescribe any mercury, but gave half-a-dozen of rhubarb pills and a small packet of cream of tartar, which was to be given if the pills did not act. I did not see deceased again till 11th of August, when Dr. Herbert was attending him. The symptoms might have been produced by the exhibition of mercury. On August 11 he was in bed, and he said he had been salivated. The mouth had been ulcerated. Salivation by mercury would produce that ulceration. I saw him again two days afterwards. He complained of a pain in his bowels, and of a difficulty in making water, and wished me to prescribe for him. I ordered him to take sweet spirits of nitre. I then attended him until his death. He was better rather on the 13th ; the salivation appeared to have gone off completely, but there were still sores in the mouth. My next visit was on the 15th, when he was vomiting and purging. I visited him every second or third day until his death. I made a post-mortem examination, and I came to the conclusion that he died from the absorption of mercury in the system. Dr Herbert assisted me in the post-mortem examina-tion. Dr. John Gosse was also present. The result of the post-mortem examination was as follows:—Body medium size, emaciated to the last degree. No post-mortem lividity, no bad sores, a few purple spots, which indicated impurty of blood. The frequent introduction of small doses of mercury would produce the poverty of blood. Exposed the chest and abdomen in the usual way. The internal organs were in their natural positions. There was inflamma-tion of the peritonitis. The large bowel pre-sented a livid appearance,as did also the duode-num. The stomach was of average size, and appeared externally in a natural state. It contained a small quantity of fluid, which was retained in the lower part of the stomach, which I kept for analysis. The internal surface of the stomach was covered with congested blood, but there was no ulceration. The opening at the lower end of the stomach was in a normal state ; the duodenum was congested but not ulcerated, The small bowels were congested ; the conges-tion increased as the small bowels approached the large ones. The internal surface of small bowels was examined, various patches of glands were seen, some quite healthy, and one was puckered and healed, and some were apparently ulcerated. The large intestine was found intensely congested, of a bluish-red appear-ance, and was considerably thickened towards the lower outlet. The internal surface was considerably ulcerated. The mesenteron glands were soft and pulpy. The bladder was strictured and very much contracted, and contained less than a tablespoonful of urine. The kidneys were of average size, and were considerably congested especially the left one, which was degenerated. The liver appeared healthy, and of normal size. The lower surface was of intensely livid appearance. The gall bladder contained an average quantity of dark bile. The right lung was healthy, but adhering closely to the walls of the chest. The jawbone was in a curious state, which might result from the exhibition of mercury. Tied up the stomach, and secured a portion of the bowel, the left kidney, and part of the liver, and handed them to Sergeant Bentley. Dr. Herbert was present then. Placed them in a jar, and they were sealed up. By Dr Kaufmann—The jar was obtained in the house. Someone present brought the the jar. Examined the jar, and washed it out with water. Put the viscera in and covered it over with cloth. The fact of tuber-culous matter being noticed in the lung would not lead me to believe deceased was suffering from consumption. Knew deceased was not suffering from consumption. The water on the Peninsula is in places minerally impregnated. There had been cases of typhoid fever in the district. The ulceration of the large bowel here was not caused by typhoid fever. Had never heard of typhoid fever causing ulceration of the large bowel. Had never heard of cases where in years after mercury had been taken it was still found in the system. Should think it would become eli-minated in two years or less. A small quan-tity of mercury would have considerable effect on a man who had previously been in the habit of taking it. Recurrent salivation was possible. Salivation might take place with-out ulceration. Ulceration might be notic-able where a man had previously been in the habit of taking mercury. If a man had granulation of the kidneys, he would be more easily affected by mercury. A man with a small heart, tuberculous lungs, and kidneys diseased might die rapidly not necessarily from these causes. He might die at any moment. We were all liable to died at any moment. A man with these diseases would be liable to die of one of them. He did not die of any of them. Attended him three or four weeks. I had not attended him pre-viously. By the Crown Solicitor—Seldom saw the medicine in the house. On the 13th August after he had got over the salivation, the pri-soner spoke of having put the medicine to her lips and its hurting her teeth. This man did not die of typhoid fever. A red appear-ance in the throat indicated a large quantity of mercury. The man might died before there was absorption throughout the system. That would be in the case of a large dose. Lloyd Herbert, medical practitioner, Moonta, said—For years I have been the medical atten-dent of the deceased. On August 1 received a note from deceased, but was unable to attend him. Saw him on the 2nd. He was suffering from salivation by mercury. The tongue was swollen and saliva was running from the mouth. Asked him "How came you in this condition? Who has been giving you mercury like this? You have received for your constitution a poisonous quantity of mercury." The prisoner was in the room. I think she said nothing had been taken beyond what the doctors had given her. She said Drs Dickie and Bull had seen him. I think she said Dr Dickie was there the previous day. Believe she said that whatever was produced was by what Dr Bull had given him. Said I did not want to hear what other doctors had given him. He was suffering from various pains and had symptoms consistent with the application of mercury. Attended him during 13 days. Treated him for mercury giving him gargles, and so on. He improved under my treatment. On the 14th, while talk-ing with the deceased, the prisoner, who was present, siaid Doctor Dickie asked what I said was the matter with Woolcock, and that they told him that I had said he was salivated with mercury, and that the doctor's answer was that Woolcock was not suffering from salivation ; that if it was salivation at all, it was sponta-neous salivation, and not from the application of mercury, and that he was suffering from gastric fever. Deceased said as he was not a rich man, he would dispense with my services, that he was thankful for what I had done, and that as he was not a rich man he would go to Dr. Dickie, who was Lodge doctor and that if he became worse he would send for me. I said, "That will be useless, Wool-cock. If I once leave your house I shall not enter it again." Prisoner said nothing. Ceased to attend the deceased from that day. He was very weak then, the tongue was much better. The appearance of salivation, with the exception of the appearance of ulceration in the left cheek, was gone. Assisted Dr. Dickie in making a post mortem examination. From the appearances then thought the man died from mercury—slow poisoning, small doses frequently repeated. The witness then gave a detailed account of the appearance presented by the organs of the body when the post mortem examination was made, substantially agreeing with the account given by Dr. Dickie. The heart was smaII, two-thirds of the natural size, and empty. Its appearance was probably caused by exhaustion, which doubtless would be the result of small but repeated doses of mer-cury. The appearances of the bladder were also consistent with mercury poisoning. Remembered that the body was exhumed. Before the conclusion of the post mortem examination we put aside stomach, part of liver, one kidney, and portion of large gut. When the body was exhumed took from it whole of the remaining portion of the liver, the other kidney, the bladder, and a portion of the lower gut. Put into the glass bottle No 1 all the liver it would contain. It was a glass bottle, with a glass stopper. Tied it down with a piece of bladder and sheepskin, and sealed it with a seal bearing a masonic device. No. 2 bottle contained the other parts which were taken. By Dr. Kaufmann —Knew deceased four or four and a half years previous to his death. He was not a strong man. Had prescibed for him before; three or four times previously. Should consider his system one susceptible to mercury. One reason was because his kidney was affected —granulated kidney. Should not think two-thirds of a grain of mercury would produce sal-ivation here, although his kidney was diseased. The man was not seriously diseased. He might have lived a year or two or longer. The deceas-ed was very much emaciated, caused, I believe by the constant irritation resulting on the ap-plication of mercury. White precipitate was not a very powerful form of mercury. It was used for ringworm, he had heard, and also for scurf in the head. A small dose of mercury would not have had the same effect on deceased as a larger dose on a stronger person. He had the premonitory symptoms of consumption. He certainly did not die of consumption. Bad water might cause typhoid fever. Never saw a case of spontaneous salivation, and never saw a man who ever witnessed such a case. But if it arose it would not cause ulceration of the mouth, as in this case. If the ulceration were produced by typhoid fever, it would have been noticeable in the small as well as in the large boweIs. Edward Bentley, Sergeant Police, Moonta, said I knew the deceased. Remember seeing the deceased and his wife on the 19th of July. He came to me and complained of his dog having been poisoned. The prisoner was then in the road. After the inquest she asked me if I remembered her being present when the husband complained of the dog being poisoned. Deceased said his dog had been poisoned ; that he would have been down the day before but he had been bad ; that any one who would poison his dog would poison him ; that he would like me to make enquiries ; and if a man named Pascoe lived at Yelta. His wife said, "I'm going," and went away. Asked deceased who that was, and he said, "My wife ; don't take any notice of her." Was present at the post-mortem examinations. Received the jar from Dr dickey, and kept it in my charge until the inquest was over. Took it to Mr Birks's druggist shop. It was fastened down with skin, and sealed with Mr Birks's seal and handed over to Constable Farrell. Was present at the exhumation of the body ; and saw part of the viscera taken out, and put in two bottles which were sealed, and handed over by me to Mr Allan. The man died on September 4. On the 5th searched the house. Found the bottle produced, marked "Chloride Zinc, Not to be taken." On the Monday morn-ing found several bottles. The house in the mean-time had been left in charge of a man named John Nichols and his wife. Found the parcel of oxalic acid produced, and took several bottles. Received the bottle marked B, con-taining precipitate, from Mrs [?]ne I. The bottle produced (containing antimonial wine) was subsequently taken from the mantelpiece, and handed to me. Sealed them up in a box, and gave them to Constable Farrell for delivery to Mr Allan. Arrested prisoner after her commital. She said, in refe-rence to the boy's statement that he had bought precipitate powder for Mrs. Edwards at the Cross Roads, the wife of a man who was a mate of Woolcock's. Don't know any Mrs Edwards of the Cross Roads. Know Mrs Edwards, the wife of deceased's mate. She said there was something she had not said at the inquest that she said to her husband shortly before he died—"If you die the people will talk about me," and that he replied, "Never mind what they say." On September 5 found the piece of paper produced in a mall box. It was with some papers, valentines, and a photo-graph likeness of a man named Pascoe, who was one of the witnesses. Believed the writing on this paper produced is that of the prisoner. Asked the neighbors where the dog was which had been poisoned, and the prisoner said, "I've buried it," and pointed to the place, saying she would show me the spot. Said " never mind it doesn't matter." On October 2 dug up the dog, took out the entrails and put them in a bottle. Robert Northey was there and recog-nised the dog as that of Woolcock. Sealed up the bottle and handed them to P.C. Farrell. A boy named Richard Nicholls assisted the prisoner to bury the dog, and he identified it as that of Woolcock. By Dr. Kaufmann—There was a rumor that the prisoner had poisoned her husband and Mrs. Snell told witness the doctor would not give a certificate for burial unless there was an en-quiry. Believed Mrs. Snell was on friendly terms with the prisoner. The soil over the dog was not disturbed from the time of the inquest until the time it was removed by witness. The seal used was similar to that used by Dr. Herbert. The Court then adjourned till next day, when the case was resumed.


Thos. John Woolcock said—I am the son of Thomas Woolcock, deceased, and prisoner is my step-mother. In May last my mother sent me with a note to Mr Opie chemist, at Moonta. She told me to get some white precipitate powders from the chemist. Got some white powders, and gave them to my mother, the prisoner. Got them in a piece of paper, on which was a label. Got threepenny-worth once. Got precipitate powders twice or three times from Mr Opie's shop by the same directions from my mother. Gave those powders to my mother. Don't know what she did with them. Mr Opie gave me a note to take back to my mother. That was when I asked for some morphine. Gave that note to my mother. Got precipitate powders after that note was given me. Got the first precipitate powder about a month before he died. Remembered Mr Rooke the chemist. He is in Birk's shop. Got sixpenny-worth of precipitate powders from him. Prisoner sent me for those. Cannot say when that was Father was at home bad at that time. Got powders twice or three times from Mr. Rooke. On each occasion mother sent me. She did not give me a note on either occasion. Know Mr. Beythien the chemist at Moonta. Got some precipitate powder from him. Father was at home bad then. Got 3d. worth then. Mother had red ink in the house. She gave me a note in red ink to take to Mr Opie. Took it to him. He read it and asked me what was my mother's name. Told him it was Mary Edwards. Mother told me to say this was her name. Know Richard Hartigan. Mr father worked with him. Remembered the day my father was taken ill. He was working with Hartigan that day. Took him his dinner. Mother before I took the dinner sent me down to the township for some white precipitate powders. Got three-pence worth, and gave them to mother. This was in the morning. Mother was in the kitchen when I gave them to her. Did not know what she did with them. Went out to play, and shortly after she called me in and told me it was time to go with the dinner. She gave me a can containing hot tea, and some pasty done up in a towel. Took them to father. Hartigan was at work then. Father was at Richman's crusher bagging ore. Left the dinner with him and went to school. Remembered my father coming home that afternoon. Mother was at home. Father laid on the sofa, and said to mother he was bad in the stomach. He told mother to get him something to eat. While on the sofa he was sick. After he was sick mother gave him some bread and butter. He was sick for a good while. Father had a brown colored dog which was poisoned. Father was well then. The dog was buried behind the stable by mother. Rem-embered going to the township with father. The dog was dead then. Remembered father speaking to Sergeant Bentley. Mother and I were sitting on the doorstep of a shop not far off. After sitting some time, mother told me to go and tell father to look sharp. She seemed to be cross. Went over, mother staying on the doorstep. Told father mother told me to tell him to look sharp. Went back to mother aid she stayed there longer. Went into the street with mother, and father, after he had done talking to Mr Bentley, came up. Left home at 3 or 4 o'clock in the afternoon, and got home between 7 and 8 o'clock. Mother seemed to be very cross all the way home. Re-membered Thomas Pascoe lodging at our house. By His Honor—Am 11 years old. Have no brothers or sisters. Father and mother lived on bad terms at times. By the Jury—Mother was always kind to me. She never used any of that powder on my head. By His Honor—Never heard Pascoe and my father disagree. By Dr. Kaufmann—Sometimes mother would speak angrily to my father, and some-times he would speak angrily to her. Went to Mr Opie's twice or three times. It takes me an hour to walk from Richman's crusher to school. Father, when he came home from work, frequently went and laid on the sofa and complained of being tired. Only went in to see father once when he was ill. By the Crown Solicitor—Went in to see father once. That was because father asked to see me. Mother never asked me to go in to see father. Remembered being sent for Dr. Bull. The day after that me father was taken ill. John Opie, Moonta, chemist and druggist, said—I know the boy Woolcock. Saw him at my shop on May 19. He brought me a small slip of paper. That is destroyed.

There was some writing on the paper, signed Elizabeth Woolcock, requesting me to send by the bearer 1s. worth of muriate of mor-phine and 6d. worth of cherry laurel water, stating that they were for medical purposes. Understood her to mean muriate of morphia. Sent her five grains. That was 1s. worth. Labelled it "muriate of morphia." It was a powder in a bottle, and I labelled the bottle poison. The powder was nearly white. Did not send any cherry laurel water, which is a poison. A few days afterwards the boy again came to the shop, brought the same bottle, and asked for some more of the medicine. Did not let him have any more muri-ate of morphia. Wrote a memorandum telling Mrs. Woolcock if she wanted any more she must come herself and bring a witness, as it was a poison. Gave that memo. to the boy. Some week or so after-wards, Mrs. Woolcock came to the shop alone, and asked me why I had not sent that for which she sent the boy. On June 25 saw her, a Mrs. Hannah Blight being with her. Prisoner said. "I've got a witness down," and she asked for three or four shillings' worth of morphia. Asked her what she wanted it for. She said it was to remove stains or ironmoulds from linen. I tried to persuade her to take salts of lemon, which would remove ironmoulds. She said, "No, I want that," referring to the morphia. Said to Mrs. Blight she would be responsible if anything happened. Mrs. Blight then refused to be a witness, and I said I would not let it go. Mrs. Woolcock said, "I want it for chemical purposes." She seemed embarrassed and slightly piqued. She did not get the drug. Between June 19 and 25 I received a note by a boy, written in red ink, signed Mary Edwards, which was ! destroyed. It asked me to send by the boy 3d. worth of laudanum. Sent it by the boy with a note. Said to the boy, "Aren't you Mrs. Woolcock's little boy?" He said "No; my name is Edwards, and my mother lives at the Cross Roads." White precipitate powders were sold over the counter without a witness in one and two drachm packets. They were used for ringworms and for heal-ing children's sore heads. By Dr. Kaufmann—Don't remember hav-ing sold these powders to the boy—only morphia. It was more than probable that muriate would remove ironmould. Never sold the morphia before in my five years' experience. There is more than one Mrs. Edwards. Hannah Blight, widow, Moonta Mines, gave evidence of having gone with prisoner to Mr. Opie's, as described by last witness. Clara Edwards, wife of Francis Edwards, East Moonta—Never authorised the prisoner to write in my name for drugs or anything of that kind. Never sent the little boy Woolcock to Mr. Opie for anything. By Dr. Kaufmann—Have lived about a mile and a half from the Cross Roads about four years. Dr. Dickie, recalled, said, in reply to His Honor—Laudanum would facilitate rather than otherwise the action of mercury. By the Crown Solicitor—It would prevent to a certain extent the irritating pain. Ernest Beythien, chemist, Moonta, said— Recollect about the commencement of Au-gust serving a boy—I don't know if it was Thomas John Woolcock—with 1s. worth of precipitate powder, labelled "White preci-pitate—poison." Wm. Hartley, assistant to Mr. Beythien, said—I remember Thomas John Woolcock being served with 1s. worth of precipitate powder about three weeks before the death of the deceased. Saw prisoner in the shop. There was no one with her. She asked for 6d. worth of prussic acid. Asked her what she wanted it for. She said something about cleaning purposes. I sold her about an oz. of oxalic acid. Told her prussic acid was a deadly poison. Did not sell her any. Six or seven weeks before the death of the de-ceased, received a letter, signed Elizabeth Woolcock. It was in the same writing as the signature in Mr. Opie's poison-book pro-duced. [Mr. Opie here proved that the sig-nature in the poison-book produced was that of prisoner.] The letter was signed Eliza-beth Woolcock, in care of Pascoe, Moonta, and it asked for 20 grains of morphia for medical purposes. Destroyed the letter. Consulted with Mr. Beythien. Did not send the stuff. By Dr. Kaufmann—Often got such letters. Never thought anything of receiving such a letter. She seemed satisfied that the oxalic acid would answer the same purpose, and she took it away. Charles Rook, manager for Messrs. Birks, chemist, said—I sold the boy in Court (Thomas John Woolcock) 6d. worth of pre-cipitate powders, to be used as a pomatum. Sold it in consequence of receiving a note in pencil from him, signed Mary Edwards. Destroyed the note. Said nothing to the boy about it. Knew the boy by his hat, but not by his name then. This was about three weeks before the death of deceased. Richard Hartigan, laborer, Moonta Mines, said—I knew the deceased. He was work-ing with me at the Moonta Mines. He was bagging copper ore. The last day he worked with me was on July 24. On the 23rd his boy brought him his dinner. Left him with his dinner. On my returning he went to work again. Deceased appeared to be ill. On leaving me he went straight home. Saw him on July 24, when he worked the whole day. The deceased appeared to be ill that day. Had to get another man in his place the next day, as the deceased did not come. By Dr. Kaufman—Deceased was a strong man. When I saw the prisoner and de-ceased together they always appeared to be on good terms. Mary Slape, wife of Robert Slape, gar-dener, Second Creek, said—The prisoner is a step-sister of mine. Received the letter produced shortly after the date mentioned in it—in April or May. The letter was read — "Yelta, April 10, 1873. "Dear Sister and brother— "I now take the pleasure of writing these few lines hoping they will find you in good health, and also to let you know that I am going to leave here, and I cannot stop here any longer. I have put up with it as long as I can, but Tom has got so bad that I can't bear it any longer. He has been dreadful since I have been out here living. He won't let me go nowhere, and he has made a dreadful row every day for this week, and to-night he called me everything that was bad. He said that I was like my d— old mother, and she was a b—— old w— and he don't care a d— for any of my family ; and he is always telling what he have done for Robert, and he cursed and swore more than enough because Robert did not Iet Skinner have the potatoes for what he wanted, and he is always running us down. We was not brought up like anybody else, but he was dragged up. In fact I could not tell all he says, but if any one is in the house he is like raw milk. You would not think that he could say anything wrong. But he is a perfect devil, and if I stop here much longer I shall hang myself. I have been tempted to do it two or three times, so I wish you to Iook out for a place in service for me. I can get one here, but I would not stop here. Give my love to Robert and children, and receive the same yourself from your loving sister,

"Elizabeth Woolcock."

Answered that letter. Then received the letter produced, dated August 18, as follows : "North Yelta, August 18, 1873. Dear Sister—I now take the opportunity

of writing these few lines to let you know how we are getting on. I should have wrote to you before, but I have been expecting to hear from you dear sister. Tom is very ill. He has been very ill this four weeks, and we do (not) know whether he will ever get well again or not. He has not eaten any-thing since he has been bad. All that has kept him alive is drink. Myself and the boy is very well, dear sister. The doctor has ordered Tom to take a plenty of wine, and we have got to pay 6s a bottle for it, and the doctor told us we could get it in Ade-laide for 1s a bottle, and he gave us the direction of the man where we could get it ; so we have sent it to you, and we want you to go and get a dozen bottles, and pack them in a case and direct it to "E Magor, Moonta," and take it to the Port. I have sent you the address of Magor's shipping agent. You can leave it with him, and we shaII get it all right. Tom sends his love to all. Give my love to Robert and children, and receive the same yourself from your loving sister, "Elizabeth Woolcock" David Buzza, grocer, at Moonta had known the prisoner eight years and a half. In May last, I called at her house in following my business as a grocer. Asked her how she had got on since her marriage. She said she did not live happily with her husband. Said, "You were in a great hurry to get married." She said, cried

"Yes, in greater hurry than I should be had to do so again. I only married Woolcock to spite those who were opposed to it," i.e. the marriage. Said I thought that was not a suffi cient incentive for marrying. She said, "My husband thought to treat me just as he pleased, but if ever he treats me badly again it will be the last time." She said the last words em-phatically, as if she meant them. James [?]errsfield, Moonta Mines, Miner, said —Had seen the prisoner and Pascoe larking to-gether—catching hold of each other. Pascoe went to lodge with deceased and prisoner. Did not see anything wrong then. Had seen them larking several times. Charles Richards, Moonta, Miner, said—I remember Pascoe lodging with deceased. She said also that deceased had objected to Pascoe lodging there, and had threatened to turn him out. She said if he goes I shan't be long after him. I shan't be as big a fool as I was the last time: and I shall take all the money I can get along with me. By Dr. Kaufmann—This conversation oc-curred about seven months ago. By a Juror—Prisoner once left her husband. That was what she referred to.

Jane Nichols, wife of John Nichols miner, said—Prisoner told me her hushand was very unkind to her and that they did not agree very well together. She told me before her husband became finally ill that she had received a slap in the face from her husband for writing for Thomas Pascoe. That was after the husband's three days' illness, and before his final illness. Visited deceased during his illness. Saw him a month before he died. His mouth was as black as possible. Prisoner came into the room. Said, "Mr. Woolcock, you are a man not long for this world." He said, "I believe I am not." I said, "You have been taking something that ypu ought not to have taken. He said, "Do you think so?" Prisoner said, "Yes, Dr. Bull's medicine nearly killed him." I said if Dr. Bull had been giving my husband any-thing he should not have given him I would have the medicine analysed. She said, "It's too late now, Dr. Bull has gone to Adelaide to the Lunatic Asylum, and taken the medi-cine with him." Said to Mrs. Woolcock in the back kitchen, if Woolcock were my husband I would have him opened before he was carried out of the house. She said Dr. Dickie had said he was suffering from gastric fever, and that his stomach and chest were ulcerated like his mouth and his tongue. This last conversation occurred about a month before he died. I was at the house on the day of the death of deceased. Said, "Mr. Woolcock is gone now, but he was not fairly treated." Prisoner said, "It's too late now." Pascoe went to lodge at the house of deceased before last Christmas. She complained in Feb-ruary last that her husband had been ill-treating her, and she said there was a difference between her husband and Tom Pascoe. I said, "Yes, he is a quiet young fellow, and has been so in all his rearing and if I were him I would have a home of my own." She said she could be-come his future bride. By Dr Kaufmann—I have heard her several times complain of her husband's ill-treatment. Sarah Jane Nicholls, daughter of John Nicholls, said—I went to sit up with deceased, to enable prisoner to go to bed. Prisoner occu-pied the same bed with deceased on that occas-ion. She tole me to give deceased a teaspoonful of antimonial wine in a nobbler of port wine, with some water and sugar but not to make it too sweet. Took the teaspoonful of stuff out of the bottle marked "antimonial wine." The bottle produced was that having the crystaIs in it. I took the draught to deceased. Prisoner was with him then awake in bed. He drank the draught. Remembered going to Mr Birks's shop, and prisoner asked for 20 grains morphia, but the young man in the shop said he could not let her have it, as it was enough to poison a hundred people. Prisoner on one Saturday asked me to bring home threepenny worth of white precipitate powder for her. She gave me the money but I did not like to go for the powders, and I gave the little boy—Thomas John Wool-cock— the money his mother gave me, and asked him to tell her that I had forgotton to get the powders. Robert Northey, miner, Moonta, said— I knew deceased. Visited him frequently within a fortnight during his last illness. On September 1, between 8 and 9 o'clock in the evening remember prisoner giving deceased some medi-cine. It was a liquid, and was given in a teaspoon. Was called up about 3 o'clock next morning. Heard deceased screaming as I approached his house. On going inside deceased asked me for something to drink. Gave him in a spoon a little of what he sup-posed to be water out of a cup. Deceased said it was very bitter, and I called prisoner and asked her what it was. She replied that it was clean water. Prisoner carried the cup away but I do not know what she did with it. Dr Dickie, recalled, examined by His Honor said—The taste of precipitate powder disolved would be bitter. Ann Northey, wife of the witness Northey, said —I knew the deceased and the prisoner. Visited deceased's house three times a week to see how he was. On September 1 prisoner took a powder from off the mantlepiece, mixed it with water and gave deceased it. It was a white powder. He immediately went to sleep. About midnight deceased woke up, screaming and call-ing out, "Come to me—oh will no one come to me." Asked him what was the matter. He didn't say but kept on screaming. He said, "Call Robert Northey," and I called my hus-band. When they were laying out deceased Mrs Nichols said if she was in Mrs. Woolcock's place she would have the deceased opened. Mrs. Woolcock said, "It is too late to talk about that now." EIizabeth Snell, wife of John Snell of Moonta, miner, said—I am a first cousin of the deceased. Remember deceased calling at my house on the 24th or 25th of July. He said he felt sick, and could keep nothing on his stomach. Offered him some brandy but he was not able to drink it. On September 2 saw him. He was very low, and they expected that he would die. Found the bottle produced on the 13th September. [The bottle was the one which contained the precipitate.] It was in the deceased's bed-room, under the barrel. The bottle had a white sediment in it, and there was something like water in the bottle. The Court rose at 5 o'clock. The case will be resumed to-day.