... Petersville Home Page ...
Hans Petersen was born in Denmark and came to Queensland in 1876, aged 23. In the late 1870s he and two brothers took up land on Yorke Peninsula and called it 'Petersville'
District Council of Yorke Peninsula - Petersville
The area perpetuates the name of Hans Petersen, the first settler of this area. There is a cairn erected here which commemorated the centenary of the Hundred of Cunningham and is a tribute to early pioneers.
PETERSVILLE, April 23.
We have had nearly a month of dry weather since the rain, and some of the early sown wheat is suffering thereby. A few nice showers would be very welcome both for wheat and grass. The farmers are busy sowing around here, and there is a large quantity of ground in crop wailing for the next rain, since l wrote last the minister appointed to take charge of the Cunningham Circuit has arrived and commenced his clerical duties. The circuit is a new one, ard as Mr. Bainger is the first minister appointed we wish him every success. The contrator is finishing our new piece of road, and I am sure those who use it will be pleased when it is completed, as the road on either side of the new piece of metal is dreadfully rough.
PETERSVILLE, May 10.
The weather during the past few weeks haa been very favourable for farming operations, as we hare beat favoured with nice rains, followed by warm fine days and then rain again. Early last Friday morning we had the heaviest fall of rain experienced here for a very long time It lasted from two to three hours, and in that time dams and tanks were filled to overflowing, and everything had a complete soaking. All the early sown wheat is up and looking well. Some of the farmers will finish seeding shortly. It is very seldom that late sown wheat is successful here.
Another contract to lay about a mile of metal on our main teed has just been commenced. When that is finished we will have a splendid road to the port for wheat carting, Ac., and not before it Is required, for the road in some parts from not being properly grabbed in the first place is very rough; indeed it is a mystery to all who use It how that it was passed by the Government
PETERSVILLE , August 10.
The wheat crops during the past week or so have i been growing rapidly. There have been a few heavy frosts lately, but I have not heard that they have injured the young plants. Farmers are busy rolling down scrub, and clearing for another season. One cannot help noting the difference of the appearance of the place as year after year the scrub is being cleared, and paddocks of beautiful green wheal growing where two or three years ago there was nothing but a forest of dense mallee scrnb.
A start has been made at our Chapel, and we hope ere long we will have a place of worship and a day-school. Another much-felt want in the neighbourhood is a post-office, some having to go nine and ten miles for their letters and papers.
We have two contractors on oar main road at present, with one man each. Surely it is not hard times with some labouring men when they leave 7s. fid. per day to go on the wallaby; at least It cannot be here.
PETERSEN—PRIDHAM. On the 12th Septemter, at Petersville, near Ardrossan, by tbe Rev. Mr. Bainger. Franz B. Petersen, sixth son of Jens Petersen, Schleswig, Germany, to Alice Frances, fifth daughter of Jasper Pridham, Crystal Brook.
PETERSVILLE. November 24. The weather during the past few days has been very close and srltry. We have had a great deal of thunder and lightning, but very little rain. There are complaints of red rust being very had in some of the cropa. It is to be hoped that it will not affect the grain crops, which are looking splendid.
The Petersville Church, Cunningham Circuit, was opened for divine service on Sunday, Nov. 18, when the Rev. W. A, Langsford, of Maitland, preached very impressive sermons. The tea was well attended, and the public meeting which followed, presided over by Mr. Adams, very enthusiastic. The actual cost was reported at £140, but including labor given represented a value of £200. The building is a substantial stone structure, thirty feet by twenty feet, aud it is intended in a few months spending over £40 in finishing it off comfortably. Numerous promises of wheat have been given when harvest arrives, which, when converted into money, it is expected will about liquidate the debt.
PETERSVILLE, January 28. 1884
Some farmers have finished reaping, but several have not. Those who have should consider themselves fortunate, for the weather during the past week has been very severe on the standing crops, being cold, windy, and wet, and more like the middle of winter than summer. Considerable damage has been done to the crops by the unfavourable weather we have had this harvest. Great complaints are expressed at the low price of wheat.
PETERSVILLE, December 31. 1884 We have had very unfavourable weather for harvesting, hut the past week has been better, and farmers are pushing on with the reaping as quickly as possible. Generally speaking the crops are turning out well, some going as high as twenty bushels. We are to have a school after the holidays, which will he a great boon.
The Petersville Friday 6 June 1884 Sunday-school anniversary was held on the 18th and 19th ult. The Rev. J. P. Chapman preached two sermons and addressed the children in the afternoon. The tea on the Monday was well attended. The public meeting was presided over by Mr. Harnier. The resident minister and other friends addressed the meeting. Proceeds over £7.
Sat 24 Jan 1885 1. Petersville, Hundred Cunningham, near Ardrossan; a radius of 6 miles round bere. 2. About 5,000 acres; 1,000. 3. 10 bushels. 4. 100 acres, 1 ton to the acre. S. Very much; slightly by red rust and severe storms ; about 3 bushels on the average. 6. Below; none. 7. All mullenized and put in every way.
Wed 6 Jan 1886 1. Petersville, Hundred Cunningham; 6 miles Equare ; below. 2. About 5,000 acres ; about 4,600 acres cut for hay. 3. 5 bushels ; I have seen one piece of 120 acres which averaged 9 bushels, and many small pieces 8 and 10 per acre. 4. About 400 acres ; half ton to the acre average. 5. Yes ; dry weather and red rust ; about 3 bushels to the acre. 6. A small - grained wheat called Dutoits and the old red straw ; the early sown on well burnt land have been the best there this year; the whole of this land is mullenized land.
CLEARING-OUT SALE. MONDAY, FEBRUARY 1, 1886 At one o'clock. On the Farm, near Petersville, on the main road from Arthurton to Ardrossan. FARM 573 ACRES FARM STOCK, IMPLEMENTS, &e. ARTHUR SHORT, has received instructions from Mr, G. WINTER, who is giving up farming, to sell as above, without the slightest reserve Credit Selection being Section No. 134, Hundred of Cunningham, containing 573 ACRES of good land, fenced and improved with Dwelling, Stables, Sheds, etc. LIVE AND DEAD STOCK. 6 Farm Mares and Geldings 20 Pigs, Fowls Wagon Spring Cart and Harness Tip Dray 2 Reapers Winnower Horserake Triple Stump Plough 3 400-gallon Tanks 20 Bags Screenings Stack of Hay about 4 tons 6 Sets Harness And a host of Farm Sundries HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE & EFFECTS TERMS AT SALE. NO RESERVE.
LODGE—VANDEPEER.-On the 23rd April, at the Petersville Wesleyan Church, by the Rev. W. A. Millikan, Henry George, second son of Elijah Lodge, Play Gully, Ardrossan, to Florence Eva (Eva), youngest daughter of William Vandepeer, of Petersville. Kent and Canterbury papers please copy.
WATSON —PETERSEN.—On the 16th January, 1902, at the Parsonage of the Rev. W. T. Shapley, Port Adelaide, Fredrick Melville Watson to Sina Mary Petersen, eldest daughter of Hans Petersen, of Ardrossan.
An Old Colonist.
The death is announced of Mr. William Vandepeer, who passed away at his residence, Petersville, Yorke's Peninsula. Last Wednesday he celebrated his golden wedding. Three days later he died of heart disease. For the last 20 years he had been devoted to farming on Yorke's Peninsula. For a number of years he was a member of Flinders Street Baptist Church, and was highly musical and be-loved by all for his genial disposition. For about 30 years he was employed by The Register proprietors. There were 11 children (seven of whom survive), 27 grand-children, and one great-grandchild. The surviving daughters are Mrs. T. H. Jones, of Adelaide, Mrs. Johnson James, Boulder City, W.A., Mrs. J. Campbell MacLachlan, York, W.A., and Mrs. George Lodge, Ardrossan; and the sons—Messrs. William, Fred, and Harry Vandepeer, farmers, Ardrossan. Miss Elsie Jones, who is at present studying in London, is a grandchild.
DINHAM-PETERSEN. - On the 1st, March, 1906, at the Petersville Methodist Church, by the Rev. S. Raymond, Rupert Ernest, eldest son of Charles Dinham, of Ardrossan, to Anna Christina, youngest daughter of Hans Petersen, of Petersville.
OBITUARY—jul 1909 On Monday last one of the oldest residents of this district passed away in the person of Mr James Burnett. The funeral, which took place on Tuesday afternoon, was well attended.
THE HUNT CLUB AT PETERSVILLE
MEMBERS OF THE CLUB.
Mr. John Harmer is the Secretary, and the old gentleman in the centre is Mr. Walters, the captain.
LADY SPECTATORS OF A RECENT HUNT. photo
THE HUNTSMEN READY TO START. photo
WIND DESTROYS HALL.
ARDROSSAN, December 1. The heat to-day has been intense, and to add to the discomfort of residents of the town a severe duststorm was experienced early this morning. The wind blew with hurricane force, and moveable property was scattered in all directions. The full force of the storm was felt at Petersville, seven miles north-west of Ardrossan, where for half an hour the wind raged with cyclonic fury. Much damage was done to crops and property. The new public hall which Petersville residents are erecting, suffered most. The walls had just been completed, and the building was ready to be roofed, but it is now only a heap of ruins, the walls having been, completely wrecked by the force of the gale. Haystacks and sheds were unroofed before the force of the wind abated. The weather is stall very sultry. It is hoped that more settled conditions will soon prevail, as the crops are ripening fast, and in their present condition are much damaged by these sudden storms.
OPENING OF NEW HALL AT PETERSVILLE
The Petersville Hall was formally opened on Thursday, when visitors were present from all parts of the district. The hall has been built to supply a long-felt want in the district. The necessary land was donated by Mr H. N. Pritcher, and settlers and friends generously responded to the call for funds. The committee invited the Hon D J Gordon, M.L.C., to perform the opening ceremony, because of his long association with the district, his parents paving been among the first settlers. On behalf of the committee, Mr Hans Petersen presented Mr Gordon with a miniature gold key as a memento of the occasion. After the secretary (Air F. M. Watson) had read his report, Air Gordon declared the hall open, and in the course of his address sympathetically touched upon the struggles of the early settlers, and expressed the hope that the hall would be the scene of many enjoyable social engagements. A successful bazaar was conducted during the afternoon and evening, and the debt on the building was by this means appreciably reduced. At the special request of the committee Mr Gord on gave an address before a crowded attendance in the evenina After reviewing the splendid colonising achievements of the pioneers and their descendants, he referred to the drift of population to Australian cities and the need of emphasising the importance of rural expansion. By the solution of problems associated with the locking of the rivers and the development by railways and water conservation of the Northern Territory, Australia would be able to multiply production and carry a larger population. The address was much appreciated. The settlers are the trustees of he new hall :—Messrs H. Petersen . W. Pitcher, J. N. A. Smith, E F. T. Vandepeer, H. Vandeeer, and F. M. Watson.
A CHURCH BURNT DOWN.
ARDR0SSAN, June 20.—A fire occurred at Petereville about seven miles from Ardrossan, on Wednesday night, by which the Methodist Church, which was also used as a school, was completely destroyed. Nothing but the walls was left. Mr. H. Bourne, who had been to Ardrossan, and was returning to his home, noticed the fire. The church was opened on November 18, 1883, and cost about £300 to build. The furniture, including an organ, was all destroyed. Miss Sumsion, the school teacher, also lost about £10 worth of books, besides property which belonged to the Education Department. The matter was reported to Mr. Alfred J. Jarrett (Coroner), who deemed an inquest to be unnecessary.
A CHURCH BURNT.
On June 18 a fire occurred at Petersville which destroyed the Methodist Church. The building was used as a public school during the week, and some pounds worth of books and desks were destroyed. The cause of the fire is not known. The building was of stone and had been used for many years. A new organ and cupboard were also burnt. The teacher left the building at 5 p.m., and all was safe. At 11.30 p.m. the fire was discovered, too late to be extinguished, as there is no fire brigade.
A CHURCH BURNT DOWN.
ARDR0SSAN, June 20.—A fire occurred at PetereviDe about seven miles from Ardroesan, on Wednesday night,- by which the Methodist Church, which was also used as a school, was completely destroyed. Nothing but the walls was left. Mr. H. Bourne, who had been to Ardrossan, and was returning to his home, noticed the fire. The church was opened on November 18, 1883, and cost about £300 to build. The furniture, including an organ, was all destroyed. Miss Sumsion, the school teacher, also lost about £10 worth of books, besides property which belonged to the Education Department. The matter was reported to Mr. Alfred J. Jarrett (Coroner), who deemed an inquest to be unnecessary.
CAUGHT IN A CHAFFCUTTER.
Mr. James Harmer of Petersville, on May 18 was cutting chaff with the help of his little boy, when his arm was dragged into the machinery. As the boy was on the stack there was no one to stop the engine for a while. No bones were broken, but the sinews were in-jured. Mrs. Harmer, in releasing her husband, had her hand cut. Much sympathy is felt for Mr. and Mrs. Harmer, as only the previous day they buried their little daughter, who died after a day's illness.
Mr. and Mrs. Wm. E. Adams celebrated the sixtieth anniversary of their wedding at Ardrosson on August 1. About sixty five guests were present, among whom were their six daughters and four sons, and the greater number of their forty-five grandchildren, and six great grandchildren. Numerous telegrams, letters and messages of goodwill and congratulations have reached them. A banquet was provided at which the old couple were congratulated by Rev. A. A. Smith and A. T. Stratege? Reference to their integrity and their record of service to the common good of humanity. Mr. and Mrs. Adams were married at McHargs creek by the Rev. J. Tallock on August 1st, 1861. They subsequently lived at Port Wakefield and Mount Templeton. Forty years ago Mr. Adams took up land at Petersville. Here twenty-four years were spent, and with other settlers on the Peninsula they experienced great hardships, but held on and won through. In 1910 they retired and went to reside on the seaside at Ardrossan. Both are hale and hearty. Mrs. Adams, who is 81, still attends to her house-hold duties, and Mr. Adams, at 84, gets a lot of solid employment out of his motor car, in the management of which he is quite an expert. They are life long Methodists. Mr. Adams has occupied almost every office open to a layman, and has been a local preacher for over fifty years.
DEATH OF A PIONEER.
MR. WILLIAM EDWARD ADAMS.
Mr. William Edward Adams, who died at Ardrossan on Thursday, at the age of 86, was an old colonist. He was born at Edwardstown in 1842, and claimed to be the oldest Australian-born resident in South Australia. Mrs. Adams, who is 84 years of age, was born Meadows South in 1844. At the age of 12 years Mr. Adams did bullock-driving. At that time carters could not be got to cart the piles for the Goolwa wharf, and Mr. Adams, in com-pany with his brother, undertook this carting. He also drove one of the six teams that carted the telegraph poles for the line from Mount Barr to Grecian Bay. Mr. Adams remembered the first railway train running from Adelaide to Port Adelaide, on which he and his brother had a ride. He lived at that time with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John William Adams, at Bull's Creek. Here he also engaged in potato-growing. On one occasion Mr. Adams, with his team of bullocks, was bogged in Victoria-square as he was carrying a load of potatoes for sale in Adelaide. As there were no day schools near, both Mr. and Mrs. Adams received their education by attending a night school, taught by Mr. Adams's father. Mr. Adams was one of the pioneers of the Ardrossan district, having taken up land at Petersville 51 years ago. This he worked for 33 years, until he retired to live at Ardrossan. In 1864 he married Eliza, daughter of Mr. James Stone, of Bull's Creek. Mr. and Mrs. Adams left Mount Templeton for Petersville in 1877, and lived there until they retired 18 years ago. The early years before the use of superphosphate was times of hard struggle, and Mr. Adams used to recall that as low as four bushels to the acre was all that could be reaped, where afterwards 35 bushels were common. Mr. and Mrs. Adams were active workers in the Methodist Church, and the former had been a local preacher for 56 years. The family consisted of four sons and seven daughters, one of whom, Mrs. A. Polkinghorne, died some years ago, the surviving members, in addition to the widow, being:—Mesdames H. E. Polkinghorne and G. A. Stone, of Ardrossan; C. F. Stevens, of Littlehampton; W. H. Adams, of Maitland; W. Wilson, of Moonta; J. Nicoll, of Bull's Creek; and Messrs. Allan Adams, of Loxton; Williams Adams, of Auburn; Frank Adams, of the Hundred of Maitland; and Hurtle Adams, of Moorook.
Mr. W. E. Adams.
Mrs. Adams, who died at Ardrossan on July 29 at the age of 85, was the widow ; of Mr. William Edward Adams. She was a daughter of Mr. James Stone, of Bull's Creek, and was born at Meadows South in 1844. She was married to Mr. Adams in 1864 at McHarg's Creek, and they went to live at Mount Templeton, where they re-mained until 1877. Mr. and Mrs. Adams were among the pioneers of the Ardrossan district, having taken up land at Petersville 52 years ago. There they lived until they moved to Ardrossan 19 years ago. Mrs. Adams was an active worker in the Methodist Church, and was a Sunday-school teacher for many years. She was a member of the Ladies' Guild and the W.C.T.U. Mr. Adams died twelve months ago. The surviving members of the family are Mesdames H. E. Polkinghorne and G. A. Stone, of Ardrossan ; C. F. Stevens, of Little-hampton ; W. H. Adams of Mait-land ; W. Wilson, of Moonta ; J. Nicoll, of Bull's Creek ; Messrs. Allan Adams, of Loxton ; William Adams, of Auburn ; Frank Adams, of Hun-dred of Maitland ; and Hurtle Adams, of Moorook. There are 48 grand-children and 17 great-grandchildren.
A BIRTHDAY PARTY
An enjoyable party was given in the the Petersville Hall by Mr. and Mrs, W, Harmer, of Ardrossan, to celebrate the coming of age of their eldest daughter, Mary. Dancing, games and musical and elocutionary items formed the evenings amusement. Mr. H. Rowntree had charge of the programme, and also acted as M.C. Those taking part in the programme were Miss E Vandepeer, M. Harme, and M. Allen, J. and K. Wheare, F. Harmer, and I. Graham. The dance music was supplied by Mesdames H. Birkin and S. Willing, Miss E. Short, Messrs. J. and W. Harmer, and E. Wheare. Supper was handed round. Amongst those present were Mr. and Mrs, W. Harmer, Mr and Mrs. John Harmer, Mr. and Mrs. James Harmer, Mrs, Jas. Allen, Mr. and Mrs. P. Tilly, Mr. and Mrs. H. Vande-peer Mr. and Mrs. C. Phelps, Mr. and Mrs, H Vandepeer. Mr. and Mrs. H. Birkin, Mr. And Mrs. H. S. Willing, Mr. E. Wheare, Misses A. Sampson, N. Rowntree, H and D, Mason, A. and I. Graham, B. Phelps, D. Ingram, E. Vandepeer, E. Short, E. and V. Hicks, I. Crisp, M.Martin C, Waters, M. Harmer E Harmer, M. Allen, Jean and Katie Wheare, Florrie and Bessie Harmer, Messrs. H. Rowntree, H. G. Smith, B. and G. Mason, K. Nield, W. A. Bailey, C. and R. Hillier, C. and E. Harmer, E. and G. Tilly, W. and H. Vandepeer, Jas. Allen, E. Hicks, T. Lewis, I Graham, W. C. Harmer, and G Hall.
ARDROSSAN, February 24. — On Monday night in the Petereville Hall many friends gathered to bid farewell to Mr. and Mrs. H. Vandepeer and family who are leaving the district.
Mr. woods presided. Addresses were delivered by the Chairman (Mr. J. Petersen) on behalf of the Agricultural Burean (of which Mr. Vandepeer been Chairman), Mr. R. Wijaon (for cricket dab), and Mr. S. Willing : (football club). Songs were rendered' by Mr. X. Wale Iio and music by Miss Woods, Min B)pf, sad Messrs. H. Parker and Glen Woodi. A film tea and coffee service and tray were treaented to the gnerts. Mr. T»nder«er respondM. On Monday night the guests were further entertained by a' representative gathering in the Soldiers' Memorial in Ardroraan. Mr. M. 'Ti Tiddy (Chairman) referred to the many .interests in the town with which Mr. Vandepeer had. been connected. Mr. C. O. B. Cane referred to the esteem in which the family (who were pioneer* In. the district) were held. Mr. H. A. Mont gomery (President of the bowling elnb) re called the work put in by Mr. Vandepeer to laying out the bowling green, and all efforts in establishing the dnb. Mesgra. A. J. Jarrett (representing the Model Parliament), D. Wilson (secretary of the Institute), H. Hoskinj (Pr«i-. dent of the football dnb) also (poke. The cleric of the Model Parliament (Mr. F. Dnke) banded Mr. Tandepeer a cheque contributed by friends of the town and district. The. followmg contributed to the entertainment: — Messrs. Parker, S. Genneln, E. M. Jarrett, C. H. Cane, Whipp, and Walelln, Mesdames Smith and Thomas, and Hisses Tiddy, Bodgera, and.Eopf.
PETERSVILLE AND CUNNINGHAM.
In connection with Education Week on the Peninsula, Petersville and Cunningham schools held a successful concert on Monday, September 17. The programme with the exception of four items was given by the present and past scholars of tbe schools. Mr. J. Petersen, chairman of Cunningham school committee, opened the proceedings. He said he was one of the few scholars left who had attended Petersville the first year it was opened. He also welcomed those who had returned to their old schools. Mr. Roy Vandepeer read Inspector Martin's message. The opening item was the National Anthem and 'Song of Australia' by the combined schools: this was followed by a programme of dialogues, recitations, instrumental, action songs, and vocal items. At the conclusion Mr. A. G. A. Dutschke, chairman of Petersville committee, thanked the audience for there attendance on behalf of both schools, and told the children to take advantage of all the education they could possibly get. He asked the parents to give their children as much education as possible. The stage, which had been decorated with greenery and the school banners, looked very attractive. Supper was served by the ladies committee, after which the hall was cleared for dancing. Mr. G. Wood was M.C. Music was supulied by Misses D. Woods. Graham, and Short. The gross receints for the evening were £13 8/. and after expenses have been deducted the schools will benefit by nearly £12. The teachers Misses Solomon and Vandepeer and the committees wish to thank those who helped. On Friday 20 scholars tinder the charge of the teachers marched in the procession at Kadina and later in the day one boy carried off the gold medal for the boys' race for Class VI. schools.
Owner And Drover Fined
In the Port Victoria Police Court last week, F. A. Vandepeer, of Petersville, farmer, was charged upon the complaint of Mr, R. W. Arrowsmith, of Maitland, clerk of the District Council of Yorke Peninsula, with being the owner of 900 sheep which were found on a public road in the Hundred of Wauraltce, and which did not travel at least five miles in a direct line on one day.
It was said that the council's overseer had inspected Vandepeer's waybill, which stated that he was travelling the sheep from Maitland to Minlaton. For nearly two months the sheep had been travelling the district roads with no fixed direction, and had moved 'only' a few miles every day.
Vandepeer pleaded guilty, and said he had no feed on his property, and was forced to travel his sheep. He was fined £12/16/ in all.
R. Sandford, of Wallaroo Mines, drover, was charged with having unlawfully obstructed a public road by fencing it off with wire-netting.
The prosecution said that he was in charge of Vandepeer's sheep, and made a practice of fencing off the road at night so that the sheep would not escape.
Sandford pleaded guilty, and was fined £4/6/ in all.
Mr. Hans Petersen. of Ardrossan, who celebrated his 80th birthday on April 29. was tendered a surprise party by his friends and relatives In the Petersville Hall. There were about 150 present. Musical and elocutionary items were rendered by Miss Jean Woods, Miss Jessie Mclntosh, Mrs. L. Lock. Misses Short, N. Rowntree, Hosklng, and Cooper (Melbourne). Speeches were made by Mr. C. G. B. Cane, Mr. H. A. Montgomery. Boy. Jas. Mr. McIntosh and Mr. Roy Vandepeer.
REPORTS FROM RURAL CENTRES PETERSVILLE.
The local branch of the Agricultural Bureau held its annual social and monthly meeting in the local hall. Officers elected: —President Mr. E. Vandepeer; senior president. Mr. W. Wood: secretary, Mr. E. Wood; committee, Messrs. A. G. A. Dutschke. R. Vandepeer. E. Wood, R. T. 0. Dutscnke, and W. Wood. Music for dancing was supplied by Misses I. and D. Short, and D. Wood, Mrs. H. S. Willing. Messrs. E. Wood, and R. Haynes. Mr. R. Vandepeer presented the certificates for the crop competition to Messrs. Henderson Bros, (first) and Mr. C. J. Harmer (second). Supper was arranged by Mesdames W. Wood, S. Aries. S. Willing. A. Petersen. A. Vandepeer, A. Dutschke, H. S. Willing, and W. Heard.—Arbor Day was celebrated at the local public school. Several ornamental trees were planted In the school ground under the direction of the head teacher (Mr. E. Wood). In the afternoon sports for the children were conducted on the playground. Oranges and sweets were distributed to the children, and tea was, provided by the parents in ths nail. In a football match the married defeated the single men. The evening was concluded with a dance. Misses I. Short. D. Wood, and Mr. E. Wood supplied the music.
The homestead on the farm of Mr. A. G. A. Dutschke, at Petersville, Yorke Peninsula.
Mr. F. J. Bartlett
Mr. Francis John Bartlett, of Wynarka (and late of Wallaroo Mines), who died at the Murray Bridge Hospital on November 17, was born at Langhorne's Creek on July 10, 1864. As a child Mr. Bartlett went to Gould's Creek, near One Tree Hill, with his parents, the late Mr. and Mrs, John Bartlett, and was there until about the age of 17, when he went to Yorke Peninsula, and was engaged in farming at Petersville for many years. In 1898 he married Miss Emma Coombes, of Ardrossan, and then settled at Wallaroo Mines, where he was employed by the Wallaroo and Moonta Mining Company until the mines ceased operating. His wife died 27 years ago. In 1927 he went to live with his daughter (Mrs. F. M. Harris) at Pinnaroo, and later at Wynarka. He left one son Mr. C. E. Bartlett (Minlaton) and two daughters, Mrs. F. M. Harris (Wynarka) and Mrs, S. E. Goodfellow (Wallaroo); also four grandchildren Messrs. E. W. Bartlett (Fullarton), T H. Bartlett (Gerane-Gerung, Victoria), and F. Bartlett (Wallaroo Mines) are brothers. The funeral took place at Kadina.
Y.P. Pioneer 90 Today MR. J. P. Petersen came in from Thorndon Park to tell me that his father. Mr. Hans Petersen, of Ardrossan, attained his 90th year last week.
Born in Denmark, old Mr. Petersen came out as a young man to Queensland, where he spent three years, and then transferred to Gawler.
Sixty one years ago, Hans Petersen and his brother Peter took up land on Yorke Peninsula, and, driving from Gawler in drays, were the first settlers in the Hundred of Cunningham.
They called the locality Petersville, which is seven miles from Ardrossan. Leaving his son (H. A.) to carry on the old farm, Mr. Petersen retired to the latter town 18 years ago.
Before he left Petersville, he gave 10 acres to the residents in memory of his deceased wife, and now it is known as the Christina Petersen recreation ground.
The veteran helped to build the local church, and has the first earth scoop patented by Clarence H. Smith, of Ardrossan. The family had a big reunion in Petersville hall or Tuesday night.
ARDROSSAN Mr. H. Petersen, who completed his 91st year on April 29, had a party in the Petersville Hall. He and his brother began farming the district 61 years ago. He put in his first crop with one horse and harrowed it with a small mallee tree dragged by the horse. His relatives and descendants of his old neighbors were present at the party. During the evening Mr. John Harmer presented a framed photo of Mr. Petersen to the hall.
ARDROSSAN Fri 21 Jun 1940. The late Mr. Hans Petersen. who died recently at the age of 90. was born in Denmark, and with his young wife migrated to Queensland. He later moved to South Australia. He selected virgin land in PetersvilIe prospered, and added to his holding. He retired and took up residence in Ardrossan 22 year ago.
A LEAD FROM YORKE PENINSULA
Agricultural history in Australia is being made in the district of Petersville, Yorke Peninsula, where eleven farmers have banded together to check soil erosion and restore full fertility to their properties. Their joint effort may well be the pattern for cooperative projects in fanning communities facing similar problems elsewhere in Australia. In Petersville private enterprise, local government and a Government department have combined in what has proved to be an admirable division of labor. Petersville is no better and no worse off in terms of soil erosion than many other average farming communities. There are no particularly horrible exampleswithin within its boundaries. It simply includes a number of properties whose slopes have suffered sheet erosion for many years with steadily declining yields. Where it differs from other , areas, similarly placed, is in the realisation of farmers on adjoining lands that they are facing a common problem which can best be tackled co-operatively. Co-operative effort is the essence of soil conservation. However progressive a farmer at the bottom of a valley may be, all he may do to protect his paddocks will be in vain if his neighbor further up the slopes fails to join in the good work. The time has not yet come when governments can compel farmers to take steps to conserve their lands, even if this were desirable. Only negative action, such as prohibiting clearing in critical areas, is permissible under the Soil Conservation Act. Besides, an ounce of voluntary co-operation in the spirit manifested at Petersville is worth a ton of compulsion. Group endeavor and pooling of resources in this district have resulted in a saving of manpower, time and money, with the added knowledge that the problem is being correctly tackled. Already, denuded land has begun to return higher yields to the acre. Other, less tangible, benefits that have accrued have been a closer understanding between neighboring farmers and the feeling of satisfaction that comes from sharing a common task. Even a joint enterprise like that at Petersville, however, might have been neutralised if the roads in the district had become races to carry the run-off into neighboring fields. But in Petersville the local district Council has joined the team, and besides taking its own measures to control soilshifting water, has offered, farmers the use of a patrol grader at a nominal cost to speed up work on contour banking. The guiding influence in the project has been the Soil Conservation branch of the Department of Agriculture. Unfortunately, help on the scale given at Petersville is not immediately available to farmers everywhere in the State. The branch actually shuns publicity about what is being done on Yorke Peninsula for fear that its resources will not be equal to meeting a general demand for assistance. The branch sorely needs trained technicians to carry on even routine work. Splendid opportunities for young men are thus going begging in a highlystimulating field of agriculture. Here is a vocation for farmers' sons who aspire to creative work. They will be able to play a vital part in preserving the country's food resources.
Petersvllle held its annual Sports on Saturday in the prevailing perfect weather. They had a record gate of £70. In an interval at the sports, the Hon. R. R. Wilson, M.H.R., who was once the secretary of the local Hall, officially opened the Memorial Gates leading to the Oval, in memory of the local men who fought in the two world wars. T. Hillier, of Ardrossan, won the 130 yards foot race with M. Vandepeer, of Victoria Valley, Victoria, second. Colin Wood, a 15-year old, won the sprint from T. Hillier and a good field. Every evil thing is easily stifled at its birth; allowed to become old it generally becomes too powerful.