Scan 12a


Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954), Friday 6 January 1928, page 3


Towards the end of the sixties, the farmers on the South Rhine and Eden Valley were having a very bad time through red rust reducing the yield from 20 bushels to about 4. and as most of them were on rented land from 10/-to 12/- per acre, and reaping by sickle, which cost 12/- per acre, you will readily understand why they were looking further afield. Nearly all the wheat from Eden Valley went per waggon to Jno. Dunn & Co.'s mill at Mount Barker. About that time the lower end of Yorke Peninsula was being surveyed. The first hundreds were Melville, Moorowie, Para Wurlie, and Dalrymple, and were held by Anstey and Giles, of Penton Vale Station; Wm. Fowler, Moorowie; Roger Landers and Stephens, Lake Sunday; Thos. Rogers, Carribie; and Orrie Cowie, by Jas. Gilbert. It was rich grazing country, and it was no wonder they did not look pleased to see the 'cocky" inspecting the land. As soon as the land was thrown open a good lot of it was taken up and "dummied," generally securing the water. At that time no one person could take up more than a square mile. The price started at £2 per acre, and gradually came down to 20/- per acre. After it had been open for selection a certain time it then could be bought right out for cash at 20/-. Limiting selection to 640 acres was a mistake. No one could carry on mixed farming on that acreage, as nearly all the land was very rough and stoney. In 1870 the late F. W. Friebe and I took a run over to see what prospects there were to open a shoe shop and store. We left Port Adelaide per "Edith Alice," and arrived at Salt Creek one Sunday morning in May, tramping it to Middle Hut, which was located near Seven Roads. Mr. H. Newland, saddler, was already established at Seven Roads, where Mr. Dugan was going to lay out a township later on. Mr. Newland kindly drove us as far as Orrie Cowie. At that time there was already a sprinkling of settlers. Mr. Friebe decided to try his luck, and joined Mr. Newland at Seven Roads, but I was not impressed; the land seemed too rough for successful farming and the settlers too scattered to start a store. At first everybody wanted a block with a little clear land and avoided those with lakes as much as possible. The Government would not cut the lakes out. They had all to be paid for as land. By degrees the whole of the hundreds were taken up. As a good number of the settlers were old customers of ours from Eden Valley, we, our firm of Gottschalk and Klem, decided to follow them, and opened a general store at Edithburgh. In 1872 the late C. Kruger had taken up land at Oaklands. so we arranged to go overland together. We left Eden Valley in 1872, C. Kruger with an English waggon and five horses, and I with a van and four horses, leading five behind. We went via Angaston. Tanunda, Gawler, and Two Wells to Port Wakefield. It was a very wet season, and the road track from Two Wells was in awful state. We got bogged a good number of times. The track from Two Wells was not grubbed, and there was scrub mallee on both sides. The mail coach from Adelaide to Moonta had leather springs. No other kind would stand the rough stumps. We got to Port Wakefield on Saturday. and that night there was a tidal wave. In the morning our conveyances were in water up to the axles, and we could not get near them, but the water soon soaked away, and in the afternoon we managed to get round the swamps and camped at the foot of the bald hills at Yarraroo. We then went by easy stages, following the coast track, all scrub, till we got to Oyster Bay, now Stansbury. There we found a Mr. Taylor building a ketch called the "Elizabeth Ann." We asked him why he was building ketch there. He told us he could get all the naturally grown timber for ribs. The young sheaoak trees were the verv best for the purpose. I think he built three ketches there. An old friend of mine bought the "Elizabeth Ann" when she was ready for sea for £1,200, and we often loaded her at Edithburgh with wheat. A very good stout boat she proved to be. Next morning we went to Haywood Park and camped. Not knowing how we were going to get to Edithburgh, we rode up to Seven Roads to see our old friend, W. Friebe, and get directions. At that time there were only tracks from one shepherd hut to another from the head station. H. Newland and F. W. Friebe returned with us to spend the evening wifh us at camp, as Mr. Kruger was close to his selection, and we were to part company. so we put the whole of our flour together and made an old man damper. When we rolled it out of the ashes it was nearly as high as our front wheel. It was pronounced by our visitors A1. Next morning we passed Penton Vale, and got badlv bogged several times, and saw a stack of salt about 80 tons there in bags. The late Mr. L. Giles had it scraped to see if it could be sold, but ! believe the bags rotted and the salt melted with the rain. After we got estab-lished at Edithburgh we tried to sell it for him, and submitted samples to all the leading merchants at Adelaide. They all declared it valueless, not even good enough to salt hides. So much for prejudice. Now we know of no other salt. We reached Sultana at Edithburgh at night. Next morning we hunted up our allotments and shifted on to them and struck camp, and glad the over-land journey was over. Edithburgh at that time consisted of the Trou-bridge Hotel, half up, being built up Jas. Young, of Port Wakefield, and two-roomed cottage with thatch, occu-pied by Mrs. Eastern, who cooked and washed for her sons, near by. Not much of a spec to build a general store, you will say, but we knew when we decided to go to Yorke Peninsula that we should have to go after trade that is why we took over a van. We soon got busy, got a van load of goods over, and made the first trip. We had to keep the pot boiling while the store and dwelling for my partner's family were being built. Soon after we arrived we had an open air meeting at Seven Roads erecting a jetty. W. V. Cornish Salt Creek was a very energetic young man, and he and the skippers of the "Sailor Prince" and "Edith Alice" told us some Munchhouson stories of the dangerous position, with no holding ground, etc., at Edithburgh, but the meeting carried Edithburgh for a jetty. We know the Government made lots of mistakes in that regard but as far as Point DeMole (Edith-burgh) is concerned it made no mistake. It is the only jetty that has a good depth of water. John Wi-hai got the tender to build the first short structure and cutting, and a good stout job he made. From then on the township of Edithburgh grew rapidly. The first mail by water was carried by A. Martin in a little 5-ton cutter called the "Sultana." He carried all our stores via Glenelg, reaching Edithburgh regularly on Sunday morning. We kept the post office in the store, and conveyed the mail to Weaner's Flat (Yorketown) on the following morning per horseback, and returned same day. Martin was almost as punctual as the steamers on his trips, The Government evidently did not have much faith in the country, as no more townships were surveyed till 1870. Minlaton and Maitland surveyed. Mr. Chas. Beaumont saw his opportunity at Weaner's Flat. There was a small block of land that farmers would not take up on account of two-thirds lake and one-third land. As it had laid open the required time it could now be bought for cash, Mr. Beaumont bought it and surveyed the township called Yorketown. He persuaded H. Newland and W. Friebe to come to Yorketown. and would give them an acre each for which they accepted, Mr. Beaumont building the hotel, and with Ed. Jacobs already on the corner where Erichsen's store is, the township could boast of four business places. The land was generally cleared by pulling down with bullocks in winter and broken up with a single fixed plough. That meant a pair of good horses and man to do one acre per day, or 10 weeks to do 70 acres. To-day we do that in a week. On account of the stones and stumps the area was untried in most cases till the stump-jump plough came into use. The late R. Caldwell. M P., of Wattle Point, was the first man to bring a stump-jump plough over. A field trial was held at Wattle Point. The implement was rather cumbersome and made a great noise, but all present were satisfied the principle was right. It would jump the stones and scrape off the little soil there was. and best of all no one had to hold the handles. The blacksmith soon got busy. Once they saw the idea, they soon improved it from year to year Clarence Smith, of Ardrossan, is to my mind the king of the stump-jump plough. Mr. Hazegirdle, of Edithburgh. did a roaring trade with a 3-furrow for £22. There was a fine spirit of self-reliance the old pioneers, such as clearing roads, scraping and cleaning out wells. The Oakland' farmers wanted to buy wheat at Wool Bay (now Pickering) but there was no jetty nor cutting. They volunteered to make the cutting, fence a block of land all free, and 40 men turned up with picks, shovels, and crowbars, making the cutting in one day. Mr. F. L. Barnes, of Oaklands, carted the 8,000 bags that we took in there on account of John Darling & Son for 1d. per bag. Folk in those days did not run to the Government for every 2½d. job that wanted doing, but did it themselves. Getting back to Edithburgh. the late Mr Ben Rose was soon on the job to build a little chapel, and never grew weary of the theme, so it was decided that he should see what could be done re material. A block of land was already bought, and subscription lists were got out to see what cash could be raised. Mr. Rose soon had all stones, sand, lime, and water. Even the young men gave labor, but I don't remember how much cash we raised Mr. E. Guilon got the job to build, plaster, and paint at 2/9 per yard. How does that compare with to-day? A good job he made of it. When the building was completed we were £80 in debt, which we got from the Home Fund, but had to pay off £10 per annum. Four ladies gave a tray each for a tea meeting, the £10 was forth-coming each year, and when it was reduced to £40 eight gentlemen came forward and gave £5 each, so in 1879 the building was free of debt. The Rev. Robt. Kelly, a single man, was our first preacher. He came by the little "Sultana." and we conveyed him on horseback to Weaner's Flat. Mr. Kelly boarded with Mr. Macklin at Sunbury, where. I think, they had a small building for school and service. All of Mr. Kelly's work was on horseback. and his circuit as far as Maitland at times. He had a fine lot of local men assisting him, including R Caldwell, Jas. Caldwell, J. Bartram, S. Woods, Thos Barnes and F. Davey. The Edithburgh Chapel was opened by Mr. Kelly on Christmas Day. 1874, with a tea meeting It was a great success. Tile first steamers to call at Edithburgh were lhe Lubra, Kangaroo, and Royal Shepherd, on their way to Port Augusta and calling in on their return. Fare, 15/- each way. but they took no cargo. It was a good service until the steamer Glenelg was put on. Her capacity was 1.200 bags wheat — a very good boat calling at Glenelg for passengers to help the Glenelg Railway. Later a local steamship company was formed, and Mr A Martin was sent to Scotland to buy a suitable boat He purchased the name ("oniric." but on arrival found we had to spend £400 to make it suitable for the trade On the way out from Scotland we got her to call at Newcastle and filled her with coal at 7/- per ton, which helped to bring her out. Our first schoolmaster was Mr Jas. Gelled, a fine type of man and an ardent Methodist. He was very musical, which was a great help to the church. Our first doctor Dr. A Vonnida, coming from the Bremer Mine. A team and waggon brought his furniture all the way overland, a real journey. He resided near Lake Fowler. Later he mull in Yorketown. ( V ( '.. Rerh-• now ..1 ,TV.i<• — ' The doctor was fiirioii- driving AUv a van.l would gallop them ed 'I • 1 li k. I>1 poiti. • to where he was called, all the 11-1' icultural show was held The first a at Edithburgh. Held alternately at Edithburgh and Yorketown. The first concert was a Catholic one, held in a barn between Yorketown and Seven Road- — a great success. We had to go through a sheet of water near Sheehan Well for finite a quarter of a mile. The bit. Ebenezer Ward m the 70's selected land at Para Wurlie. He received the gold medal at the Paris Exhibition for wheat grown at Para Wurlie. He was instrumental in getting the crossing over the Peesy Swamp made, and it was named after him. He also gave a recitation when the Edithburgh Institute was opened_ Jno Smith was the first manager of the National Bank, kept at the back of our store till they built in Blanche Street. The dairy at Comey Point got its name because Rogers people milked a great number of ewes there and made butter and cheese and shipped it to Wallaroo Mines, and made £7.000 that way. We sold our store to Mr. Geo. Hart, and went into contract work, carting lime burning and wheat buying. etc.. till 187!. When we dissolved partnership I decided to go on the land. My friends did all they could to persuade me not to 120 to Corney Point. Said I would starve there, the land was no good, etc. My only experience in farming was when 10 years old to carry a bullock whip Inside a team of bullocks in a single furrow plough, near Pewsev Vale, and I don't know whether or the bullocks were most frightened, but they thought experience is best. True, I had a pretty bad spin for a time, what with kangaroos, wallabies, and poor crop, but all was altered when super came, which increased the yields 100 per cent. Now we are coming to the next stage of progress, viz.., top dressing, and I predict that within five years top dressing pasture land will be as universal as for cereals. That top dressing will increase the carrying capacity 100 per cent, is beyond dispute, and if any doubting Thomas' are about let them come to Corney Point, and I will show them rough stoney black grass land which will convince them without a shadow o'f doubt, thanks to science and chemistry. No wonder there is a boom in land values in good rainfall districts. Maitland land is fetching almost £30 per acre, and yet before super several farmers were ruined through poor crops, which were as low as 1 and 4 bushels. Now, in conclusion, to justify the Maitland-Paskeville railway, or better still right down to Edithburgh, we want oil or coal that folk say are in abundance at the lower end. Nothing but boring will prove it, and boring costs money, and folk are not very keen to invest what they cannot see. I hope the effort that is being made for a trial bore will be successful.

By Mr. O. Klem, of Corney Point.


Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954), Friday 16 March 1928, page 4

By Mr. O. KLEM, Corny Point.

After leaving Edithburgh the first customer was a young lady who wanted holland for a dress. When I opened the van, behold, one roll was missing; the track was so rough that the roU had broken through the side of the van. I tramped back about a mile and recovered it At Penton Vale two young lubras came and were spelling our name bat could not pronounce it. I asked them where they learnt to read. They answered "Missin." I thought what a pity for them to be at the sta-

tion with about 50 men (being shearing time); but it seemed that even the mission people could not stop them from taking their walks. The blades would spend every penny that they'bad each 'time I oiled, and at times the men had pretty good orders. One day I was told I ought to call on a Mr. — as they had a large family of giris. They owned a spring cart; and in those times the owner of a spring cart was considered somebody. I called. The lady wanted needles. I "showed her several packets, but she only wasted two needles, not a whole packet (costing 4d), so I took out two and gave them to ber; but the buyer of the packet was two short At the Horse Station Stores I met a gentleman drover with sheep. This is how I was greeted: "Where the h—1 are you going' to." I told him Carribie. "You can't get there; your van will smash to pieces; it's only fit for a bullock dray." "Well, I'm going." He said, "There is nothing to go for. Mr. Rogers gels all his goods for the year, and the shearers don't spend any money." So I said, "Well, what about yourself ?" "Well I could do with a suit of clothes, but I am going to Urania, and i don't want to carry them" "I can take them to Carribie." He said, "If you'get there!" However, I fixed him up from head to foot, stripping and trying on the suit, then the usual order on the manager, and "So long." I found the trip nearly too much, but got there, and found, as my friend at Ute Horse Station had said, the shearers would not buy—they only wanted to knock up a cheque. They did not require anything; but strange, during the night they found out such a lot they did want I was there several days; sold Mr. Rogers all my groceries at cost to lighten my load and left with £80. Mr. Rogers sheared 6,000 sheep that year. While there a young fellow came up from Cape Spencer wanting books. He told me he must read or go mad, as he was in constant dread of snakes. To forget about them he bought my whole stock of about 20. I made back via White Hut Burke, "pannican" overseer was stationed there with five or six men. I arrived early and camped. We were never in a hurry in those days. Night came on, yet no one turned up till quite late. This was their greeting: ''Have you got tea ready ?" "No, but I have coffee ready." "Hurrah!" yelled one; I've been wishing for coffee for months. The things they wanted me to buy on my round included land, dogs, skins, horses, guns, rugs, cows, and I don't know what If I had purchased all the skins, etc., offered; I could have loaded a motor truck. Large kangaroo skins were only worth 1/- each. My trip <4ook nearly three weeks, and I ' quite satisfied with the result. Anyone wanting an insight into human nature should take a trip with a van into the country. The characters to be met are surprising.


Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954), Friday 25 September 1931, page 3

Celebrates his 82nd Birthday

it is interesting to note that Mr. 0 Klem of Corny Point, who celebrated his 82nd birthday last Saturday, September 19, is still an active worker on his farm. He cuts posts, erects fences and does a fair amount of riding. The above is a typical picture of him ready to visit a neighbour or round up a mob of aheep. When Mr. and Mrs. Klem left the storekeeping business at Edithburgh and journeyed through 50 odd miles of scrnb to Corney Point, people said they would starve—aud tbey almost did. Superphosphates came in and saved the situation. Mr Klem is a thrifty farmer and Mrs. Klem a wonderful housekeeper so they pulled through the hard times successfully. Mr. Klem came to the State with his parents when seven years of age. In those days the coastline was not charted, and light-houses to warn mariners of dangerous shoals and rocks were scarce and. the vessel was nearly wrecked when off Kangaroo Island. He spent his youth at Morialta and Pewsy Vale. Mr. Klem's father, who was a professional gardener and viticultnrist, built the first hot house, and laid out the orange garden and flower beds for the late Hon. Jas. Baker. It was in 1872 that Mr. Otto Klem arrived at Edithburgh, where he and a partner opened the first store. He also took charge of the first Post Office on Southern Yorke Peninsula. At that time the mails were brought across the Gulf St. Vincent from Glenelg in a 5 ton cutter, by Abraham Martin of Sultana. He arrived regularly at 7 o clock on Suuday mornings. In those days, he would run a special business trip across the Golf for 30/-. In 1879 Mr. Klem took up land at Corny Point, where, after the lean years of early days, many things worked together for success.



Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954), Friday 5 November 1937, page 1

Ladies and Gentlemen,— I am very pleased to be with you this afternoon at the opening of your grandstand, and I wish to congratulate the people of Edithburgh and their committee in having the courage to put up such a fine building. I am quite sure that it will be appreciated, because we have now such a variety ol sport, so you will have no trouble in having it filled from time to time. I came to Edithburgh in 1872, and I may as well tell you that I have a soft spot in my heart for Edithburgh. It was here that I was married, and I also have a link in your cemetery. As a foundation member of the Edithburgh Cricket Club I will tell you a little of the things which happened. First of all, there was no sport of any kind on Y.P. when I came here, except kangaroo hunting, which was a cruel sport and exhausting, too, sometimes. In the early days we had some live wires, and they were anxious to form a cricket club, but we thought. "What is the use of having a club without another club to play with." However, we formed the Edithburgh Cricket Club, which was the first club on South Yorke Peninsula. Here are a few of the foundation members:— E. Giles, Edwin Stonehouse, Thomas Smith, C. Eichner, J. Peggs, Miatke brothers, Davey Brothers, Ralph Anderson, George Klem, George Farr, George Hart, and myself as secretary. Tom Smith, who was bank manager at the time, pushed the town people for all he was worth, and any man who had an allotment could get money to carry on, but the authorities soon removed Tom. When we had formed the club we had no ground to piay on, but we approached the Government and they allotted us a block, and many afternoons we spent on that ground in working bees. There was one thing we needed very badly after we got the ground, and that was seating accommodation. In those early days the Adelaide clubs used to charter a vessel, advertise it as an excursion and bring their lady friends. As secretary I suggested to the Adelaide people that as they were making good money out of these excursions, and we would like to provide accommodation for their lady friends, they should give us £2/2/- every excursion and we would guarantee them a team to play against. This they did. After a while the Adelaide people challenged twenty-two Southern Yorke Peninsula men to play on the Adelaide Oval. We scoured the country as far as Curramulka to get a good, strong team of twenty-two, and we even went as far as Carribie, where we had heard there was a wonderful cricketer to be had. It was my task to fetch him and take him back, and I can tell you this was very distasteful to me,, as he was not worth his salt and cost us £10. In passing I would say that Mr. Hart, senr., was amongst the team. However, we got a tremendous licking, as twenty-two men made twenty-two runs. All I can say in conclusion is: "Keep your sport clean," and I wish you every success with your new venture, and hope that you will have nothing to regret by putting it up.


Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954), Friday 22 February 1929, page 3


The late Mr. C. Klein, of Yorketown, whose death occurred suddenly on Thursday, Jan 3, whilst on a holiday visit to Adelaide, was born at Pewsy Vale on Feb 25, 1861. He came to Yorketown when 14 years of age, and worked for a time at Edithburgh and Corney Point. He later accepted a position as blacksmith in the establishment of the late Mr. W. Riddle, where he remained for nearly 50 years. The late Mr. Klem was Secretary of the Oddfellows Lodge for 24 years, and also did splendid work as Chairman of the Board of Management of the Young Men's Club. He also served a term as Councillor in the Yorketown Corporation. It was a coincidence that the late Mr. Degidan, who was his neighbor for 40 years, also died suddenly a month later. Mr. Klem left one daughter, Miss Ivy Klem. His two brothers are Messrs. O. Klem, Corney Point, and M. Klem, Bose Park, and sister, Mrs Friebe, of Saddleworth.


Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954), Friday 25 October 1940, page 2

The Late Mr. Otto Klem

Ou Sunday, October 13th, at the Yorketown Methodist Church, the Rev. David Annear conducted an "In Memoriam" service to the late Otto Klem. of Corny Point. In the course of his address, he said :— "We remember to-night one who now rests from his labours after a loug and useful life. In all sincerity it may be said of Otto Klem that he was a man who served his day and generation well, and who has left a very definite mark upon the life of the district in which he lived." " Who can measure the influence of such a long and useful life," the speaker asked. A faithful member of the Church, he was the sole surviving Trustee of the Edithburgh Chutch, and was largely instrumental in the building of the first Methodist church in that district. He was a fine citizen, and was one of the pioneers of the district, and throughout his long life took a very keen interest in the business, agricultural and civic life of the community. To the end his mind was keen and alert. He was a good husband and father, ;m<t to those who felt the loss most keenly — the members of the family—the speaker tendered his deep and .sincere sympathy. In their full meaning the epitome of the late Mr. Klein's life may be given in these words. " He was a good man !" The call came on the morning of October 2nd, and our late brother was laid to rest in the Warooka Cemetery on the following day. Mr. Otto G. R. Klein, who was in his "2nd year, came to Australia with his parents in 1856. His father was an experienced gardener, and was, prior to sailing for Australia, head gardener to King Frederick of Prussia at the Royal Palace Gardens at Berlin. Otto received his early education at Lyndoch, S A. He joined the local storekeeper for a while, and later went to Rlumberg in a general store, also to Eden Valley. In IsTJ he engaged in general storekeeping with a partner, Mr. Oottschalk, at Edithburgh. Seven years after his arrival in Kdithhnrgh lie took up land at Corny Point. At that time it was virgin semli, over-tun with mallee and teatree. and infested with wallabies and kangaroos. Preparing this land for agricultuie entailed an enormous amount of work. It is now carrying a sheep to the acre, and up to lu bags of wheat and 12 bags of barley per acre per annum are harvested, which gives some idea of the quality of the soil. Otto Klem had done much for the district, and for many years was member of the local District Council. He has been a generous contributor to the local Hospital, and a keen supporter of the Agricultural Society.

He was the oldest living settler in this portion of Yorke Peninsula, which he had seen grow from virgin scrub to its present prosperous condition. Mr. Klem was an up-to-date farmer, and the scientific application of superphosphate and top-dressing and fodder conservation have been actively engaged in. In practice it has been proved that top-dressing has increased the carrying capacity of the soil over 100 per cent. . In closing this short sketch of a long and useful life, a word must be said of the late Mis. Klem, who predeceased her husband by several years. Prior to her marriage in 1875, as Miss I. Fairclaugh, she resided at Nuriootpa, and to her Mr. Klem attributed much of his success. She was recognised as one of the keenest concologists in the State, and her splendid collection of shells was given to the Museum. There was a family of two sons and five daughters: Paul Vincent, W.A. (deceased); Walter Bede, of Corny Point; Mabel (Mrs. Furrie, N.Z ); Nellie Joy (Mrs. Winnecke, W.A.); Florence (Mrs. Caldwell, W.A.); Olive (Mrs Cardno, N Z ); and Mary, the youngest and the homekeeper. The surviving son, Walter B. Klem. married Miss A. M. Fraser, of Victoria, also a member of a pioneer Australian family.


South Australian Weekly Chronicle (Adelaide, SA : 1881 - 1889), Saturday 3 November 1888, page 5


Sir — As my name has been brought prominently before tbe public, I crave a little space to correct a few of the many misstatementa that are made, and to give the facts of. the caBe. The Commissioner of Crown Lands, after cancelling and reselling the lease of educational lands I had held, summoned me for 12 months' rent paid to be owing by me on the lease. I call attention to the fact that the lease was cancelled and resold before the summons, which took me greatly by surprise, was served. The Commissioner makes a point of having 'as a precaution,' and with the ' greatest consideration' of my case, sent the inspector of credit selections Mr. Pcovis) to collect the rent from use, in fact he makes it appear that Mr, Frovis was Bent over especially for my benefit. The truth is tbe lease waa cancelled before Mr. Provis came. He came o&iy to value the improvements I had made on the land, as the next buyer is charged 5 per cent, for the improvements. He never opened hia lips to me about my owing any rent. I have always paid rents and taxes due by me, but I always pleaded that the rent of this partitular lease was far too high, and that I oould not get the rent out of the land. But whilst admitting lOd. per acre was too much they informed me ia the office that it could not be reduced except by robuying. When I received notice that the lease waa cancelled I felt it waa perhaps done that I might rebuy it at a lower rental, for I had before had an extension of time granted me under the same Act. I have held tbe lease eight years, and paid altogether for rent, penalties, &c, £223 la. 8d., and fully another £150 for fencing, grubbing, clearing, &c. Before noticing the error in the Treasury receipts I bad asked for an extension of time, and it strikes one as inconsistent that at the time the Government are introducing a Bill to relieve farmers Mr. CoIcb is destroying their homes. Granting that their receipts are valueless, and that I actually did owe half a year's rent, he, knowing that the rent waa so very high, might, I think, bave granted me time, aa more liberal men have done before. I should like bon. members to see the land and say if I have cot far more than paid for the title of it. When I got the summons I wrote to Mr. R. OaldsreU, M.P., and asked him to see the Commissioner on my behalf. He did eo, and obtained a Verbal promise from him tbat 'no further action would be taken for the present at ieast ; in fact, that in my case criDpliance wou!d Hot be enforced.' Mri Caldwell at once sent me the promise, and I was quite satisfied with it, not putting in an appearance at court to defend the action, as I was buoy, and tbe journey of about -100 miles wou}d take up valuable time. Judge then my eorpriee when execution was served, and my team of bullocks with yokes and tackling were seized. I telegraphtd to the Com* miBsioner, reminding him of his promise to stay action; also wrote him by the earliest mail laying my case before bim, appealing to bis sense of justice and begging him to spare' my team. I appealed in vain. He denied ever having promised Mr. Oaldwell an j thing, and my team was sold for £30. I leave it to the public who know Mr. Caldwell to judge whether the Commissioner made the promise ot not. Tbe lease baa been ia existence 9 years from April 1, 1879, to March 31, 1888. The first half yearly payment was paid by the late firm of Gottschalck & Klein. I hold 16 half-yearly receipts in my own name, besides one payment by cheque, fur which I hold no receipt; altogether, equal to 18 half-yearly payments. I have held the lease eight years. My first receipt is for half-year's r*nt. ending September 30, 1SS0. On tbe 17th February, 1881, 1 paid half-year's rest by cheque, for which I hold so receipt ; if I had it it is lost. The Government Bay that that cheque was the first mocey received from me. Admitting that that was eo my receipts continue for correct periods, tvd 'as fully paid up to September 30, 1883. Then I pay 12 months' rent, but the receipt .only carries me to March 31, or six months further than the previous receipt, and says ' for rent and arrears.' This error was not noticed by me till after I was summoned. The consequence is that for the total sum I paid, according to the receipts, they ought to carry ire six months further than they' do, 'and make the lease fully paid. The CojuniisBioner said that if I produced the receipt he would return the whole of the money, so I sent them all and obtained the cheque from the bank, feeling that I should fcuiely have justice done me. Accompanied by Mr. Caldwell I waited on the Commissioner, aBking him if he would compensate me in any way for the loss I have sustained, but he said tbat be could do nothing. Consequently. Mr, Caldwell laid tbe matter before the House, where he felt sure I should have justice done me, but the majority preferred to aid Mr. Coles in injustice and oppression. The Commissioner again most erroneously states tbat I acknowledged I bad no claim for compensation, when I maintain that several hundred pounds would not place me in the tinanoial position I held before this discreditable persecution commenced. I have lost time and money, being compelled to go to Adelaide twice, and through loss of my team have been prevented from fallowing land for a crop next year, which was abEolutely needful as the land will not grow a crop in its present state without fallow. Had it not been for the persuasion of Mr. Caldwell, 1 should have given the whole matter into the hands of my solicitor. — I am. &c, OTTO KLEM, Corney Point, October 28, 1888.


Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954), Friday 18 March 1927, page 3

An Enthusiastic Gardener.

Mrs. Otto Klem of Corney Point, will reach her 77th birthday on the 21st of Maich. She is still an enthusiastic gardener and has had some good results under difficulties. It was she who really introduced the the fine bloom chryanthemum. The Yorketown gardeners were astonished at the size of the blooms grown by Mrs. Klem, especially with a then short water supply. The idea took on, and so the chryanthemum shows originated. A great nature lover, shells have given her much pleasure, and the coast for many miles around has been her chief recreation, resulting in one of the best private named collections of shells in south Australia.

Mrs. Otto Klem died at her home at Corny Point on Wednesday, May 27, 1936 at the age of 86 years. Her husband, five daughters and one son survive. The funeral took place at the Warooka Cemetery on Thursday afternoon and was conducted by the Rev. Hutchinson.


Express and Telegraph (Adelaide, SA : 1867 - 1922), Friday 19 October 1888, page 3


Sir — As your widely circulating newspaper is generally considered-quasi-official you will perhaps be good enough to allow me a little Bpace to put myBelf Btralght with the public respecting a case'which I brought before the notice of the House of Assembly last night. The' facts of the case as stated by me when moving the motion are fairly reported in this morning's Advertiser,. They are as follow, if you will kindly allow me to re-state them. Mr. Otto Klem, a farmer, living at Corney Point, on Yorke'e Peninsula, was a little behind with rent due on account of a lease of educational land occupied by him. On the 4th of last August I received a letter from him informing me tbat he had received a summons from the Commissioner of Crown Lands on account of a certain sum of money safd to be due. On the 7th of the same month I waited on the Commissioner, explained the circumstances of my constituent, and obtained from him a verbal promise to the eSeet that the legal threat would not be carried into execution. This promise was communioated by me to Mr. Klem immediately after my interview with the Commissioner. As I was aware that many of our outside settlers were placed under serious difficulties in meeting demands made upon them, and the Commissioner had informed me tbat he was bound to carry out the law, on the 15th of August, at my instigation, the House adopted a resolution enabling the Commissioner' to exercise leniency in the administration of our land laws pending the introduction of legislation consequent on the adoption of the report of the Land Commission. A short time after this motion was affirmed—well within a fortnight—I received a telegram from Mr. Klem stating that an execution had been served, requesting me to see into the matter. Of course I at once went to the Crown Lands Office, where, to my surprise, 1 learned the Commissioner had neglected to give effect to the promise made on the 7'h. I may here say that there was a little difference between Che Crown Lands Department and Mr, Klem with reference to the amount due by the latter. Mr. E. affirmed tbat be held receipts covering the full term of eight years which he had been in occupancy of the land in Question, and the Commissioner that an amount for the half-year ending March, 1888, was still due. In justice to Mr Klem 1 must say 1 have Been receipts held by him covering eight annual payments made between 1880 and 1887, but by a clerical erior in one of the receipts I am, however, inclined to believe that the department had a claim on the lease on account of half a year's rent in arrear. Be that as it may, when the execution -was served, to use Mr. Klein's own words—"lhat letter,"-the letter received from me, " prevented me from putting in an appearance, as I thought it quite useless to do so, and was quite thunderstruck when the bailiff came with the execution." A team of Bix bullocks belonging to ° Mr. Klem, with bows, yokes, Ac., were seized and sold at Warooka on Friday, August 81 (I believe the date is right), for the sum of £30. Bent, fine, and expenees amounted to over £27. The Commissioner in replying to me said Mr. Klem " acknowledged he had no claim for compensation." Such acknowledgment was not, however, made in my presehee by Mr. Klem while in the Commissioner's office or at any other time. Quite the reverse. Legal advice had been taken, an d an action might have been entered against the Government had I not dissuaded Mr. Klem from doing so, promising to brlDg the matter before the House, where I felt sure he would receive the justice he was unable to obtain elsewhere. She division taken proved that I was mistaken in my expectation. So keenly do I feel the treatment received that I cannot help saying had a similar result been obtained by a division of a full house I would have been disposed to place my resignation in the hands of the Speaker.

—I am, &c.,

ROBERT CAIiDlVE'jL. Isew Market Inn, October 18, 1888,


Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954), Saturday 5 September 1925, page 3

Fifty years ago from last Christmas Day. the first Methodist Church at Edithburgh (the third on the Lower Peninsula, Sunbury and Warooka being first and second) was opened for public worship. During last week-end Edithburgh Methodists enthusiastically celebrated the Jubilee of their Church. A number of old friends of the Church now resident in other places returned to the well-remembered scenes, and local people gathered in large numbers to mark the occasion. The celebrations commenced on Friday afternoon with a sumptuous high tea, which had been prepared by the Ladies' Guild, under the leadership of Mrs. Jas. Rose as President. The tea was notable for a fine atmosphere of good fellowship, as many old friends met and merry recollections of by-gone days were exchanged. The honor of cutting the large birthday cake was given to Mrs. Gillard, who was among those present at the opening fifty years before. In the evening a Public Meeting and Re-union was held in the church. The Rev. W. Glen Clarke presided and cordially welcomed the visitors. Mr. C. S. Robert, Church Treasurer, gave a brief account of the history and development of the Church during the forty years he has been intimately connected with it. Mr Otto Klem, of Corney Point, the only surviving member of the original Church Trust, held the attention of the audience as he told of the beginning of of the Church and district. Greetings were read from past ministers and members, and Rev. J. H. Pointon conveyed the greetings of the neigh-boring Minlaton Circuit. Rev E. W. Caust, a former minister of the Church, delivered a reminiscent address. Songs were sung by visiting ladies, Mrs. Taylor, and Mrs. Robert. A part-song " Let the Hills Resound." was creditably rendered by the Choir. Those present who had also attended the opening ceremony 50years earlier were — Messrs. O. Klem, O. G. Rechner and A. H. Heinrich, Mesdames Fleetwood, Gillard, and Algie. It was mentioned that Mrs. Bramley, Senr., has the distinction of being the first lady to have been married in the old Church. On Saturday evening, in the Insiitnte, a concert drew a large and appreciative audience. Overtures were played by Mr. W. P. Riddle's Orchestra. Songs were contributed by Mesdames Robert and Taylor, Miss Rechner, Master Keith Roberts, and Mr. P. Davey. Duets by Mrs Taylor and Mr. H. J. Middleton. Mr. Carl Thomas delighted music lovers with flute and saxophone solos. Misses Baker and Stella Tilbrook, and Mr. Peter Kinnane added to the pleasure and gaiety of the evening with elocutionary items, while Mr. O. H. Jaehne with Mr. Peter Kinnane, occasioned much merriment with their humorous contributions. The accompanists were Mesdames Thomas, Roberts and Caldwell, Miss Kathleen Mathews and Master Horace Jordan. At the conclusion of the concert those who took part were entertained at supper by the members of the Ladies' Guild at Mrs. Alden-hoven's home. The climax of the celebrations was reached on Sunday, when three services were conducted by the Rev. E. W. Caust. Good congregations assembled throughout the day; in the afternoon and evening the seating accommodation of the church was taxed to its utmost. At the afternoon service Mrs. Taylor sang "Do We Believe," and in the evening Mrs. Robert "Angels Ever Bright and Fair." The choir contributed the anthems "Seek Ye the Lord, " Send Out Thy Light," and "Sun of My Soul "

Out Among the People

Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1931 - 1954), Monday 11 December 1939, page 17

Pioneer Y.P. Wheat Shipper MR. Otto Klem drops me a line from Corney Point to say that he never shipped the first load of barley at Salt Creek (Coobowie. YP.), but when he lived at Edithburgh he shipped the first wheat that went over the local jetty before it was completed. He shipped the first wheat from Wool Bay (Pickering) before there was a jetty or a cutting down the cliff. The farmers of Oaklands (40 men with picks and shovels), however, made the cutting in a day. "We could buy there free of charge." Mr. Klem adds. "There was not a house or even a tent at Pickering then. We took in 8,000 bags."


Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954), Friday 11 August 1939, page 7

The Pioneers' Tablet.

The tablet erected to the memory of the pioneers of Corny Point and district, recently unveiled by the Premier (Hon. T. Playford, M.P.) contains the following names:— To Commemorate the Pioneers of Corny Point and District.


1846—James Coutts.

1847—William Burrage.

1851—Thomas Rogers.

1854—Ann Rogers.

1856—W. & J. Gilbert.

1859—William Fowler.

1865—R. L. Lander., R. Stephens.

1875—John Hannay.


1878—Robert Turner, Mr. and Mrs. J. Y. Barclay, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Burford, Mr. and Mrs. William Goldsmith, J nr. Thomas Phillips. Henry Mazinni. F. W. Peake. Otto Klem, Mr. and Mrs. A. E. Bucklaud. A. J. Egan.

1881 —W. B. Glover.

1882—Thomas Fleming. Samuel Robinson, Mr. and Mrs.

1883—Charles Hayes Mr. and Mrs. David Ramsay, Mr. and Mrs. George Liddiard, and Mrs. John Woods. Lawrence Me Egan. F. E. Schneider.