... Stansbury Home Page ...
Stansbury Cemetery Indexes Website
Dalrymple Hundred Map Website
Books about Stansbury
Stansbury sits on the pristine waters of Oyster Bay in Gulf St Vincent against a background of Norfolk Pines.
Located on Yorke Peninsula, a two and a half hour drive from Adelaide, it's an ideal base to explore the region. Stansbury is centrally located for access to Innes National Park, 110 kilometres to the south, and the Copper Coast 110 kilometres to the north.
The Mediterranean climate, sandy beach and calm waters of the bay are ideal for beach activities, swimming and water-skiing. The well maintained foreshore features one of the best children's playgrounds on the peninsula with two colourful play stations. There are also shaded barbecue and picnic facilities along the foreshore and at the jetty reserve. Enjoy the monthly, bustling Stansbury Seaside Markets.
An all-tide two-lane boat ramp, and beach and jetty fishing provide the angler with plenty of opportunity for fishing. Popular seasonal catches include King George Whiting, Garfish, Mullet, Tommies and squid. Blue Swimmer Crabs can be raked from the shallows or netted from the jetty or boat.
Tourism, oyster farms and limestone are some of the major industries of today found at Stansbury. The development of oyster farms now supplying fresh, locally produced oysters is another popular attraction, as are the many beautiful older buildings and even fence lines constructed of limestone.
The first settler in the district was Alfred Weaver who brought 7,000 sheep with him. Weaver built a shearing shed in 1846 where Stansbury now stands. Due to the abundance of oysters found in the bay, Stansbury was originally known as Oyster Bay and had a reputation for the best oysters in South Australia. For a number of years there were between 15 and 20 oyster dredges working the bay, until eventually it was fished out.
The name Stansbury came into being when Governor Sir Anthony Musgrave renamed it in 1873 after his friend Mr Stansbury. Find out more about the town's history at the Stansbury Museum.
District Council of Yorke Peninsula - History of Stansbury
Stansbury was proclaimed a township in July of 1873 and was name by Governor Anthony Musgrave, after on of his friends. The locality was originally known as Oyster Bay because of the large oyster beds here. The oysters were first commercially harvested in 1846 and for some time kept 15 to 20 oyster dredges employed, each producing 20 bags of oysters per day until the beds were fished out*. *Stansbury Centenary Book.
In 1874 when the land was surveyed for closer settlement and farmers took ver from graziers, farmed experimented with the growing of fruits, olives, mulberry trees (for obtaining silk from silk worms) and vines.
Louis Wurm produced some first class olive oil. There was a jam factory to utilise the fruits and in 1897 from about 40 hectares, 3585 gallons of wine was produced. It was thought that the country might be suitable for vine growing, but the next year only produced 1500 gallons. It was then considered that the salt was rising in the soil and vine growing was abandoned. Farmers subsequently resorted to mixed farming and then the growing of wheat and barley*. *Four Make One, Page 35.
The first jetty was built here in 1877. In 1905 a larger one was erected to enable larger ship to berth. That jetty disappeared in 1941 when it was blown up as a military exercise*. *Stansbury Centenary Book.
Limestone is very near the surface on the east coast between Trougbridge Hill and Black Point and many early settlers made their own lime by burning the lime-stone with the abundant supply of mallee firewood. Some of the remains of the old lime-burning kilns still remain*. *The Ill Shaped Leg, Page 135.
A man named Charles Dry is said to have been the first man to make lime for export. His occupation before leaving England was a lime burner and with his two sons he established a business here supplying lime for building purposes to David Miller of Adelaide. This was the beginning of Millers Lime and Timer Pty. Ltd. and now Lloydes Australia Pty. Ltd*. *Stansbury Centenary Book.
The burnt, powdered lime was used to make mortar and as can be seen many of the old houses are made of limestone and mortar.
After the land was surveyed into Hundreds for closer settlement, Governor Fergusson named some of the Hundreds after his Scottish friends and kinsfold. "Ramsey" was his wife's maiden name, "Dalrymple" was after his father, Sir Charles Dalrymple Fergusson* , "Maitland" and "Cunningham" were two other relatives, Kilkerran was the name of the Fergusson family estate in Scotland**.
*The Cyclopedia of South Australia, Page 142, Volume 1. **Governor Fergusson's Legacy, Page 3.
The hotel here was originally called the "Oyster Bay Hotel" then the "Jetty Hotel" and later the "Dalrymple Hotel" after the Hundred in which it was situated*. *Stansbury Centenary Book.
Much of the early exploration of lower Yorke Peninsula was begun from Oyster Bay, a convenient landing place, and named for the rich oyster beds that it contained. Robert Cock and partner explored from Coobowie in 1838 and reported on the apparent poor fertility of the region, and its lack of surface water. In 1843 further exploration of the lower peninsula was undertaken by William Robinson. He landed at Oyster Bay and explored from there but his report was unflattering: again the lack of surface water was a key factor, but the heavy scrub and sheoaks meant that 'not one acre of land [was] fit for cultivation' (Cook p. 5)
Despite this however a few years later Alfred Weaver sent his employee Charles Parrington to select grazing land: Parrington chose Oyster Bay and became the first white man to live on the Peninsula. Pastoralism thrived on the Peninsula despite the water shortages, and the remoteness from Adelaide and services.
Town and Hundred surveyed
By the 1870s however farmers were calling for the land to be opened for agriculture. Leaseholds were gradually resumed and the surveyors moved in. The Hundred of Dalrymple was proclaimed 20 June 1872; Stansbury was surveyed in 1873 and named by Governor Musgrave after a friend.
Pastor Christian Teichelmann moved to Stansbury in 1872 and opened the first shop; he also began the first Sunday School and was the first Postmaster. Alexander Anderson arrived in 1874 and took up land two miles west of the town. He was responsible for the erection of Stansbury's first jetty in 1877. In 1877 also the District Council of Dalrymple was formed with George Sherriff as the first Chairman. Stansbury is now administered by the District Council of Yorke Peninsula.
As the farmers took up the land the scrub was cleared. Some residual patches still stand providing an idea of the original vegetation with mallee, sheoak, broombrush and scrub wattle, with many orchids in the understorey. Kangaroos and wallabies were plentiful. Edward Snell's painting gives an idea of the scrub and the kangaroos.
The Oyster Bay Hotel was built in 1875. A second hotel was also built, the Dalrymple, but the town was not large enough to support two hotels, and it closed in 1897. The Oyster Bay Hotel eventually was renamed the Dalrymple Hotel. The Institute was built in 1884, being replaced 30 years later by a new larger building. The old building was eventually taken over by the Returned and Services League (RSL), and with an extension at the front served as the Dalrymple Soldiers' Memorial. A Moreton Bay fig tree was planted as a memorial to the soldiers of World War I, later being relocated to the foreshore near the jetty; commemorative gates were hung at the Recreation Ground in memory of the soldiers of World War II.
The oyster beds that gave the district its first name also provided one of the first commercial enterprises for the town. But after intensive dredging the beds were exhausted by 1890. In 1960 Jim McIntyre introduced oyster farming into the clear waters of the bay. Other fishing also flourished in the bay, until over-fishing reduced stocks. The early farmers opted for fruit growing due to the poorness of the soil. Wheat and barley became the main crops in the district with the introduction of superphosphate in the 1890s. Dairying was for many years a thriving business with the South Australian Farmers' Union opening a factory in Stansbury in 1923. At its peak it produced 2400 pounds of butter a week. Increasing wool prices saw cows being replaced by sheep: less labour-intensive sheep were providing a better return for farmers. The butter factory closed in 1951.
Lime kilns were established in 1895 by Charles Dry; three years later Albert Pitt opened his first kiln and eventually operated nine kilns producing over 30,000 bags per annum. Other firms also entered this lucrative business. In 1911 Pitt began producing cement from the Stansbury limestone and in 1913 Adelaide Cement Co. Ltd was formed with A W G Pitt as the first managing director. The cement works were built at Birkenhead Port Adelaide and ketches carried the limestone across the gulf. The Stansbury quarry was abandoned in 1919 because of high clay content: the shallowness of the bay and the closeness to the town were also seen as disabilities. Operations were moved four miles south to Klein Point. A jetty was built here, and other amenities to assist the loading of the ketches, later larger steamships. Adelaide Cement and SA Portland Cement Company merged in 1970 to form Adelaide Brighton Cement Ltd. The company's custom built vessel Accolade II carries limestone across the gulf daily.
Schools and churches
There were several privately operated schools in the district before the Government school was built in 1878. The private schools continued to operate well into the 20th century, one as late as 1940. Secondary education is provided by Area Schools at Minlaton and Yorketown.
A Christian Church (serving all Protestant religions) was begun in January 1874 being held in the home of James Cornish, until the church was opened for worship in 1875, on land donated by Jacob Abbot. Methodists were served by an itinerant minister for several years. Then in December 1877 the Methodist church building was completed and opened in time for Christmas. The Church of England (Anglican) St Augustine's was opened in October 1878.
Transport and other amenities
Bullock drawn wagons were later replaced by horse drawn vehicles including smart buggies. Goods were delivered to Stansbury by ketch, later steamer, and the jetty would be thronged on Thursdays and Saturdays as farmers and residents collected their mail and supplies. By 1916 motor vehicles were replacing these modes of transport although horses were still being used for agricultural purposes. As the roads improved road transport took over the role of the steamships in delivering goods. The ketch trade lingered longer but once the bulk loading facilities for grain became available at Ardrossan (1953), Wallaroo (1958) and Port Giles (1968), these became a thing of the past. Electricity was supplied in the town by the local garage from 1930; in 1947 this was taken over by Electricity Trust of South Australia and in 1953 the town was connected to the main grid from the Osborne Power Station. Reticulated water reached the town in 1959.
The town has an active sports programme with football, netball, tennis, bowling, golf and boating facilities. The Stansbury & Port Vincent Classic & Wooden Boat Regatta is held biennially on 1 & 2 of April.
State Library of South Australia - B 18343 - Opening of Stansbury Jetty, October 1905
State Library of South Australia - B 33632 - E.F.S. station, appliance and crew at Stansbury; Mr. A. Farrow on the right
State Library of South Australia - PRG 733/244 -
Towler Street, Stansbury, South Australia, viewed from the jetty. The Dalrymple Hotel can be seen with the name of N.R. (Nicholas Robert) Clift, publican. Clift was the publican of the Dalrymple Hotel from 17 March 1892 to 18 October 1893.
State Library of South Australia - PRG 280/1/37/107 -
A jetty used by the cement industry near Stansbury, South Australia
State Library of South Australia - B 69767
View of the cove and jetty at Wool Bay, April 1937
[From a Special Correspondent.] Tue 29 Nov 1883
After staying a short time near Edithburgh to recuperate after my long ramble round the coast, I determined to return to Adelaide via Stansbury, and so availed myself of the opportunity of driving along the cliffs between those two places. I was advised to do this by several persons, all of whom described the road as one of the finest drives in the colonies. And it is, without exception, quite as pleasant and exhilarating as any I know of. The road lies on the top of the high cliffs all the way, a distance of about fifteen miles, passing through the small villages of Coobowie and Pickering. At the latter place is a small jetty, but it does not seem to be much used. Stansbury is a nice little place, has a beautiful, clean, hard, sandy beach, splendid bathing grounds, and a jetty a thousand feet long. The chief drawback to the place seems to be the want of deep enough water at low tides to allow the steamers to come close in. On the way to and near Stansbury are some good wheat crops, most of which should turn out not less than from twelve to fifteen bushels to the acre. About a couple of miles north of the township, Mr. F, Wurm, a well-known resident of Unley for many years, has a large area of ground laid out as an orchard and flower and vegetable gardens. The trees are young yet, but they appear to be thriving, and the vines are laden with fruit. Vegetables of all kinds are in profusion, and so also are the flowers. I returned to town greatly interested in what I had seen of the Peninsula, and much pleased and benefited by the outing I had. In some respects I was disappointed with the scenery, which away from the coast is rather tame. Of the whole peninsula it may be said there is not a hill worth speaking of, nor is there a permanent stream. I do not think it will carry a larger population than at present, and many people arc of opinion that it has seen its best days; that the farms will get into larger holdings by the small blocks becoming gradually but surely absorbed; and that much of the ground now cultivated will revert to pastoral purposes. When I was in the district westward of Warooka I made it my business to enquire what the people there did in the matter of attending schools and churches, because so far as I could see there were neither schoolhouses nor places of worship of any kind whatever. I was informed that the population was so small and widely-scattered that no place of worship could be erected. I learned, however, that the district is periodically visited by tbe Rev. Mr. Whitton, Anglican clergyman of Edithburgh, who spends a week at a time going about among the farms and wherever practicable, conducting services in the farmhouses. These labors appear to be highly appreciated by the people, but from the nature of the country travelled through they must necessarily entail a large amount of toil and real hard work on the part of that gentleman. In the way of day-school accommodation the residents are not so well off. They are too far from Warooka to send their children thither; they are too far from each other for them to unite and agitate to have a school built among themselves; there is no central place in which a school could be erected; and they are too poor to engage governesses. This is a serious state of affairs. Here are scores of children growing up without any regular school training, and in fact entirely destitute of education, except what little their parents can give them, which from the circumstances of the case must be of the most meagre and elementary nature. How to cope with this difficulty successfully it is all but impossible to say. Doubtless there are other portions of the colony as unfavorably situated as this one, and it may be regarded as inseparable from newly settled districts. This fact does not, however, solve the difficulty. Something should be done, if possible, to remedy this undesirable condition of things, and the educational system of the colony cannot be regarded as complete if it fails to reach large numbers of children. What seems to be the only feasible plan which can be adopted is to appoint travelling schoolmasters, to be paid fixed salaries wholly by the State. These should have charge of certain districts, each containing say about twenty families. On fixed days at regular times the teacher should visit certain houses and give instruction to the children. Before leaving the house lessons might be set for the pupils, to be prepared by the time the teacher again visited that place. This appears to me the only way in which children so circumstanced can be taught. There would be difficulties in settling the details of such a scheme, and some trouble would very likely be experienced in getting suitable teachers; but this should not prevent the making of some effort towards meeting this pressing need. O, for the coming of that glorious time When, prizing knowledge as her noblest wealth And best protection, this imperial realm, While she exacts allegiance, shall admit an obligation on her part to teach them who are born to serve her and obey; Binding herself by statute to secure For all the children whom her soil maintains The rudiments of letters, and inform The mind with moral and religions truth, Both understood and practised, so that none, However destitute, be left to droop. By timely culture unsustained, or run Into a wild disorder, or be forced To drudge through a weary life without the help of intellectual implements and tools— A savage horde among the civilised; A servile band among the lordly free.
STANSBURY, OYSTER BAY, which is a township surveyed and sold by the Government, although not at present much populated. It is, however, the natural outlet for both the Hundreds of Ramsay and Dalrymple, except a small portion of the latter adjacent to Salt Creek. Oyster Bay has been for many years the place of shipment for the Lake Sunday Run. The front allotments fetched high prices. A long sandspit stretches out from one of the promontories, so that there is good shelter for vessels in almost any weather. A considerable quantity of wheat was shipped there this season, and the settlers hope before next harvest to have a jetty erected. The township is prettily situated on the slope of a hill, commanding a beautiful view of the country on either side, as well as the sea and Mount Lofty. Already a store and a blacksmith's shop are in full operation and a Post-Office, although there has been hardly more than one harvest reaped, but very few settlers having any crop before this harvest, aud those who had but a small quantity, although a high average. In a small cove at one corner of the Bay a vessel is being built for the Peninsula trade, to be called I believe the 'Free Selector.' The knees and other heavy timbers are all obtained on the adjacent land, the crooked peppermints being very excellent for such purpose. It is the second vessel that has been built in the same place by the proprietor, Mr. Taylor. A sum of £50 has been obtained from the Government for the purpose of clearing the road inland as far as Weaver's, over which there is considerable traffic. A very pretty wooded point runs out on the right of the township, and care should be taken by declaring it a forest reserve, or some other means, to preserve the trees here from ruthless destruction. It is possible Stansbnry may at some future day be a resort of Adelaideans seeking a retired watering-place, which they would here find combined with the boon; of almost invariably cool nights. If, however, it were only for the sake of local residents, the timber in question should be preserved. Salt, wood, and gypsum are or will be articles of considerable export from Yorke's Peninsula. The first has already been shipped in some quantity. It is obtained from the lagoons, being scraped into heaps off the surface. In its raw state, however, it is very strong, and some process for refining it would, I should think, add greatly to the value of the product. Gypsum is obtained from the same lagoons. It is underneath the salt in beds of varying thickness in the form of regular diamondshaped crystals, quite transparent when broken thin, and very pure. M. Tocchi and three men have been working for the Yorke's Peninsula Plaster and Cement Company for some months, and have about 150 tons at King's Lagoon washed and ready to send away.
The carriage of sheaoak to Port Adelaide for firewood is an increasing trade, and one which can be carried on to the advantage alike of those engaged in clearing the land and consumers on the other side of the Gulf, whilst it affords a large amount of employment to small coasters, or back freight to the regular trading ketches. The wood is purchased on the beach from the farmers at from 5s. to 6s. per ton. Many thousands of sheaoak pick-handles have been supplied to the Wallaroo mines, and much of the timber could be split for wheel-spokes but the dearth of labour is a hindrance to anything of that kind, and for the same reaion a great deal is drawn together in heaps and burnt instead of being cut up and carted to the shipping-places. In riding from Lake Sunday, Station I had an opportunity of getting general view of the country between that and Yorke Valley, the road being for the most part along rising ground from the centre, towards St. Vincent's Gulf, there is a wide belt of mallee scrub extending the whole distance from Moonta to the northern end of Penton Vale. On each side of this towards the coast is more or less good land available for agricultural and pastoral farms in combination, which is or will be the prevailing system among the settlers of tho Peninsula. After riding 20 miles, passing several wells of good water, I reached GUM CREEK, a second station of Messrs. Anatey & Giles.
STANSBURY, November 26.
The Institute was opened here to-day, and is free from debt. The cost of the building —hall 40 x 25, and a room 25 x 14—was £414 4s. 10d. The opening ceremony was performed by Mr. F. Faulkner, J.P. (the president of the building committee), after which the secretary (Mr. F. Wurm, jun.) was called on to read the balance-sheet, which showed, after paying for the building, that there was £20 towards furniture and £20 subscriptions to be collected. Mr. R. Caldwell, M.P., having addressed the meeting, Mr. Wurm read the first page of the history of Stansbury, and described Mr. Weaver's first visit in 1845 and how he took up land. Mr. Weaver, who is now 84 years of age, being unable to be present, sent a guinea in aid of the funds. Mr. E. Newman, J.P., in a short speech, moved a vote of thanks to the secretary for the able manner in which he had carried out the duties devolving upon him, and also to Mr. Charles Carriet, who was the architect and builder and a liberal subscriber. The vote was carried with acclamation. At half-past five about 250 people sat down to tea in Mr Warren's wheatstore. The good things were provided by Mesdames Wauchope, Wurm, Warren, Faulkner, Putland, Newman, and Edmonds. At half-past seven an entertainment was given in the Institute. Mr. Caldwell, M.P., occupied the chair. The following programme was successfully carried out — Overture, Miss Batten ; duet, Mr. and Mrs. Marcus; song, Miss Abernithy ; recitation, Mr, Ponder; song, Miss Batten ; song, Mr. Marcus; song, Mrs. Wauchope; song, Miss Daniels; song, Mr. F. Wurm, jun.; song, with violin obligato, Mrs. Marcus; second part — Overture, violin and piano, Messrs. Faulkner and Wurm ; duet, Miss Batten and Miss Abernithy ; song, Mrs. Wauchope ; recitation, Mr. Joseph Abbott; song, Mrs. Marcus song, Mr. Marcus ; song, Miss Batten ; recitation, Mr. Ponder sang, Miss Abernithy ; song, F. Wurm, jun. song, Mr, F. Wurm. The entertainment closed with votes of thanks and the national anthem, after which the young folks danced till morning. Total proceeds, £21 0s, 9d.
Nature Study at Stansbury
Mr J. W. Mellor, president of the Royal Australasian Ornithologists' Union, and Mr H. N. D. Griffith, vice-president of the South Australian Botanical Club, returned to Adelaide by the Juno from Stansbury on Monday evening, whither they had been making investigations in the interest of science during the Easter holidays, in their respective branches of natural history. They obtained notes and specimens which will prove highly interesting when fully worked out. Stansbury was made the headquarters of the excursion, and they were greatly assisted by Mr C. Thyer, who has done considerable local work in nature study. Mr Mellor's chief object in visiting the locality was to study the numbers of peculiar waders that are to be found at this time of the year on the broad open flats of the foreshore at low tide, and which depart a little later on for the Far East, where they breed in Siberia and Japan. Mr Mellor was fortunate in securing specimens and data, which will clear up some knotty questions that have been puzzling our local ornithologists. He identified between 50 and 60 specimens of birds. Although flowers are scarce at this time of the year, Mr Griffith was able to identify many species by their foliage and fruits, and he was enabled to secure some splendid specimens of the various insects that cause galls and other malformations on the plants and trees, together with their connecting life history.
BUTTER FACTORY FOR STANSBURY.
A meeting was held in the Yorketown Town Hall on Thursday evening, when Mr. E. H. Fromen, manager of the Dairy Produce Department of the S. A. Farmers' Cooperative Union, and Mr. A. J. Cooke, assistant manager, were present and spoke on the necessity for the erection of a butter factory on Southern Yorke Peninsula. Mr. E. H. Giles, J.P. presided and referred to the high cost of sending cream to Port Adelaide and was in favor of a factory being erected. Mr. Fromen outlined the history of the dairy produce department of the Union ; it had 8 butter factories, 2 cheese factories and a bacon factory and were erecting a large building at Mile End, which would include freezing works, ice and butter factories. It was intended to use this building for the wholesale disposal of dairy produce. He touched upon the important matter of egg production and transportation. The present system of packing and shipping eggs from Southern Yorke Peninsula made for great waste and loss which eventually fell back on the farmer. In consequence of this out-of-date system of packing and the rough handling only 10 to 20 per cent, of the Peninsula eggs were fit to send away to other parts of the world, whilst from other towns some 50 to 70 per cent were good. The speaker favored a central depot on the Peninsula in connection with the butter factory, to receive all eggs and have them packed by experts with fillers or in casks, thus making the consignments fool-proof as far as the handling on wharf and steamer was concerned; by this method the producer would benefit by increased returns. The erection of a butter factory would mean a big saving to the farmer in transport and other charges. Mr. Cooke referred to his tour of the other States and New Zealand. He found that practically dairy produce was handled under the co-operative system and the producer received high returns. In every instance the producers had subscribed the money to erect the factories. He was very favorably impressed with this part of the Peninsula as a dairying centre. There was probably more money in the dairying industry than in any other branch of agriculture, He referred to the factory at Murray Bridge which would eventually treat the milk of 40,000 cows and supply the residents of Adelaide. The surplus milk would be used in the dry products. After discussion a committee was appointed to canvas the district for the sale of shares. It was mentioned that the factory would be opened within three or, four months after the shares were all taken up. The following are the members of the committee appointed :—Messrs. T. Croser, E H. Giles. G. Koop, H. Koop, W. E. Koop, W. Porter, W. Kirsch and M. Quick (Yorketown agent).
STANSBURY BUTTER FACTORY. OFFICIAL OPENING.
The production, at a profit, of butter by the individual farmer is commonly out of the question, for it is highly skilled work requiring special facilities. The co-operative factory operating on a comparatively large scale is able to buy cream from the farmer for what it may be worth, Waking from it products of uniform good quality. This is the secret of the Danish success in dairying, for the consumer wants uniform good quality and gets it every time. Cooperative dairying has proved a conspicuous success in Australia where it is advancing steadily. The latest addition to the increasing number of butter factories of the S.A. Farmers' Co-operative Union has been erected at Stansbury. Thursday, September 7,1922 was a red-letter day in the history of the town, when the new building was officially declared open. A very large attendance of shareholders and others interested had gathered to view the factory and witness the ceremony. Old and young were extremely interested in the various processes for treating cream, all of which were thoroughly and courteously explained by the officials. The factory is well-equipped and economically worked and a firstclass quality of butter is being turned out. On entering the building the first thing that attracts the eye is the up-to-date method of egg packing—the storage and sale of which is now an important branch of the Dairy department. Eggs are being received at the rate of a 1000 dozen per week. Each case holds 20 dozen and 10, each egg being separated from its neighbour by an ingenious cardboard partition. A case holds five layers and the eggs reach the city not chipped, cracked or broken. On the left of the packing room a cool storage chamber capable of holding 5000 dozen eggs, has been provided. Adjoining it is the butter cool storage room with a holding capacity of from 5 to 6 tons. Both chambers have small sliding panels fitted in the outside walls for conveniently loading direct to the lorry for shipment. On entering the main building from the egg packing room the first thing of great interest to the cream supplier is the Babcock tester. This wonderful piece of mechanism, ascertains (after sulphuric acid has been added to the cream sample) the quality and quantity of butter the cream is capable of producing. The large churn was a centre of interest. It was quite an eye-opener to many to view a machine turning out 600 lbs. of butter in 20 minutes The cream is supplied to the churn from a large pasteurizer which gets rid of all bacteria. It can easily deal with 500 pounds of cream. A 20 h.p. Amis crude oil engine supplies power throughout the factory and a 35 boiler distributes the necessary hot water and steam to the various appliances. The Fram refrigerating compresser is a fine piece of machinery; very compact and powerful. The cold water storage supply tank with a 20,000 gallons capacity is built with reinforced concrete. A large windmill draws the water to an overhead tank from which it is conducted to the factory. A landing has been provided at the rear of the building where the supplies of cream were received and empty cans despatched. The visitors were delighted with the factory, the cleanliness observed throughout and the quality of the butter manufactured.
Mr. J. W. Shannon (Chairman of Directors) who, by-the-way, is an old Peninsulaite, and for sometime our representative in the House of Assembly, in a characteristic speech declared the build open. He emphasised the fact that the factory was not entirely a Stansbury concern. Folk all over the Peninsula took very great interest in it. It was neither his nor the Directors' property. It belonged to the shareholders, and it was to the interest to give it every support. This particular factory had been bred at Brentwood, and Mr. C. H. Boundy was the father of it. Mr. Boundy had put his thoughts into practice by putting his pen to paper, and a great deal of credit was due to him. The speaker also mentioned Mr, Pitt for the broadminded way in which he not only accepted their price for the building, but his subsequent purchase of shares of the full amount. Mr. Cook, the assistant manager, with limited space and capital had erected an up-todate, compact, and economical factory capable of making all the butter on Southern Yorke Peninsula for the next twenty-five years. He particularly asked farmers and dairymen to patronise the factory, and if they did so he had no fear of the ultimate result.
Later on, in responding to a vote of thanks, Mr. Shannon said he wished to pay a special compliment to Mr. C. Dry, who had built the reinforced concrete tank. He was sure it would last a lifetime. He asked those who were not shareholders to link up with the Union, which had passed its critical stage. The Union had withstood the storm for 31 years, and its success in the future was assured. He said a 6 per cent, dividend this year ought to mean a 12 per cent, one next year. He cordially invited shareholders who visited the city during Show week, to inspect their dairy factory at Mile End, which is superior to anything of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere. Mr. Fromen, manager of the Dairy Department, and Mr. A. J. Cooke, assistant manager, also spoke. The reports of their speeches, owing to limited space, have been held over until next issue. Light refreshments were provided in abundance at the Stansbury Institute. Mr. S. Threadgold has been appointed manager at Stansbury. He was assisted on Thursday by Mr. Bromley from Mile End.
Methodist Church Jubilee Celebrations. With a Short History of the Town and District.
On Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 10 and 11, the Jubilee Celebrations of the Stansbury Methodist Church were conducted. A large gathering was held in the Institute on Saturday afternoon. The Rev. H. F. Lyons (Superintendent of the Circuit) presided. In his opening remarks he greeted all the former residents of the district and pioneers of the church who were present with them at that gathering. He read several interesting letters from former members of the church who were unable to be present. The list included Mr. Sam. Pitt, one of the first trustees ; Mr. A. W. G. Pitt, who sent £5 towards the Jubilee expenses; Rev. J. H. Pointon, who sent hearty congratulations on the attainment of the Jubilee; and Rev. H. Miller, of Booleroo Centre, son of the late Mr. F. Miller, of Stansbury, who hoped they would have crowded assemblies. Mrs. Mary Biggs, who was 1500 miles away, wished the church every success in the future. Mr. W. A. Anderson, now resident in Sydney, who was present at the opening of the church, regretted that be could not be present at the gatherings. The Rev. R. Kelly, the pioneer minister of the church in 1874, sent an interesting letter of the early struggles and self-denial labors of the pioneers of the church. The Chairman asked any pioneers who were present to tell them about the early days. Mr. Schilling, who was present, remembered Stansbury as far back as 1871. He told an illuminating story of the beginnings of the town and church, and said the history of one was linked with the other. Mr. J. Sampson, of Edithburgh, remembered Stansbury 45 years ago, and told an interesting story of its ups and downs, of the life of the people, and the hardships of local preachers. Mr. A. Cornish and Miss Chester also spoke of the early days of the district. A message was received from the Rev. L. C. Carr, Baptist minister of Minlaton, and a short address was delivered by the Rev. V. H. Goldney, of the Yorketown Circuit A former minister of the Circuit, the Rev. R. H. Lee (the Jubilee preacher), was present, and gave an inspiring address. After a splendid high tea, provided by the ladies, the Institute was again crowded for Community Singing and "Old Time" chats. During the evening the Chairman read a most interesting speech from the Rev. John Blacket, who very vividly described the beginnings of church life in Stansbury. Mr. Blacket mentioned that he did most of his circuit work on horseback. He well remembers, during his journeys from Minlaton to Stansbury, seeing the emu running through the bush with her chicks, or a herd of kangaroos cross the track ahead of him. The Circuit horse, "Seaweed," was all there for a kangaroo hunt. Mr. Blacket mentioned the names of T. B. Wicks, J. Norman, R. Wilson, J. Barnes, J. Polkinshorne, A. J. Mills and J. Washington as good workers in the district. Mr. E. Hammond rendered a solo during the evening. On Sunday the church was packed morning and evening, when the Jubilee preacher (Rev. R. H. Lee) occupied the pulpit. The Young People's Service in the Institute in the afternoon was a great gathering and the Rev. H. F. Lyons. Superintendent of the Circuit, delivered an address on "Christ, the Door— to Salvation, to Security, to Liberty, to Satisfaction." Mr. Geo. Dodd was the organist at all the services. The services were all well attended. A very happy time was spent by young and old.
REV. ROBERT KELLY, 1S77.
REV. T. M. ROWE, 1S7S.
REV. H. F. LYONS, 3927. Superintendent of the Circuit.
REV. E. H. HARRISON', 1927 Assistant Minister,
STANSBCRY METHODIST CHURCH, Opened in December,
CHRISTIAN CHURCH, near Stansbury, Opened in December, 1875.
Early History of the District.
The Rev. H. F. Lyons prepared a very interesting story of the town and district, which was illustrated with views of the town and seaport and published in book form. The story is published below :
Oyster Bay, Stansbury was called in the early days, was so named because it was then one of the best oyster beds in Australian waters. For a number of years it gave employment to a fleet of 15 to 20 oyster dredges. The name changed by (Governor Musgrave in 1873). When he bestowed it present appellation he left no record as to he was honoring, beyond the fact that Mr. Stansbury was a friend of his.
Just 56 years ago in 1871, the Government of the day threw the country open for settlement. This land was to the westward of Oyster Bay, and comprised the district of Dalrymple and Ramsay. The blocks were quickly taken up, in less than three years every block being occupied. Prior to 1870 the country was used by the squatters, the shearing and wool sheds being right in the centre of what is now the township of Stansbury.
Aborigines were numerous in the early days, and Oyster Point was a black fellow camp. A few chains cast of the old jetty were several wurlies made of bushes and skins, each containing a black family and their dogs. By law the black were only allowed to keep two dogs per family, but the dogs increased so rapidly that they were often more numerous than the pocaninines. Once a year the local policeman had a day'd shooting making target of the dogs until their numbers accorded with two allowed by law. On these occasions the sorrow of the "lubras" over the slain was very great, for they seemed to think almost as much of the puppies as they did of the prccaninies. Oyster Bay was a land of plenty for the aborigines. They roamed the district in companies hunting with their dogs the kangaroos, rabbits, and other game so numerous then. To their "menu" they also added the fish and oysters which were plentiful in the Bay.
CHANGE OVER FROM SHEEP TO FARMING.
The land, comprising the new hundred was very densely coverer with large trees on top and very thickly populated with h:i!i-1' underneath. It needed grit and determination to tackle such country, especially with the primitive implements of those days. That the early settlers possessed these qualities is evident by the splendid way in which they overcame difficulties and brought the country into subjection. Mr R. D. Anderson is said to be one of the first men to take up land and grow wheat in the Hundred of Dalrymple Fifty years ago he gave Oaklands its name from the abundant growth of sheoaks he found there. The new settlers mostly came from the districts south of Adelaide. They endured much hardship in clearing and cultivating the land, but they won through. From small beginnings the agricultural prosperity of the district has grown, until today from 35,000 to 40,000 bags of grain are shipped away from Stansbury annually.
Stansbury is ideally situated overlooking St. Vincent's gulf. It boasts two jetties, a new and an old one, the former being used for shipping purposes and the latter for fishing, promenading and bathing. In 1874 the township consisted of a wool shed and three log huts with thatched roofs. Gradually the town and district has grown, until to-day Stansbury has a number of fine buildings and thriving business.
A well known resident of the town is Capt. John Germein. For 27 years he traded between Adelaide and Stansbury as master of "The Ceres" and for a few years prior to that he was the captain of the ketch "Edith Alice," which traded to Salt Creek. He retired from the sea in 1903
No souvenir dealing with Stansbury Church and district would be complete without reference to Pitt. Limited. The name of Pitt has been connected with Methodism for the last 80 years, and with the Stansbury Church since its inception, Mr. S. Pitt being one of the two original Trustees now living. Every office in the church open to laymen has been held by some member of this versatile family.
Somewhere about 1870-80 an enterprising pioneer built a lime kiln about four miles north of Stansbury, on the land now owned by Mr. Fiedler. This, and subsequent ventures at Coobowie and Edithburgh, was not a success. It remained for the Pitt family to start and maintain permanently the largest lime business on Yorke Peninsula. From three small kilns with a capacity of 540 bags, the business has grown to nine kilns with a capacity of 3,240 bags. This firm, since 1898, has sent from Yorke Peninsula to Adelaide about 2,000,000 bags of lime which, if placed end to end, would reach from Stansbury to Sydney.
Owing to the superior quality of Stansbury lime others soon entered into the industry. Mr. Miller transferred from Brighton to Stansbury, and started what now the big business of Miller's Lime Limited. Later Messrs. Bridges & Dry and others entered into the industry which has now become one of the principal industries of Yorke Peninsula.
THE ADELAIDE CEMENT COMPANY.
Out of the lime-burning business even a larger industry has grown. About 1904 Mr. A. W. G. Pitt read an advertising booklet, issued by Hernmoor, the large German cement makers, discribing the rise and growth of the big Hernmoor concern.
Hernmoor sen., began as a limeburner, but when his son came into the business they started making cement. Mr. pitt thought if one man could do that, then why not an other? In an attempt to make history repeat itself he pegged out mineral leases between Stansbury and Wool Bay. In 1911 he tried to form the Adelaide Lime and Cement Company but without success. In 1912 he turned his business into Pitt. Ltd, with the hope of making it large enough to handle the cement proposition but again failed. Nothing daunted in 1913 another try secured the assistance of the late Mr Chas. Wasley and Mr. Jos. Timms, both large contractors. Even then final success did not crown his efforts until the late Mr. J. C. Howard entered into the proposition then the Adelaide Cement Company became an accomplished fact. After two or three years shares in the company were held one third by Mr. Howard and his friends, one-third by Mr. Timms, and one-third by Mr. Pitt and his friends. Later others began to awake to the possibilities of the company and bought into it. As a result extensions were made, and the capital of the company increased, until today it stands at £ 160,000, controlling the most up-to-date cement quarry plant in Australia and a bulk handling plant second to none. A plant that can handle 600? tons from the bins to the barge under 23? hours. This enterprising business gives employment to a number of men, and thus does its part in making Stansbury and district what it is.
THE CHURCH AND MINISTRY.
The first church in the district was the "Christian Church'' better known as "The Little Glory”. It was opened for worship in December 1875, with Pastor J. Cornish in charge. Prior to it's opening, services were held in the homes around the district. Among those conducting such services were Pastors Cornish and Finlayson, Revs Bunny
and Teichelmann and Messrs C. Natt and C. Gore.
So far as the Methodist cause is concerned the Rev W. T. Carter was the first Minister in South Yorke Peninsula. He was at Yorketown in 1872. In 1874 Rev R. Kelly succeeded him. His circuit consisted of all Yorke Peninsula south of Moonta. He generated from Orrie Cowie to Edithburgh and from Yorketown to Kalkabury (Arthurton), taking in Ardrossan, Port Pearce, Maitland and Port Victoria. It was providential motor cars were unknown then for there was not a yard of made road in the whole area. The Rev Kelly, who was a fine horseman, first lived in the saddle.
Mr Kelly paid his first visit to Oyster Bay on May 14th, 1874 making enquiries. September 14th he again visited the people. On November 11th, 1874 his first services were held. There were 37 present in the afternoon and 50 at night. These first services were held at Mr Dunkley’s house. On June 27th, 1875 the next service was held and from then on services were held at regular intervals in the homes of the people. On February 3rd 1876, Mr Kelly first mooted the idea of building a church. The seed sown soon matured:- on March 5th, 1877 a trustee meeting was held, when it was proposed by Mr T. James and seconded by Mr R. Blackham, “That a church be built at Stansbury measuring 39ft by 27ft within, 17ft high, gables 12ft”. The resolution was carried. Rev T. M. Rowe, who succeeded Rev Kelly was at the chair. So far as daily records show those present were Rev T M Rowe (chairman), Messrs S Pitt (secretary) T James, R Blackham, W Lee.
At a meeting held June 11th, 1877 the following brethren were added to the Trust:- Messrs C G Teichelman, A T Watson, J Calder, jun and A Pope.
The tender of Meyer, Mc***** and Co was accepted for the mason work.
Mr Steans offered to find material and work of windows and doors with frames and timber and iron roof with quartering for £93. Needless to say this offer was accepted. It is interesting to compare the above price with what it would cost today!
On August 1st, 1877 the foundation stone of the church was laid. The proceeds from the offering and public tea meeting amounted to £12 11 11.
The church was duly opened for public worship on December 23rd, 1877, following by a tea meeting on December 25th. Messrs Calder and Pitt were responsible for the music for the opening services. Some little time after this, services were held at the public school house while the interior of the church was plastered. Rev J N Mills, who had succeeded Rev Rowe conducted the re-opening services on Sunday, July 14th, 1878, the speakers at the public meeting being Rev S G Hoperoft, and Messrs Woods, Cornish and Richards. Mr E Pitt was chairman of the public meeting.
Evidently they believed in doing things well in those days, for the re-opening services were continued on the following Sunday, July 21st, when the Rev Turner was invited to be the preacher.
In the Quarterly Meeting minutes there were two entries connected with the Stansbury Church. The first is dated June 26th 1878, “Resolved that two services be held at Stansbury on each Sabbath”. The second dated September 18th, 1878, “Resolved that a collection be made at Stansbury every alternate Sunday”. It was not until 1880 that collections were received at each service. The first society stewards of the church were Mr A Pope and Mr T James, the first church stewards being Mr S Pitt. The first lady organist was Miss Willshire, who was succeeded by Mrs Way, of Curramulka, then Miss Wauchope in 1879. Others who have served the church in this capacity are Henry Pitt, the late Edwin Green, Mrs A Bowman and Mrs E Bowman, and the present organist, Mr G Dodd. The present memorial organ was given to the church by Mrs Archie Anderson of Wool Bay.
Miss N Anderson and Mr Ed Newman (brother of the late Rev C T Newman) were also organists of the Church. Mr H C Pitt was general stop-gap for 30 years.
THE SUNDAY SCHOOL
Paster Teichelmann opened the first Sunday School in the district in his own home about 1873. The early superintendents of the school in the church were Messrs A Pope, Chas. Watt, A H Sprigg, F Norsworthy, and others of whom we have no record. The school lapsed for some little time. Then Mrs Hickman, sen. and Mr A Bowman carried it on for a short while. It lapsed again when Mr A F Sprigg re-opened it with 12 scholars about 23 years ago, since when, like a lusty child, it has continued to grow. Today it has a staff of 12 teachers and officers and 100 scholars. Other names connected with the early staff of the Sunday School were:- Mesdames Jones, Lee and Pope, the Messrs Kerr and Anderson, Messrs Chaby, C Wauchope, G Dunkley and H C Pitt. Later, from 1910, we find the names changing, some of those active in the school work being Mr and Mrs A E Bowman, D E Sprigg, Miss C Pitt, Mr S Bridges, W Parsons and also Miss C Parsons. Miss Ella Norsworthy was the first in charge of the kindergarten - 1914-15.
At the present time the Sunday School is in a very healthy condition. it is one of the few schools that can today boast of a fine superior class of young men and women. The present superintendent is Mr A F Bowman who succeeded Mr G Dodd.
From the pioneer minister, Rev Robert Kelly, to present time - Robert Kelly (***), T M Rowe, J N Mills, W Dawson, T R Angwin, J Blacket, James Read, John Gillingham, G Hall, A
J H Goss, John Nairn, Harry Chester, D S Wylie, S J Martin, R H Lee, H T Rush, * * M****, W P Wil****, D * Harris, J H P***** and H F Lyons.
Amongst others the following young men also labored in the circuit residing at Stansbury - * A P*****, F Pryor, * F *****, F G *****, J Perry, F J Barnes, W ******, W J N Brasher and E H Harrison.
Every one of these young men is a Minister of the Methodist Church today.
Mr Hooper resided in the district and rendered excellent helps a local preacher.
Rev T M Rowe, Chairman, S Pitt, Secretary, T James, R Blackham and W Lee. The following were added prior to opening of the church: - C G Teichelman, A T Wilson, J Calder, jun. (treasurer), and A Pope.
A E Bowman, W J Anderson, H J Friedrichs, G S Bridges, W G Natt, F O Bowman, P A Anderson, J Sherriff, J R Oliver, G Dodd (secretary), J A Bridges, D A Agnew and A E Anderson.
Among those intimately connected with the early history of Stansbury Church should be mentioned the following families: - Dunkley, Pitt, James, Pope, Jones, Waterhouse, Parsons, Latter, Natt, Klien, Teichelman, Newman, Lee, Jones, Anderson, Norsworthy.
A little later we find others making Stansbury their spiritual home:- Bowman, Hickman, Sprigg, Thomas, Sampson, Bridges, Agnew, Miller, Sherriff, Forrest, Piggott, Mutton, Oliver, Crouch, Daniels, Buttfield, Halliday, Dodd, Sprigg, and Friedrichs. the present membership of the church is 59.
Among the organisations connected with the church life should be mentioned the Friday Fellowship meeting and the Ladies Guild. The “Fellowship” was formed as the result of an evangelistic mission conducted by the Rev H Lyons, then Conference evangelist, in May, 1922. For the past five years it has been a source of spiritual strength to the Church, and a means whereby the brethren of the Christian Church and the Stansbury Methodists have regular fellowship with each other.
The Guild is also of recent formation. It is extremely active in raising money for the church purposes and attending to the social functions connected therewith. Prior to the jubilee the whole church has been renovated and cared for, the funds for same being provided by the Ladies’ Guild.
For 50 years the church has stood overlooking the Gulf, a memorial to our predecessors' faith in God. Down the years it has been an influence for good; eternity alone will tell what it has done in a moral and spiritual sense for the town and district.' May the streams of spiritual influence continue to flow from it for many years to the moral enrichment of the whole community. Brethren,
”God is with us, God is with us! So our brave forefathers sang; Far across the field of battle Loud their holy war-cry rang; Never once they feared nor faltered, Never once they: ceased to sing-God is with us, God is with us; Christ our Lord shall reign as King! Great the heritage they left us, Great the conquests to be won, Armed hosts to meet and scatter, Larger duties to be done; Raise the song they nobly taught us, Round the wide world let it ring— God is with us, God is with us; Christ our Lord shall reign as King!