... Yorketown Home Page ...
Yorketown Cemetery Index Website
Melville Hundred Map Website
Books about Yorketown
The Anglican Parish of South Yorke Peninsula, 1864-1983 : a history of the Anglican Church covering the period of 1864 to 1983, in the Mission and Parish of South Yorke Peninsula / compiled for the centenary of St. George's Church Yorketown, by L.P.G. Smith. (1983)
District Council of Yorke Peninsula - History of Yorketown
Yorketown takes its name from the Peninsula*. *Place Names of Australia.
In the early days the settlers called it "Weaners Flat," it being the locality where the pastoralists separated the lambs from the ewes*. *Four Make One, Page 16.
In 1876 the name was changed to Yorketown.
At one time it was suggested it be named Salt Lake City, for within the 12.8 kilometres (8 miles) of Yorketown are approximately 200 salt lakes. These lakes range from .405 hectare (1 acre) to the 972 hectare (2400 acre) Lake Fowler, which is about 3 miles long*. *The Ill Shaped Leg, Page 112.
In 1890 a refinery commenced operations at Birkenhead and for many years the locality prospered with the scraping, bagging and transporting of salt from the lakes to Coobowie where there was a storage shed capable of holding 4000 tonnes*. *Four Make One, Page 39.
The industry flourished until 1927 when the production dropped progressively lower until it ceased altogether in the 1950's when the Australian Salt Co. Ltd. closed its refinery at Edithburgh.
It was stated by Mr. von Bertouch that the distances from Yorketown to other places on the Peninsula, as the crow flies, were as follows:—"To Government townships, Coobowie (Salt Creek), 7 miles; Pickering, 8 1/2 miles; Stanbury, 13 miles; Edithburgh, 9 miles; Honiton (Diamond Lake), 6 1/4 miles; Minlaton (Gum Flat), 17 miles. Private townships—Port Moorowie, 7 1/2 miles; Warooka, 11 1/2 miles; Oaklands, 5 1/4 miles; Moorowie (head station), 7 1/4 miles; Penton Vale, 3 1/2 miles; Orrie Cowie, 16 1/2 miles; Tucock Cowie, 10 1/2 miles. The distance between Minlaton and Stansbury was 14 1/2 miles, and between Edithburgh and Stansbury 12 miles.
Yorketown street scene 1860? - State Library of South Australia - B 26682
View of Yorketown, Yorke Peninsula 1890 - State Library of South Australia - B 11474
Melville Hotel, Yorketown 1891 - State Library of South Australia - B 9707
View of the single storey Yorketown Town Hall, with a small, picket-fenced church with a high gable roof of corrugated iron, and then a second public building with low stone fence. A solitary street lamp stand outside the town hall. 1900 - State Library of South Australia - B 72833
[General description] View along the Edithburg Road to the Melville Hotel in the distance. Shops line the road with part of the Town Hall being seen on the right. The Yorketown Bakery is run by B.H. Farrow. [On back of photograph] 'Yorketown / The Edithburgh Road / 1932 / Reproduced in Chronicle for September 22, 1932'
State Library of South Australia - B 8279
[General description] This view shows the Melville Hotel (c. 1871) situated on the intersection at the centre of the township. It is a large two storey stone building with iron lace decorated verandahs. Mrs. Nellie M. Johnson is the licensee at this time. [On back of photograph] 'Yorketown / The main street / 1932 / Reproduced in Chronicle for September 22, 1932' - State Library of South Australia - B 8281
Lutheran church, Yorketown 1880 - State Library of South Australia - B 11716
Masonic Hall Yorketown was established in 1910 and stood on the Edithburgh Road 1932 - State Library of South Australia - B 8307
Town Hall, Yorketown was built after a donation of the site was made by Dr. M Erichsen in memory of his late father, a former mayor of Yorketown. According to the Advertiser 4th March 1947 the new Town Hall would contain a main hall, supper room, smoker's lounge and a stage 1932
State Library of South Australia - B 8308
Family picnic after a car rally from Maitland [see B21276] 1911 - State Library of South Australia - B 21279
A bush picnic at Yorketown, far right is Rich Thomas McFarlane storekeeper 1913 - State Library of South Australia - B 46268/48
A farmer with a team of four horses working the soil with a piece of farming equipment made from wood, used for harrowing 1887
State Library of South Australia - B 59551
Yorketown Area School
Date Range: by 1914 - ct Inventory of Series Description
Yorketown Area School is a rural school located on the Yorke Peninsula situated approximately 220kms from Adelaide. The school was started in approx 1878 as a primary school and changed to Yorketown Higher Primary in 1933. It became an area school in 1943. In 1976 the school was relocated to new premises on the eastern side of town.
It now  has approx 240 students and also caters for community needs with a community library and gym. The school provides education from reception to year 12 students.
Contents Date Range Series Date Range Number of Units Public Access Series Id Series Title
1914 - 1987 1914 - 1987 3 Part Open GRS/9252 Admission registers - Yorketown Area School
Yorketown Area School
EARLY HISTORY OF THE YORKETOWN SCHOOLS
In 1874 Mr. E. S. Schroeder was appointed as Head Teacher of a newly-opened school at Weaner's Flat. This was the early name for Yorketown, and was so called because the locality was an ideal "weaning station" for pastoralists.
Yorketown School was opened in 1876 with Mr. Schroeder as Head Teacher. There was private school at Oaklands as early as May, 1878. The Departmental School was opened in July, 1881, with Mr. Kennedy as H.T.
The Mount Melville Provisional School opened in September, 1878, with ten pupils on the roll. This school was re-named as Sunbury in 1889.
In November, 1878, the Diamond Lake School was established with Mr. Hayes as the flrst teacher in charge. From 1888 this school was known as Honiton.
The Lake Sunday School was opened in December 1881, with Miss H. Miller as Head Teacher.
PIONEER & EXPLORER'S DAY This year the school is anxious to hear from early pupils of the Yorketown School. All who attended in the year 1901 are especially invited to be present at the school on Monday afternoon, April 30th. at 1.45 p.m.
This is the most thriving township in the southern portion of Yorke's Peninsula, and bids fair to become a place of importance. It is well situated about 10 miles from Edithburgh, in the midst of a good agricultural country. It can boast of over a hundred buildings, private and public, and a new Post and Telegraph Office is just near completion. It has a mill, a Bank a number of stores, two or three places of worship, a resident surgeon (Dr. Vonnida), and two excellent hostelries (Wicklein's and Rossiter's). The former serves as a Court-House, and one of its passages is a budding Chancery-lane, as members of the legal fraternity have chambers there. Half-a-dozen new rooms are to be added to this hotel shortly, to accommodate the increasing business.
When we arrived, being market-day, the place was very busy auction sales of cattle and implements had been held, and buyers and sellers were fraternising, ere they separated for their several homes. The crops in this district promise to yield an average of 12 or 16 bushels to the acre, but some early-sown crops on new land will turn out a great deal more. Rust has scarcely been seen here, and has done little or no damage. There have been some, fine, paddocks of hay; we were shown one of 160. acres, the owner of which-was offered £400 for the standing crop. He accepted the offer, and it is said that the buyer also made a good thing out of the transaction. Leaving Yorketown we drove past Sunbury—a village of two tenements—to Moorowie head station, where we remained the night and enjoyed the hospitalities of Mr. G. Phillips, J.P., but as we put in at Moorowie again on the return journey I shall have a few words to say in reference to that place lower down. Moderately early on Sunday morning we left the station and crossed the Moorowie Swamp, a barren waste, where tradition has it that two dozen bullocks were required to drag an empty dray out of the bog, and many other teams have come to worse grief. Though there is a crisp crust of thin salt and limestone at this season of the year, the swamp is exceedingly treacherous in the winter, and forms an almost impassable barrier to traffic. A sum of £1,900 is to be expended by the Government in making two miles of road across this swamp, and certainly no money could be better expended, as a very large tract of country beyond to the south-west is almost cut off from civilization by tliis dismal expanse of salt and scrub, which extends to the foot of the Peesey Ranges. To wind one's way up the latter, and see the rich soil and tine fields of wheat, the homesteads that peep out here and there in the landscape, and the evidences of prosperity that surround one on all sides, is like going from darkness to daylight, or from the depths of poverty to affluence, when the comparison is drawn between the Peesey Ranges and the Moorowie Swamp. From the top of the hill a fine view is obtained of Hardwicke Bay and the jetty at Point Turton. Here is located the Township of...
a distance of seven or eight miles. Here I received a repetition of the same treatment as before, and learned many interesting facts relative to that part of the country where Mr. Phillips has been settled for some 26 years. The station is the property of Mr. Wm. Fowler, of Yaroo, and comprises 16,000 acres. The soil is light, with limestone near the surface and blue clay beneath. The station is well watered with never-failing springs, and watering places for the cattle are made by simply sinking two or three feet, and constructing a dam. Excellent Merino sheep and some Lincoln crossbreds are reared here, and the station bears the evidence of being well managed. Mr. Phillips appears to have completely solved the problem of how to get rid of the rabbit pest. He paid £9-per block for four square miles, on which the rabbits were exterminated in one month by the contractor, with two extrahands and some dogs. His modus operandi was to dig down a funnel-shaped hole into the burrows, and cut the leads. The rabbits were smothered in the light soil, and very few got out alive. Those that escaped from the holes were caught by the dogs, and now there is not a rabbit to be seen on the four square miles of country, while they are numerous enough on the adjoining blocks. Mr. Phillips estimates that he can get the whole run cleared of the pest at a cost of £1 5s. per hundred acres, and if so this information will be valuable to other station-holders. Our last place of inspection on the Peninsula was PORT MOOROWIE.
SOUTHERN YORKE'S PENINSULA.
Yorketown is considerably larger and a much more pretentious place than Edithburgh. The two hotels are well kept, clean, and very comfortable. The stores are large and substantial, and most of the dwelling homes stand in the centre of well-arranged flower gardens. The town is admirably laid out, and its clean and orderly condition reflects credit on the authorities. The courthouse is a handsome building, and so also is the post and telegraph office. Mr. Mathews, the local postmaster, is an intelligent and enthusiastic naturalist and botanist, and devotes most of the little spare time he has not only to storing his own mind with useful information, but in seeking to cultivate in the minds of others a love of science for its own sake. To judge of the morality of the place, from the number of churches one is led to suppose it must, or ought to be very high. There are six places of worship—Roman Catholic, Anglican, Wesleyan, Baptist, and two Lutheran. The State school is a plain neat building, and has accommodation for about eighty children. The local flour mill is reputed to have beaten Adelaide flour out of the market, and Mr. Nankervis, its owner, has spared no expense so as to produce a good article. The town generally has the appearance of comfort, is compact, and contains the largest population of any place on the peninsula south of Moonta. It is also centrally situated, and most of the surrounding country is of average quality. A few fruit and vegetable gardens have been started in the immediate neighborhood, and so far have succeeded well. About five miles east of Yorketown lies Penton Vale, an agricultural area, in which is situated the village of Oaklands. Not much of this district has been laid under cultivation, but the few pad-docks to be seen look well, and about ten bushels per acre are expected. Most of the land about here is used for sheep-grazing, and is owned by Messrs. Anstey & Giles, who are old settlers.
YORKETOWN. Twelve Pioneers of S.Y.P. Ages Total Over 1,000 Years
It is interesting to note that the twelve names recorded below are well known residents of Southern Yorke Peninsula, whose combined ages total 1,012 years.
These hardy old pioneers have borne the heat and burden of the day, and we appreciate what they have done in making: Southern Yorke Peninsula a fit place in which to live. Most of them have been in the district for over 50 years.
No doubt there are other residents in districts where the "Pioneer" circulates of whom we have not particulars,
whose names could well be included in this list. Perhaps our readers will help us to make up another dozen. Whether one dozen or two, we wish them all every happiness in their declining years:—
Mr. J. F. C. Gutsche, - 83 years
Mr. J. Hoile, - 87 years
Mrs. Hewton, sen, - 90 years
Pastor Hoopmann, - 88 years
Mrs. Hoopmann, - 81 years
Mr. H. F. Koop, - 80 years
Mr. O. Klem, - 86 years
Mr. J. Nation, - 83 years
Mrs. W. Riddle, - 82 years
Mr. O. G. Rechner, - 83 years
Mr. C. Twartz, - 86 years
Mr. A. Thomson, - 83 years
Total --------------1,012 years.