... Coobowie Home Page ...

  • _1160820
  • P1190659
  • P1190678
  • P1190673
  • P1190674
  • P1190676
  • P1190665
  • _DSC4513
  • P1190699
  • P1190702
  • _DSC4514
  • P1190697
  • _DSC5423
  • _DSC5415
  • _1160823
  • Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 10.37.18 am
  • _DSC4510
  • _DSC4479
  • _DSC4477
  • _DSC4478
  • _DSC4481
  • _DSC4482
  • _DSC4485
  • _DSC4483
  • _DSC4487
  • _DSC4491
  • _DSC4493
  • _DSC4498
  • _DSC4496
  • _DSC4499
  • _DSC4501
  • _DSC4504
  • coobowie

District Council of Yorke Peninsula - History of Coobowie

The locality was originally called "Deception Bay" by the Government Auctioneer, Robert Cock and a Dr. R. G. Jameson, who in 1838 explored the land surrounding "a beautiful semi-circular bay." They explored for 40 kilometres inland but did not find fresh water. They felt they had been deceived by the beautiful surroundings - hence the appellation*. *Four Make One, Page 2.

It was the original landing spot for early settlers and their stores which were brought over by ketch; because of the tidal inlet it was once known as "Salt Water Creek."* The present name "Coobowie" is the name the aborigines knew it by the means "Wild Fowl and Water."** *The Cyclopedia of South Australia, Page 688, Volume 2. *Cockburn's Nomenclature of South Australia.

It is here where Inspector Tolmer, of the South Australian Police Force, captured 3 bushrangers who had escaped from Tasmania after shooting 2 policemen. They had boarded a whaler and when the vessel was in the vicinity of Kangaroo Island, they had stolen a boat from the ship. After investigation Tolmer captured the men and they were transported back to Tasmania where they were subsequently hanged*. *The Ill Shaped Leg, Page 18.

The old causeway, built in 1878 at a cost of $1080, shortened the journey around the bay by 7.2 kilometres*. *Four Make One, Page 20. The town was officially dedicated on 7 January 1875.

B-31797

Loaded horse-drawn wagons pulled up outside the Coobowie Hotel - State Library of South Australia - B 31797


COOBOWIE Methodist Church Diamond Jubilee 1936

Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954), Friday 6 November 1936, page 4

An entry in the Minute Book of Circuit states: "The Rev. W. T. Carter was appointed by the District Meeting, held in Adelaide, October, 1871. Arrived the following month, November 2nd." This was a court similar to the present District Synod, and it appears that Mr. Carter's appointment was not a Conference appointment at that time,'but a district appointment. The Troubridge Wesleyan Methodist Circuit was formed a few months later, April 1st, 1872. From 1855 to 1873 the Wesleyan Methodist Church in South Australia was under the care of Chairmen of Districts appointed by the Australasian Wesleyan Methodist Conference. The State Conference was first held in 1874. Upon the formation of the Circuit, 1872, three places were included, Bald Hills, Finnis Flat, and Hardwicke Bay. At the March meeting of 1874 other places were included in the Circuit, among them being; Salt Creek, which had a membership return of 3. At the December meeting of that year the membership increased to 6. In the December quarter of 1875 membership rose to 11, and the name of the place changed from Salt Creek to Coobowie (though it is often referred to even nowadays as "The Creek.") In the Circuit books there is no record of the changing of the name of the Circuit from Troubridge to Yorketown. It being done between December, 1876, and March, 1877, it must have been effected by the Conference of 1877.

During 1876 a move was made by the Coobowie people to build a Chapel. The work was undertaken by a Mr. Bartram, Senr., and his soft, John Bartram. The plastering of the building was carried out by Mr. Hall. In the Circuit Minutes of December 13th, 1876, the question: "What anniversaries shall be held?" the answer included "Coobowie opening service." The opening service took place on Christmas Day, 1876, during the ministry of Rev. T. M. Rowe, and ever since that time the Church has filled no mean place in the life of the Circuit. The same building is used for worship now. Many valued officers served in that Church, and some from there filled the highest office in our Methodist Church which is open to a layman, that of Circuit Steward, among them being Mr. Woods, Mr. John Bartram, and later Mr. H. J. Vigar.

The first to be married in the new Church were Mr. Woods and Miss Rattley, who received from the Trustees the Hymn Book and Bible. The original Trustees were John Woods, William R. Woods, John Bartram, Jonathan Rattiey, Henry Bartram, L. Mann and Arie DeKivett. No new appointments to the trust were registered until 1931, when a new declaration was made with the names of C. B. Stead, A. N. Brook, C. Rattley, H. J. Vigar, and C. R. Bartram forming the Trust. In 1935 A. N. Brook resigned by reason of his leaving the district, and the following were added: — C. K. Farrow. G. P. Daniell, and E. H. Daniell. This constitutes the present Trust. Mr. C. B. Stead is Secretary.

For 60 years that Church has filled a very important part in the life of our people at Coobowie, and it can confidently be said it was never more energetic than at this present time.

Ministers who have served Coobowie Church in the Circuit have been: — Revs. W. T. Carter, 1872-4; Robt. Kelly, 1874-6; T. M. Rowe, 1876-7; Johnson James, 1877-8; S. S. Moncrieff, 1878-9; W. Reed, 1879-82; J. H. Trevorrow, 1882-4; B. G. F.dwards, 1884-5; E. Edineades, 1885-8; J. J. Nicholls, 1888-91; John Blacket, 1891-3; G. E. Wheat ley, 1893-6; C. H. Nield, 1896-9; J. J. Nicholls, 1899-1902; W. B. Mather, 1902-5; J. C. Hughes, 1905-8; F.. W. Caust, 1908-11; W. T. Wiltshire, 1911-14; E. Arnold, 1914-17; H. W. Jew, 1917-20; C. B. Holmes, 1920-23; W. Glen Clarke, 1923-27; V. H. Goldney, 1927-30; J. C. Barrett, 1930-33; J. C. Oliver, 1933-36; G. C. Hutchinson, 1936-.

THE SUNDAY SCHOOL HALL. During the Jubilee year a move was made to erect a school and social hall upon the Church property. It has been a long-felt need, and in spite of many difficulties at first, has been brought to a very successful conclusion. The Ladies' Guild donated £108 as a nucleus fund to the trust on the express understanding it was to be for that purpose. During 1936 a start was made and the Hall built. It was opened by Rev. G. C. Hutchinson on July 31st. Much time and material was given by trustees and others. The mason work was undertaken by Mr. C. B. Stead. The main part of timber and iron work was carried out by working bees. Mr. Waller did the painting as a donation. Owing to the great number of people who returned for the Diamond Jubilee celebrations, the services had to be held in the new Hall, the afternoon service registering well over 200 present.

The Ladies' Guild was formed in May, 1932, for the purpose of agisting Trust finances, and in four years approximately £160 has been raised by that body. The first President was Mrs. H. J. Vigar, first Secretary, Mrs. A. N. Brook. Present officers: President, Mrs. C. C. Hutchinson; Secretary, Miss Enid Vigar.

The Coobowie Sunday School was opened in 1874, with 17 scholars and 4 teachers and officers. Superintendents have been: Messrs. John Bartram George Bartram, Ted Inglis, Percy Daniell, —. Diprose, C. B. Stead, A. N. Brook, Mrs. C. Rattley, and for the past 8 years M. H. J. Vigar has filled that office.

Local preachers from that Church have been Messrs. John Bartram, J. Woods and son, W. R. Woods, A. D. Byrne, Alf. Bartram, L. G. Bartram, and Rex. Brook.

NAMES IN VISITORS BOOK AT DIAMOND JUBILEE GATHERING.

Adelaide--Mrs. C Juers; Mrs. A. Riddle; Mrs. C S. Johnson, Prospect; Mr. and Mrs. A. H. Bartram; Mrs. E. W. Pryor; Mrs. A. K. Wilkinson; Mr. and Mrs. R. S. Jolly; W. M. Halliday; Mr. and Mrs. P. H. Daniell; Mrs. C. B. Stead, Broadview; M rs. H. M. Lightbody, Broadview; George Plummer, Royal Park; Mrs. Bills; Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Stead; Mr. Ray Newbold, Adelaide; R. A. Guthrie. Largs Bay; E. F. Daniell, Rose Park; M. Newman. Malvern. S. F. Goodale, Blackwood: J. Bridges, Maylands.

Georgetown—Mr. and Mrs. E. C. Nankivell, Mr. G. and Miss Nankivell.

Stansbury—Mr. and Mrs. Roy Nankivell, Mr. and Mrs. Edgar L. Nankivell. Mr. and Mrs. H. M. Nankivell, Mr. and Mrs. J. J. Nankivell, Mr. A. D. Farrow, Mr. and Mrs. W. Rattley. Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Bridges Miss Dorothy Nankivell, E. G. Rattley, Mr. and Mrs. Natt.

Minlaton—Mrs. 1). Cloak, Mrs. L. W. Glazbrook, Mrs. Waller Riddle. George Glazbrook.

Strathalhyn-Mr. and Mrs. A. V. Brook, Mr. and Mrs. E. f». Brook, Mr. and Mrs. Austin Brook.

Pickering—K. Daniell, Mr. and Mrs. F. Daniell, Miss G. M. Daniell. Mr. and Mrs. A. G. Daniell Mrs. Plaisted. C. G. Daniell. Mr. and Mrs. E. W. Eichner. Miss K. Eichner. Mr. Max Eichner. R. S. Daniell, K. J. Scott, Mrs. A. E. Plummer.

Warooka—Mr. and Mrs. A. W. Murdock, G. Sheppard.

Brentwood—Miss J. Rule, Mr. William Hoile, Mrs. C. Boundy.

Tarlee—Mrs. Les. Crouch.

Edithburgh—Mr. J. C. Bartram, Mr. and Mrs. L. G. Bartram, Miss Elva Plummer, Mrs. J. Golden, Mrs. J. Jordon. Mrs. L. Rose, Mr. and Mrs. E. H. Bramley, Mr. and Mrs. James Rose, Mr. and Mrs. T. W. Hancock, Miss Fay Hancock. Mr. G. Hancock, Miss Sheila Hancock, Miss Roberts, Mrs. Bales, Mr. and Mrs. R. Caldwell, Mr. W. K. Edward, Mr. and Mrs. L. Johnson, R. A. Hancock, R. E. Hancock, Miss Jean Bartram, Mrs. A. A. Bartram.

Urania—Mr. and Mrs. Ern Hoile.

Oaklands—Mr. and Mrs. H. B. Robinson, Mr. and Mrs. A. E. Anderson. Miss Gwen Anderson.

Bublacowie—Mr. and Mrs. Eric Anderson.

Geranium—Mr. and Mrs. A. N. Brook.

Sandilands—Mr. and Mrs. Jack Nankivell.

Mallala—Miss M. Davies

New South Wales—Miss Gladys Anderson.

Yorketown—Mr. J. Grivell, Mr. Mrs. and Miss Wright, Mr. and Mrs. Len. Newboid, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Newbold, Mr. and Mrs J. H. McKenzie, Mr. and Mrs. R. Wilkinson, Mr. and Mrs. Ern Warren, Mr. Jim Warren, Mr. Les. Wilkinson, Miss Joyce Wilkinson, J. Croser, E. Mitchell, Mr. and Mrs. E. W. Bartram, Miss Johnson, Mr. and Mrs. Stan. Johnson, Miss Nance Wilkinson, Miss Jean Wilkinson, Miss Laureen Jaehne, Mr. and Mrs. W. Bartram, Mr. L. Mitchell, M. R. Riddle, Miss E. Edwards, Mrs. L. May.


Hanging Over Cliff

News (Adelaide, SA : 1923 - 1954), Saturday 18 August 1923, page 1

Motor Car and river in Peril :' While motoring home from Stansbury to Coobowie onSaturday night, Mr. Rol, Nankivell had a miraculous escape through the steering gear of the car jamiming. The road runs parallel to the top of a limestone cliff, about 10 yards from the edge, and when the steering became defective the car headed for the cliff. Mr. Nari kivell put the brakes hard on, but the front wheels went over the edge. The bottom of the gearbox caught on the rock and stopped further progress. In this precarious position the car, a Cubitt, hung until the following day, threatening to fall down on to the beach below at any moment. Next morning many willing hands assisted to recover it, but this was not accomplished until shcer. legs and hoisting tackel had been brought into use. The car suffered little damage.

photo

But for the gearbox the car would have plunged over the cliff to the beach below.


COOBOWIE. OPENING OF COOBOWIE JETTY.

At. 3 o'clock on Friday, August 7, 1925, the new jetty at Coobowie wa« officially opened by Mr E. A. Fatqiih,.r (Chairman of the Harbors Bo:ir ). Mr. E. H. Giles, J.P , Cbaivmpii of the Melville District Council, and al.-o Chairman of the Coobowie Jetty Commii tee, in introducing Mr Faiqnliar, said it was for all present an interesting occasion They had 1 oked for this event for some 20 years He referred to the period when jetty tolls had been collected at Coobowie, although at that time they were without shipping facilites in the way of a jetty or wharf. After a deal of agitation the charges were removed. The people were at that time, as now, quite prepared to pay jetty dues if they had jetty facilities He was pleased to say the Harbors J3o&rd had now'provided them widi a jetty that tvill meet their requirements for some time to come. He had pleasure in asking Mr. Farquhar to declare the j-'-tty open. The Chairman of the Harbors Board said it gave him great pleasure to bt present that afternoon. Coobowie was probably the oldest port on the Peninsula, and was the last to be provided with harbor facilities. The jetty had cost a great deal, and he hoped it would be used by the residents and farmers. The Board's motto was "No service without charge and no charge without Bervice." Thv old Hath e Board by-law of jetty tqlls being levied at all shipping places within three miles of a-jetty was brought into force because in several places lesidents had asked for a j<tt.tv and after it bad been erected they had shipped alongside of it instead of ns'ng the equipment provid d. The speaker mentioned that, the M nihr>rs for the District (M<ss-s. Al'eii ami Tossell) had worked hai'd for the jetty, and had been chain pi ns f> r Coobowie. He had very great, pleasure in declaring the jetty officially opened There was a large crowd of residents and visitors present. After the opening ceremony an adjournment was made to the Institute Hall, where light refresNriicji s were partoken and several toasts honored. Sir. E H. Giles pr- s di d, and among thofre present were the following gentlemen : —Messrs E. A. Farquhar (Chairman of Harbors Board), it de N. Lucas (Harbors Engineer), W J P. Taylor {Secretary Harbors Board), Messrs H. G. Tossell and P. AIM, M's P., H. Bartram, T. Croser (CoO bow'e Harbor Master), Capt. Patterson (Edithburgh Haibor Master), J. W. Bartram (Pas'master, Coobowie), B. Kinnnte, Cr. B. H. Farrow \Yorke town Corporation), L G. B.-irtrav,-W. Diprose, and R. Wilkinson. After the loyal toast had been honored Mr. R. Kinnane proposed " The Parliament of South Australia." In dtrng so he said he fe!t sure that if it had not been for thi efforts of Messrs Allen and Tossell there wonl I have beeifno j U.y at t'oobowic that day. Both gentlemen bad been most persiatent, and it w.is mainly duo to their effort that the jetty had been erected. He referred to the splendid work done by both Members in connec:io:s with the Yorketown School and Hospitiil and the Edithburgh Road Messrs. Allen andTosrell res(>ondej, and bath expreFsed pleasnre at bt-ing present at such a fine ga'hering, and at ti e interest taken in the jetty. Mr. Tossell, in proposing " The Haibors Boirl," snid thoy weie indebted to that Department for illjetty. As tho Board was at presvnt (Mnstituteil it g nt-rally took a wiMe view of requests fiom outports fi,r harbor facilities. Mr. Farquhar acknowledged tin toast, and said he had bet n anketl why the Bleamer that brought th^m over tho Gulf had gone to E ithbuigh aud not to Coobowie. As the boat, drew 11 feet he had been wondering which %vould be cheaper to bring the beat to the jetty or take the j"ttv to the bjttt. He again wished them success, and hoped the jolty would meet their rtquiremeut*. Mr. B H Farrow proposed "Tl-e Pore of Coobowie," and in doing so congratulated the J» tly Committee cn the way they had worked to get the.structura erected Mr. Henry Bertram, who lived for 50 years at Coobowie, was p'eaeid to be pi-esent. He felt like coming back to the old fcpolt. He wished them good luck, end hoped the fir nre would repay them for all the gosd work th<^ had done. Mr. E H Giles responded on behalf of the Committee. He said Coobowie was the oldest port in the immediate neighborhood. He could remember being told of an incident that occurred about 1840, when a sailor was found by the late Charles Patrington attempting to make a rude raft to ship himself firm Salt Creek (the pit sent Coobowie) to Port Adelaide. From rhoee dt-js until the present Coobowie had been ai>ii>ppiug port. He was sorty that Mr. A. N. Byrar, oiii* of she original movers f,«r t he ei t.ct.ion of a jetty, had be< n un ble tu he present. Alt', (iilt.s canoludcd a very in:erecting hp ech hj* hoping that before pext grain season the husiu would be deepened on the sea end of the jetty, and thus allow the larger ci aft to load. At the iiibtanca of Mr Peter Allen the health of the .letty Committee, Chairman, and Ladies was heartily diuulf A public tea meeting followed, and was well patronised In th<; evening the Coobowie Cricket Club si ciai aud d ince took place.


An Early Resident MR. HENRY BARTRAM, J.P., OF COOBOWIE. A Peninsula Pioneer.

It is interesting to note that Mr. Henry Bartram, of Coobowie, who celebrated his 83rd birthday on December 20, 1933, came to Southern Yorke Peninsula in 1872. He was then 21 years of age and drove a team of six bullocks from Bald Hills, Yankalilla, for the late Archibald Anderson, and was paid 12/- per week for the job. Mr. Anderson accompanied him and they arrived at Wool Bay, and they found plenty of sheoak trees, but no huts or houses of any kind. After putting up a little iron room, Mr. Anderson, who had brought with him an iron Scotch plow with one wheel, yoked up the bullock team and tested the land with three rounds. As he did not like the stony nature of the ground, he packed up and went back to Vankalilla. He came to an arrangement with Mr. Bartram. who took the place on shares. Mr. Anderson found implements. bullocks, and seed wheat for the first year. In the third year there was a good crop and Mr. Bartram was still using the bullocks and plow; he had a boy driving the bullocks while he manipulated the plow. He later took up blocks on his own account next to Hickev's Point and at Coobowie. He purchased the land at Coobowie from the late Mr. Aldenhoven, who owned the first and only flour mill at Yorketown. In 1872 Mr. Bartram took a trip to Normanville. He went across to Glenelg in a fishing boat, then known as "R.M.S. Sultana" and sailed by Mr. Martin. They left Edithburgh at l.:30 p.m. and were at Glenelg before sun down. Later on the "Sultana" called at Normanville and picked up Mr. and Mrs. Bartram. As there was no road or track, they found their way to Wool Bay from Edithburgh along the beach. Mr. Bartram remembers the steamer Ceres (Capt. Germein), which was built to trade at Salt Creek (Coobowie). He said he returned to Port Adelaide in her when she made the first trip back from Salt Creek. To catch the boat he rode a horse from Wool Bay, and just before getting aboard turned the horse loose and it returned to the farm. Mr. Bartram was the first lime burner at Coobowie, and his first Kiln was a big hole in the ground in which he placed the wood and stones and cured 80 bags of lime. At that time gypsum and salt were refined in pans. He remembered that Messrs. Correll, Corlett, Tochi, Aldenhoven, Dunn, Hickey, and Manning were among the first settlers. Captain Thompson, who carted lime by ketch from Coobowie to Port Broughton, lived in a wooden house on the site now used for a tennis court. The first blacksmith was a man named Shearer, and Mr. Rogers was the wheelwright. A lime company was formed in the early days and they erected 5 kilns. Mr. Bartram served the district for several years as Councillor in the Melville District Council. He also rendered service to the S.Y. P. Agricultural Society as judge for Hores-in-Action. Mr. Bartram remembers that Mr. C. Parrington, who now resides at Mount Barker lived near the Coobowie Well, and other local residents were Messrs. Griffen, Davies, Elliott, Kildea, Hawke, Henry and Thomas Daniell, C. Heath, Reid, and Tucker. He married Miss Ann Rattley in 1872, and the couple lived at Wool Bay for 3 years, and at Coobowie for 43 years. In 1918 they let their farm and went to live at Hawthorn, but later returned to their first home town of Coobowie, where they still reside. The members of the family are:— Mr. Geo. Bartram, Prospect; Mrs. Geo. Jordan, Edithburgh; Mr. W. E. : Bartram, Yorketown: f. A. Bartram,!

Coobowie; J. VV. Bartram, Kimba; Mrs. G. H. Riddle, Hawthorn; Mrs. T. Croser, Millicent; Mrs. A. Johncock, Salisbury; Mrs. W. Rose, Edithburgh; Mr. T. A. Bartram, Edithburgh; Miss Nellie Bartram, Coobowie. There are 38 grandchildren, and 39 great grandchildren.


COOBOWIE. Methodist Diamond Jubilee

The Coobowie Methodist Church celebrated its Diamond Jubilee on Sunday, October 18 and Tuesday, October 20. The celebrations were an outstanding success in every Way and it was very pleasing to see about 60 of former residents among those present. On Sunday three services were held in the new hall at the rear of the church, but even this was not large enough to hold the crowd of people who came along. The Rev. G. C Hutchinson was the preacher for the three services. The afternoon service took the form of a Baptismal Service followed by the unveiling of a Tablet in the church, to the memory of the late Mr. and Mrs. John Bartram, pioneer workers of the first Method is Church at Coobowie. About 200 people were present at this service. A male quartette was beautifully rendered by Messrs. C. R. and A Farrow, E. W. Eichner and E. H. Daniell. On Tuesday the afteruoon was spent in croquet and tennis, until the high tea at 5 p.m., which was served in the new hall. At the first sitting, Mr. Geo. Rattley, llie oldest church supporter, lit the 60 candles which adorned a beautiful cake, made by Mrs. Geo. Rattley and iced by Mrs. C. Tape. Mrs. Hemy Bartram an original member of the first church then cut the cake. The tea was a sumptuous spread and we congratulate the Coobowie ladies on their very fine effort. After the tea had been cleared away the hall was again packed for the evening meeting. Rev. G. C. Hutchinson was Chairman, and delivered an address. Mr. C. B. Stead, Secretary of the Trust, gave the report for the year, and Mr. H. J. Vigar gave some early history of the church. Mr. L. G. Bartram on behalf of the Circuit extended congratulations to the Coobowie friends, and also spoke of the early years of the Coobowie Church and Sunday School. During the evening Messrs. K. Farrow and E. Daniel! rendered a duet. After the singing of the Doxology a cup of tea and a light supper brought the evening to a close. Many of the visitors expressed regret that the celebrations had come to a close, as they had had a most enjoyable time. The proceeds for the Jubilee amounted to approximately ^.30. The collections on Sunday and Tuesday totalled £13, the tea £15/7/- and donations £2/2/0. Special thanks were accorded to the Committee of the Stansbury Flower Show and Mrs. F. W. Koennecke, of Warooka, for magnificent floral contributions Miss N. Bartram supervised the decorations The whole of the celebrations were organised by the members of Ladies' Guild, with Miss Enid Vigar as the energetic Secretary. A visitors book was signed by all visitors who attended the celebrations. On Tuesday 53 motor cars were parked around the building.


COOBOWIE

Methodist Churdt Diamond Jubilee 1936

[By the REV. G, C. HUTCHINSON

An entry in the Minute Book t>f Circuit states: "The Rev. \V. T. Carter was appointed by the ^District Meeting, held in Adelaide, October. 1871. Arrived the following month, November 2nd." This was a court similar to the present Dlstyct Synod, and it appears that Mr. Carter's appointment was not a Conference appointment at that time,'but a disttict appointment. The Troubfidgft Wesleyan Methodist Circuit was formed a few months later, April 1st, 1872. From 1855 to 1873 the Wesleyan Methodist Church in South Australia was under the care of Chairmen of Districts appointed by the Australasian Wesleyan Methodist Conference. The State Conference was first held in 1874. Upon the formation of the Circuit, 1872, three places were included,'Bald Hills, Finnis Flat, and Hardwiclce Bay. At the March meeting of 1874 other places were included in the Circuit, among them being; Salt Creek, which had a membership return of 3. At the December meeting of that year the membership increased to 6. In the December quarter of 1875 membership rose to 11, and the name of the place changed from Salt Creek to Coobowie (though it is often referred to even nowadays as "The Creek.") In the Circuit books there is no record of the changing of the name of the Circuit from Troubridgc to Yorketown. It being done between December, 1876, and March, 1877, it must have been effected by »he Conference of 1877. During 1876 a move was made by the Coobowie people to build a Chapel. The work was undertaken by a Mr. Bartram, Senr., and his soft, John Bartram. The plastering of the building was carried out by Mr. Hall. In the Circuit Minutes of December 13th, 1876, the question: "What anniversaries shall be held?" the answer included "Coobowie opening service." The opening service took place on Christmas Day, 1876, during the ministry of Rev. T. M. Rowe, and ever since that time the Church has filled no mean place in the life of the Circuit. The same building is used for worship now. Many valued officers served in that Church, and some from there filled the highest office in our Methodist Church which is open to a layman, that of Circuit Steward, among them being Mr. Woods, Mr. John Bartram, and later Mr. H. J. Vigar. The first to be married in the new Church were Mr. Woods and Miss Rattiey, who received from the Trustees the Hymn Book and Bible. The original Trustees were John Woods, William R. Woods, John Bartram, Jonathan Rattiey, Henry Bartram, L. Mann and Arie DeKivett. No new appointments to the trust were registered until 1931. when a new declaration was made with the names of C. B. Stead, A. N. Brook, C. Rattiey, H. J. Vigar, and C. R. Bartram forming the Trust. In 1935 A. N. Brook resigned by reason of his leaving the district, and the following were added: — C. K. Farrow. G. P. Daniel!, and E. H. Daniell. This constitutes the present Trust. Mr. C. B. Stead is Secretary. For 60 years that Church has filled a very important part in the life of our people at Coobowie, and it can confidently be said it was never more energetic than at this present time. Ministers who have served Coobowie Church in the Circuit have been: — Revs. W. T. Carter, 1872-4; Robt. Kelly, 1874-6; T. M. Rowe, 1876-7; Johnson James, 1877-8; S. S. Moncrieff, 1878-9; W. Reed, 1879-82; J. H. Trevorrow, 1882-4; B. G. F.dwards, 1884-5; E. Edineades, 1885-8; J. J. Nicholls, 1888-91; John Blacket, 1891-3; G. E. Wheat ley, 1893-6; C. H. Nield, 1896-9; J. J. Nicholls, 1899-1902; W. B. Mather, 1902-5; J. C. Hughes, 1905-8; F.. W. Caust, 1908-11; W. T. Wiltshire, 1911-14; E. Arnold, 1914-17; H. W. Jew, 1917-20; C. B. Holmes, 1920-23; W. Glen Clarke, 1923-27; V. H. Goldney, 1927-30; J. C. Barrett, 1930-33; J. C. Oliver, 1933-36; G. C. Hutchinson, 1936-. THE SUNDAY SCHOOL HALL. During the Jubilee year a move was made to erect a school and social hall upon the Church property. It has been a long-felt need, and in spite of many difficulties at first, has been bfought to a very successful conclusion. The Ladies' Guild donated £108 as a nucleus fund to the trust on the express understanding it was to be tor that purpose. During 1936 a start was made and the Hall built. It was opened by Rev. G. C. Hutchinson on July 31st. Much time and material was given by trustees and others. The mason work was undertaken by Mr. C. B. Stead. The main part of timber and iron work was carried out by working bees. Mr. Waller did the painting as a donation. Owing to the great number of people who returned for the Diamond Jubilee celebrations, the services had to be held in the new Hall, the afternoon service registering well over 200 present. The Ladies' Guild was formed in May. 1932, for the purpose of agisting Trust finances, and in f<wr voars approximately £160 lias been raised by that body. The iirst President was Mrs. II. J. Vigar, first Secretary, Mrs. A. N. I!rook. Present officers: President, Mrs. C,. C. Hutchinson; Secretary, Miss Hnid Vigar. The Coobowie Sunday School was opened in 1874, with 1/ scholars and 4 teachers afld officers. Superintendents have been: Messrs. John liartntfn, George Bartram. Ted Inglis, Percy Daniell, —. Diprosc, C. B. Stead, A. N. Brook, Mrs. C. Rattiey, and for the past 8 years M. |. Vigar has filled tlmt ^tc. Local pY-ea'chcrs from that Church have been Messrs. John Bartram, J. Woods and son, W. R. Woods, A. D. Byrne, Alf. Bartram, L. G. Bartram, and Rex. Brook.

NAMES IN VISITORS' BOOK AT ^ DIAMOND JUBILEE (FATHERING. Adelaide^-M*S. C luers; Mrs. A. Riddle; Mrs. G S. JtAinson, Prospect; Mr. and Mrs. A. H. Bariram; Mrs. E. \\\ Pryor; Mrs. A. K. Wilkinson; Mr. and Mrs. R. S. Jolly; W. M. Hallidav; Mr. and Mrs. P. If. Daniel); Mrs. C. B. Stead, Broadview; M rs. H. ^f. Lightbody, flroadvieiv; George Plummer, Royal Park; Mrs. Kills; Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Stead; Mr. Ray Xewlxild, Adelaide; R. A. (lUthrie. I-args Bay; E. F. Daniel!, Rose Park; M. Newman. Malvern. S. F. Goodale, Blackwood: J. UridRef, Maylands. ^ Georgetown—Mr. and Mrs. E. C. Nankivell, Mr. <;. and Miss Nankivell. Stansbury—Mr. and Mrs. Roy Nankivell, Mr. and MTS. Edgar |„ Nankivell. Mr. and Mrs. H. M. Nankivell, Mr. and Mrs. J. J. Nankivell, Mr. A. J>. Farrow, Mr. and Mrs. \Y. Rattiey. Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Jiridfres Miss Dorothy Nankivell, E. <i. Rattiey, Mr. and Mrs. Xatt. Minlaton—Mrs. 1). Cloak, Mrs. L. \\\ (jlazbrook, Mrs. Waller Riddle. George Glazbrook. Strathalhyn-Mr. and Mrs. A. V. Brook, Mr. and Mrs. E. f». Brook, Mr. and Mrs. Austin Brook. Pickering—K. Daniell, Mr. and Mrs. F. Daniell, Miss G. M. Daniel). Mr. and Mrs. A. G. lJamell, Mrs. Plaisted. C. G. Daniell. Mr. and Mrs. E. W. Eichner. Miss K. Eichner. Mr. Max Eichner. R. S. Daniel!. K. J. Scott, Mrs. A. E. Plummer. Warooka—Mr. and Mrs. A. W. Murdock, G. Sheppard. Brentwood—Miss J. Rule, Mr. William Hoile, Mrs. C. Boundy. Tarlee—Mrs. I.es. Crouch. . Edithburgh—Mr. J. e. Bartram, Mr. and Mrs. L,. G. Bartram, Miss Elva Plummer, Mrs. J. Golden, Mrs. J. Jordon. Mrs. L. Hose, Mr. and Mrs. E. H. Bramley, Mr. and Mrs. James Rose, Mr. and Mrs. T. W. Hancock, Miss Kay Hancock. Mr. t',. Hancock, Mi<-Sheila Hancock, Miss Roberts, Mrs. Bales, Mr. and Mrs. R. Caldwell, Mr. W. K. Edward-,, Mr. and Mrs. I.. Johnson, K. A. Hancock, R. E. Hancock, Miss Jean Bartram, Mrs. A. A-Bartram. Urania—Mr. and Mrs. Em Hoile. Oaklands—Mr. and Mrs. H. B. Robinson, Mr. and Mrs. A. E. Anderson. Miss Gwen Anderson. Bublacowie—Mr. and Mrs. Eric Anderson. Geranium—Mr. and Mrs. A. N. Brook. Sandilands—Mr. and Mrs] Jack Nankivell. Mallala—Miss M. Davies New South Wales—Miss Gladys Anderson. Vorketown—Mr. ). Grivdl, Mr., Mrs. and Miss Wright, Mr. and Mrs. Leu. Newboid, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Newboid, Mr. and Mrs! J. II. McKenzie, Mr. and Mrs. R. Wilkinson, Mr. and Mrs. Ern Warren, Mr. Jim Warren, Mr. Les. Wilkinson, Miss Joyce Wilkinson, J. Croser, E. Mitchell, Mr. and Mrs. E. W. Bartram, Miss Johnson, Mr. and Mrs. Stan. Johnson, Miss Nance Wilkinson, Miss Jean Wilkinson, Miss Laureen Jaehne, Mr. and Mrs. W. Bartram, Mr. L. Mitchell, M. R. Riddle, Miss E. Edwards, Mrs. L. May.


COOBOWIE. Opening of New Methodist Hall.

Ideal weather and a good representative gathering, provided a very successful opening day of the new hall at the Methodist Church. Coobowie. The ball, which is a very fine building, will be used as a kindergarten room, and also for meetings and social gatherings. The celebrations began with the planting of fourteen trees on the north side of the church. Mrs. Bartrani, Snr., and Mrs. Hawke, two ol* the pioneer members of the first Methodist Church, planted the first two. Others were planted by the Sunday School teachers—Mesdames Tape and C. Bartrani, Misses K. Vigar and J. Stead, and the Trustees, Messrs. H. J. Vigar, C. R. Stead, C. Rattlcy. K. Farrow. K. and G. Oanicll, and Rev. G. C. Hutchinson. An adjournment was then made to the front of the hall, where the opening ceremony took place. Mr. Vigar. in asking Rev. Hutchinson to open the building, thanked the Ladies* Guild, who bad stood behind the Trust in the work, and all the members and friends who had so willingly given their time and material to help complete the task. Rev. Hutchinson then thanked the Coobowie friends for honour of being asked to open their hall, and inserted the key in the lock. Inside the hall a dedicatory service was held. At 5 p.m. a sumptuous tea was served in the hall, and congratulations were extended to the Coobowie folk from representatives of (ither churches. Speakers were:— M essrs. I-. G. Bartrani and IT. B. Robinson (Senior and Junior Circuit Stewards). Messrs. \V. Bartrani (Yorketown), A. W. Murdoch {\Varooka\ \V. G. Natt (Stansbury). J. Rose (Kdithhurgh), and C. Boundv (Brentwood). At 7.30 a very enjoyable social evening was held. Games and competitions were enjoyed, and a musical and elocutionary programme was given by Mrs. Hutchinson, Misses M. Waller, L. Jaehne, J. and N. Wilkinson, the Trustees, and Mr. K. Farrow. The taking for the day amounted to £9/17/-. Supper was served, and alter a few more games a most successful opening day was brought to a close.


A West Coast Pioneer

MR. GEORGE PLUMMER. He is said to be the oldest man in Coobowie, having arrived in the district in 1872. Years ago he was one of the best-known bullock drivers in the State, and is full of quaint reminiscences of the early days. photo


Death of Mr. Plummer, Senr., of Coobowie

The death of Mr. Plummer Senr., who was one of the few surviving early pioneers of Southern Yorke Peninsula, occurred at the Yorketown Hospital on Wednesday. Mr. Plummer has had a life time of good health, except for an attack of measles some years ago, but during the last few days he has been an inmate of the Yorketown Hospital. He was in his 85th year and was born at Hindmarsh in 1848. Mr. Plummer's life had been a varied one. For some years he carried goods with his bullock team between Adelaide and the Burra. He was one of the builders engaged when the lighthouse was erected at Cape Borda, Kangaroo Island. When he came to S.Y.P. in 1874, he travelled overland with his bullock team. He spent some time at Corny Point with M. Tochi in an unsuccessful attempt in search of oil. Up to the time of his death he still believed that oil will be found there. He remembered the old salt works at Coobowie and saw both the beginning and ending of that undertaking. He left six daughters and two sons— Mesdames A. Franke {Paragon Lake), M. Bramley (Edithburgh), C. H. Boundy (Brentwood), E. J. Bramley (Edithburgh), W. Plaisted (Wool Bay), and Miss E. Plummer (Coobowie). Messrs. Geo. Plummer of Oaklands and Tom Plummer of Coobowie are the sons. The funeral, which was largly attended took place at the Edithburgh Cemetery on Thursday afternoon.


Coobowie Rodeo Attracts Crowd

The Jubilee Rodeo last Saturday (second Rodeo at Coobowie) attracted over two thousand people. Although those attendance figures do not show a big increase on last year's figures, the organisers of the Rodeo are satisfied that the widespread interest In both this and last year's function is sufficient guarantee of future continued success.

It is probably still a little difficult for many folk to believe that Coobowie, a community of only a couple hundred people, could put on a show which is equal in importance to Rodeos organised by large towns in this and other states.

Rodeos everywhere in Australia have a very large following, attracting large crowds who are looking for entertainment with a real thrill. The riders who compete often barely have time to get from one rodeo to the next, so many are held throughout the country. These riders comprise mainly men from the cattle stations inland and men who have grown up with horses and follow the game for the love of it as much as for the stake money they have a chance of gaining.

Had the Coobowie Rodeo been below the standard of others in the Commonwealth, the interstate riders who attended last year would not have come again. As it was, there were many new faces among them. Those who were there last year were so impressed with the improvement in facilities and organisation on last year's arrangements that they whole-heartedly endorsed the Committee's decision to endeavour to have the Australian Championship contested at Coobowie within the next few years.

If the Australian Rough Riders' Association grants permission for this, then Coobowie, in the eyes of the horsemen of the rodeo world, assumes real importance.

This year there was a much larger number of people from district away from the Peninsula in attendance. It is interesting to note, too, that in proportion Queensland was best represented among the riders.

An improvement this year from the public's point of view was the introduction to the microphone of Bob Flicker as commentator "Flicker," as he is more generally known to his 5 AD listeners, brought to the rodeo the same breezy patter enjoyed by his radio audience.

Unfortunately, the Committee's attempt to subdue the dust was far from successful. It is one failing which will keep large numbers of people away from future events unless overcome. Alter lest year's rodeo, a suggestion was made that couch grass be tried in the arena, but for some reason that was not tried. We believe, however, that the problem is to be tackled in time for next year's rodeo.

The entries for Saturday's event were so numerous that the Committee was forced to commence at 10.30 instead of 11 a.m. as previously planned.

Only local rider there were quite a number of entries from Peninsula horsemen' to have a win was Doug Hart, who tied with an interstate man K. M. Rechstein' for first place in the Novice Steer Ride, Brian Jolly, incidentally, was another local rider who gave a very good exhibition in this same event.

In the Special Calf Roping contest, each entrant was given ninety seconds to lassoo a calf, dismount and tie three of the animal's legs to the satisfaction of the judge. Tom Willoughby roped his calves in the first heat and final in the shortest time, winning a special trophy (a magnificent hand-carved roping saddle made and donated by the famous trick rider, Dan Crotty) and a first prize of £10.

Some fine riding was witnessed in the Coobowie Buckjumping Championship. Johnny Roberts won with 162 points and Kevin McTaggart was second with 161 points. Kev, was second last year in this same event. Pat Clarke drew a local horse — Tom Butler's (Minlaton) "Swivel." This animal certainly lived up to its name—it just swivelled round and round, apparently trying to cause its rider to fall off with an attack of giddiness.

Dan and Buddy Crotty gave several exhibitions of superb trick riding, as well as competing in some events. They have recently returned from a tour of New Zealand.

Behind the scenes, or more accurately, behind the chutes, there were a lot of willing, if rather dusty, workers. Attending to the task of drafting the animals and getting them up to the chute were Ted Lyddon (Angaston), Garth Robinson of Yorketown, George Mumford (Brentwood), Ron Sherriff of Yorketown, Hartley Algie (from Edithburgh), Andy Preuss (also of Edithburgh), Gordon Bartram (Coobowie), Ralph Anderson (Stansbury), Mick Goldsmith and Jack Sherriff (Yorketown), Gilford Hancock (Edithburgh), Keith Algie (Oaklands) and a real veteran of rodeos, Hugh Mortimer, of Gawler. The lower end of Yorke Peninsula was pretty well represented there.

It pays to speak up ! So Bill Warby, (interstate man) thinks, anyway. One of the finalists in the Steer Riding Championship, he Jokingly appealed to his fellow riders to donate a special prize for fifth place, because he was "morally sure" to miss out on the big money. Fricker, hearing this, laughingly broadcast the appeal. To everyone's surprise, it met with immediate response—the two Judges, Messrs. Quinlivin and Rowett, offering £1 each. Sure enough, Warby did come fifth. Then and there, the judges handed over the promised "consolation" prize.

PROCEEDS

Gate takings were £374 8, 11; luncheon £51 16: dance £54 11 and donations £24. Nominations brought in £42.

Prize-money of over £200 was the biggest item on the expense side.

The Rodeo Committee offers graceful thanks to the public for its support again this year; and to those many helper; who, before, during and after the event, toiled so willingly with a splendidly co-operathe spirit. The organisers of the function were also appreciative of Dan Crotty's entirely unsolicited donation of a special trophy in the form of the riding saddle previously mentioned. This saddle, it is believed, Is worth somewhere about £50.

Dally Holden also earned the gratitude of officials for his very splendid performance as chute boss. Dally again this year accepted the responsibility of seeing that steers and horses were brought up to the chutes and released in good time, and he had the task of assigning the riders to their correct positions.

RESULTS

Novice Steer Ride

K. Relchstcin and Doug Hart tied for first place; they shared the prize-money and drew for the trophy, which Reichstein won. Bill Henderson was third with 76 points.

Calf Roping Contest

Tom Willoughby (1277 sees.), Johnny Roberts (145) and Pat Clarke (85). Clarke did r.ot make time in the final.

Coobowie Steer Riding Champ.

Tom Willoughby 161 J, Dally Holden 161, Doyle Gill 160i and J. Roberts 157J. Bill Worby received a special 5th prize of £2.

Open Surcingle Ride

K. McTaggart, T. Willoughby, Bill Warby and Johnny Roberts.

Bulldogging Contest

M. McTaggart 131 sees., Dan Crotty 13 i' and Bill Warby 16.

Buckjumping Championship

J. Roberts (162). K. McTaggart <161), Pat Clarke (159i), M. McTaggart (1554). The prize for Pick-up men was given to Max McTaggart and J. Roberts.

Special Jubilee Trophy

The special Jubilee Trophy was awarded to Johnny Roberts, who gained 12 points to win it. A special prize of a steer-head lapel win was awarded to the boy selling most programmes on the ground; Ron "Short and J. Tape tied and were given a pin each.


Coobowie.

January 31.

On Sunday afternoon residents of Coobowie received a shock when they heard of the death of Miss Bridget Buckley, head teacher of the local public school. She was in her usual health on Sunday afternoon and at 4 o'clock was conversing with one of her pupils and apparently had nowhatever the matter with her about 5 o'clock the proprietor of the Coobowie Hotel (at which she was boarding) on going to call her for tea found her lying dead on her bed. The police were communicated with, and reported the matter to the local Coroner ( Mr A. N. Byrne) who deemed an inquest unnecessary. Miss Buckley had been stationed at Coobowie for more than eight years and enjoyed general esteem and respect. She was a capable tutor, as the result of each successive examintion proved.


GA1349 - State Records of South Australia

Coobowie Primary School. Date Range: 1919 - 1961 Inventory of Series Description

Coobowie is a small country primary school providing education for primary students.

Contents Date Range Series Date Range Number of Units Public Access Series Id Series Title 1919 - 1971 1919 - 1971 1 Open GRS/9258 Admission registers - Coobowie Primary School.