... Port Rickaby Home Page ...

  • _1170450
  • _1170467
  • _1170473
  • _1170453
  • _1170454
  • _1170455
  • _1170464
  • _1170458
  • _1170465
  • _1170460
  • _1170475
  • _1170466
  • _1170468
  • _1170469
  • _1170474
  • _1170476
  • _1170477
  • _1170482
  • _1170483
  • port rick

District Council of Yorke Peninsula - History of Port Rickaby

Another of the small outports which was served by ketches in the days before motor transport developed.

The jetty here, built in 1879 and 121.9 metres (400 feet) long, had a low water depth of 3.3 metres (11 feet)*. Overseas sailing ships could load their cargo directly aboard instead of being lightered by ketches**.
*Colonial Architecture in South Australia. Page 754. **The Ill Shaped Leg. Page 103

The Port was named in honour of Thomas Rickaby, an early pioneer who came from Ireland. He arrived in South Australia in 1858 bringin with him the first Warrant from the Grand Orange Lodge to open a branch in SA.

He joined the South Australian Mounted Police and was the first Officer-in-Charge of Goolwa, a town at the mouth of the river Murray.

After seven years he resigned and eventually settled on Yorke Peninsula. He was the first President of the Minlaton Agricultural Show*. *The Cyclopedia of South Australia. Page 675. Volume 2.

Port Rickaby. SA Memory

Port Rickaby, south of Port Victoria on the western side of Yorke Peninsula, is now a beachside holiday destination but was once an active grain port frequented by steamships and ketches. The port is named after Thomas Rickaby, an early settler pastoralist who arrived in South Australia from Ireland aboard the ship Marshal Plecier in 1858. Rickaby was the founder of the Orange Lodge in South Australia and served in the South Australian Mounted Police in Goolwa and the Far North. In 1877 Rickaby was integral in lobbying for the construction of the Port Rickaby jetty, which was needed for transporting grain grown on the Yorke Peninsula.

The original jetty was completed in 1879 and was lengthened several times to accommodate the mooring of a number of grain ships at one time. At completion the jetty measured 282 metres.

Some of the ships that visited Port Rickaby include the Falie, the Jessie Darling and Coringle, which is the name of the drive running along the Port Rickaby shoreline.

Port Rickaby's function changed with the advent of bulk grain handling and transport at Wallaroo, and the town became more of a holiday retreat.

In the 1960s the jetty was reduced in length, and is now used for recreational fishing. Other holiday activities include boating, bird-watching, walking trails, snorkelling and swimming.


State Library of South Australia - B 25058 - Bullock wagon carting goods to and from the Jetty 1879


State Library of South Australia - PRG 1373/39/62 - Port Rickaby jetty, about 1925.


Saturday 22 July 1876, South Australian Chronicle and Weekly Mail (Adelaide, SA : 1868 - 1881) Trove

The weather is still very dry here, and the crops have made little or no headway for the last month, a good deal owing to the very sharp frosts that have visited us.— On Thursday last about 30 farmers and residents assembled on the beach at Port Rickaby to see the first vessel, the Capella, a ketch of about 70 tons register, commanded by Capt. Baker, land goods for the residents in this new port. After these were landed they adjourned to the humble cottage of Mr. T. Rickaby to partake of the good things Mrs. Rickaby had provided. This being done, a few speeches were made, and it was the opinion of all that if good moorings were laid down a vessel might lay there in safety in any weather. I really think it requisite to have them, for this port is situated about 12 to 15 miles south of Port Victoria, and about 20 miles north of Hardwicke Bay, and here we have about 100 square miles of good agricultural land partially sown with wheat, and no outlet for us nearer than 15 to 20 miles. Then why should this new port, lie dormant, when its natural facilities are much greater than many long-declared ports? Here a vessel can lay within a few chains of the shore to load or discharge cargo; therefore we hope the Government will see to our wants as early as possible.


Saturday 7 July 1877, South Australian Chronicle and Weekly Mail (Adelaide, SA : 1868 - 1881) Trove

Thursday, July 7. PETITION PRESENTED. By Mr. DUNCAN, from 72 residents of Minlacowie, Koolywurtie, and Wauraltie, on Yorke's Peninsula, asking that a jetty might be erected at Port Rickaby, so as to provide for the safe landing and shipping of goods in any weather.


Tuesday 8 January 1878, South Australian Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1858 - 1889) Trove

December 31. Port Rickaby was visited by a large concourse of pleasure-seekers on Christmas Day. The weather was all that could be desired for picnicing. Ample justice having been done to a splendid spread liberally provided by Mesdames Rickaby, Mahar, Lee, and Tonkin, music and dancing were indulged in by a large number in the afternoon on a suitable grassy spot, while others found pleasure in promenading the seashore. Meanwhile the following programme was being efficiently carried out under the supervision of Mr. Peter King:— Jumping in racks, won by H. Rickaby ; men's 100 yards flat race, winner Mr. B. Hatcher ; 100 yards fiat race for men over 45 yean, won by Mr. Thos. King, sen. ; all comers' race (150 yards), winner Mr. B. Hatcher ; young ladies' race, winner Miss Kenny ; married ladies' race, for a box of kid gloves, won by Mrs. J. C. Tonkin ; tilting match, won by Mr. G . D . Downing. A couple of horse races then came off— three-quarters of a mile, one event for — sovs.; six bursts started ; won easily by Mr. Rickaby's Black Bess. The next race was between Mr. Mclnerney's chesnut and Mr. F. Baker's Toby; won by Mr. F. Baker's Toby by a length. This concluding the programme the cloths were relaid for tea, after which, on the motion of Mr. M. Kenney, a cordial vote of thanks was accorded to Mr. and Mrs. Rickaby for their hospitality and also to the ladies who so amply provided for the wants of the visitors. Mr. Rickaby responded in appropriate terms. About two-thirds of the assemblage then started for home, and the remainder adjourned to Mr. Rickaby's house, where dancing was vigorously continued till midnight. — I noticed a large stack of wheat bought by Messrs. J. Dunn & Co's, agent, waiting shipment and am informed that up wards of 15,000 bags will be shipped here this season and yet we have no jetty. We hope now £2,120 bas been passed for the erection of one that the Government will take immediate steps to supply this important want, as it is espected that more than double the amount will be shipped here next season.

Jan 1879, Port Rickaby.—A jetty is now in course of construction at Port Rickaby, Yorke's Peninsula, 400 feet long, giving 11 feet at low water.

Feb 1879, Port Rickaby Jetty.—The contract here had been seriously retarded by strong westerly winds. Every effort was being used to complete the job.

Mar 1879, Rickaby Jetty.—The jetty was finished and wheat could be shipped if required to.


Saturday 31 July 1880, Adelaide Observer (SA : 1843 - 1904) Trove

A deputation, consisting of Messrs. R. D. Ross, M.P., W. Furner, M.P., T. Rickaby, and Captain Briggs waited upon the Commissioner of Public Works on Tuesday morning, July 27, and asked that the jetty at Port Rickaby might be extended so as to give greater facilities for shipping. Mr. Rickaby pointed out that about 15,000 bushels of wheat had been shipped from Port Rickaby during the past season under the greatest difficulties. The end of the jetty was at present in the breakers at low water, and the depth was so small that the vessels moored there struck upon the rocks, which were to be found just where the vessels had to lie. Owing to this it was only in the most favourable weather that coasters could come up to the jetty, and to enable them to take advantage of the tides a greater portion of the work of loading had to be done at night. When the jetty was first erected Captain Fergusson 'proposed that it should be 600 feet long, and the Engineer of Harbours and Jetties afterwards stated that if it were carried out that length Port Rickaby would be equal to any shipping place in Spencer's Gulf. The present length of the jetty was 450 feet, and the residents wanted between 200 and 300 feet added to it, which would take it out into deep water. There was a large agricultural area which acted as a feeder to the port, and every acre surveyed had been taken up. The district had cost the Government very little, as they had not had votes for roads or other works. He believed there were several hundreds of pounds remaining of the sum originally voted, and so the work would cost the Government very little. Two thousand two hundred pounds had been voted by Parliament for the work, but the contract was only for £1,500. Captain Briggs supported what Mr. Rickaby had stated, adding that owing to the swell and the rocks he had often to load his vessel at night time, and had also to let out from 100 to 120 fathoms of chain se as to avoid being blown on shore by the N.W. wind. If the jetty was lengthened between 200 and 300 feet these disadvantages would be done away with, and a depth of 20 feet would be obtained at the end of the jetty. The Commissioner in reply stated that be would bring the matter under the notice of the Engineer-in-Chief. He would have the place visited and reported upon as soon as possible. He thought the deputation had made out a fair case for the extension of the jetty, and if he conld see his way clear be would have the work done.

MINLATON, March 9.

Thursday 10 March 1881, Express and Telegraph (Adelaide, SA : 1867 - 1922) Trove

An accident of a very serious character happened this evening to a son of Mr. Rickaby, J.P., of Port Rickaby, while returning with a load of grist from Mr. Long's mill, at Minlaton. It appears that he was seated on a bag of bran on the top of the load when it rolled off, and he was thrown under the wheels, one of whioh passed over his leg and the upper part of his body in a slanting direction. He was removed as soon as possible to his father's residence, but the extent of the injuries he has sustained has not transpired.

KOOLYWURTIE (Mt. Rat). April 12.

Saturday 16 April 1881, South Australian Weekly Chronicle (Adelaide, SA : 1881 - 1889) Trove

We have had a large stretch of dry weather, which still continues with no prospect of a change. — Some few farmers have commenced sowing, but it will not become general till next month. — The elections for the House of Assembly passed off quietly, but not satisfactorily to all, as some half-dozen would-be voters who want to record their votes found that their names were not on the roll, although they had always voted at previous elections, and still held the same qualifications. — Little excitement exists as to the Legislative Council elections.— I am glad to be able to report that the contractor (Mr. Ledo) has commenced to lay the new rails on the Port Rickaby jetty, and that in a week's time he will be fully at work extending the jetty. When completed it will be a great boon to farmers and others.


Saturday 22 October 1881, South Australian Weekly Chronicle (Adelaide, SA : 1881 - 1889) Trove

The weather during the last two months has been unusually dry, which has considerably blighted the prospects of the coming harvest. Only a little rain fell on October 11, which was insufficient to replenish tbe dams and tanks. With a few exceptions the crops are very light and short. Black rust (for which there seems to be no remedy) is doing a deal of damage, so that now I think we cannot expect any better returns for our labors than last year, although everything looked so promising at the commencement of the season. — The jetty at Port Rickaby has at last been completed, and so far the work seems to be satisfactory. It is now 620 feet in length, which will enable vessels to load or unioad alongside in perfect safety.— The Mount Rat Hotel is open, and seems to be fairly patronised.— Mullenizing is the order of the day, where the land is deemed suitable.


Saturday 8 April 1882, Adelaide Observer (SA : 1843 - 1904) Trove

At the Magistrates Court, Minlaton, on March 29, before MessrB, K Gower, S.M., Kapler, J-P. and John Ford, J.P., Thomas Rickaby, J.P., of Port Rickaby, was charged by M.C. Thomas Reid, of Yorketown (acting under the instructions of the Postmaster General), with having at Minlaton, on December 20 last, unlawfully and knowingly put into the office a certain parcel, purporting to contain an invoice only, and to come within one of the exemptions mentioned in sub-section 4 of section 20 of part 1 of the Post-Office Act of 1876, whereas, in truth, it did not contain an invoice only, but a letter from the said T. Rickaby to George Downing of Adelaide, which said letter was subject to a higher rate of postage. Inspector Saunders conducted the prosecution. Amelia Jane Mooney, postmistress at Minlaton, deposed that the letter bore the Minlaton postmark, and was marked by her; and that it was a letter, and as such ought to have borne a twopenny stamp instead of the penny one on it. She said she had delivered letters to a little boy, Mr. Rickaby's son, and had sold him stamps. Robert Walters, police-constable, stationed at Minlaton, said he served Mr. Rickaby with, a subpoena in this case on March 11. Thomas Reid, mounted-constable, stationed at Yorketown, said he knew Mr. Rickaby's writing, and having examined the evelope and letter produced, he believed they were written by that person. By Mr. Farr—He believed the envelope produced, addressed to Mr. Carter,' to be written by the same person. William V. Cornish, Bailiff to the Local Court at Yorketown, deposed that he knew Mr. Rickaby, and believed the envelope and letter marked respectfully A and B to be written by him. By Mr. Farr—He would not consider the envelope produced, addressed to Mr. Carter, to be in the same handwriting. James Patrick Dowling, mounted-constable, stationed at Port Wakefield, saw the documents marked A and B in December last. Received them from the Post-Office. Opened the envelope and read the letter; then returned it to the Postmaster almost immediately. On the envelope there was written "Try Stirling East," which was erased and "Port Wakefield" inserted. The envelope bore a penny stamp. J. A. Hillmann, Postmaster at Pore Wakefield, identified the letter as having passed through his office. By Mr. Farr—He made a memorandum of the matter on the same day. The letter came to the office in the usual way, and he delivered it to M.C. Dowling. The letter was handed back to him by Dowling on the same day. He said the envelope contained a letter, and stated -that it was not intended for him. The postage rate for a letter under half an ounce was twopence. He sent the letter to the Postmaster-General. The rate for an invoice would he one penny. Inspector Saunders addressed the Court at some length, stating that there could be no doubt of the offence having been committed knowingly. Mr. Farr contended that there was no evidence to show that defendant posted the letter. He was in the habit of using invoice envelopes for letters, and had forwarded the one marked C to Mr. Carter with a twopenny stamp on it a few days .before the letter in question was posted insufficiently stamped. It was customary for him to send invoices and letters by a boy, who was sometimes instructed to put stamps on them. It was also usual for him to get his neighbours' children to post letters for him. Inspector Saunders said he believed that to be the case. Fined £10, without costs.


Friday 22 September 1882, South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA : 1839 - 1900) Trove

On Monday morning, September 18, a deputation consisting of Messrs. Carter, Long, and Teichelman, waited on the Commissioner of Crown Lands (Hon. A. Catt). witn reference to several roads on tne Peninsula, and the water supply at Port Rickaby. They, first called attention to the necessity of surveying the road from Koolywurtie and Minlaton to Port Rickaby before the wheat season commenced. The Commissioner said the ioad had been surveyed, and that it was a question as to which of the two roads should be opened ; but he promised that no time should be lost in settling the matter. The deputation stated with regard to the tank at Port Rickaby that the Mount Rat Branch of the Farmers' Association had written asking that a catchment area might be made, and also that the tank should be so secured as to prevent the water from being used before the wheat carting season commenced, but no answer had been received. The Commissioner said arrangements were being made by the residents for providing a catchment. He would take care to secure the water for use during the wheat season by placing the tank under the control of a person who had offered to take charge of it, so that the farmers carting wheat might depend upon a supply. The deputation next urged that the road across the Minlaton Park Lands, in continuation of the main road from Stansbury, might be surveyed, as the Road Board had promised to make the road if such were done. The Commissioner said he would do what was necessary to carry out their wishes if he found that the lands were not dedicated. He also promised to enquire into the matter of the road from Curramulka to Minlaton, and if possible comply with the request of the deputation, that the road should be -placed on the schedule of main roads.


Friday 6 April 1883, South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA : 1839 - 1900) Trove

Minlaton : Wednesday:, April 4. Before Messrs. E. Gower, S.M., and R. Kappler, J.P. Thomas Rickaby, .J.P., of Port Rickaby, was charged by Hugh McCallum, farmer, of Koolywurtie, with insulting behaviour towards him on March 24. The evidence showed that both McCallum and Rickaby were driving along the Mount Rat-road, the latter in advance. Rickaby be-haved in a most unaccountable manner, and would not drive fast himself nor let the informant pass him. When he attempted to do so Rickaby appeared to do his best to bring about a collision, and nearly succeeded in doing so on two occasions. This conduct he kept up for some distance. The informant's evidence was corroborated by his brother A. McCallum, but Mr. Rickaby denied the charge in toto. Fined £1 with costs, £3 19s. 6d. in all. Mr. Beresford appeared for the informant, and Mr. Glynn for the defendant.


Saturday 10 January 1885, Evening Journal (Adelaide, SA : 1869 - 1912) Trove

[By Telegraph.] Gum Flat, January 9. A fire occurred at Port Rickaby on Thursday afternoon about 2 o'clock. It started in the surveyor's camp, and as only the cook was present in the camp at the time nearly all the tents and contents were destroyed. The flames then spread into Mr. T. Rickaby's sheep paddock, the grass of which was consumed. the efforts of the surveyors, their men, and the surrounding farmers the fire was with difficulty kept away from the adjoining farms. The men in camp lost their money and clothes.


Monday 29 March 1886, Evening Journal (Adelaide, SA : 1869 - 1912) Trove

CURRAMULKA, March 29. On Saturday Mr. Crozier, of Port Rickaby, met with a serious accident. When returning at night from Minlaton he fell out of his trap, which passed over his body, breaking one rib and severing one of his fingers at the first joint. The doctor was soon in attendance, and the patient is improving.


Saturday 6 April 1907, Observer (Adelaide, SA : 1905 - 1931) Trove

Portion of Wheat Stacks at Port Rickaby.


Friday 27 August 1909, Express and Telegraph (Adelaide, SA : 1867 - 1922) Trove

Discovered at Port Rickaby. Minlaton. August 27.

Mr. John Griffith reported to the police to-day that while searching for Nautilus shells on the Port Rickaby beach be found the skeleton of a human leg, complete from the thigh to, and including, the foot. It is not known whether the skeleton is that of a man or woman. The discovery has given rise to much conjecture.


Saturday 4 November 1911, Chronicle (Adelaide, SA : 1895 - 1954) Trove

PORT VICTORIA, October 24.*— What may be considered a record in rat killing has been accomplished at Port Rickaby about 12 miles south of the port. Mr. H. H. Mitchell, agent for the S.A. Farmers Co-operative Union, recently removed a stack of about 10,000 bags of wheat. During the operation, extending over four or five weeks, he and his men killed no less than 2,322 rats. The largest number killed in one day was 680. There are still about 1,600 bags of wheat left in the stack and he anticipates killing some hundreds more. The loss caused by the pest can be judged by the number of new cornsacks that have had to be used for rebagging purposes, namely, about 2,000. The damage is estimated at over £100. It is remarkable that the mice in nearly all the wheat stacks have disappeared, but unfortunately not until they had done considerable damage.


Friday 8 March 1912, Daily Herald (Adelaide, SA : 1910 - 1924) Trove

Lots 1, 2, and 3, of the Hundred of Koolywurtie, a splendidly situated block near Port Rickaby jetty, only brought £1 5/, the purchasers being the District Council of Minlaton.

A Soldier's Message.

Saturday 12 August 1916, Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954) Trove

Mr G. Newbold found a bottle on July 1916, between Port Rickaby and Port Victoria. It contained the following message—Transport A-05 Southern Victorian Waters. 2.IO p.m.. 20/12 15 To all at Pomona May this sea message bring to each and all of you an era of prosperity and happiness such as will fulfil every desire any of you may express. Private W. L C. Harriss, witnessed by Private H. A. Pryor. Should this sea message be found will the finder please oblige the undersigned by forwarding it to Miss E. R. Harriss. Pomona, Kulnura, via Wyony, New South Wales.

The late Thomas Rickaby J.P. ALMOST A CENTENARIAN.

Saturday 21 October 1916, Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954) Trove

Mr Thomas Rickaby, who has been living in retirement at '' Sea View Cottage," Port Vincent, for the past eight or nine years died on Sunday September 17th, full of years and honor. He was 96 years old and was greatly respected in the district. He had been seriously ill for about three weeks prior to his decease, so his death was not unexpected. He was interred in the Pt Vincent cemetery on the Monday, in the presence of a large assemblage of mourners from all parts of the Peninsula. The officiating Minister was the Rev. Williams, of Minlaton. The deceased had a varied career since his advent into the world in 1820 at Black Rock, near Dublin in Ireland. After leaving school he served for nearly four years in the Royal Irish Mounted Constabulary (from whose ranks a number of South Australian Policemen were drawn). He arrived in this State by the "Marshal Pleeier," in 1858 and shortly afterwards joined the Mounted Police Force. His first country charge was at Goolwa, then an important town, but while stationed here, he had also some experience in the far north, where the blacks threatened to become more troublesome. He was away for three months, with one of the two police parties sent out to maintain order. After seven years police work at Goolwa he retired from the service and took up land on Yorke's Peninsula, at Port Rickaby, which was named after him. He was one of the first orangemen in South Australia and was the oldest J.P., on the Peninsula. He was tlie first captain of the Minlaton Volunteer Company and was also a promoter and first President of the Minlaton Agricultural Show (now known as the Central Yorke's Peninsula Agricultural Society). Mr Rickaby was married in 1860 and his widow still survives him. They have had 17 children of whom seven sons and one daughter are still living, whilst five sons and four daughters are dead. The survivors are Mrs Marshall who has a son at the war, Benjamin, who is in a Red Cross Section in Queensland, Harry, Tom (who is a Lieutenant), and Campbell, are on active service in Egpyt. George is in the, somewhere in France, and Dan is now on his way to the front and Ralph is residing in Adelaide. It will thus be seen that the family are patriotic and war like. Besides those mentioned four of the deceased's grandchildren are now serving in the Army.


Saturday 9 December 1916, Chronicle (Adelaide, SA : 1895 - 1954) Trove

WAURALTEE, November 27.— A whale has been stranded two miles north of Port Rickaby jetty. It is about 45 ft. long, And was very much cut, owing no doubt to bumping over about three-quarters of a mile of reef, which at low water is quite dry. The stranded monster is attracting a number of sightseers, as it is the first washed up on the beach in this locality.

Port Rickaby. 1394 RATS KILLED IN ONE HOUR.

Saturday 3 November 1917, Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954) Trove

The work of re-conditioning the wheat stacks is progressing rapidly under the management of the Supervisor (Mr Mitchell) only a few thousand bags remaining to be "treated". There are about 70,000 bags awaiting shipment which will doubtless be moved as soon as the jetty is put in repair. The Harbors Board have promised their immediate attention to the jetty as soon as the necessary material is available. In a recent issue of the 'Pioneer' it was stated that 1010 rats were killed at Port Victoria in one day. It should have read Port Rick not Port Victoria. That record however was eclipsed on Wednesday October 24 when 2106 rats were killed in the one day. In one great "battle?" lasting an hour 1394 were slaughtered. These figures are authentic and do not include the hundreds of nestlings that were passed out to the waiting seagulls. Mice have practically disappeared, but the evidence of their ravages is still with us.


Saturday 12 April 1919, Observer (Adelaide, SA : 1905 - 1931) Trove

Capt. Norman Malcolm writes:—"I met Lieut. Tom Rickaby, of Port Rickaby, on Monday morning, and as he only returned to the State on Saturday he had the latest news about the horses. Rickaby sailed with me in the old Maplemore to the South African war at the beginning of 1900, and I was glad to meet him again in September, 1914, at the Morphettville camp when the last worry started. Then unfortunately he bumped a kneecap out of gear, and had to wait until matters mended. He joined us in Egypt at a later stage, and those who knew him were glad when he was drafted to the squadron I had the honour to be attached to. He was always a man with grit, and, although his knee was still troubling him he did not want to miss the show. He worked things nicely, so that when the squadron was moving in close formations he had his damaged knee on the outer flank. When the 9th Light Horse took to the desert his true value as a trained bushman, with a wonderful eye for country, was recognised by headquarters, and he was commandeered from the regiment to undertake the duties of a brigade scout. Early in the fighting on Sinai Peninsula he earned the Military Medal while in the rank and file, and his commission came shortly afterward. Prior to this, after the evacuation of Gallipoli, and when the light horse brigades were spelling at Heliopoiis, I remember him having come to me with the information that he had discovered a horse with a turn of speed, and suggested putting it into training for the Cairo races. The gelding in question came from the south-east. He was christened Gambier, and Rickaby supervised his training, while he was entered in the joint names of Major A. K. McKenzie (a Duntroop student, and one of the finest young soldiers I have met) and my own. He ran well in a mile, which was his opening try, and then a fortnight later was just pipped on the post in a seven-furlong go by the late Col. Tom Todd's Babanooka, a gelding sired in the west by Barbarossa from a Pistol mare. Gambier was just running into form when we were suddenly ordered to Serapium, on the canal front, and that was the end of the racing. I mention these facts to illustrate his sporting tendencies, and I was sorry to learn from him that the old horse had died subsequently like a hero in the field. The regiment had another little sorrel mare named Doreen racing in Cairo at the time, and she won a race very comfortably, despite the fact that she was only a pony. She was killed under Major Siekmann somewhere near Ber-el-Abt. I was glad that two good ponies obtained from Buckland Park we had named Pigeon and Sugar were still going strong near the end of the campaign, and that Major Parsons was riding my old mare Molly, whose legs were as sound as a bell. Lieut. Rickaby was delighted to hear of the movement to erect a drinking trough as a memorial to our horses, and told me to book him for a contribution of 20/." A lady wrote from Argyle, Western Australia:—"It was with great pleasure and satisfaction that I saw that a memorial is to be set up in South Australia to honour the memory of our splendid horses, fellow-heroes of our men, in the great war. That is as it should be, and I hope that every other State in the Commonwealth will do the same. The immense debt of gratitude we owe to these noble dumb helpers (and what they have suffered in our cause, God alone knows) demands that we should honour them in some permanent and practical way. The form suggested—similar to that in South Africa—seems very good, for the sculptured group surmounting will teach its silent lesson to this and future genera-tions, while the drink of fresh cold water will refresh many a thirsty creature as it goes about its work. Would you be so kind as to receive enclosed postal notes (5/) towards this fund?"

Previously acknowledged, 3,218/; M. L. Wyatt, 5/; Sympathizer, 5/; Traveller, 20/; Miss E. C. Riechbeith, 100/; Mrs. Alma W. Dempster, 5/; total, 3,358/.


Wednesday 18 December 1929, Register News-Pictorial (Adelaide, SA : 1929 - 1931) Trove

Residents of Port Rickaby were interested in this whale, which was stranded recently. Even the dog jumped enquiringly over the strange monster. Museum authorities are having it cut up to obtain the skeleton.


Friday 21 February 1930, Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954) Trove

At the Minlaton District Council meeting on February 10. Cr. Brown reported that a ladies' bathing hut had been erected at Port Rickaby. He had also arranged to have sips erected from Jetty. A deputation, including Messrs. R. O. Page, McMurray, and Dr. Clark, waited on the Council, and asked for better bathing facilities at The Bluff. They hoped the Council would erect bathing huts. It was stated that fully 200 people were on the beach during hot nights. It was risky using the sandhills as a dressing department on account of the snakes and vermin. The Council decided to discuss the question later in the year.


Friday 17 July 1931, Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954) Trove

The above Club held its general meeting and decided to hold a dance on August 19th in the Minlaton Institute. The following programme was also drawn up:— July 19th—Completion of the around the Peninsula coast tracks from Port Rickaby to Port Turton. The meeting time has been arranged for 10 o'clock at Riddle's corner. August 8th—A mixed run will be held when members will journey to Curramulka to see the football match between the Curramulka and Mission teams. August 19th—A dance will be held in the Minlaton Institute. All members are asked to make the above a succcss. August 22nd and 23rd—Arrangements are well in hand for the Club to take part in the forthcoming monster Motor Cycle Rally to be held at Kadina. All motor cyclists are invited to attend same. Details can be obtained from the Secretary, Mr. A. Parish.


Tuesday 25 July 1933, News (Adelaide, SA : 1923 - 1954) Trove

Mrs. Margaret Rickaby, who died at her home in Islington road, Kilkenny, last night at the age of 93 years was one of the earliest residents of Yorke's Peninsula, and one of the oldest native born women in the State. She was born at Strathalbyn. For nearly 60 years she and her late husband lived at Port Rickaby (which was named after them) and at Port Vincent. The late Mr. Rickaby was senior magistrate in both of those districts. Of 16 children, four sons served in the Boer war, and four in the great war. Mrs. Rickaby was the oldest member of five generations.


Friday 28 June 1940, Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954) Trove

The three sailors who recently deserted from the windjammer " Penang' which has been loading at Port Victoria for a number of weeks, were seen, recognised, and returned to the ship last week-end. Contrary to rumour they were not Germans, but Finns, and left the boat in a canvas canoe that they had constructed for the purpose. They were making for Corny Point when the canoe sprang a leak, and they were forced to put in to Port Rickaby. They shoved the canoe out to sea, but it was found and brought ashore. The men themselves were seen in the vicinity of Minlacowie, where they had been hiding in the wheat stacks for some days, their presence was reported and they were returned to their ship. One of them however got away again, and is still at liberty, so that the "Penang," which was to have sailed on Monday morning, is still hung up waiting his return.

Salmon Caught By The Ton.

Tuesday 25 November 1947, Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1931 - 1954) Trove

YORKETOWN, November 24. Fishing at Watson's Beach, near Port Rickaby, Messrs. Fred and Alan Peterson and Ron Thompson, of Minlaton, began the day badly, hauling in only a few fish at a time. Later, however, their luck changed and they hauled In more than three tons of salmon The catch, necessitating two trips, was taken to Stansbury for dispatch to Adelaide.


Friday 11 March 1949, Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954) Trove

When Mr. Geo. Gibson, a wellknown Port Victoria fisherman, arrived at the schnapper grounds about twelve miles off Pt. Victoria — one morning recently, he found himself surrounded by thousands of seahorses. Lots of people regard seahorses as myths, but Mr Gibson says he often sees a few, though he has never seen them in thousands before. They were clinging to pieces of seaweed all round his boat, hanging on with their tails. Thev were from two to three inches in length, with their long narrowish heads just like a horse's. Schnapper like them, and feed on them greedily. A seahorse, not long dead, and about ten inches long, was picked up at Port Rickaby receutly.


Friday 22 February 1952, Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954) Trove

After fishing at Port Rickaby a few nights ago Mr. V. H. Croser tossed five small stingrays onto the sand from the net. Then he took a second look at the top one and said to his mate "that's an electric ray, I reckon, Codg." They argued the point for a while, each daring the other to put a finger on the fish and try it out. Finally Verne tried it, and got a shock. Then Codger tried, and got a shock too. There was no doubt about it. It was an electric ray. Each time the ray sent out a shock the four little stingrays on which it rested wobbled wildly — they apparently felt the current as well. This is the second electric ray that Mr. Croser has seen recently. It measured about two feet across, and it had a tall about three inches long.

Strange Fish at Rickaby.

Friday 18 April 1952, Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954) Trove

Fishing at Port Rickaby during the Easter weekend, Mr. A. Burgess, of the Minlaton Hotel, hooked a fish that must surely have been a stranger in these parts. No one to whom it has been shown and many people have seen it—have been able to identify it. It certainly looks, by its gay coloring, as in tropical waters.

The fish measured about two feet, and weighed three and a half pounds - The belly was royal blue, shot with green. The back and fins were the color of goldfish, and along the back were four rows of royal blue spots.

The head was about six iches Iong and contained a tongue, which had a sort of ball point at the end, and eight lower and four upper teeth, which were very sharp. Stretching from side to side behind the mouth was a thing like a narrow gill, also golden-colored.

Black Swan.

Friday 11 July 1952, Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954) Trove

Although there have been so many water birds visiting Yorke Peninsula over the last two years very few have bred here. However, on Mr. W. Croser's lake about a mile south of Port Rickaby there was a family of black swan last week—the two parent birds, and four cygnets, no bigger than chicks. Mr. Croser thought the little chaps would be easy to catch, and made a move towards them, but they immediately dived under water, did not re-appear until they had reached the other end of the lake.