... Port Hughes Home Page ...

  • _1210544
  • IMG_0779123
  • _1210475
  • _1210479
  • _1210524
  • _1210505
  • _1210492
  • _1210496
  • _1210495
  • _1210522
  • _1210528
  • _1210534
  • _1210525

SA. A Brilliant Blend

Port Hughes, only two hours away from Adelaide, is a picturesque coastal town with pristine beaches, clear blue green water, and fantastic jetty with great fishing. Ideally located only minutes away from Moonta and Kadina, Port Hughes has one of the prettiest beaches in the northern Yorke Peninsula. The jetty is very popular with fisherman and there are plenty of deep-sea charters to choose from.

Port Hughes was surveyed in 1863 and was named after Sir Watson Hughes, who is one of the founders of the University of Adelaide.

The waters around Port Hughes are clear and calm, and are perfect for families, boating and water sports. Port Hughes is one of the many towns on the peninsula that has a large amount of development going on.

Enjoy jetty or boat fishing, safe swimming and other water sports, or take a stroll along South Beach towards Cape Elizabeth.


Men placing the transportable Harbor Master's Office into position at Port Hughes, South Australia 1916.

State Library of South Australia - PRG 280/1/17/431


Sat 28 April 1866, The Wallaroo Times and Mining Journal (Port Wallaroo, SA : 1865 - 1881) Trove

SIR - Will you allow me a small space your paper to ask whether Government has forgotten there is such a place" as Port Hughes." Something like four years ago this township was sold, to be the seaport town for Moonta. Now, our Moonta storekeepers are trying to get the public to put a jetty at Moonta Bay. For whatreason are we asking this to be the case. It appears that it is every one for himself, but at Moonta Bay it is different from that. They will allow that Port Hughes is the best place, but my brother would not stand so good a chance there. Port Hughes is a Government township, and Mr Square could not put so cheap a house in the latter as he could in the former. At Moonta Bay a pine hut might get licensed, but at Port Hughes the Bench require as good a house as any in Moonta. They could erect a jetty and cut a road to Port Hughes for two thousand pounds less than they could make a jetty at Moonta Bay alone. The distance is scarcely half a mile further in a straight course. Three hundred feet from the rocks will bring them in 15 feet of water; at Moonta Bay it will take about 2000 feet to be in 12 feet of water. I leave the public to judge for themselves, and I say that Government has no right to give them permission to put a jetty at Moonta Bay. They have already sold the land at Port Hughes to be a seaport town for Moonta, and if they give permission to the Moonta storekeepers to put a jetty at the Bay, they are defrauding those that have bought land at Port Hughes. I consider it is the duty of the M.P. of the district to ask the question, or else perhaps at the next election he may be asked the reason why.—

-I am, Sir, &c.,



A new jetty at Port Hughes, near Moonta, South Australia - State Library of South Australia - PRG 280/1/44/343


Sat 9 Jun 1866, Adelaide Observer (SA : 1843 - 1904) Trove

Moonta, June 5. Eight men went on Sunday on a boating excursion at Port Hughes. They were all slightly inebriated. When they were about three-quarters of a mile from shore, one of them attempted to climb the mast, which caused the boat to upset. Three swam ashore, two were drowned while attempting to do so, two clung to the boat until rescued, and one was pulled down by a shark. His remains, when recovered, were fearfully mangled. The names of the men drowned are John Eade, John Hoskin, and Charles Boase. As inquest was held yesterday afternoon. The verdict returned was "Accidental death, caused by the rash act of one of the party, who was drowned."


Thu 7 Jun 1866, The Adelaide Express (SA : 1863 - 1866) Trove

Ail inquest was held before G. F. Wyatt, J.P., and a Jury of 13, on Monday last, on the bodies of John Ead, John Hoskins,' and Charles Boase, who were drowned on Sunday, the 3rd inst., at Port Hughes, by the capsizing of a boat.

Mr. Melvin acted as Foreman. The Jurors, after being sworn, viewed the bodies, and on their return the following evidence was taken :—

James Bryce deposed—I am a miner. I went down to the beaclx yesterday morning, a party of us, about 9 o'clock. After we came down there, went to Mr. Phillips's and had breakfast. Afterwards larked about a little. "Went aboard a fisherman's boat with the owners. When out about a mile John Hoskins, one of the deceased, said he would go up to the top of the mast and take down a handkerchief, which was flying like a flag. I was in the bows of the boat at the time. Said to deceased "I'll bet you a shilling you don't." He then endeavored to climb the mast. Got. up three feet. Charles Boase and I pulled him back. Told him he was mad to attempt it, as the boat would capsize. After we pulled him. down I went aft, not thinking he would again attempt it. My back was towards the bows of the boat. Struck a light, and was about to light my pipe when I saw the gunnel of the boat under water. I then swain away from the boat, as near as I can think, a distance of 50 yards towards shore, Then heard a singing out behind me. Turned round. Saw two men on the boat, two more swimming towards me. The other three were in the water, apart from each other, struggling. Could not reach each other. I then swam towards the boat. "When I reached it saw John Ead rise to the surface; turned up his face, and his cap came off his head, and he sank. I stuck to the boat with two others, and we were about an hour on' the water when a boat came and picked us up. Got into the boat and pulled towards some coats we saw floating. Picked up Charles Boase, quite exhausted; but believe if proper means had been used he might have recovered, as he was still warm.

By the Foreman—There were eight men in the boat.

"Went to the beach about 9 o'clock. I believe we were all sober. We were all sober when we went into the boat. We had drank some beer, but not sufficient to disable any one.

By a Juror—Could not say what time we left the township. We slept at Mr. Gough's house on Saturday night. Left the house about 6 o'clock. Can't tell how many slept at Gough's. All the deceased and one or two others slept there with me.

By the Foreman—We had some intoxicating drink at Gough's before we left. Did not pay for it, nor for our beds. Did not understand we were to pay for it.

By a Juror—We called at a house before we called at Mr. Phillips's. The two men who picked us up were there. Did not get any drink at that house. Asked for breakfast, but got none. Did not ask for any drink. Heard some one say Mr. Phillips is over the hill near the flagstaff, and we went there.- The person told us we might get breakfast there. On Saturday the boat man invited us to come down there.

By a Juror—Had some ham and bread and butter. "We clubbed together, and sent Sir. Phillips to Moonta for some bottled ale and porter. He went and got some. We drank some before we went into the boat. We took some into the boat. All drank some. I did not drink anything in any other house on the way down to the beach. Did not call at any house between Sir. Gough's and the beach, inside the boundary of the township.

George Rowe—I am a miner. I was not in Sir. Gough's on Saturday night or Sunday morning. I wandered about the township all Saturday night. I was with the party on Saturday night, and went with them to the beach on Sunday morning. I was drunk on Saturday night. Know I was with the deceased on Sunday morning. Had breakfast at Phillips's. Did not have any intoxicating drink at Phillips's house. The others clubbed together and sent for some drink. Had some drink with us in the boat; three bottles. We were eight in the boat when we left the shore. After we got out a mile or more, (don't understand much about the sea), John Hoskings wanted to go up to the top of the mast to take off the flag. ' One of his mates pulled him down. When I saw him last, he was about .half the way up the mast. He was asked to get down, but he would go on up the mast. James and John Ead were sitting side by side when the boat turned over. We were all in the water. It was every man for Ms own life. I got to the shore. Did not see any one after I started. Had hard work. Tried to pull off my shoe, but could not. Don't think any one was drunk. Don't remember the conversation before the accident.

By the Foreman—Don't remember if we wer-e at Gough's house before Ave left the toAvnsMp. Had no drink at Port Hughes before we went into the boat. I was sober Avhen I Went to ihe beat. No one told me what to say here. Mr. Gough did not.

By a Juror—I saw Mr. Gough tMs morning. Mr. Gough said he was glad to see us again all right.

By a Juror—Can't recollect standing at Gough's door on Sunday morning.

By the Coroner—I have had no drink this morning. Had some nobblers last night at Mr. Hyde's. Did not see Gough last Mght.

Willam Caseley—I am a miner. I was with the deceased on Saturday night and Sunday moming up to the time they were drowned. We were at Mr. Page's on Saturday night. Left about half-past ten p.m. We went to Mr. Olifent's. John Hoskins took beer away with him. Left about 11 p.m. Went to Opie's. Could not get in. Came down to Page's again. Had nothing to drink. None of us stopped here. We Avandered about the toAvnship till twelve or one. Went to Mr. Gough's to get abed. All went in to Gough's house. Gough told us we could sleep there. I lay on a sofa. John Hoskins took out a bottle of beer. We were all in the same room. I went to sleep ; slept all night. James Bryce woke me in the morrnng, about six o'clock. John Hoskins was asleep. They seemed as if they had been sleeping. Saw no glasses or bottles when I awoke. None of the party were drunk, but just in a merry way. Did not see any one have anything in the house. I tried to get them to go home. They said they would go to the beach, John Hoskins said I should go Avith them. I went. After leaving Gough's house we sat doAvn and smoked our pipes, and then sauntered towards the beach. Did not call at any other house in the township after leaving Gough's. Went over the sandhill, and occasionally sat down before reaching the beach. Went to Mr. Phillips's house. Went inside to light our pipes, sat down, and had breakfast—ham, bread, and fish. Had tea for breakfast. James Bryce sent for some beer by Mr. Phillips, in bottles. Saw him go in his cart. He was away about an hour and a-half. I went to sleep during his absence, and some of the others. John Hoskins awoke me, and asked me to go out in the boat. I said I would go, and went. We first drank four bottles of ale there. After this we want to the beach and entered Phillips's boat. It was on the sand. We launched the boat. John Ead came and said he would go too. We were about starting. John Hoskins carried him to the boat on his back. We hoisted sail and put off to sea. William Cooper told us to come to the hind part of the boat and be quiet. We were not yet seated. We went out about three-quarters of a mile. John Hoskins said he would take the handkerchief down from the mast. Told him not to do so as the boat would capsize. Chas. Boase tried to prevent him. I was aft at the time with Copper. We got up to prevent him. After getting quiet John HosMns went again to the mast, climbed about half way up. the mast, when the boat turned over. He was not drunk, but was not aware of the danger. We were all in the water struggling. I got on to the boat. Cooper got on the boat. Cooper told me to stick to the boat. I refused took off my coat and swam towards the shore. There were two on the boat when I left it. The others were some 20 yards away, deceased could not Swim. They were near each other, but not touching each other. I got to the shore, went to Phillips's and took off my wet clothes. I saw a boat going off towards the accident. It was Hoskins fault that the boat upset.

By the Foreman—Bryce sent Phillips for beer. Gave him money. Did not hear where he was to get the drink. Every one was sober in the boat.

By a Juror—Did not see Gough on Sunday morning nor Mrs. Gough. We had no spirits in the boat. We had two bottles of ale in the boat.

By the Coroner—We opened the door and went out of Gough's house ourselves. Have seen Gough this morning, but had no conversation Avith him. Did not call at any house after leaving Gough's. Did not break any windows. Did not pay Gough for one bed. Have not paid Mm. Don't know wliat lie charges. Never slept there before. Did not see anything drunk there. Saw no money passing. "We called at Johnson's near Phillips's in mistake.

James Cooper said I am a fisherman. I was at Moonta in Mr. Page's on Saturday evening in company of the three deceased. I left about 10 p.m. with Mr. Phillips. "We went home. Took no kind of intoxicating drink with us. On Sunday morning we were all in bed. The children said that five or six men were coming in. Got up. The first two were Charles Boase and Bryce who came up arm-in-arm. I said I did not expect you down to-day, I expected you next Sunday. .They were not exactly drunk, but were a bit on ; so were all the party. They wanted to go out in the boat. I did not care to put the boat out. They came bound to go out they said. I went and launched the boat. We were eight in the boat; six besides my mate and myself. They drank some beer in PMilips's house. Cannot tell how much. They drank some beer on the beach too. Took three bottles of ale in the boat. Hoskins was worse than the others; was well on. He was headstrong, and wanted to go to the masthead. We were about halfa-mile from the shore when the boat turned over. I was steering it. I told Hoskins not to climb the mast. He persisted. Nothing else caused the accident. I tried o let go the mainsheet, to get the boat over, but it turned over at once. I stuck to the boat on the weather side. I saw Ead lift up Ms arm and sink. Hoskins groaned and sank. A shark must have caught him. Boase floated on the water with Ms face down. I rendered no assistance. I could not swim. Had nothing to throw to them. We were taken off the boat, three of us, by a boat. I tried all I could to find the bodies.

By the Foreman—The men clubbed together to send for beer. Charles Boase was the first to be brought to shore. My mate and I were perfectly sober. All the party were under the influence of drink.

By a Juror—The sheet was fast when the boat went over.

By the Coroner—I told the men I would put back unless they would be quiet.

Charles Johnson said—I am a fisherman. On Sunday morning my mate called out the boat is sunk. I sent myjmen to launch one of my boats, and go to render assistance, and brought off four men, three alive and one dead. Boase's body was afloat. We tried to bring the man alive, but failed. I could not catch the mare, but Phillips sent Ms horse with a man, for a doctor. I went-round the beach to try if I could see the other bodies. Could not see them. The men called at my house, they were more or less intoxicated.

"Walter Phillips—I am a fisherman. On Sunday morning, I was in bed when the party arrived. Got up directly. They asked me if I had any drink in the house. I said "No." They asked me if I would get some. I harnessed my horse, and went for the drink into the township. I fetched a case of beer. They did not subscribe enough to pay for it all, but said they would pay me some other time. I opened the case. They drank three bottles, and took four bottles to the boat. The beer was theirs, not mine. I got the beer at Mr. Olifent's. It is not paid for yet. I am liable for the cost. Mr. Olifent served me. I saw the boat go over. I was at the corner of my house. I ran down and cooeyed to Mr. Johnson's party. We launched Mr. Johnson's boat. They (Johnson's three men) went off to it, and rescued three. I walked round the beach, to try to see some of the bodies, but saw none. I said I could not leave for a doctor, but said there is my horse, any one can take him. Joseph Symms went for the doctor. The body was quite dead when I saw it. This was before the doctor came. The two other bodies were washed ashore.

David Teate, police-constable, said—Testerd, about 20 minutes past 1, Joseph Symms came and reported that three men were drowned at Port Hughes. Went to the place. The body of Boase was out of the j water. Searched the body. Found 2s. in silver, 9d. in coppers. The body of John Ead washed ashore about half-past 4. Searched him. Found two £1 notes, 7s. 6d. silver, half-penny copper. Got the two bodies and conveyed them to the rear of Page's Hotel. This morning, about a quarter-past 3, Police-constable Sayers searched the beach and recovered the body of Hoskins on the beach about 4 o'clock. Found 5s. 3d. in silver in Hoskins's pocket, and 7d. in coppers. The bodies are now at the rear of Page's Hotel.

The Jury returned the following verdict The deceased came to their death by drowning from the upsetting of a boat at Port Hughes, caused by the rash act of John Hoskins in climbing the mast, he being at the time under the influence of drink."


Men working on the new jetty at Port Hughes, near Moonta, South Australia 1912 - State Library of South Australia - PRG 280/1/16/56


- State Library of South Australia - B 33913 Loading Grain at Port Hughes jetty 1920


State Library of South Australia - B 34826 - "Moonta" at Port Hughes jetty 1927


A horse drawn vehicle and an early make motor car wait outside the new goods shed at Port Hughes jetty, near Moonta in South Australia

- State Library of South Australia - PRG 280/1/16/57


Sat 17 May 1913, The Kadina and Wallaroo Times (SA : 1888 - 1954 Trove

The Kadina District Council and the Moonta Corporation have arranged a programma for the offioial opening of the racently completed Port Hughes jetty, which residents of Moonta and surroanding district are very bopefol will develop into a very busy shipping port. With the object of assisting the consummation of this desirable object steps are now being taken to consider the advisableness of asking the Government to connect the Jetty with the Peninsula railway system and of extending the railway down the Peninsula as far as Maitland. The Acting Premier (Hon B. Butler) has consented to perform the opening ceremony which will take place at 2 p.m. on Wednesday next. Following the opening ceremony a banquet will be held in the goods shed at the shore end of the jetty, which will be presided oyer by the Chairman of the Kadina District Council (Mr A. Rodda). After the loyal toast has been honored the Mayor of Moonta (Mr S. Hill) will submit the toast, " The Ministry and Parliament," which will be responded to by the Acting Premier (Hon R. Butler) and the Hon J. Verran, senior member for Wallaroo and Leader of the Opposition. Other toasts included on the programme are " Agricultural and Commercial Interests" to be proposed by Cr W. R. Stephenson (Chairman of Clinton District Council), and responded to by Cr J. Malcolm and Mr W. H. Goldsworty (ex-Mayor of Moonta); ; Milling Interests," to be proposed by Mr W. Cowling (ex-Mayor of Moonta) and to be responded by Mr H. L. Hancock, General Manager Wallaroo and Moonta Mining Company. Invitations to attend the opening ceremony and the banquet have been issued to representatives of local government bodies of the district, members of Parliament, and prominent citizens.

Mr Butler has been invited to address a meeting in the evening at the Moonta Institute Hall, and arrangements are being made for a deputation to wait npon him with reference to the unemployed.


Sat 24 May 1913, Chronicle (Adelaide, SA : 1895 - 1954) Trove

May 21. The Acting Premier (Hon. R. Butler) visited Moonta to-day in connection with the opening of the Port Hughes jetty. Prior to the ceremony Mr, Butler received several deputations in the council chambers. They were introduced by the Hon. J. Verran. M.P . The deputations dealt with the question of the unemployed in the neighborhood— these number about 70 — the Yelta mine, and a railway, from Moonta to Maitland, taking in Agery, Arthurton,. and other prosperous farming districts between the two principal towns.

The party then proceeded to Port Hughes in drags, motors, and other conveyances, and were greeted by a large and enthusiastic gathering of farmers and others. The proceedings were arranged by the Kadina District Council and the Moonta Corporation. The jetty was first inspected and pronounced a fine modern structure. The Governor Musgrave, which was berthed alongside, was flying bunting. The shore end of the jetty was also decorated with flags. The speakers occupied a platform near tihe shore. Prominent gentlemen on the platform with Mr. Butler were the chairman, of the Kadina District Council (Mr. A. Rodda), who presided; the chairman of tihe Clinton District Council (Mr. W. R. Stephenson) the members for the district, the mayors of Moonta (Mr. S. Hill), Maitland (Mr. J. Tiddy), and Kadina (Mr. Bill,), and councillors from each body mentioned Mr. Arthur Searcy (president of the Marine Board), and a number of exmayors.

The Chairman said a jetty was advocated 50 years ago to be built on the spot the new structure occupied, but other interests intervened. The interest manifested in the welfare of the district was demonstrated by the great crowd present. He expressed the hope that the expense incurred in the construction of the jetty would lead to increased trade and prove to be money well spent.

Mr. Butler said it afforded him great pleasure to accept the invitation of the Kadina District Council to perform the opening ceremony. As a producer, he realised the necessity for suitable harbor accommodation. South Australia was indebted to a yery large extent to the producers for the prosperity it now enjoyed. The producers had combined science with practice, which doubled and trebled their produce. The jetty on which they stood cost £18,330, and the 2.5-mile road to Moonta £5,000; a total of over £23,000. He hoped the jetty would pay as well as several other jetties on Yorke Peninsula. He believed the Wallaroo jetty returned 12 per cent, on the outlay, and others were equally good. The contractors, Messrs. Lewis & Reid, had done their work well, and he hoped the producers in the district would not forget that the structure was there for their convenience and for such trade as they could bring over it.

Mr. Major (ex-mayor) replied on behalf of the contractors. Then Mr. Butler cut the ribbons and declared the jetty open for traffic. Mr. Verran called for cheers for the prosperity of the jetty, and also for the Minister.

An adjournment was made to the spacious goods shed, where a banquet was laid, and Councillor Rodda presided. A toast list was submitted. The chairman gave 'The King,' and the Mayor of Moonta submitted ''The Ministry and Parliament." He extended a hearty welcome to the present leader of the Government, and congratulated Parliament on the splendid programme of development work carried through last session. Knowing the Acting Premier's desire to give consideration to all worthy proposals, it was their intention to lay before him later on that day facts and figures regarding the proposed railway from this important port, which, it was hoped, would have the effect of inducing him to recommend it strongly to his Cabinet for their early consideration. He would be asked that Port Hughes be connected with the prosperous district of Clinton, Tipara, Cunningham, and Maitland by means of a railway, and from figures supplied by the Government Statistician of production from the areas under cultivation which the railway would serve, it was considered that revenue would be received of about 8 per cent, on the cost. This, he felt certain, Mr. Butler, as a business man, would say, was more than sufficient to justify its construction. The districts which it was proposed to traverse were equal to the best portions of the State. The figures indicated a very satisfactory wheat yield. The farmers in the past had been at great disadvantage with regard to economically placing their produce on board ship. The port afforded every convenience to shipping and he hoped no long time would elapse before the line was built.

Mr. Butler, responding, said he appreciated the Mayor's remarks regarding the Government's extensive programme of public works. There were railway construction, drainage in the South-East, and water schemes. They intended to push on with that kind of work. South Australia was practically the only State in the union where, as the result of the increase of duties, the outcome of enlarged districts, and the increase in the cost of living, legislators bad not been granted increased salaries. There was no State in the Commonwealth whose members of Parliament were more devoted to their public duties than those in South Australia. In this respect the Labor Party in all the States set a good example. There was a growing feeling in favor of an increase of salaries being paid members of Parliament. The opinion was practically unanimous among the Labor Party and also among members of the Government and Liberals. He, however, desired to point out that it would be nonsense to ask for a higher salary if the electors, by voting 'Yes' on May 31, relieved members of a considerable portion of their duties. These proposals were close up to unification. His Government strongly suported Home Rule.

Mr. Verran replied on behalf of Parliament, and said the present Government were always seeking to advance their own cause at the expense of the other side. The railways Mr. Butler spoke of were simply what the Labor Government had left on the table for them. Mr. Butler had indulged himself up to the hilt in Federal politics, but he thought the people of South Australia were quite capable of looking after their own interests on May 31. The questions contained in the referenda had for their object the benefit of the people as a whole, and were absolutely right and just. Mr. Butlers remarks about unification were ridiculous, for their were quite as many unifications on the Liberal as the Labor side. Was not John Darling, who dictated the Liberal policy, himself a unificationist?

Mr. W. R. Stephenson gave "Agriculture and commerce" Mr. W. H. Goldsworthy responding, and Mr. W. Cowling "The mining industry,'' Mr. H. W. Uffindell responding.


Fri 4 Jun 1920, Yorke's Peninsula Advertiser (SA : 1878 - 1922) Trove

A large fish, measuring about 25ft. in. length and estimated to weigh, two tons, was found stranded at Port Hughes on Tuesday morning by the local harbourmaster, Mr Retallick. The fish, which was dead when found, wa secured by Messrs Retallick, Anderson, and Jeffery, who it is understood are negotiating for its sale to one of the soapworks. At first the fish was believed to be a young whale, but some of the fishermen are of opinion that it is a "blackfish".


Fri 10 Jun 1921, Port Adelaide News (SA :1913 - 1933) Trove

The ketch, Lillie May, which had been engaged carrying wheat between Port Victoria and Wallaroo, was discovered sunk in 61 fathoms of water, about a mile outside of the buoy at Cape Elizabeth, Spencer's Gulf, by the Adelaide Steamship Company's Quorna, on Monday morning.

It is a mystery as to how the vessel came to be in the position in which she was discovered. All of the sails were fully set when she was found, as if the vessel had sunk in a very few minutes. No member of the five people on board when she left Port Victoria have been discovered up to the present, and it seems almost certain that they lost their lives when the vessel went down. The personnel af the crew, according to the last advices received by the agents at Port Adelaide, Messrs. R. Fricker and Co., comprised the master, Mr. Percival Anderson and his wife and child (a boy 6 years of age), and Messrs. Leslie Ripley, of Birkenhead, and J. Johanneson, whose address is unknown.

The first intimation that there was anything wrong was when Captain Gustafsen, of the Quorna, reported to the harbormasters at Wallaroo and Port Hughes that when passing Cape Elizabeth on Monday morning the top of a mast with a sail set was noticed above the water about a mile outside of the Cape Elizabeth buoy, in 6.5 fathoms of water. The Quorna examined around the spot, but failed to find any trace of the crew and then went on to the Ports named.

The Harbormaster at Port Hughes immediately visited the sunken ketch in a motor boat, but owing to darkness setting in was unable to do anything. On Tuesday morning he again visited the wreck, and found that a small dinghy was still attached to the ketch. This was salved and taken ashore, and a light was fixed to the mast of the vessel. As the Lillie May was known to have carried one dinghy only, that made the fate of the crew seem more certain than before. The harbormaster also paid a visit to the Tipera Lighthouse, which is in the vicinity of where the ketch was found, but the crew had not landed, there. Throughout the week a close watch has been kept along the foreshore around the spot, but without results.

On Wednesdav the part-owners of the ketch, Messrs. A. MacFarlane and Sons, of Birkenhead, were served with a notice to remove the wreck from its present position within three weeks. Mr. MacFarlane is at present at Port Victoria, and will inspect the ketch while there.

The Lillie May is a ketch of 43"tons register, with a length of 67ft., beam 18ft, and depth 6ft. She was built at Hobant in 1889, and is owned by Mr. Anderson and Messrs. A. MacFarlane and Sons.


Fri 10 Jun 1921, Recorder (Port Pirie, SA : 1919 - 1954) Trove

Expressions of regret were voiced in shipping circles in Pirie yesterday at the wreck of the ketch Liliie May off Cape Elizabeth, in Spencers Gulf, more particularly when it became known that Captain Percy Anderson and his wife, who are missing, were until recently residents of Pirie.

Captain Percy Anderson was a son of the late Captain George Anderson, and was born in Pirie some 31 years ago. He has been connected with the sea all his life, and was for years in charge of his father's ketches; Merle and Evelyn, which traded to Port Broughton and the gulf ports. Subsequently he was in the service of the Adelaide Steam Tug Company, and had charge of the tug Nelcebee, and various barges.

Captain Anderson and his wife left Pirie about 12 months ago for Port Adelaide, where they took up their residence. In December last, he joined Mr McFarlane, of Adelaide, in purchasing the ketch Liliie May, and has latterly been engaged in carrying wheat between Port Victoria and Wallaroo.


Tue 28 Jun 1921, Recorder (Port Pirie, SA : 1919 - 1954) Trove

When the investigation parly, consistjng Capt. H. Little, diver: Edward Cook and Mr. McFadam; (part owner) reached the wrecked ketch Lillie May off Cape Elizabeth last week, the submerged vessel was found in seven fathoms of water, about two miles from the shore and on a sandy bottom. Both her masts are protruding above the surface of the sea. The diver made an investigation, which extended over an hour and a half. He stated that everything about the ill-fated ketch appeared to be intact, and that no hole could be found anywhere in the sides or bottom of the vessel. The cabin was closed. He opened the hatchway, but owing to its smallness he was unable to enter with his diving suit on. He believes there are bodies inside the ketch, but it will be necessary to remove the roof of the cabin to determine that matter. The owners intend to remove the masts and other deck gear and to abandon the vessel, as it lies out of the usual ships course, and therefore is not considered dangerous to navigation. The diver confirms the opinion that the ketch in passing the reef off Cape Elizabeth during a heavy squall foundered in the trough of the sea.

It is thought that the captain and the two seamen were on deck at the time of the disaster, and that Mrs. Anderson and her son were in the cabin. The boat was carrying 750 bags of Wheat. Owing to the prevailing winds and tide at the time of the disaster, it is improbable that any bodies would be washed ashore.


Fri 5 Aug 1921, Port Adelaide News (SA :1913 - 1933) Trove

During the week a communication received from Moonta stated that the body of Mrs. Anderson, the wife of the captain of the wrecked ketch Lily May, which went down off Port Hughes on Sunday, June 5, had been discovered three miles from Port Hughes, on the beach on Monday, and on Tuesday the body of Captain Anderson's six-year-old son was discovered on the beach at almost the same spot. Both bodies had been washed ashore and considering their two months immersion in the sea, were in a remarkable state of preservation. A portion of the cabin of the kecth was found not far away. The weather was very rough for a few days, and huge waves were breaking up the ketch, and it would seem as if the bodies have been in the ketch all along, notwithstanding the diver's report to the contrary. The bodies were interred together on Tuesday afternoon in the presence of about 100 people.


Sat 25 Feb 1922, Chronicle (Adelaide, SA : 1895 - 1954) Trove

Mr. Harry Whenan, in the employ of Mr. T. Lathlean, Moonta, was on Tuesday bringing a trolly-load of goods from Port Hughes, consisting of cases weighing about 28 cwt. When turning from William-street into Robert-street he was dislodged from the trolly and dragged for about a chain. No one witnessed the accident but it is surmised that as he fell his feet were caught in the fore-carriage of the trolly, and that the front wheel kept jarring his neck and face, to which the injuries were confined. He was taken to the hospital, where he died about three hours later. He was a son of Mr. W. Whenan, Moonta. He was about 40 years of age, and leaves a widow and eight children.


Wed 1 Sep 1926, The Kadina and Wallaroo Times (SA : 1888 - 1954) Trove

The increasing popularity of Port Hughes for the motorist, who is drawn by its quietness and its fine beaches, apart from its fishing facilities, has urged the District Council of Kadina to be up and doing in regard to making the precincts convenient and attractive. The Moonta ward Councillors (Messrs R. C. Kitto and G E. Page) have also bestirred themselves, and the first object aimed at was the construction of a piece of road to give access to the magnificent stretch of south beach. A road fund to defray part cost of metalling a stretch of road was initiated at Moonta and the result was very good indeed. The Harbors Board was also approached, and that body agreed to defray the cost of portion of the new road. Thus the project was supported by ths Council, the Harbors Board and the citizens and on Saturday last the Kadina District Council works committee reported that the road giving access to the beach was now completed except rolling. The excellent rain since then will give opportunity to consolidate the new metal and the road will be ready to accommodate the summer traffic.

It is the intention of the Council to reserve this road for light traffic only, and sand carters and other heavy traffic will not be allowed to use the new road. A notice board to that effect is to be erected and there will be penalities for law breakers. A further, matter of interest is the extension of the water main to Pt. Hughes, which is absolutely essential with the increase of vehicular traffic to this place. It is understood that the main at present terminates at Sims Cove and the extention costs should thus be far from heavy. Cr Kitto moved on Saturday that the department be approached in the matter, and if the work can be sanctioned and expedited it should be complete in time for the warm weather.


Sat 2 Jul 1927, Chronicle (Adelaide, SA : 1895 - 1954) Trove

Moonta, June 22. Mr. F. Spry, who represents the Y.P. Barley Producers, Ltd., at Moonta and district, had a mishap at Port Hughes today. The steamer Broadway was at the jetty loading, barley for Melbourne, on account of the company, and during the luncheon hour he was in the act of stepping from the boat to the jetty, when he slipped and fell between the vessel mid the spring piles into the water. Coming to the surface after sinking a considerable depth, he managed to lay hold of a cross-stay of the jetty, to which he clung until rescued from his unenviable position. As it was only a step between the vessel and jetty, Mr. Spry was exceedingly fortunate in escaping with a few bruises and a very cold bath.


Wed 9 Nov 1927, The Kadina and Wallaroo Times (SA : 1888 - 1954) Trove

A case of drowning was narrowly averted at Port Hughes on Sunday afternoon, by the prompt action of skipper Jack Bird, of the Government light service boat, Conqueror, which was in port, says the "People's Weekly." A party of relatives and friends of Mr Bird were accompanying him up the jetty for the purpose of boarding the boat and listening in to the wireless. By some means, when half way up the jetty, the six-year-old son of Mr Peter Sampson of Kadina (erstwhile of Moonta), fell into the water. A rough sea was running at the time, rendered so by a strong tide and stiff breeze. Realising the position, Mr Bird handed his cap and wallet to one of the party, and immediately dived in after the lad, and, as the result of a strenuous effort, effected a timely rescue by bringing him to one of the cross rails of the jetty. A boat from the Conqueror was quickly manned, and conveyed them to the vessel, where the lad received attention. He was later motored to his home at Kadina, apparently little the worse for his adventure. We understand the case is being brought under the notice of the Royal Humane Society.


Sat 29 Dec 1934, The Kadina and Wallaroo Times (SA : 1888 - 1954) Trove

While fishing from the jetty at Port Hughes about 5.30 p.m. on Tuesday, December 25 (Christntas Day), J. Ernest Dunstan, 28, of Seaview street, Fullarton, fell into the Water and was drowned. Rescue attempts were made by three men, none of whom could swim, and his wife had to be restrained from throwing herself into the water.

Mr Dunstan, who is native of Moonta, arrived there last Saturday to spend a holiday with Mr Percy Croxton, of Moonta Mines. He was fishing from a lower stage of the jetty while Mr Croxton was nearer the shore end.

While hauling in a fish, he slipped and fell into 20ft. of water. Mrs Dunstan who was standing on the jetty above him called for help, and Croxton made an unsuccessful attempt to reach him with the grappling pole. Cyril William Malpas, of North Unley, and Henry Cyril Cocks, of East Moonta, tried to free the life buoy, but without success.

The body was recovered by Harry Datson and William Stanley Carter, who were fishing from a motor boat nearby and resuscitation efforts were applied; without result. Dunstan had been under medidal treatment and following an operation for appendicitis was subject to fits of giddiness.

Motor Car Submersed

Wed 28 Sep 1938, The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1931 - 1954) Trove

September 26. On Sunday a de luxe taxi service car with passengers from Adelaide, essayed to proceed from Port Hughes along the beach in the direction of Cape Elizabeth and got stuck in the sand. The car had to be temporarily abandoned, and the high tide coming in later practically submerged it. It was recovered this morning by Mr. Chapman, of Chapman's Garage with the aid of three horse, and It now receiving attention at the garage.


Wed 5 Apr 1939, The Kadina and Wallaroo Times (SA : 1888 - 1954) Trove

Zane Grey, the noted American novelist and big game fisherman is now at Port Lincoln, for further angling exploits. It is quite within the realm of possibility that he may decide to visit Port Hughes, when he hears of the achievement this week of one of our local anglers, when was an unexpected result, and, therefore, was undesigned. But one never knows one's luck at fishing.

The angler in question, Roy Tregoning, of Moonta Mines, was at the time in quest of big yellowtails, and was plying a fairly stout line to which was attached a large hook, and half a 'gardy' was used as bait. To his surprise a shark took the bait, and, after 'playing' it for some time, it was hauled alongside the jetty, where it received a stunning blow from one of the many assistants, who climbed down the piles of the jetty for that purpose. A noose was also fixed, and the shark was eventually hauled on to the jetty, where it was found to measure seven feet.

As the result of his exploit. Mr Tregoning has been dubbed 'the local Zane Grey' by his pals. As shark flesh has been proclaimed good for edible purposes, pieces were taken home by some of the assistants for a try out with what result we have not yet been advised. This incident may be an incentive to local anglers for greater adventure.

Several good sized sharks have also been noted recently at Wallaroo, being from 5ft. to over 9ft. in length. No one, however, has been prepared for this "big game" business, and thus the monsters have been immune. On Saturday last, however, an attempt was made to hook a big fellow who has been about tor over a week, but without any luck. Bathers in the open should exercise care, as the sharks have been cruising about in very shallow water.

On Monday Messrs S. Grillett and F. Goodfelow were more fortunate, and succeeded in landing a shark about 9ft. long. They are fearsome looking monsters when seen on land, and are aptly called the "Tigers of the Sea."

MOONTA MAN DEAD Fell From Port Hughes Jetty.

Mon 1 Sep 1941, Recorder (Port Pirie, SA : 1919 - 1954) Trove

ADELAIDE. Sunday. HARRY Richards (53), billiards saloon proprieter of George street, Moonta fell into the sea and was drowned. He had been fishing from Port Hughes Jetty today and fell from the structure. Police and others searched for his body, without result, until late tonight.

Richards left a widow and two daughters. It had been his custom for many years to fish from the jetty.


Wed 3 Sep 1941, The Kadina and Wallaroo Times (SA : 1888 - 1954) Trove

The residents of Moonta and district were shocked to learn on Sunday night that : Mr Harry Richards, proprietor of the billiard saloon in George Street, Moonta, had, fallen into the sea off the Port Hughes jetty that afternoon, and been drowned. It appears that Mr and Mrs Richards both of whom are keen anglers, were preparing to leave again by car for home. Mrs Richards readied the vehicle first and after waiting for some time for her husband went back to look for him. In this she was unsuccessful, and the police were subsequently informed of the occurrence. It is believed that Mr Richards by some means fell into the sea and was drowned. Search for the body is being made, but until Tuesday night it had not been recovered.

Mr. Richards, who was 73, leaves a wife and two married daughters. He was a most popular and widely known. In his earlier years he played football and cricket successfully. He also owned the race horse Cannon years ago, and was altogether greatly interested in sport. As a young man he was a first-class comedian, and organised many minstrel parties with himself as a "cornerman." , He was also a proficient bandsman. In later years he took up angling, and spent his leisure regularly at Port Hughes. Deep sympathy is felt for the bereaved wife and family.

Whales In Spencer Gulf

Fri 23 Feb 1949, Recorder (Port Pirie, SA : 1919 - 1954) Trove

Two whales (probably a mother and a calf) visited Port Hughes recently. They disported there for some hours, sometimes within 40 yds. of the jetty, after which they headed for the open sea. They also paid a visit to Moonta Bay, going in close to the jetty.

When two Wallaroo fishermen were out from Point Riley in their boat they noticed waves breaking over what they thought was a wreck. On investigation they discovered it to be a huge whale.

Many years ago three whales of various sizes were driven on to the beaches near Tickera.

Whales play near jetty

Sat 10 Sep 1949, The Mail (Adelaide, SA : 1912 - 1954) Trove

Two whales, one about 50 ft. long, astounded residents of Port Hughes when they appeared suddenly off the jetty this afternoon. The whales surfaced about 40 yeards from the jetty and remained in the vicinity until about 6 p.m. when they headed for the open sea. A resident of Port Hughes, Mr. H. A. Dowling, said the whales, which appeared to be mother and calf, were the first seen at Port Hughes. He said they played for hours round the jetty, the mother sometimes lifting her huge bulk right out of the water.