... Hardwicke Bay Home Page ...


Yorke Peninsula Visitor Information Centre - Hardwicke Bay

217 kms from Adelaide. Hardwicke Bay was named by Matthew Flinders after the Earl of Hardwicke .....

District Council of Yorke Peninsula - Hardwicke Bay

Hardwicke Bay was named by Captain Flinders after the one-time Right Hounourable Charles Philip Yorke, who was now the Earl of Hardwicke and First Lord of the Admiralty. Captain Flinders also honoured him by bestowing the name of Yorke on the Peninsula*. *The Geology of Yorke Peninsula. Page 9

The bay is a popular spot with campers and anglers. The sand dunes of the area have been recently receiving a good deal of attention by riders of trail bikes and dune buggies. Action is being considered by the Department of Environment and Planning to have some areas fenced off to prevent the sand dunes and native vegetation from being decimated. The State Government plans to make $35,000 available to fence off areas at Minlacowie, Port Rickaby and Port Victoria; also south of Adelaide at Moana*. *"The Advertiser", 16th August, 1982

At nearby Bluff Beach are boat davits which are used by some local fishermen to hoist their boats out of the water in times of bad weather. Erected about 1925 they used to accomodate six boats, but since the 1954 storm only two remain.

Hardwicke Bay,

Sat 21 Dec 1872, South Australian Chronicle and Weekly Mail (Adelaide, SA : 1868 - 1881) Trove

December 17. A public meeting of the inhabitants of Para Wurlie and Maroowie was held at the residence of Mr. Young on Thursday, the 12th, with the view of getting post-office opened in the district. Mr. Robertson was voted to the chair, and shortly explained the object for which the meeting had been called. Mr. Vigor moved the first resolution which was to the effect that a memorial be drawn up and forwarded to the Postmaster General, praying him to grant us an office within the district, as Orrie Cowie, our nearest post-office, is distant about five miles from the nearest settler. Seconded by Mr. O'Grady, and carried unanimously. Some discussion took place regarding the name it should be called, when. Mr. Young proposed that it be named: Warooka, being the native name of a well in the neighborhood, which was ultimately agreed to. Mr. Vigar proposed that Mr. Nicholas Player be nominated postmaster, his residence being most centrally situated, and almost close to the present mail route ; supported at some length by Mr. Thyer ; and Mr. Player having consented to undertake the duties connected therewith, the proposition was carried. The following gentlemen were appointed a Committee to draw up a memorial and forward it to the Postmaster-General, viz. :— Messrs. J. Young, W. O'Grady, and T. Robertson. A vote of thanks to the Chairman brought a very orderly meeting to a close. — As anything in the shape of news from this part of the country seldom appears in your columns, allow me a word or two about our harvest prospects. The crops all over the district are very good, and the sample first-class ; in some cases the yield will be from 30 to 40 bushels an acre, although the general average will be considerably under that figure. The climate here is very salubrious, the spot being nearly surrounded by the sea. Hot winds are rare and locusts are unknown. Although the land is pretty thickly timbered it is confidently expected that in no long time this will be an important wheat-growing country. Barley and potatoes have also been tried and appear to grow very well, the latter of very superior quality. To-day the weather is cloudy with a stiff westerly breeze.


Sat 23 May 1874, South Australian Chronicle and Weekly Mail (Adelaide, SA : 1868 - 1881) Trove

Seeding operations are now the order of the day in this neighborhood. Farmers are looking forward to another prosperous season. The increase of land under cultivation this year is considerably larger than last.— It is to be hoped that the Government will comply with the requisition which is presented from the landholders in this district for a jetty at Hardwick Bay, for if the season is a good one doubtless there will be a large quantity of wheat to ship. At present the people here are at a great disadvantage in having to go a distance of 25 or 30 miles to Salt Creek or Edithburg for their goods, whereas if there was a jetty, the trading vessels from Port Adelaide to Wallaroo, by calling there, would place the residents at Hardwick Bay in direct communication with Adelaide.


Sat 15 Jul 1876, South Australian Chronicle and Weekly Mail (Adelaide, SA : 1868 - 1881) Trove

July 4. The weather in this district at the present time is all that could be desired; we had a fine rain last night. We see an occasional letter in the paper dated Warooka, and as many newspaper readers do not know where Warooka is, I may inform them that it is situated on Yorke's Peninsula, and is the post-office and township of this district, situated on Mount Hardwicke, two miles and a half south of highwater mark, or five miles from Port Hardwicke, situate at Point Turton, the proposed site of our jetty. The farmers of this district have been much inconvenienced for the last four years for the want of a jetty, having to slide the bags of wheat down the side of the cliff on boards from eighty to one hundred feet, in order to get them into the boat, and much of our imports have to be carried and dragged up the cliff. Straight through the middle of the Hundred of Moorowie from Hardwicke Bay to Sturt Bay on the south is a swamp, and the western portion of Moorowie joins the Hundred of Parawurlie on the west, forming one district. These lands raise at present something like 10,000 bags of wheat, and most of it is shipped at Port Hardwicke, and we have land yet unsurveyed which will grow wheat. Any one can see that we are in great need of a jetty ; the labor required at present in shipping wheat is immense. — On rising this morning (4th July) we were delighted on looking over at Point Turton to see the Government steamer, Governor Musgrave, having on board the President of the Marine Board, the Harbor Engineer, and other gentlemen, who were met by Messrs. Hammill & Bawden, who pointed out the site of the jetty, and the inconvenience we were put to for the want of it. We believe they saw the need of immediate action in the matter. The site was surveyed a year and a half ago. We hope the Government will go on with the work at once, that we may have the benefit of the jetty next harvest. This district has paid nearly £20,000 into the Treasury, therefore it deserves some consideration.


Tue 13 Nov 1877, Evening Journal (Adelaide, SA : 1869 - 1912) Trove

Messrs. Pizey & Reed offered for sale at White's Booms, on Tuesday, November 13, the Township of Hardwicke Bay, Yorke's Peninsula, but the bidding was exceedingly slow. The only allotment sold was No. 9, 66 feet by 165 feet, at £1 per foot.


Sat 17 Jan 1880, South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA : 1839 - 1900) Trove

An inquest was held at Spring Farm, Hardwicke Bay, by Mr. E. Ward, J.P., on January 13, to enquire into the origin of a fire which occurred there on December 16, and burnt a few acres of grass, some fencingg, and just touched a crop of wheat. Mr. James Hammill was chosen foreman of the Jury. The Coroner addressed the Jury in reference to the very careless use of matches exercised by men on farms, and as to the probable cause of so many fires, pointing out that if the enquiry resulted in no other good than making persons more careful with matches, &c, the time tbey would lose from their reaping machines wonld be well spent.

James Dunstall, farmer, said the fire occurred on December 16. He first noticed it at about 10 minutes to 2 p.m. No men had been working near the place that day, and he had not the slightest idea how it occurred. By a Juror— Had not seen glass-bottles about there. There was not much traffic on the coast-track there. By Police trooper Dowling — He had heard that day that two boys, Thomas McCarthy and Darby O'Shanghnessy, were seen smoking on the farm on the day of the fire. He saw the boys that day going along the road on the south side of his section at 11 o'clock. The fire occurred on the north side. They called at his place, but stopped only a few minutes, and started to go to the Peasy, not in the direction of the fire. About three hours after they left witness saw the fire. Benjamin Horn, who was working for Mr. Dunstall, said he was one of the earliest at the fire. It had not got into the wheat when he got to it. By Police-trooper Dowling — Had not been working where the fire occurred. He saw the boys at the farm on the morning of the fire, but did not think there was anything in the rumour about them. By the Foreman — It was the day before the fire some blocks were there, coming from Point Turton to the Brutus. He did not know where they camped that night, but he saw them on the beach.

Frederick Hickman, labourer, said be was living at Brutus Castle at the time of the fire, but on the day tbe fire occurred he was at Orrie Cowie Station. He went with others to put it out. By Police-trooper Dowling— He had a lad in his employ named Thomas McCarthy. He left him at the Brutus about 6 a.m. The Brutus was two miles west of where the fire occurred. He asked witness in the morning if he could have a couple of days to go to the Peasy to see his brother. He went back about 7 o'clock on the following evening. By a Juror— McCarthy used to smoke. By Police-trooper Dowling— He could not say what kind of matches be used or how he carried them. He had never seen him smoking in the open air. By the Foreman — Witness did not hear of any blacks being there He did not hear anything about McCarthy being about the fire until that day.

Police-trooper Dolling said he was not present on the day of the fire, but had since examined the ground. A few acres of grass were burnt, and three chains of log-fencing. In one place the fire reached a standing crop, but the assistance at hand prevented it from spreading. He had made all possible enquiries for the purpose of the inquest, but had not been able to obtain any proof of how the fire actually occurred. The rumour about the two boys was only mentioned to him that day. He had made every endeavour since to obtain further information about that rumour, but could not obtain more than the evidence given.

The Jury returned the following verdict :— 'The Jury are of opinion that there is no evidence to show how, the fire originated.' They added a rider to the effect that the Government should be requested to issue circulars to farmers and others containing a clause of the Bush Fires Act cautioning persons from smoking in the open air near crops, stacks, and paddocks of grass, &c. ; also that special instructions should be given to troopers and Crown Land's Rangers to caution natives to put out their fires.


Sat 22 Aug 1885, South Australian Weekly Chronicle (Adelaide, SA : 1881 - 1889) Trove

August 15. Splendid rains have fallen during the past few days, the showers being by far the heaviest we have had this season. About an inch and a quarter has been registered. The rains have been accompanied by boisterous winds. The Government school at Hardwicke Bay was partly blown down, but beyond a few trees torn up no other casualties have been reported. The rain was needed, as in many parts of the district vegetation had been suffering from the dry frosty weather. Feed is not very plentiful for stock owing to the severe frosts, but a few days bright sunshine after this timely rain will effect material benefit. — An influential committee has been formed to arrange for another exhibition being held at Christmas similar to last year's. Mr. M. L. Warren, as hon. secretary, is endeavoring to render it a success, and in doing so is well supported by the committee and townspeople.

Shocking Fatality at Point Turton.

Sat 19 Dec 1903, The Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954) Trove

Point Turton, Hardwicke Bay, was the scene of a terrible accident on Monday morning, the 14th instant, resulting in the death of the cook of the 300 ton brigantine, Annie Brown, flax laden for Port Pirie. From particulars supplied by one of the ship's company, it appears that at about half-past nine, Augusta di Soucci, 54 years of ago, a native of the Portuguese island of Madeira, took temporary charge of the steatn windlass used for hoisting the flux aboard, and whilst working the same was struck on the head by a 19 lb cast iron cog wheel falling from a height of about 25 feet. This wheel was fastened to the hoisting gear for the purpose of steadying the tackle, and by some course it became disconnected, and descending like a thunder-bolt crashed, on the skull of the unfortunate man with almost instantaneous fatal consequences. As speedily as possible the Yorketown police and the doctor were communicated with by wire from Warooka, and early in the afternoon they they were taken on board the vessel, which was anchored at a short distance from the jetty. After inspecting the scene of the mishap, a coroner's inquiry was not considered necessary. The funeral took place on Tueaday, when the body of the unfortunate man was interred in the Warooka cemetery, Mr. Thomson reading the burial service in the presence of a few local residents and a portion of the ship's company. As far as known, the deceased, who was mach esteemed by his ship mates, has no telatives in this colony.

Essays on the holidays.

Fri 15 Mar 1907, Kapunda Herald (SA : 1878 - 1951) Trove

—How I spent a Day of my Holidays. ' What is the weather like ?" " Oh, just lovely ! Come and look at the clear blue sky ! What a beautiful day we will have !" These were our exclamations the morning of the day we intended to spend at the sea side. Our destination was Hardwicke Bay, a beautiful spot, situated on Spencer's Gulf, about 12 miles north-west of Yorketown. At about 9 o'clock everything was packed put onto the van, and off we started. We arrived there after two hours driving. First of all we had lunch, which we all very much enjoyed after our long drive. Then we proceeded to climb the beautiful snow-white sandhills, which hid the sea from our view. When we reached the top of the last hill, we could overlook the country around us for some distance. Before us lie the sea so calm and beautiful, and with such exquisite coloring that it quite dazzled our eyes. Down the hill we ran to the water's edge, and all strolled along in different directions looking for shells, and greatly amusing ourselves. But the best amusement for the young folks was bathing. One of the girls could swim and tried to teach the rest of us ; it was great fun. Then we all had a turn at floating, watching the azure sky at the time. After much paddling and splashing around in the smoother water, and it was time to come out, and we all agreed that a fresh sea bath was a great benefit on a hot summer's day. After having some grand games on the sand we went for another dip, and feeling very hungry after this, we made our way back to where the eatables were waiting to be devoured, and had an enjoyable tea. To our surprise the sun was sinking low, and also a drizzling rain set in, so we had to get ready to go. The time had passed too quickly altogether. Nevertheless, we enjoyed our drive home immensely.

If you want to spend a lovely day, Just take a drive to Handwicke Bay.

Dora Hoopnrann,

Age 15 years, Yorketown Private School, Yorke's Peninsula.

Mrs. Murdock, sen.

Fri 3 Apr 1908, Australian Christian Commonwealth (SA : 1901 - 1940)

On Monday, February 28, there passed away at Warooka a lady who was one of the early pioneers of Yorke Peninsula. The decased "lady, whose maiden name was Hannah Tonkin, was born in Cornwall, and arrived in this State in 1847. She married Mr. Murdock, in 1849, and arrived at Warooka in 1873. Whilst residing for the better part of thirty-five years at Hardwicke Bay Farm, Mrs, Murdock and her family have, been interested in and connected with our Church; Her husband died in 1897. Mrs. Murdock leaves ten children—eight sons and two daughters—fifty-nine grandchildren, and seven great-grandchildren. Au in memoriam service was held at the Warooka Church on March 22.


State Library of South Australia- PRG 280/1/24/269 - Men working to refloat the ketch 'Oscar Robinson' which was washed ashore in Hardwicke Bay, Yorke's Peninsula, South Australia, on 8 August 1920.


Sat 28 Aug 1920, Chronicle (Adelaide, SA : 1895 - 1954) Trove

BLOWN ASHORE BY A GALE. During the recent rough weather the Oscar Robinson was blown ashore in Hardwick Bay, Yorke's Peninsula. The picture shows the 'vessel high and dry on the beach.


Sat 23 Oct 1920, Observer (Adelaide, SA : 1905 - 1931) Trove

The ketch Oscar Robinson, which was washed ashore in Hardwick Hay, Yorke Peninsula, on Sunday night, August 8, arrived at Port Adelaide on Tuesday, October 19. photos


State Library of South Australia- PRG 280/1/30/262 - Men working to refloat the ketch 'Oscar Robinson' which washed ashore in Hardwicke Bay, Yorke's Peninsula, South Australia, on 8 August 1920.


State Library of South Australia- PRG 280/1/39/90 - The ketch 'Oscar Robinson' washed ashore in Hardwicke Bay, Yorke's Peninsula, South Australia, on 8 August 1920.


Fri 4 Feb 1927, The Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954) Trove

A fire occurred recently at Poin Tnrton with almost disastrous results. A fisherman camped at Hardwinck Bay, finding his hut too warm, lit a fire in the open to boil his billy. The long, dry grass caught fire and spread with alarming rapidity towaid the homestead of Mr. J. D. Penhale and the stubble crop of Mr. A. W. Murdoch. Mr. Penhale and the men working at the wheat sheds near the jetty quickly got on the scene, and after a hard half an hour's strennons work the fire was conquered. It was not a sermon that Mr. Penbahe delivered to the fisherman!


Fri 20 Dec 1929, The Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954) Trove

A Popular Camping Ground. Many camping parties from the city and other places, are expected to pitch their tents at Point Turton, Hardwicke Bay. Corney Point, Pondolowie Bay, Port Moorowie, and Port Vincent, during the holidays. Last Xmas vacation all the beaches were popular and many campers spent pleasant times under canvas. The southern end of Yorke Peninsula is well worth a visit. The scenery is romantic, and there are some splendid inlets and bays very suitable for boating parties. We note that our local boat builder has been busily engaged during the last week or so; have also noticed that the out-board motor is becoming popular. It is a splendid attachment for cutting out the hard work in rowing a heavy boat.


Fri 7 Nov 1930, The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1889 - 1931) Trove

Sir — Being one of the two men ship-wrecked on the fishing cutter Fosice, on Monday, November 2. at 2 p.m., off Hardwicke Bay, in Spencer Gulf, I would very much like to thank, through the columns of "The Advertiser," Mr. Brick Williams, of Yorketown, for his heroic effort in a big sea, to save me after I had been battling for my life for an hour and a half; also to thank for their kindness and attention Mr. and Mrs. Poidevin, Mr. Erroll Lines, and Mr. Charlie Boundy.

The cutter Fosice belonged to Mr. Ernie Knudsen, with whom I was a working partner, and who was with me on the ill-fated boat at the time of the wreck. We were caught in a heavy gale with a sea running practically 20 ft. high, when our rigging carried away. Then the gaff broke, and following that the boom gave away, leaving us with only a jib, with which it was impossible to carry on and make our intended anchorage, Point Turton. We were racing before a northerly gale when our tackling gave way. The wind chopping around to the west prevented us from beating towards the Point. The anchor and grappling were lowered, and held fast a mile from shore. We wanted to see if the boat would ride the storm out. Mr. Knudsen said it would only be a matter of time before she would smash to pieces. He left the boat for the shore on the rudder and safely arrived.

I stuck to the cutter, thinking there might be a chance of the weather settling down, and that the boat would be saved. But with the seas so big, the cabin soon filled with water. Then I also took to the sea with the only article available to help me float — the can which held the drinking water. After being in ths sea for about half an hour I was still in line with the cutter, but two miles away, and no nearer the shore. Later the wind changed slightly and gave me my advantage for making shorewards; but after such a long battle in such a heavy sea, I started to lose my senses. I am told that Mr. Brick Williams came out on the reef neck deep in water. It was a dangerous position, but he safely brought me ashore, where I received kind attention. The boat later was battered to a total wreck. The Fosice was a cutter 21 ft. long and 8 ft. beam, with an engine. She was lately advertised for sale in "The Advertiser." —

I am. Sir. &c. PATRICK McMAHON, Port Victoria.


Thu 3 Aug 1933, News (Adelaide, SA : 1923 - 1954) Trove

The couchologist at the museum (Mr. B. C. Cotton) will leave tomorrow to dredge for shells near Hardwicke Bay. Mr. Cotton will be absent until Mionday. He will be accompanied by Mr. E. T. Wheare, of Ardrossan, who is a keen! shell collector. Mr. Cotton describes the scene of his dredging as the best place in South Australia for collecting shells.


Tue 8 Aug 1933, News (Adelaide, SA : 1923 - 1954) Trove

A sea-horse and a living penguin were secured by Mr. B. C. Cotton,- conchologist at the Adelaide Museum. during his week-end trip on the western coast of Yorke's Peninsula. He took a small movie camera with him and made a short film record of his work along the coast. He included a "shot" of the penguin, which is, a rarity on the peninsulacoCast in iIts l;re state. The bird had apparently been forced ashore in a weakened condition. for it lived only for a day. The sea horse, which was nine inches lona. was a particularly fresh specimen, and was intact. It was immediately preserved in spirits. Mr. Cotton also obtained several living mutton fish shells. During the weekend he covered 250 miles by motor car. He had intended to conduct dredging operations at Hardwicke Bay, but the sea wa, too rough.

The Fishing Industry.

Fri 18 Aug 1933, The Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954) Trove

A petition is being signed for presentation to Government to prevent the use of deep-sea nets on the whiting grounds at Hardwicke Bay. It is hoped that the Inspector of Fisheries will look into the matter, as the use of a deep-sea net in shallow waters has the effect of causing a good marketable fish to take its departure to unknown regions. The use of deep sea nets on the whiting grounds at Hardwicke Bay greatly interferes with the livelihood of a number of local fishermen.

Ketch Goes Ashore In Dark Near Jetty at Port Turton.

Sat 11 May 1935, The Mail (Adelaide, SA : 1912 - 1954) Trove

SAID TO BE LEAKING BADLY. News was received in Adelaide tonight that the auxiliary ketch Forbes Bros, was groping her way along in the dark when she went ashore near the jetty at Port Turton, in Hardwicke Bay, shortly before daylight today.

A north wind this afternoon drove the vessel further on to the shore, and she began to leak rather seriously. Mr. T. H. Webb, jun., of Toorak, partowner of the ketch, said tonight that she was in no danger, although the extent of the damage was unknown. With a south-westerly wind there should be no difficulty in refloating her. A salvage party, with pumps and other gear, left Adelaide tonight for Port Turton, which is an isolated place on the south-west of Yorke's Peninsula. They expect to reach the scene of the grounding tomorrow morning after an all-night drive. After loading superphosphates, the Forbes Bros was on her way back to Port Adelaide. It is understood that the ketch was making slowly for the jetty at Port Turton, on which there was no light.

Built on the Macquarie River in New South Wales in 1914, the Forbes Bros., which had a registered tonnage of between 50 and 60. has been trading in South Australian waters for several years. She is commanded by Capt. L. C Harvey, who is also one of the part owners, and has a crew of four.


Speed Racing At Hardwicke Bay

Thu 2 Feb 1939, The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1931 - 1954) Trove

The Central Yorke Peninsula Motor Cycle Club, one of the earliest clubs to become affiliated with the M.C.C. of S.A.. has overcome the membership difficulty experienced during the depression, and now conducts an outstanding competition — the annual speed meeting at Hardwicke Bay. The meeting was held on Monday.

Hardwicke Bay beach is in some respects similar to Sellicks Beach, but only a narrow track, considerably softer than Sellick's, is available for high speed racing. The narrow track, together with a good entry, made it necessary to run the programme of five events in heats.

Jack martin rode well to register fastest time In the four-mile event, and George Miles recorded fastest time in the five-mile race. Miles had to concede 2 min. 15 sec. to the winner of this race.

MacFarlane was the principal prizewinner, having two wins, one second and third. Parsons had two firsts and two seconds, and Syd Munford showed good form. "Jake" Cook, believed to be South Australia's veteran country competitor, was mounted on a machine with which he won races nearly 20 rears ago. He was placed in several events. Results:— Five-mile Handicap—J. MacFarlane: 3. Parsons; S. Munford. Four-mile Handicap— J. MacFarlane: J. Parsons; H. H. Cook. Threemile Handicap—J. Parsons: S Munford; A. Parsons. Two-mile Handicap—J. Parsons; H. Cook: J. MacFarlane. One-mile Handicap— Hickman; J. MacFarlane; S. Munford.

Strange Find at Hardwicke Bay

Fri 9 May 1952, The Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954) Trove

Mr. George Gough, a fisherman, found a large block of rubber washed up on the beach at Hardwicke Bay this week. It was a foot square and three feet in length. He contacted the Marine Board, who told him it was part of the cargo of a ship sunk during the war. Very little has been recovered and returned to the Board; this lot would be about the fourth find.

Mr. Gough found two broken teeth embedded in the rubber, a fair distance apart, and is sending them to the Museum to find out what type of flsh had a bite at the block. The pieces were about three inches and two inches long respectively.

Teeth Belonged to Swordfish

Fri 23 May 1952, The Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954) Trove

A fortnight ago, we recorded in "The Pioneer" the finding of a large block of raw rubber at Hardwicke Bay by Mr. George Gough. Embedded in this bale were what appeared to be several teeth. Mr. Gough sent the pieces to the S.A. Museum for identification. The Museum Director returned the following information.

The specimen forwarded on the 8th instant has been identified as the tip of the "sword" of a Spear Fish, probably the species Xiphias Gladius. "These fish often drive their greatly elongated snouts into floating objects such as boats, drift-wood etc., embedding and often breaking off the tip. The species is not particularly common in South Australian waters, but a 12 ft. specimen was taken recently at Port Lowly, in the lower South-east of South Australia."

Stung by Fish

Fri 20 Feb 1953, The Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954) Trove

While fishing in a boat at Hardwicke Bay Sunday. Mr. Gus Domaschenz, of Yorketown, hauled aboard a blue garnett. In his endeavours to take it off the hook, he was stung by one of its fins. In excruciating pain, Mr. Domaschenz, with his son-in-law Mr. Len Hall, hastened the three miles to the shore for medical attention. A Yorketown doctor gave him several injections to relieve the pain.

Mr. Domaschenz recovered the next day.

The blue garnet, although a pretty fish and edible can inflict painful wounds with poison from its fins.

The victim was stung in he palm; the back of the hand swelled, then the elbow of that arm was affected and soon after, the poison caused a temporary paralysis of the jaw.

Seal Seen at Hardwicke Bay

Fri 17 Apr 1953, The Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954) Trove

A seal has been reported swimming in Hardwick Bay by Messrs. Jack Angus and Gus Rohrig, who saw it last Sunday morning when on a fishing trip. When they first saw it, it was lazing on top of the water a short distance from the shore, and on closer inspection; it refused to move very far off. It seemed very tame, as it kept swimming around the boat for some time.

Bullet Hole in Boat

Fri 29 Jan 1954, The Pioneer (Yorketown, SA : 1898 - 1954) Trove

Following on the shooting of a horse and a dog during the holiday weeks, some more reckless shooting has been reported. A boat at Hardwicke Bay, owned by Mr. G. F. Rohrig, was found with a bullet hole in it. Children playing in other boats moored there have been noticed lately. Ropes and oars have been undone and lost. In one case, children lifted the anchor from one dinghy; next day the craft was found four miles seaward. Fisherman say that, with the present cost of boats and the high maintenance costs, careless actions such as these are not appreciated.